differences in strains

• Thread starter TheTommyK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheTommyK

TheTommyK

Gardeners and patients alike,
I have a discussion topic for ya....

I wonder if all these strain developments are really making real differences? Or is it more of the growing which makes the largest difference?

I am currently growing some bubba kush and some sativa (unknown strain.... But I surmise it's a haze of some sort.... I call it rolling stone) and I can tell the difference both in growing and on the end product of both. I have some trainwreck comming along and we will we how it differs .....

I ask this because, I see all of the stats quoted on %ages and yield..... And I don't think I am anywhere near close.... so is it the strain or the growth? If the answer is both, does either have a larger affect? Any suggestions as to a strain which is quick and easy to grow (I am now starting to super crop .... So a lst and fimable strain) that produces a good yield with a strong effect? Or am I asking for the moon?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Everyone's looking for that strain that both yields great and has that knock-out punch. Then you've got to consider all the variables of the growing, the individual plant, etc. All I can tell you is this--if you're looking for a fimmable, LST-able, scroggable or soggable our outdoor-doable strain that's going to help you make some serious weight, I like the Chemdog lines for that. They're hermie-prone, though! So to me there's always a trade-off, ya dig?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

TK I could write a book on the subject but just for a start most seed growers are no different than any business person, they're in it for the money and it is big money. They say a pix is worth a 1000 words, this is what most seed producers look like

Facebook 09

So for example a few years back High Times announced the 10 top strains for the year and I had bought one of them about 3 months before the announcement. Well I grew it out and it was not bad but I thought it was way over rated. Well my buddies grew theirs out and it looked nothing like what I had. So what happened here, my guess is the HT article created so much demand that they sold out but, do you say were out or send out other seeds? If it's a few orders ya O(K but what if you have a few 100 orders what do you do. This is what Mark Emery was faced with and we know what he did.

But the good news is there are some great beans out there you just need to find one that really does do and grow like the breeder says.

So in my experience most seeds are over rated in every way, THC %, days to flower, yield and all the other goodies.

Your ability to grow is a big factor in this question, if all things are equal, the grower is the wild card.

The other thing is just about everyone lies about what they yield as we want to look good and great. If you're getting 1 lb from a 1000w your average, if you're getting 1 to 1 1/2 your good, if your getting 2 lb you in the top 20% of growers and if your 2+ you're in the top 8% IMHO.

Now the trick is to do it everytime than your growing.

I have grown 2 plants under a 1000w and had 2 3/4 lb dry from them, I have not done it every time but it is my reference point when discussing yield, but I have not been able to do it every time, but it's still my reference point.

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

THESE ARE THE RESPONSES I WAS HOPING FOR!!! WOOOT WOOOT!!!

I like the Chemdog lines for that. They're hermie-prone, though! So to me there's always a trade-off, ya dig?
I dig ... I have some Trainwreck on the way .... is that going to be any better?

I have grown 2 plants under a 1000w and had 2 3/4 lb dry from them, I have not done it every time but it is my reference point when discussing yield, but I have not been able to do it every time, but it's still my reference point.
so I get 3 oz of dry off of six bubba kush plants every other week from my SOG set up ..... I am way under, right? I know I need more light (using 2X400w MH will be going to 2X600 HPS soon) that will bring me closer to real weights .... i am hoping to get to half Lb a plant.

Or will i never get that with BK regardless of the lights nutes grow type and EVs?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

THESE ARE THE RESPONSES I WAS HOPING FOR!!! WOOOT WOOOT!!!

I dig ... I have some Trainwreck on the way .... is that going to be any better?

so I get 3 oz of dry off of six bubba kush plants every other week from my SOG set up ..... I am way under, right? I know I need more light (using 2X400w MH will be going to 2X600 HPS soon) that will bring me closer to real weights .... i am hoping to get to half Lb a plant.

Or will i never get that with BK regardless of the lights nutes grow type and EVs?

I know it can be done in RDWC. The genetics play a big role in how much they produce and BK can produce big time, GreenHouse say theirs will do 800g sq meter.In dirt inside maybe, but the breading is there to do it and it would be a short stocky plant to boot.

You're doing OK at 1/2 oz per plant most people would be real happy to be doing that every 2 weeks thats 24 oz every 8 weeks with a 400's.

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

They are greenhouse seeds... The trainwreck too.

Thanks for the reassurance on the numbers. Should I expect more now with the super cropping? I will be doing 24 every 4 week's now super cropped ( Lst and fim) and 600hps. Would either be more effective on the yield? Will it help at all? I was not super cropping before.... That is for my current restarted grow.

It also seems that most growers are growing indicas or hybrids indoors.... Is that because of the bloom time and height (longer and taller) compared to sativas?

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

Just looked up RDWC .... I garden in soil.

Do I need to move to hydro to get the crazy yields? Regardless of strain?

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

The other thing is just about everyone lies about what they yield as we want to look good and great. If you're getting 1 lb from a 1000w your average, if you're getting 1 to 1 1/2 your good, if your getting 2 lb you in the top 20% of growers and if your 2+ you're in the top 8% IMHO.

love to here that.

Love the FB profile pic analogy !!!!! so true!!!

afi

afi

Just looked up RDWC .... I garden in soil.

Do I need to move to hydro to get the crazy yields? Regardless of strain?
No u don`t. You just need to understand your style and perfect it. I average 1 1/2 a 1000 watts in soil and have a few strains that I can hit over 2 with.
My most recent high yielder is Pisces colombian D. Others in my garden that hit that # are : Kandy Kush, Grape God, Northern Lights #1, Alaskan Thunder Fuck, and sour grapes.
Peace, Afi

B

Burned Haze

I made sure attitude would email me when grape god came back in stock lol and still I haven't germinated them but I do have Grapegod x The Flav aka Supernatural
She's looking good :)

BH

afi

afi

I don't know much about Next Generation but there Grape god is some fire for sure.

