DIY Nutrient Doser

• Thread starter RMCG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RMCG

Here is my attempt at documenting a 2 part nutrient + pH control dosing unit that I've built.

This is part 1, wiring the controllers and pumps.

Parts 2 and 3 are forthcoming.

Please keep the 'too expensive', 'overkill', 'pointless', 'dumb', etc. comments to yourselves. My fragile ego cannot handle that sort of criticism coming from anonymous strangers on the internet... :)

I am not an electrician, so if you see something that will kill someone (or me), please comment on it and I will revise.

I am not a perfectionist, so I 'eyeball' a lot of things, some of this may seem like a kludge and a hack, I will proudly wear that label. :evilgrin0040:

I threw this together the other night in about 6 hours, but that included taking hundreds of pictures and several pages of notes. It can be done in ~3-4 hours as long as you have your parts/tools on hand.

If you have questions, post them up, I'll try to answer them.

If you build custom unit, post up pix with your additions and enhancements.

I will probably build another one with some additional changes in the future.

EDIT: Split the pdf into 3 parts and have attached them here.

View attachment DIY_Nutrient_Doser_PT1A_v1.1.pdf

View attachment DIY_Nutrient_Doser_PT1B_v1.1.pdf

View attachment DIY_Nutrient_Doser_PT1C_v1.1.pdf

http://www.easy-share.com/1914377169/DIY_Nutrient_Doser_PT1_v1.1.pdf

D

DoobyScoo

Cool post.
Always love DIY automation. The commercial version of what you just did ain't cheap.
:harvest:

R

RMCG

Cool post.
Always love DIY automation. The commercial version of what you just did ain't cheap.
:harvest:

Thanks.

Yeah, I debated going down the 'off the shelf' route, but I did it for less than half and that works for me...

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

i would love to see this but the host you picked has a horrible waiting time before you can download for free. i accidentally reloaded the page and now i have to wait 19 minutes before i can download it!!!!

i'll come back when i can see it. i may re post the file to a better host if you dont mind that does not require free accounts or non account holders to wait so long to download files.

R

RMCG

Oh damn. It was only like 30 seconds wait for me. Let me split the doc in 2 parts and attach it directly.

B

bentripin

very cool.. I made my own doser too.. its gravity operated and dont use pumps. I paired it with a Milwaukee SMS-122 pH Controller and I havent had to mess with my pH in months.

I like those pumps you found tho, I'll have to keep those in mind for a future automation project.

[YOUTUBE]Z5TnKD0A5S4[/YOUTUBE]

R

RMCG

I use the Milwaukee SMS-122 for my 'bucket pH dosers'. I use a 5g bucket w/lid, a small 'reptile' pump and the controller. I dilute my pH down in ~5g of water and let it go.

Nutes (esp 2 part) needed a different solution.

B

bentripin

im dosing with concentrate, yeah im going to build another doser for 2 part nutrient addbacks.. I can adjust the float in the syringe to any level I want and hook up individual tanks with another valve..

I am going to build a very simple arduino powered controller for nutrient addback.. simply add float valves to my nutrient tank.. when say 10g of nutes been eaten it'll top it off with fresh RO water and then dose back appropriate amounts of nutes for that amount of addback.. should be able to expand it to handle as many fluids as I want.

R

RMCG

Measured dose of nutes in addbacks definitely would not work for me. I needed to shoot for target ppms.

Arduino stuff is cool.

R

RMCG

Doser Stock Tanks

For the stock tanks, I used Nalgene Bottles.

They are found just about everywhere, clean, hard acrylic, graduated and hold the right amount for me (1L).

I picked up manufactured pegboard (Target and HD both sell it), some pegboard mounts and a 'wire rack' from the same section. Could have just bolted it on to the pegboard with bolts, nuts and washers too.

Pretty self explanatory I think...

The airline is 1/4" OD from HD. 20' is like 3$.

