Diatomaceous Earth And Mycorrhiza

• Thread starter Caninobis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Caninobis

Caninobis

Does anyone know if DE will kill Mycorrhiza? I’d like to add some to my medium but I’m afraid it will kill the myco and I can’t seem to find anything about it on google. If anyone has some experience with DE or are currently using it along with myco your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys! Thanks to all the awesome people on this forum I have one of the best looking plants I’ve ever grown and I owe a lot of the credit to y’all so thanks for that!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

DE is crushed oyster shell flour,the little chars left cut them bugs up mainly worms,it is a organic choice,but when apply dont go whole hog and make soil look like snow,rather sprinkle on lightly,you can even put it on your leaves lightly,i dont but you can with a bad infestion,i prefer not using it on indoor soil in containers,seems even top scratched in after a while it gets like a sand layer in the soil,but does very well at what it is supose to do.
by the way de is a source of calcium too

Caninobis

Caninobis

DE is crushed oyster shell flour,the little chars left cut them bugs up mainly worms,it is a organic choice,but when apply dont go whole hog and make soil look like snow,rather sprinkle on lightly,you can even put it on your leaves lightly,i dont but you can with a bad infestion,i prefer not using it on indoor soil in containers,seems even top scratched in after a while it gets like a sand layer in the soil,but does very well at what it is supose to do.

Sweet thanks dude I appreciate it! Same to you @DistyDemon! Appreciate the help.

This is my plant so far. I wouldn’t say I have an infestation. I can’t actually find any bugs but I’m seeing some evidence of thrips on 1 or 2 bottom leaves and something has taken a small chunk out of a single finger on like 5 different leaves but I can’t seem to spot either of the culprits. Today I found what looked like a tiny baby lady bug but I removed it and killed it just in case.

7F5AFC28 7292 44CA A874 1824B0A05FD8
2FE3B5C4 703E 4F30 8788 92076B1B4263
10358C47 52D8 4B44 9A2B CFDE6A2047D7
9E8E3263 055E 4374 8B6B 6FC8CF86BCE3
94613747 79A4 4947 BA00 0A46275FAD43

zzzybil

zzzybil

i KNOW it's NOT crushed oyster shells...... it's some form of silica from diatoms which idk micro bug ?..... a little bit made my worms evacuate - dead in saucer. Fine to mix into chicken food to kill / prevent parasites . My intuition thinks bad for worms and good for chickens = bad for microbes ?????????

lOOking for a more geeky answer that's for sure . Good for stems tho idk where i got that or if its true.

ONLY thing i'm sure of is DON'T breath it !

Caninobis

Caninobis

i KNOW it's NOT crushed oyster shells...... it's some form of silica from diatoms which idk micro bug ?..... a little bit made my worms evacuate - dead in saucer. Fine to mix into chicken food to kill / prevent parasites . My intuition thinks bad for worms and good for chickens = bad for microbes ?????????

lOOking for a more geeky answer that's for sure . Good for stems tho idk where i got that or if its true.

ONLY thing i'm sure of is DON'T breath it !

So I found this. I’m thinking that since the myco doesn’t need to be kept wet to survive it should be fine if I add the DE because if it does get dried out then it’ll just come back when I water again right? I mean they sell the stuff in saw dust and that sucks up moisture too doesn’t it? Thoughts anyone?

38BF1133 4812 4F7D BD80 55FF8998EB43

zzzybil

zzzybil

still looking for the geeky answer from a ''microbe'' knowledgeable person...... totally enjoy the explanations and pearls of wisdom ! Opinions are useful tho i really enjoy the educators !!!!!!!!!!! taking the time to explain stuff ................... tho ec and ppm are really beyond my comprehension and pay grade . Trying to keep it simple and organic , believing bennies and microbe happiness are prolly better than my lame efforts . Besides I can't afford the smancy foods & bottles

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
DE is fossilized diatoms, microscopic organisms. And no it will not kill mycos. It kills bugs because on a microscopic level, its sharp and cuts their exoskeleton so they dry out and die. Has no effect on fungal or bacterial populations.