Peace, Afi

J

justinpenn

A friend of mine who has been in this business for 20+ years say most of what breeders are selling today are the same strains from 20 years ago with different names to keep people buying seeds look at how many names skunk has and super skunk white widow ther is dozens of names for the same strain. I myself would love to find something new and unique. The word Kush is worn out for sure

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

A friend of mine who has been in this business for 20+ years say most of what breeders are selling today are the same strains from 20 years ago with different names to keep people buying seeds look at how many names skunk has and super skunk white widow ther is dozens of names for the same strain. I myself would love to find something new and unique. The word Kush is worn out for sure

That's kinda what I was wondering

homebrew420

homebrew420

Yeah not to sure about that. Simply because someone found a good pheno then usrd it in breeding does not a oldschool variety make. Simply used. There were some truly impressive varieties of yesteryear. Many have been replaced for other trendy flavors, ie OG, Kush and Chem.
Think about the last time you smoked Skunk, if ever, and then ask was it skunky or sweet? Probably sweet. Breeders have in many respects dropped the ball. Seeds are not created to be stable, it seems to be irrelevant to most. This in turn speaks volumes to your question. If the work is not done for some kind of homogenized product the description will be pointless. F1 hybrids are fairly homogeneous in expression which is where most of the breeders are satisfied. Plenty of very odd and unusual flavors and aromas out there. Just not as many are popular.
The search takes time.
Grower skill is as important or more so than variety grown. Close attention to details and not overthinking is going to be your best allie. Understanding of plant nutrition will also give you a much greater ability to diagnose and solve issues before it is a major problem.
Hope this is what you were looking for. And great luck on your grow

Peace

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

Now the trick is to do it everytime than your growing.

okay not everybody lies about yield. if your a chump you'll lie, if you know people arent retarded they'll tell the truth. nobody will think a 1# crop is 2, anyone that knows anything anyways...

i would just also like to add (cause it sounds like hes taking all this in which is good)

if youre only getting 1 lb a 1k you should just switch to 600's it'll end up being the same however youre growing.

2 pounds should be able to be achieved on any strain no matter what. its all about TECHNIQUE.

and 2 pounds should be the LOW. and i MEAN THAT. know a guy who just hit 3.5 a light with Diagonal (sour d x true OG) and WAS BUMMED BECAUSE HE COULD HAVE GOTTEN MORE.

if your in that "top 8%" you're pulling OVER 3# a light, not 2.....

but then again dont expect to be anywhere near that top 8 with the "right strain and equipment" if you dont know what youre doin it aint happenin

just saying for this set of information, you can yield as much as you want to, just gotta know how to plan and what to do.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

okay not everybody lies about yield. if your a chump you'll lie, if you know people arent retarded they'll tell the truth. nobody will think a 1# crop is 2, anyone that knows anything anyways...

i would just also like to add (cause it sounds like hes taking all this in which is good)

if youre only getting 1 lb a 1k you should just switch to 600's it'll end up being the same however youre growing.

2 pounds should be able to be achieved on any strain no matter what. its all about TECHNIQUE.

and 2 pounds should be the LOW. and i MEAN THAT. know a guy who just hit 3.5 a light with Diagonal (sour d x true OG) and WAS BUMMED BECAUSE HE COULD HAVE GOTTEN MORE.

if your in that "top 8%" you're pulling OVER 3# a light, not 2.....

but then again dont expect to be anywhere near that top 8 with the "right strain and equipment" if you dont know what youre doin it aint happenin

just saying for this set of information, you can yield as much as you want to, just gotta know how to plan and what to do.

Everyone bullshits who grows, mine's bigger than yours.

Yes there are a few honest people left, I'm still looking for them.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

I often the find the quoted yields low. The flowering times long.

If everything is in place, light air water food temp, you should hit anything you grow outta the park.

The plant chopping drives me nuts, and it seems to be the first thing every new grower wants to do, mutilate the plant. If you did the exact same thing your doing now, minus the pruning, you would get better yields. If your plants get too tall, put them into flower earlier. If you want to train them along a grid, what function does it serve? I feel like most new growers want to try "advanced techniques", because they think it has something to do with yields.

The fact of the matter is unless you intend to copy the other aspects of the grow, then your simply fiddling around with something that you have no clear idea the function of. As far as yield, the strain is of no significance if you dont have your "sea-legs" so to speak. Your better off to read up on and copy to a T, your favorite grow journal.

I am not saying the strain doesnt matter, simply that your skill as a grower is the defining factor above all else.

J

justinpenn

I agree with the skunk comment I myself like the road kill skunk which is very hard to fine today shanti told me recently that he has been working on the road kill skunk and will be available soon so im looking forward to that. A few people I no still have the old school skunk but wont part with it!!!!

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

homebrew420 said:
Grower skill is as important or more so than variety grown. Close attention to details and not overthinking is going to be your best allie. Understanding of plant nutrition will also give you a much greater ability to diagnose and solve issues before it is a major problem.....

After reading all this, it sounds like growing is a combo of a few variables...

You can alike it to playing music at home.

The seeds are the music medium, and the gardener would be the system the music is being played on....

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

Ie. you may have great music on a great format..... but if you play it on a crappy stereo .... it still sounds crappy, even though its the best the stereo could sound.
Or
... if you have a killer stereo, but music on an an old bad crappy medium.... it will sound only as good as the recording.
Or
if you have a well recorded recording on a high fidelity medium .... going through a killer sound system .... you would have the best sound possible.

I like analogies ....

Latest posts

Top Bottom