DIY - Over, Under, Sideways, Down...Sky High builds an Under Current knockoff

• Thread starter sky high
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Loudblunts

UC recommends to reduce water levels as plants get bigger for more oxygen transfer or whatever their reasoning was

L

Loudblunts

IMO...keep um running the solution level bout an inch below the net pot....two weeks or so before harvest reduce to bout half total volume of modules...this should help hasten harvest and kick your oil production into overdrive...

Your plants are looking bomb, stand back cause shitz fixin to explode ;)

wait...see? nevermind... UCMENOW beat me to it!

ha!!! see i knew i heard/read that some where

sky high

sky high

Thanks for the confirmation, guys!

We cruised into typical "Summer" temps the last 2 days/nights. I was hangin about 80-85F last night a few hours after the lights came on. Warmer than it has been....but still acceptable, IMO. Water temps still holding at less than 70....lights >off< the heater is still kickin on to keep it @ 68. That reflectix kicks ass. If UC isn't die stampin/cutting jackets as an option they should. In this climate it will make the difference of not having to buy a chiller, IMO.

Yeah, UC...I'm freakin'. Damn things are overgrowin the room.... it's insane. I may have to finish with top lighting cus there's not gonna be any room left to hang lights beside 'em if they keep expanding! They are each about 3 ft tall x 4 ft wide ...give er take a bit.

TK seemed to just let his go....minimal trimming. These are THICK bitches. Kinda wondering how to proceed or if I should just stand back and let em do their thing....

either way I'm lookin for a good chainsaw.... nyuk...nyuk...

s h

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Stand back and watch is the path of least resistance....you're an entertaining writer, thanks again for sharing your grow with us all.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Keep up the great work sky high... I'm soaking in all this info for my first UC run in the Future.... Albeit won't be verticle bare bulbs. I'm looking forward to more tree shots. Hopefully you won't out grow those buckets before harvest...

How's your nutrient regiment goin' and how often does the epicenter need to be topped-off at this stage? :wondering

I realize you went with two air pumps instead of one... Any suggestions on an air pump and airstones for a 6 site of 8 gal buckets? I've heard that Alita air pumps were good... I'm also looking at their air diffusers and would love to hear any suggestions on those. :cool

sky high

sky high

Thanks for your advice/help along the way, UC. Much appreciated.

Yo shady. Still just ploddin' along. I've been using the CNS17 product so far, but last res change I switched to Maxibloom for the higher levels of calcium, mg/etc. Yesterday I bought a jar of "Bud X", which is a knock off of AN big Bud, and some Roots HPK liquid guano. The Roots product did me well last round with far less circulation so I'm gonna give it a try in the UC and see what happens.

up until a week ago I was topping off the system daily and they were drinking up about 5 gals per day en total. After a week or so in bloom this use rose to about 10 gals.... and thus, I added a 20 gal res to the mix to ensure the levels would stay fairly constant. I may have to up the size of my res in the future or hook up a live feed. We shall see.

2 pumps was overkill. I'll probably snag one of the two for another 6 bucket system I plan to build soon. As it is now I have both pumps dialed down with inline valves to reduce the airflow. Damn things ROCK. LOL.

Dunno about Alitas. Prolly good shit. The PondMasters are working good here... no complaints. I went with the 9" round ruber pond diffusers rather than ceramic/sintered stones. Seem to work well. We'll see how they last over time.They definitely put out massive amounts of bubbles when pushed hard.

good luck with the build.

s h

big twinn

big twinn

great thread...it gave me great ideas for my own plan. very interested to see how you yield!

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
...up until a week ago I was topping off the system daily and they were drinking up about 5 gals per day en total. After a week or so in bloom this use rose to about 10 gals.... and thus, I added a 20 gal res to the mix to ensure the levels would stay fairly constant. I may have to up the size of my res in the future or hook up a live feed. We shall see.

2 pumps was overkill. I'll probably snag one of the two for another 6 bucket system I plan to build soon. As it is now I have both pumps dialed down with inline valves to reduce the airflow. Damn things ROCK. LOL.
Thx for the response buddy! Wow... From 5 to 10 gal a day!!! Huh... The epicenter only holds 8 gal full (I imagine it can't be filled to the top though) so I can see the need for the additional 20 gal res. Do you mind snapping some Picts of how it's hooked up? :wondering. That's also good to know that your air pumps and nutes are kicking ass and taking names later...

Z

zappafan99

Great grow and thread buddy. We need to see some more recent pics of the ladies. It would seem the 13 gallon might have been too much for your room(vertical height). I guess if you vegged for a shorter period it might counterbalance that. What do you think? If you were starting again would you change anything other than the res. tank size?

wondering what the size of your room is as you went 3 plants wide it looks like

sky high

sky high

Update time....

If you scroll back to the first pages you'll see the system is only 2 rows, 1776. There were some additional soil-grown plants in ther space at the onset so it may have appeared to look like there are 3 rows in some of the pics....but for clarification's sake, there are 2 rows/6 buckets

zappafan... ah...if I had more mayonaisse and kaopectate I may not need more res space.... LOL. Ah.... Magdelena.... but I digress.....

I had to add a "res" because I left this thing unattended for 6 days last week. Kinda scary to just walk away....but hey....seeing my son was more important so I fillled everything up, said a prayer to JAH, and walked away. Fortunately....things went well.... better than when I am here, it seems! LOL.

In the "What I'd Do Different" dept.....