Caninobis

Caninobis

DE is fossilized diatoms, microscopic organisms. And no it will not kill mycos. It kills bugs because on a microscopic level, its sharp and cuts their exoskeleton so they dry out and die. Has no effect on fungal or bacterial populations.

Thanks dude.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

No de is fossilized diatoms and is mostly silica.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sorry didnt see your post yet when i answered.

Caninobis

Caninobis

I just went ahead and sprinkled the plants with a bit of DE before I read any new answers. Figured I’d chance it and if someone says it does kill the myco I’ll add more but I’m glad my judgement was on point this time! Thanks guys! Flipping this girl to flower on Saturday. Now the real fun begins. She’s about 16” tall right now but she’s trellised so I’m figuring I lost at least 4-6” and if it’s going to double in height it might outgrow my damn tent so I’m a bit worried but we shall see. The strain is J1 anyone have experience growing this strain? Is it known to get pretty tall? I’ve heard some Sativas can even triple in size.

zzzybil

zzzybil

Does not work when wet, most folks I know top dress the medium with it.
Wellllllllll assuming the additive to chicken feed for parasites ?????? must work WET too inside the dang chicken . Then there's the available silica for stem strength ? uhhhhhh mixed into soil or watered in WET right ? Haha clear as mud to me...................... Not jerkin your chain...................... no doubt to be effective as a flying or crawling bug killer DRY powder dusting on top the target area IS the optimum application . totally no argument there

Then this microscopic jagged stuff won't hurt microscopic microbial bennies just big fat worms ? EITHER in soil or a chicken's inerds ........... just bad stuff ??????? not the good guys ->There's where my inquiring mind hits a snag....... Amazing it's touted as a feed additive for chickens - obviously not bad for them . Throw it in the coop to control mites .... wow magic stuff

and IS IT a useful pennies VS expensive rhino or whatever breeder rec'd / associated or snazzy marketing packaged SILICA for stem health / strength ? Which beyond the non toxic ( (( AS LONG AS YOU DON'T BREATHE IT ))) makes this simple RELATIVELY C H E A P dust a BEST KEPT secret !!

Bad for bad bugs , doesn't hurt bennies , makes stems strong and so cheap it's almost free ????????? Sounds too good to be true right ? That's the kicker LOL........the reason i'd like to hear a microbe guy - the geeky , educated explanation of safe for bennies..... I can understand HOW a fan makes stems stronger , or HOW a cooler or dryer enviroment can eliminate fungus gnats ..........

Just can't wrap my head around don't worry about the bennies.......... USUALLY if something is too good to be true........... Who HERE is the indo /exo microbe guy ........$hitz and giggles like to hear THAT amen

basscaptain

basscaptain

I'm going to go with it's good .........> Cause I got some before seeing this and applyed to my vegs to see how they do before I hit the bitch's

so now I read a little goes a long way....>>>>>>>>>>>> my stuff looks like it snowed in there LOL >>>>>>>>>>>>> rolling the dice and moving on lol

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm going to go with it's good .........> Cause I got some before seeing this and applyed to my vegs to see how they do before I hit the bitch's

so now I read a little goes a long way....>>>>>>>>>>>> my stuff looks like it snowed in there LOL >>>>>>>>>>>>> rolling the dice and moving on lol
well i obviousely cant read a label myself seeing how i just bought a 50lb bag of crushed oyster shell flour 4 months ago and represented as dem hell i cant spell the shit,not geeky enough yet but working on it,did get it cheap though 12 bucks for 50 lbs,like magic all slugs ,bore worms,snails and grubs,seen the white light and just went to neighbors yard i guess,damn grass hoppers didnt even like it must have thought the fixing to enter the salt plains of arizonia or were ever that salt flat is,im just not geeky yet,just a flat lander,wonder how long this supply of fossils will last seeing it not oysters now,my dumb ass even thought oysters are so good for stanima maybe if would give my beenies a hard on ,damn you learn something new every day ,fell for that false advertising again,but hey im blaming this big scrath on my trifocal lenses not science my mistake hahahahah.
for the feller just looking for a thrill,straight up poision do the job for ya and you want even have to bitch no mo,lmao

