Diary of a Know Nothing Newbie

• Thread starter Kopper1013
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kopper1013

Hey y’all so the Title says it all!

I’m totally new to the game. Growing up we had a vegetable garden and last year me and my wife had our very first vegetable garden, but let’s face it buying a plant thats already established is a lot easier than raising something from a seed and I killed some of those anyways hahaha.
My buddy talked me into trying this out this year and I’m such a nervous partner lol.
I started keeping a diary when I started, then had a question and couldn’t find answers and stumbled across this website. A couple guys where very helpful which led me to starting this post.
My thought is I’m already keeping a diary so might as well make it public and maybe some of y’all would get a kick out of sharing advice and watching someone new be successful through your guidance.

So enough about that, here’s what I got, my plan and where we are at.

My seeds are from growers choice
I have (2) Train Wrecks (1) Green Crack and (1) Grandaddy Purple

I followed their procedure for germination

4/23/22 soaked seeds for 17hrs in distilled water

4/24/22 used seedling water to soak paper towels (3 layers under 3 on top) cover in foil placed on fridge

4/26/22 checked on seeds
tap roots and some leaves sprouted took down stairs
soaked fox farms potting soil
used pencil to poke hole and planted seed

4/28/22 couple seedlings poking through dirt

Turned on light 75% 24” above the top of pots
Light is a yehsence YE2000 LED light
Started fan
18hr on 6 off
Started rotating plants front to back
1/4 turn everyday

5/1/22
Diary of a know nothing newbie

Diary of a know nothing newbie 2

5/2/22 lowered light to 18” above top of plants
95% power

5/5/22 lowered light to 14” above plants

5/7/22 first feeding of fox farm grow big 1tsp per gallon

5/10/22 second feeding of above grow mix
Diary of a know nothing newbie 3
Diary of a know nothing newbie 4
5/13/22 third feeding of grow mix
Moved them to the garage window for some natural light plus warmth

5/15/22 came home noticed two plants with small brown spots and yellow rings around them, could be nutrient burn, cal-mag deficiency or maybe light was to close and water burned the leaves. Raised lights to 16” above foliage.
Diary of a know nothing newbie 5
Diary of a know nothing newbie 6
Diary of a know nothing newbie 7

5/16/22 collected 4 gallons of rain water and switching over to that NO MORE DISTILLED WATER!!!!!

Info I got from my other post.

5/19/22 first feeding of Cal-Mag 1tsp per gallon
Diary of a know nothing newbie 8
Diary of a know nothing newbie 9
Diary of a know nothing newbie 10
Diary of a know nothing newbie 11

My watering isn’t really on here as I water almost daily….

My plan is to keep them in these 6” pots unless y’all say pot up until Father’s Day weekend. Then we’ll have almost 16hrs of day light here. At that point I’ll pot up to 25gal fabric pots with a mix of fox farm ocean forest, happy from and coco-loco and move outside (I will start hardening them of beginning of June).

Question: why aren’t they getting taller??🤷🏼‍♂️

Look forward to sharing my journey with y’all.

Thanks for any and all advice!!

steamroller

steamroller

Nice job popping the seeds. 👍
Don't water daily.
Wait till pot feels lite and is dry.
Seedlings do not need any light over 50% if it is a decent light .
Don't worry about spot on first leave, it will not matter soon.
What soil are you in and be careful mixing coco with soil..
What light are you using ?

