Dirbags Rockin' Rockwool Revival Thread

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have been super excited to start this grow diary!
After my last round I was unimpressed with the performance using promix and organic ferts..and so decided to go back to rockwool for another crack at it.

This time I decided to use unislabs instead of HUGO'S. And I feel that decision was an important one, ill come back to that.

I'll be updating this thread pretty frequently, but to kick it off, here is where I started.

16 x 1 week old clones in 3" delta blocks placed onto unislabs. 8 x Spiked Punch, and 8 x Wedding Crasher.
20210303_103427.jpg
20210305_204456.jpg
20210305_204503.jpg

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So why Unislabs? Several reasons. They drain better than hugos, and plants develop a strong healthy root system in the delta block first, which In my mind is key.
What this allows is almost immediately giving them daily feeds. I can daily feed straight from transplant into the delta, and I can daily feed the same day I put them on the unislabs. Because the delta block is elevated above the slab yet in contact with it, it loses its saturated zone, meaning the waterings will never drown the roots. Instead the roots can explore the saturated slab as they see fit. And boy do they ever..

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So why Unislabs? Several reasons. They drain better than hugos, and plants develop a strong healthy root system in the delta block first, which I'm my mind is key.
What this allows is almost immediately giving them daily feeds. I can daily feed straight from transplant into the delta, and I can daily feed the same day I put them on the unislabs. Because the delta block is elevated above the slab yet in contact with it, it loses its saturated zone, meaning the waterings will never drown the roots. Instead the roots can explore the saturated slab as they see fit. And boy do they ever..
This is a topic that is soooo important and rarely talked about.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The following week they were pretty much ready to flip. They are about 3 weeks old here, 1 week in deltas and 2 weeks on slab. By now, I'm impressed with the growth rate, health and overall sense of vigor..
20210323 194243

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
And this is the point I deviated hard in a direction I've never gone. I have always lollipopped and removed lower budsites and selectively defoliated. But this grow I decided to throw caution to the wind and get in there and rip as many leaves off as I could bring myself to take off. Made me quite nervous.
This was flip day..
20210324 105629

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
14 days into flower, I had to strip again, as the humidity was becoming uncontrollable.

This time I stripped them a bit harder..
20210408 213029

20210409 010243

Now this is where my ass cheeks were clinched tight. I expected to shock them. And I wouldn't be surprised if I stunted them.

Anthem

Anthem

I have been super excited to start this grow diary!
After my last round I was unimpressed with the performance using promix and organic ferts..and so decided to go back to rockwool for another crack at it.

This time I decided to use unislabs instead of HUGO'S. And I feel that decision was an important one, ill come back to that.

I'll be updating this thread pretty frequently, but to kick it off, here is where I started.

16 x 1 week old clones in 3" delta blocks placed onto unislabs. 8 x Spiked Punch, and 8 x Wedding Crasher.
View attachment 1116115View attachment 1116116View attachment 1116117
Did you get the uni slab idea from your spiked punch connection?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
They are just a little taller than me here on the outside edge of the garden... including the foot tall riser and slab of course. Felt like working in a jungle rainforest surrounded by lush vegetation lol.
Thankful for my high ceilings.
20210408 231515

Purple petiole leaves went bye bye.. leaves at the very top of the branches were left intact, Rasta Jeff style
20210408 232145
20210408 235204

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom