Dirtbags Hydroponics Thread.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Discovered something fairly interesting last night.

So I treated my main holding tank with 3ml/g H2O2, something I dont usually do... I usually just treat the water in the res.

When I filled my res from the holding tank I immediately noticed intense frothing in the res. the HT was completely still, but the res was almost boiling it was so fizzy. It honestly kinda freaked me out, I had to think back to try and remember how much peroxide I had added thinking maybe I overdosed it? I had no idea what was going on.

Like I do, I obsessed about what happened last night and took to the internet to find answers. Turns out my UV sterilizer acts as a catalyst for the oxidation reaction of H2O2 and causes it to instantly react to any organic or inorganic compound it contacts. Sterilizing my resivoir much more effectively.

Interestingly the plants were fed this nutrient solution 5 hrs later and they perked up noticeably, I havent seen them look so awake ever. I'm thinking there was a massive shot of dissolved 02 in there and they loved it? Not sure, but this morning they seem just as happy. Like really perky.

Thought it was pretty cool, and man was I relieved to find out I didnt somehow fuck things up lol.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yup
Violator, Bubba, cookies.. everything looks much happier this round. Buds are going to be bigger this cycle I think.. I hope..lol And the new Mother clones are killin it in the tiny pots of croutons.
20191226 115421
20191226 115437
20191226 115300

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Discovered something fairly interesting last night.

So I treated my main holding tank with 3ml/g H2O2, something I dont usually do... I usually just treat the water in the res.

When I filled my res from the holding tank I immediately noticed intense frothing in the res. the HT was completely still, but the res was almost boiling it was so fizzy. It honestly kinda freaked me out, I had to think back to try and remember how much peroxide I had added thinking maybe I overdosed it? I had no idea what was going on.

Like I do, I obsessed about what happened last night and took to the internet to find answers. Turns out my UV sterilizer acts as a catalyst for the oxidation reaction of H2O2 and causes it to instantly react to any organic or inorganic compound it contacts. Sterilizing my resivoir much more effectively.

Interestingly the plants were fed this nutrient solution 5 hrs later and they perked up noticeably, I havent seen them look so awake ever. I'm thinking there was a massive shot of dissolved 02 in there and they loved it? Not sure, but this morning they seem just as happy. Like really perky.

Thought it was pretty cool, and man was I relieved to find out I didnt somehow fuck things up lol.
Remember how ya said you don't aerate your res?

Also something to consider is if the reaction was with bacteria. You can't see it usually unless it's glass but most containers get a clear super thin film of bacteria that are actually beneficial. The only thing is they do also consume o2 just food for thought

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Remember how ya said you don't aerate your res?

Also something to consider is if the reaction was with bacteria. You can't see it usually unless it's glass but most containers get a clear super thin film of bacteria that are actually beneficial. The only thing is they do also consume o2 just food for thought

Lol, I'm not going to aerate my res. It's probably because I've flip flopped between using H2O2 and Voodoo juice a couple times and I've likely got a bacteria bloom is all. And it was more the UV light that caused the reaction then anything in the water. I usually dont get any fizzing when I add H2O2.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Lol, I'm not going to aerate my res. It's probably because I've flip flopped between using H2O2 and Voodoo juice a couple times and I've likely got a bacteria bloom is all. And it was more the UV light that caused the reaction then anything in the water. I usually dont get any fizzing when I add H2O2.
Just food for thought. Seen that a lot in aquariums with a water change

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Had another interesting learning moment I thought I'd share.
The ec was rising a lot between feedings this last week on the violator kush, spiking at 2.3 coming out, going in at 1.5. I tried reducing the feed as low as 1.2 but was still getting spikes up near 2 between feeds. All the other strains were rising in ec also but not as much.

So I had a talk with a friend of mine with a large hydro grow who is familiar with this cut of VK and he suggested adjusting the NPK a little bit and gave me some numbers to work with. Essentially some plants including this one are just fussy with regard to certain nutrients, which may seem obvious but bear with me..

I got home and used the angelfire nutrient calculator to come as close as I could to the recommendation for where I'm at in flower using the nutrients I have on hand. PBP hydro bloom 2-3-5 just didnt have enough nitrogen for this stage of growth, and PBP grow was giving me too much N to hit the potassium numbers I wanted. But massive and pbp grow together hit them pretty close.

3.5ml/g calmag+ 2-0-0
10ml botaniare pbp grow 3-2-4
10ml Green planet massive 1-2-3
That combo gives me roughly;
140 N
50 P
165 K
60 Ca
30 Mg

I've been feeding that ratio for the past 3 days and the ec is now holding steady in the VK between feedings and the rest of the plants the ec is dropping just slightly.
Super interesting to get immediate feedback from the plants in this system and have measurable variables to manipulate. And I have to say the plants look happier. Buds are filling in beautifully.

I will however be transitioning back to pbp grow only in week 6 or so and tapering down the feed for the last couple weeks with that. But I gotta keep my eye on that lechate ec and ph...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Pre-98 is lookin' really classy this go around. But I keep sleeping in too late to catch a snapshot of her sleeping lol.

Overall health and bud development looks to be on track for a nice crop of the bubba. It looks better than it has in quite a few rounds. And the VK looks like a different plant all together lol

Pre-98 Bubba Kush, basking in the neon orange glow.
20191228 135914

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Pre-98 is lookin' really classy this go around. But I keep sleeping in too late to catch a snapshot of her sleeping lol.

Overall health and bud development looks to be on track for a nice crop of the bubba. It looks better than it has in quite a few rounds. And the VK looks like a different plant all together lol

Pre-98 Bubba Kush, basking in the neon orange glow.View attachment 925013

Yes she is a very sophisticated and well bred girl. ;-)

It really is who you know.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yes she is a very sophisticated and well bred girl. ;-)

It really is who you know.

Shes a keeper that's for sure. I'm really lucky as I very nearly lost it recently. I only managed to get one viable cutting out of 4 to become a mom. Everything else rooted fine but bubba gave me grief. old rapid rooters maybe... I guess I could have monster cropped a clone from flower but that's a PITA.

And yeah knowing some folks doesnt hurt. Also helps that many of them have switched to rockwool in the past year, so I get to learn from their mistakes haha.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Finally had an opportunity to see them in the dark lol.

Here is the classy Bubba K
20191230 115343

And the room. Looks a bit raggedy in pics for some reason but the buds are filling in faster and larger than I'm used to... for whatever that's worth. These plants have experienced under/overfeeding and numerous small learning curve related issues. And they're still producing. So that's awesome.
20191230 114934

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

badasscap... is makin me look bad. he/she missed zero greetings. i guess I'm stalkin/trollin- bass, so...

yes, dirtmammouth... happy ny! so much potential in the earth... i hope it's not missed in ur "tag". pleasure to b around, a bag so many gardens n gardeners rely on... and your bag is not half empty...
happy new year, TBAG!!! hope u had awesome holidays and a fantastic century, ahead of you.
♡sparetire.

Top Bottom