K

Kopper1013

My light is yehsence YE2000 LED light currently 16” above foliage…

I’m currently in fox Farm Ocean Forest

So I fed Cal-Mag last night

And a few leaves are making me nervous
F1F4422B 269D 42D5 ADDE C192C60BD431
E70CAA1E 4831 4EB4 BBD2 A0CE4192E70A

My ph meter and EC meter showed

I’ve been feeding just rain water since Monday

But here’s my readings
29444B76 A523 4E04 8CE6 4AECF4BFF854
D0D3F4F0 F49C 4402 9E2E EDF7E31F718E
88A1D4D1 0B64 454C BE49 D230E57F4B3B

Looks like I need to adjust my water PH??
How dose one do that?
I’ll get a reading tomorrow somehow on the soil currently
Also I have no idea what to look for on the TDS or EC readings

steamroller

steamroller

No pro here ,but I would not worry much .
Your water is soft and will take ferts nicely without adjustment .
I have grown in FF and did not pH my water at all.
The run off is always proper as the soil adjusts the water.
Only reason to mess with pH is if you are having a lockout because of pH.
Soil is not at all like growing in coco, where you need to manage every aspect of what you need.
The soil helps you.
The readings are just a baseline to understand what you are starting with .

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I’d just be careful with the fox farm neuts I use them all as well and I use 1/2 of recommended dose per their feeding schedule. That being said so far I’m having great results with FF happy frog soil and using their neuts

I have the same EC/PPm and PH meter as you as well

Also using growers choice seeds, all autos Gorilla glue/ candy Kush / and Hindu Kush
Welcome and looking foreword to seeing your progress!

K

Kopper1013

Thanks guys!
Do you guys think they need to be fed any nutrients yet Or when do you start feeding for my size pots?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
In happy frog I started 1/4 recommended neuts at 3 weeks from sprout form soil, week 4 (today) I fed 1/2 recommended dose of each, I will stick with 1/2 dose through the grow changing from grow to tiger bloom probably next week still giving a bit of the grow for one more week and see how it rolls

Observationist

Observationist

In happy frog I started 1/4 recommended neuts at 3 weeks from sprout form soil, week 4 (today) I fed 1/2 recommended dose of each, I will stick with 1/2 dose through the grow changing from grow to tiger bloom probably next week still giving a bit of the grow for one more week and see how it rolls
I think you’ll still use grow in bloom stage

Just a smaller dose

Plant still needs all of the nutrients just different ratios for different stages of the life cycle

Observationist

Observationist

Too early to be pouring nutes to them. Fox farm will actually carry them up until almost flower stage. PH is actually very important. Did you calibrate that pen?
If he’s doing organics, ph will balance its self out

Don’t have to ph organics

Along with fox farm has a buffer in it as well.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I think you’ll still use grow in bloom stage

Just a smaller dose

Plant still needs all of the nutrients just different ratios for different stages of the life cycle
That’s what I keep reading the schedule looks like it drops down but continues use in small amounts, trying to switch to the full organic neut line they have and keep up in the microbe, next run I think I’ll switch from the FFHF and try some promos as it’s available at a greenhouse near me (same one that sell the full fox farm soil and neut lineup both liquid and dry amendments) gunna study all that while I continue this grow I heard a lot of good talk about Gaia Green soil amendments I’ve been looking into those to try and build my own soil next run

Observationist

Observationist

Nice job popping the seeds. 👍
Don't water daily.
Wait till pot feels lite and is dry.
Seedlings do not need any light over 50% if it is a decent light .
Don't worry about spot on first leave, it will not matter soon.
What soil are you in and be careful mixing coco with soil..
What light are you using ?
It’s advised to mix a little coco with soil, helps loosen the compactness of it as well.

Observationist

Observationist

That’s what I keep reading the schedule looks like it drops down but continues use in small amounts, trying to switch to the full organic neut line they have and keep up in the microbe, next run I think I’ll switch from the FFHF and try some promos as it’s available at a greenhouse near me (same one that sell the full fox farm soil and neut lineup both liquid and dry amendments) gunna study all that while I continue this grow I heard a lot of good talk about Gaia Green soil amendments I’ve been looking into those to try and build my own soil next run
If you go with organics

Watch canucksgrow on YouTube he uses Gaia green dry amendments

Observationist

Observationist

Yup

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
If you go with organics

Watch canucksgrow on YouTube he uses Gaia green dry amendments
Yep that’s exactly who I saw it from 😁

