Dirtbags Do-over... 🤪 Back to Organic!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Always fostered the 'crazy gypsy who doesn't care if he dies' look, myself... haven't seen my bare chin since I was 16...

Hahaha i was too until i joined a fire dept and was forced to shave and stay clean cut.
Couple years before that though I had dreadlocks halfway down my back and a beard.
Since I left the dept i brought the beard back, but think ill keep the hair short. lol.

dire wolf

dire wolf

I was in a major city 3 years ago and I bought a Starbucks coffee , I was just standing outside and some dude in a suit dropped a handful of change in my cup just as I paused from sipping it ,
My wife walked up to me and said you look scary ......
She made me shave and loose the camo jacket

beluga

beluga

Hahaha i was too until i joined a fire dept and was forced to shave and stay clean cut.
Couple years before that though I had dreadlocks halfway down my back and a beard.
Since I left the dept i brought the beard back, but think ill keep the hair short. lol.
Better to breathe than look like a badass... I think🤔.

I thought about smokejumping for a while to feed the adrenaline junkie in me and get paid for it. And save people, of course.
Then I realized they hardly make a living wage and I make more than that making stickers and fucking off on the internet... save the thrills for weekends and PTO...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Better to breathe than look like a badass... I think🤔.

I thought about smokejumping for a while to feed the adrenaline junkie in me and get paid for it. And save people, of course.
Then I realized they hardly make a living wage and I make more than that making stickers and fucking off on the internet... save the thrills for weekends and PTO...

If you join a unionized dept the pay is pretty good. Buddy of mine took a position for Vancouver fire and makes about $95k a year, 5 weeks vacay, full benefits and can take early retirement after 10 years.
I was a paid Lieutenant for a POC dept and it was pretty much a part time job. I still had to work a second job to make ends meet. Pretty lame honestly for how much it fucks you up mentally eventually.

amekins

amekins

If you join a unionized dept the pay is pretty good. Buddy of mine took a position for Vancouver fire and makes about $95k a year, 5 weeks vacay, full benefits and can take early retirement after 10 years.
I was a paid Lieutenant for a POC dept and it was pretty much a part time job. I still had to work a second job to make ends meet. Pretty lame honestly for how much it fucks you up mentally eventually.
There are certain first responder roles that don’t get paid nearly commensurate with the work required or toll taken.

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Does anyone have experience with both earth juice’s line and the pure blend pro and a preference between the two? About halfway through flower on my first indoor right now and I’m trying to decide between the two. Ran FFOF, dry amendments and then minimal nutes via watering but I’ve had some deficiencies and they’re a lot harder to correct this way. Having control over the majority of what the plant eats via direct feeding sounds a lot better.

Reading through this thread and @Aqua Man ‘s has me thinking of mixing my spent soil with coco, compost and just a little amending, then running one of those two setups. Sounds like PBPG is insanely easy and I could probably even boost that with some EJ xatalyst at the right times during flower. But it also sounds like earth juice is a more complete setup, and might produce tastier buds for my extra work (and cash).

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Ive used pbp and it is extremly easy to use. Its a great nutrient. But its very different from EJ. Pbp is far more refined and processed. Its chelated and ready for uptake, whereas most of EJ is not.

That’s what messes with me. I know it’s organic-based but it definitely is not organic, whereas the EJ sounds more like a more controlled form of the organic soil-feeding style I’ve grown with so far. But pricier and more hassle to aerate it. I just wonder if there’s a big difference in the end result. Maybe I should do even MORE work and run a side by side comparison

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That’s what messes with me. I know it’s organic-based but it definitely is not organic, whereas the EJ sounds more like a more controlled form of the organic soil-feeding style I’ve grown with so far. But pricier and more hassle to aerate it. I just wonder if there’s a big difference in the end result. Maybe I should do even MORE work and run a side by side comparison

so far my soiless salt based fertilizer grow has been the best tasting and smelling weed so far. The soil and pure blend pro grows seem to have an overlying sour smell and taste strain to strain while the “chemical” grow has much more difference between strains and plants.

I have heard growers say they can smell the pure blend pro in weed and i dismissed it as fantasy. But now i think i can detect it. Soil vs hydro too. Hydro is “cleaner” somehow.

At least i think so. All this is so subjective.

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

so far my soiless salt based fertilizer grow has been the best tasting and smelling weed so far. The soil and pure blend pro grows seem to have an overlying sour smell and taste strain to strain while the “chemical” grow has much more difference between strains and plants.

I have heard growers say they can smell the pure blend pro in weed and i dismissed it as fantasy. But now i think i can detect it. Soil vs hydro too. Hydro is “cleaner” somehow.

Trying my best to sort through enough subjective opinions that I can start to have an idea what I’d prefer. The simplicity of PBP is really alluring, no doubt. I’m tempted to try it and compare what I get from it to this upcoming harvest and see if I can identify any overarching differences. But then there’s the hippie in me that wants to run fuuulllyyy orgaaaanic man

Edit: especially since my organic living soil is already established. No-tilling it and then feeding the soil next round with the earth juice, or simply sticking to my top dresses again and relying on the microbiology, would be the Puritan way

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

I hate to keep bringing Breeder Steve back into this but i truely do respect his insights... He agreed that plants fed bottled nutrients in soil or even soiless arent nearly as clean tasting as hydroponic. But that true organic or aquaponic produced in his mind, the best tasting product overall.

