DIY - Over, Under, Sideways, Down...Sky High builds an Under Current knockoff

• Thread starter sky high
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tconch

tconch

ttystikk i have 5 gal buckets, went with those bulkhead fittings they were tight no leaks but even with 1" hose i had a few root clogs in the hose as far down as 2'and around a 90 degree corner also started with an nutes switche to jacks things are workung great now

DapperDon

DapperDon

Yo folks.

Is this the start of root rot? I've seen the full blown stuff but never caught it as it started. This isn't looking good to me but I don't wanna freak out...just yet.

If it is, do you think I can yank tyhese out and slap em in soilless/etc and save em? the plants look OK up top....so far.

s h
What did your root mass on your first run look like? From these photos it appears as though the disk diffusers are shearing your roots apart. With the help of Captain Hindsight would you have used those disks again or would you have used another method for the grow buckets? My questions are because I am interested in using the 9" disks as you did and wanted to ask someone with experience with them.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

don't do it. I did the same thing in my DIY 4 site using 5 gallon buckets, and the root mass looked almost like a halo, a ring basically from the turbulent water in the plant bucket from the 9" diffusers..

DapperDon

DapperDon

So you would recommend using a smaller stone/diffuser then? I appreciate you sharing your experience as any help is a good thing. What size air pump were you using? I am building a 4 site system myself using 13 gallon containers.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

I went totally overboard and bought an ap100. I've now switched to a single 6" air stone in each bucket, but next time I think I'm going to use 2 per site.

DapperDon

DapperDon

I was thinking the 6" air stone or the rubber diffuser ring. I have the AP-100 myself, are you still using it? If so how would you rate it?

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

The AP-100 is still running, without fail. Runs a bit hot because I'm using the manifold that came with it that has like 18 ports on it or so, and I used tubing to plug most of the ports, except the 4 stones(8 when i connect it to my vortex brewer)

DapperDon

DapperDon

I think I am going to go with the Alita 9" sintered stone. I was also thinking of putting valves on each line as well.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

thats a good idea, that way you can dial in each stone, totally going to see if i can figure something out like that for myself

DapperDon

DapperDon

I feel that since I am only running a 4 site system I want those 4 sites to have every advantage I can give it.

stonestacker

stonestacker

Hey Ski High Just wanted to say thanks for the honest grow log. You probably saved me big cash. I seem to only learn from my fuckups. It took me many years to be ok with admitting I fucked up. But once I did the learning curve came that much quicker.

Hope to see more of your work. best of luck in all your endeavors.

Stonestacker.

Top Bottom