No height restrictions here..... my room is 9.5 ft tall. No changes needed there.

However, I will probably not veg as long as I did on this grow (30 days) next time...unless, that is...i drop 2 buckets and make this a 4-banger. If I did that I'd veg em this large or larger....then I'd trim em up and watch the show.

Spacing- 40" centers isn't really enough.....especially if you'd like access around each plant. My plants are alll grown together and there's no getting to the "center" of this thing anymore. Que sera' sera'....

Trimming- I did nothing to these plants. A trim prolly woulda helped lessen the popcorn i'll undoubtedly see on this grow....but hey...I LOVE hash and this BB makes some freaky shit so "no worries". Those growing for sales and bag appeal might wanna trim. These things are incredibly huge/thick///like NOTHING i've ever grown before. there will be pounds of bub material...and I'd bes' get to makin another set of bags soon!

pH monitoring equipment-- If you look at blow ups of the plant pic you'll see that I had a SERIOUS issue a few weeks ago with what I believe to be an 'acidic' condition.

I have 2 monitoring devices. I THOUGHT I had my ass covered but as things played out I saw I really didn't....

Trimeter- had a replacement probe and the old one was about 3 years old...so i swapped em out. SEEMED to calibrate OK....... so off we went.

At the same time my Hanna combo started acting up and wouldn't calibrate to 7.0. Had a replacement probe but when I went to get it the tip was already broken. Not good.

Searched ALL the local hydro stores for a replacement. Nope. Fuckers carry the NEW pen...ut no probe for it. Damn. Ordered one online......EXPRESS.

in the meantime the 'krinkle" starts......and spreads...... and I'm in that "doubt' mode that i'm sure other hydro folks have found themselves in where you just aren't SURE if the reading you are seeing can be believed fully.
The TRimeter SAID 5.8.... but my eyes were telling me differently when I looked at the plants.

When the Hanna probe came and I calibrated the pen....2 points..... then stuck it in the UC res.... YIKES....4.5 pH!!! (for about 3-4 days, i think) Drain...refill....reset.....

order new Trimeter probe.....

Back in black. Things have stayed right on the money ever since....and instantly I saw the buds go into overdrive...

However, the plants did take a hit. I was about 2 weeks into 12/12 and at critical development when this happened and it seems to have added a few weeks to the mix because for awhile there they didn't grow/develop bud like they shoulda been. Overall I doubt i'll knock it out of the park this grow...but even so there's gonna bbe a shit-ton of bud coming out of here when this is all over. Things are just NOW starting to jam good...so we'll see how it plays out over the next few weeks.

Temps have been tolerable. We had some 90F days last week that pushed the limits (85F lights on, 72 res temp) but we're back to "normal" now with highs in the 70-85 range and those beautiful 45 degree nights with TONS of cool air to work with. On those nights i can dial the temp in wherever I want from 65-80.... and res temps stay well in the 60's.
(The reflectix is performing very well, IMO)

Barring my own screw ups....this is a great system that is EASY to run. Can't wait to see some of the rest of you getttin on it....

FWIW...once I recoup some funds I'm lookin at a new BlueLab res meter to further cover my ass....

thanks for stoppin in.

s h

Nono 096
E

easypleasie

Excellent info, bro. So nice when people share their ups and downs. Room and girls are looking awesome! I'd say it's a little bit of an improvement over the buckets :)

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Very thorough update sh! Everything looks awesome despite the pH issues early on... Besides that one time you drained and refilled everything, how many other nutrient res changes did you do, or are you doing the top off method? :wondering

sky high

sky high

Yo shady.

I'm topping off mostly.....but every coupla weeks I drain it and start over again out of habit. LOL. I'd say I've changed it out 4 times over the entire grow.

s h

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Thx for the response bud... I'm very excited to try the UC and very impressed with your room as well. Ahhh... Gotta figure out the chiller location first. :thinking

M

mtnlyin

That was an interesting read there, Sky. I am truly intrigued by the UC thing now. I had wanted to do an aero set up but this has me at least thinking about other ideas now. I love your set up and can't wait to see what this first go around brings you for the harvest. Keep up the good work and I'll pull up a chair, a bowl and wait on the harvest.

O

okcomputer42

Hello everyone!! This is my first post and real read on here and it was absolutely amazing! I read through this whole 14 page thread today. I'm so impressed that this is the system I'm going to go for with my first grow. Which means I've got a lot I need to educate myself on. Testing ph, ppm etc, etc. If anyone could point me in right direction regarding the basics, I would greatly appreciate it. Anyways WOW! Excellent thread and great read, Sky High. Truly inspiring! Thanks!!

Ok

L

LEBDOG

Hello everyone!! This is my first post and real read on here and it was absolutely amazing! I read through this whole 14 page thread today. I'm so impressed that this is the system I'm going to go for with my first grow. Which means I've got a lot I need to educate myself on. Testing ph, ppm etc, etc. If anyone could point me in right direction regarding the basics, I would greatly appreciate it. Anyways WOW! Excellent thread and great read, Sky High. Truly inspiring! Thanks!!

Ok

Do I get this one?

Read this thread again, then read JackMayOffers and you will find a lot of information here. I promise that everyone here will be helpful, they just want you to do your own work, as you have to do it for yourself. Reading 1, 2 or 3 threads, won't get you started. You really need to read dozens, but I will give you credit you found a good one, and may kinda have inclinations. Most 1st posters would never have targeted such a good grow to model their style after.

Good luck!

Top Bottom