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

Wellllllllll assuming the additive to chicken feed for parasites ?????? must work WET too inside the dang chicken . Then there's the available silica for stem strength ? uhhhhhh mixed into soil or watered in WET right ? Haha clear as mud to me...................... Not jerkin your chain...................... no doubt to be effective as a flying or crawling bug killer DRY powder dusting on top the target area IS the optimum application . totally no argument there

Then this microscopic jagged stuff won't hurt microscopic microbial bennies just big fat worms ? EITHER in soil or a chicken's inerds ........... just bad stuff ??????? not the good guys ->There's where my inquiring mind hits a snag....... Amazing it's touted as a feed additive for chickens - obviously not bad for them . Throw it in the coop to control mites .... wow magic stuff

and IS IT a useful pennies VS expensive rhino or whatever breeder rec'd / associated or snazzy marketing packaged SILICA for stem health / strength ? Which beyond the non toxic ( (( AS LONG AS YOU DON'T BREATHE IT ))) makes this simple RELATIVELY C H E A P dust a BEST KEPT secret !!

Bad for bad bugs , doesn't hurt bennies , makes stems strong and so cheap it's almost free ????????? Sounds too good to be true right ? That's the kicker LOL........the reason i'd like to hear a microbe guy - the geeky , educated explanation of safe for bennies..... I can understand HOW a fan makes stems stronger , or HOW a cooler or dryer enviroment can eliminate fungus gnats ..........

Just can't wrap my head around don't worry about the bennies.......... USUALLY if something is too good to be true........... Who HERE is the indo /exo microbe guy ........$hitz and giggles like to hear THAT amen

You could do a 15 second google search and find the answers yourself.

Personally, if EC and PPM are beyond your ken, I doubt a scientific explanation from the indo /exo microbe guy is going to do you much good either.

Then again, what do I know? I'm just some guy who's been growing in a closet for 30 years.

You do you baby. You go you.

zzzybil

zzzybil

You could do a 15 second google search and find the answers yourself.

Personally, if EC and PPM are beyond your ken, I doubt a scientific explanation from the indo /exo microbe guy is going to do you much good either.

Then again, what do I know? I'm just some guy who's been growing in a closet for 30 years.

You do you baby. You go you.
Dude who peed in your cherrios ? leave the 15 second link if you're so inclined or think i haven't .

I don't wanna or need to be familiar with the bennies indo/exo etc etc etc - what each does or be a bennie expert. I bought some - now i don't want to kill them and we can disagree if that's not important . No need for scientific reason JUST DOES IT KILL'M........

JUST WANNA KNOW IF DE KILLS MICROBES TOO ? opinions on what a great bug defense - no arguement but its a fair question how far down the chain does it kill........

No doubt crushed / floured oyster shells are a great supplement and DE has great advantages too

personally if you've got a handle on ec and ppm good for you rock on......No need to be harsh just saying if you're so smart yuh coulda gave me the 15 second search link ! instead of being a douche about it ...... i 've been looking for the definitive effect on microbes BY DE ............. never found it ! Also wonder if ph down is harmful to microbes or if lemon juice or vinegar would be preferable for microbe health or if it even matters .............. A product CAN be good and serve a purpose and have pros/cons ........

Someone fighting bug attacks is not going to realistically care if their healthy soil microbes are harmed if they can save their plants ..KILL THE BUGS......however the healthy soil advocate without a bug problem it's a FAIR QUESTION..........

IDK if its fair to say DE is a viable silica supplement . SILLY me thought a forum was a good place for discussion . Not interested in what your smug attitude thinks is going to do me much good .......... 30 yrs in a closet and allllllll yuh got is ''don't work when wet '' and yuh dis me ?? for wanting more in depth info

I

Latest posts

Top Bottom