Im still not sure where EJ falls into this but im gonna find out! From all anecdotal reports, those that use it successfully also claim the same, that it produces a far superior product in terms of flavour.

I dont know enough to say either way, I just like trying all the different ways to see for myself what will make the best product for me. Like you said i think a lot of it is subjective.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I hate to keep bringing Breeder Steve back into this but i truely do respect his insights... He agreed that plants fed bottled nutrients in soil or even soiless arent nearly as clean tasting as hydroponic. But that true organic or aquaponic produced in his mind, the best tasting product overall.

Im still not sure where EJ falls into this but im gonna find out! From all anecdotal reports, those that use it successfully also claim the same, that it produces a far superior product in terms of flavour.

I dont know enough to say either way, I just like trying all the different ways to see for myself what will make the best product for me. Like you said i think a lot of it is subjective.

i think feeding only what the plant will use would end ip the cleanest best tasting and most potent flowers. But it is near impossible goal.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
i think feeding only what the plant will use would end ip the cleanest best tasting and most potent flowers. But it is near impossible goal.
Thats what aquaponic or true organic does though. It doesnt force anything into the plant, the plant uptakes only what it needs Or at least thats how i understand it. But ive tried wrapping my head around so much new-to-me shit lately, i think i need to smoke a joint 🤣

beluga

beluga

Trying my best to sort through enough subjective opinions that I can start to have an idea what I’d prefer. The simplicity of PBP is really alluring, no doubt. I’m tempted to try it and compare what I get from it to this upcoming harvest and see if I can identify any overarching differences. But then there’s the hippie in me that wants to run fuuulllyyy orgaaaanic man

Edit: especially since my organic living soil is already established. No-tilling it and then feeding the soil next round with the earth juice, or simply sticking to my top dresses again and relying on the microbiology, would be the Puritan way
I'm all about that, too. And, quite frankly, I'm still not sure what to believe or how to feel. These guys might have a bit more insight.
But I've used salts for a while... almost no need for pesticides, no need for growth enhancement.
I scratched the surface of looking into flushing over here
and what I seem to find is that, so long as you're not using shit that systemically integrates itself into the plants, you're basically getting all the same building blocks that you would from organic.
Again, might be off my gourd here. But it did kind of satisfy the hippy in me.

edit: oh, and, furthermore, that flushing will leech those salt buildups out.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

See @Dirtbag think the medium and nutes impart their flavor. People liked what guano did to the flavor so it became popular. This is why its so subjective.

hawaiin weed from hawaii i have tried tasted the best to me at the time. Is it the volcanic soil?

Im going to have to do an autopot or single hempy bucket to compare at some point.

I always though outdoor garden bed or in ground weed tasted best. Until we did a blind test and my indoor weed won over great outdoor weed.

That turned me right around.

but i got rid of the organics cause of pests. I dont want organics in my house anymore. Has nothing to do with flavor.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thats what aquaponic or true organic does though. It doesnt force anything into the plant, the plant uptakes only what it needs Or at least thats how i understand it. But ive tried wrapping my head around so much new-to-me shit lately, i think i need to smoke a joint 🤣

Not true. Marijuana is an accumulator plant. Thats why pure hydro would be most representative of the strain.

The plants at chernoble dont filter out the radiation.

Its bro science that only broken down elements uptake. Anything that dissolves and can fit through the root membrane can get in.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah the pest issue is a concern, i must admit. And honestly the fact that this grow was intended to be a one off for personal before shutting it down is the real reason im rolling the dice in that regard.

Who knows.. But i sure wish i still had my platinum cookies cut for comparison sake.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah the pest issue is a concern, i must admit. And honestly the fact that this grow was intended to be a one off for personal before shutting it down is the real reason im rolling the dice in that regard.

Who knows.. But i sure wish i still had my platinum cookies cut for comparison sake.

I think its an excellent variation to try. And if it works better for you you will know. But i still maintain what works for the grower is what grows the best weed.

I think in order of importance;

Envirenment-grower-genetics

assuming any decent genetics. I have not had any real bad seeds except for personal grower pollen chucked ones.

reason i put genetics last is 2 growers can have completely different results with the same cut.

beluga

beluga

My big thing for organic is produce for eating.. like with your tongue and teeth and all... I don't know how to separate this from weed...
But, taste-wise, I know for damn sure all the tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, whatever... that I've had were so much better on their own and in recipes... organic vs conventional.
Obviously, I don't like to eat crazy shit that requires a hazmat suit to farm either.
There's some wicked pesticides allowed in USDA organic. And fertilizers. But.. going with my "your purchase is your opinion" thing, I think the common practices can become a whole hell of a lot better incrementally.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My big thing for organic is produce for eating.. like with your tongue and teeth and all... I don't know how to separate this from weed...
But, taste-wise, I know for damn sure all the tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, whatever... that I've had were so much better on their own and in recipes... organic vs conventional.
Obviously, I don't like to eat crazy shit that requires a hazmat suit to farm either.
There's some wicked pesticides allowed in USDA organic. And fertilizers. But.. going with my "your purchase is your opinion" thing, I think the common practices can become a whole hell of a lot better incrementally.

i grew some delicious tomatoes with light doses of miracle grow fertilizer. I think the difference may be slighter than we always thought. Seems environment is more important.

Latest posts

Top Bottom