Already have both that he uses in my cart on Amazon lol, I have a local store that sells the full line of promix mediums and also the full line up of fox farm mediums and all their dry amendments and liquid neuts (I went with liquid this time) even if I don’t use all the neuts I have, I have plenty of plants that would appreciate the neuts this summer 😁

The big beds all have 100% organic dark leg compost with cardboard under it (6” of compost over the cardboard) working on a No till garden (permaculture) focuses on microbes to feed the soil got that set up around march so cardboard is pretty broken down underneath when I dug down to check

906C56D1 1248 4DD0 8073 0EEB6BE9328E
CCB13350 5B8B 44BE BFD9 44297537BA46
180A518B 2FCD 4B0B A0FF 265739911C09
EACA5903 2807 4068 87D3 D298C8C04D6A
Observationist

Observationist

Yep that’s exactly who I saw it from 😁

Already have both that he uses in my cart on Amazon lol, I have a local store that sells the full line of promix mediums and also the full line up of fox farm mediums and all their dry amendments and liquid neuts (I went with liquid this time) even if I don’t use all the neuts I have, I have plenty of plants that would appreciate the neuts this summer 😁

The big beds all have 100% organic dark leg compost with cardboard under it (6” of compost over the cardboard) working on a No till garden (permaculture) focuses on microbes to feed the soil got that set up around march so cardboard is pretty broken down underneath when I dug down to check
beautiful big yard

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
beautiful big yard
Thank you, backyard soil is a nice sandy loom, the ancient creek bed is my backyard, back about 1,000 years ago the river was level with my property and my yard was part of the river or river edge, lost of sand and river rock in my yard mixed with the dirt really loose and great for roots to expand behind the back of my fence is about 30 feet of yard with trees then a cliff that drops down to where the river is now

This is what is at the bottom of the cliff ( about 35-40 feet below my property level) top notch salmon and trout and bass fishing 😁👌👌

ECD8A82D 6541 4BB5 B53C 6CD9DE926C1A
750F09B3 76D1 4D1B A337 18150E10893D
N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Stop the fertilization your little plants are already too dark and don't require much nutes to begin with. And these are in the soil, so you jus have to give water at the right time - when pot is light.
You can add some CalMag to your rainwater begin by ppm +75, and increase that slowly up to 150 over the course of the next weeks
Don't do bloom nutes in veg, or try to pH adjust in soil if using rainwater
Once the leaves visibly brightens up (whole plant) start fertilizing by 1/4th to half of the recommend dosage
Good luck

K

Kopper1013

So lol this is what I’m gathering from y’all so far

Am I considered organic cause I’m in soil (curiosity question)

DONT feed these girls yet, ocean forest has everything I need and probably when I go in to the 25 gallon pots with fox farm I’m still not really gonna have to feed for awhile…..so when dose one feed? As a Know Nothing Newbie i think it’s our tendency (or at least mine) to wanna keep watered and make them grow through feeding… I bought FF grow big and big bloom but definitely don’t need to use if I don’t need to, again just tryin to survive my heavy hand right now hahahaha

Also I can stay with CalMag is that with every water, every other water or…??

I’ll post pictures tomorrow checked on them today and something happened last night 😊😊

Observationist

Observationist

So lol this is what I’m gathering from y’all so far

Am I considered organic cause I’m in soil (curiosity question)

DONT feed these girls yet, ocean forest has everything I need and probably when I go in to the 25 gallon pots with fox farm I’m still not really gonna have to feed for awhile…..so when dose one feed? As a Know Nothing Newbie i think it’s our tendency (or at least mine) to wanna keep watered and make them grow through feeding… I bought FF grow big and big bloom but definitely don’t need to use if I don’t need to, again just tryin to survive my heavy hand right now hahahaha

Also I can stay with CalMag is that with every water, every other water or…??

I’ll post pictures tomorrow checked on them today and something happened last night 😊😊
I haven’t need to buy calmag product yet

Just tap water and Epsom salts

Latest posts

Top Bottom