Drill a hole in the Nalgene bottle lids to snugly fit the airline:

IMG 20110330 135117

Push the airline all the way to the bottom of the bottle and leave a little bit of slack.

IMG 20110330 135058

For the 'exit' side of the solutions, you need to make sure that the A and B airlines are the exact same length so as to make sure you dose properly. pH hose length doesn't matter as its only one part.

I will probably snip the bottle lid connector so I can leave the hose/lid attached to pumps when I need to refill.

R

RMCG

Calibration!

CALIBRATION of TDS Meter:

To calibrate the meter, proceed as follows:
• ensure the meter is in measurement mode;
• immerse the probe in HI 7031 calibration solution (1413μS/cm);
• shake briefly and wait for reading to stabilize;
• adjust the “CAL” trimmer to read “919 ppm” on the LCD.

CALIBRATION of pH Meter:

With meter in measurement mode, immerse electrode and
Matching Pin (if available) in pH 7.01 buffer solution, shake
briefly and wait for reading to stabilize. Adjust the CAL
trimmer until “7.0 pH” is displayed on the LCD.

R

RMCG

Amendment 1 (of many I'm sure...)

In the docs there is a spot on the pH controller and 'jumping' it to allow for pH UP control. Seems there is already a jumper(very small wire) in place, so by default it will do pH up. REMOVE the jumper/wire to do pH down.

Also, make sure the hose/airline you use is TIGHT on the barbs of the pump. I had a small airleak and that allowed bubbles to form in the hoses. A dab of silicon/aquarium sealant on there sealed it all up and removed any bubble formation in the hoses.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
what kind of time delay can you set for the PH doser. Like every 5 min or so? Also is there a threshold for the dosing? Sorry not to familiar with these. Always say the word doser and a grand or more price tag to follow.

Man respect for the documentation and the hard work sharing with us folks. Kick ass job. Hows it turning out so far?

R

RMCG

The controller kicks the pump on and off. I mixed in 100ml of pH Down (Mad Farmer) to 900ml of water. It is dosed very slowly, so it spurts a little, then controller stops it when it hit its set point. It reacts fast and the liquid in the hose is 'held' there, even on a 6' length of hose.

The controllers have a 'run time' trimmer/pot on them so it will go in to fault mode (requires turning off, then back to auto) so it doesn't pump 1L of nutes into your res or on to the floor.

Just got it hooked up yesterday. I was going to wait for that crop to be done, but I am dedicating it to 'experiments'.

I watched it for several hours while I was doing other things and it was holding it within 20ppms of my setting on the TDS controller.

IMAG0435

IMAG0436

It is definitely not a 'cheap' solution, but comparatively speaking, its not horrible either. I was able to move a 200$ Hanna meter to another res, so it 'dropped' the cost down right there.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Vary nice set up

I own some AM Hydro mini pH controllers.

Only reason why i be using those Kind of pump for dosing. Is for like 35G Stock Tanks. I like using Gravity 5G bucket & Solenoid Valves. Using a smaller tube that reduce the size to 1/4OD.

Make sure you water down so you do not shock the res to hard.
Good Easy fix is a Float Valve installed During a feed cycle.

Go big with your Design. Your going pro here.

R

RMCG

For 2 part nutes, you need it dosed in a controlled way, XX ml/min from each part, which is why I went with those pumps. pH doesn't need to be dosed like that, but I can change it out for a third part nute/additive fairly quickly by rewiring it.

In other rooms I use a pH 'doser' that uses a milwaukee meter, a reptile pump and a 5 g bucket of watered down pH Down. That one doesn't need to be in exact measurements, just hit the target slowly so as not to 'overshoot'. Seems to work out well. I would do the same if I were using a one part nute vs the peristaltic pumps.

I can change out the Nalgene bottles for a drilled lid on my 20L nute bottles. Direct from the tap so to speak.

E

Emithsuk

Hows this working out for you? Am in the market to make my life a little easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom