diy vacuum pruge station

• Thread starter Glab120
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Glab120

Glab120

Awesome guide Glab. I've been doing research on these setups and your guide has some critical info. I have been making loads of BHO just doing heat purging, and really want to get to a vac setup asap. I will be following your guide almost exactly.

For the AC charge line you have hooked up to the pump, can you just use one of those lines from the A/C recharge cans for like 15 bucks?

Have you tried placing the SS container into a water bath while pumping? Or is that not really needed?

Also, super nice oil rig.

yes. you can deff use the line from those recharging cans. ive tried a hot water bath before but the ss container is too heavy and its just awkward.

Glab120

Glab120

heres some random oil ive made recently plus a pic of my 4x4 tent
IMG 0095
IMG 0127
IMG 0128
IMG 0140

P

pyrexNblades

Glab you make some fire oil i hope to achieve something like that.

How did you make the seal out of the bathroom mat where the top meets the stainless steel do you loosely place the mat between and once vacuum is on it seals down or is the mat actually glued to the top in a way and was the mat just a rubber mat?

anyways love your tech beautiful oil man wow

C

Corleone Grower

how do you keep you pressure at 30 ?is there a regulator on pump?

F

flink

FYI, you can make a fairly huge vacuum chamber using the Harbor Freight pressure pot. They sell 2.5 and 3.0 CFM vacuum pumps, too.

A

Aaronimoe

Glab, you've inspired me to make my own vacuum chamber based off of yours. so far i've bought the pump(2stage from harbor) and a pot to use as my chamber. I have a few questions if you could please help me out.

-how exactly did you connect your pump to the lexan?
i bought a couple different barbed bolts but they dont seem to fit... what kind of bolts/tubing?
-do you have any other ideas for a homemade gasket?
-which nozzle did you use on your 2 stage pump? the 1/4"SAE or 1/2"acme?

Im pretty much almost finished but im getting a little frustrated with the different sized barbs and different size adapters on the pump.

D

Dan Adabidoo

I would also like to get the specifics on this chamber. If you could provide them, the initial stuff about the hoses and connectors is pretty vague. It looks like you have a great set up and I would like to build this bad boy soon. A lot of the premade chambers looks really cheap and have bad reviews so if you could hook us up with some specific instructions with hoses/connectors etc. that would be awesome. Thanks in advance man!

Glab120

Glab120

Glab, you've inspired me to make my own vacuum chamber based off of yours. so far i've bought the pump(2stage from harbor) and a pot to use as my chamber. I have a few questions if you could please help me out.

-how exactly did you connect your pump to the lexan?
i bought a couple different barbed bolts but they dont seem to fit... what kind of bolts/tubing?
-do you have any other ideas for a homemade gasket?
-which nozzle did you use on your 2 stage pump? the 1/4"SAE or 1/2"acme?

Im pretty much almost finished but im getting a little frustrated with the different sized barbs and different size adapters on the pump.
I would also like to get the specifics on this chamber. If you could provide them, the initial stuff about the hoses and connectors is pretty vague. It looks like you have a great set up and I would like to build this bad boy soon. A lot of the premade chambers looks really cheap and have bad reviews so if you could hook us up with some specific instructions with hoses/connectors etc. that would be awesome. Thanks in advance man!

sry i haven't responded sooner but hopefully i can help yall a little. getting the 1/4 inch barbs into the lexan is probably the hardest part, i just pre drilled the holes then screwed the barbs in(easier said than done) but thats all i did.

the 1/4 inch hose that connects to the pump is from an automotive A/C recharging can thats sold at any auto parts store for under $20. i use two 1/4 inch ball valves to regulate pressure and to isolate the chamber from the pump while its not running(this also prevents the oil in the vac pump form being sucked into the chamber, believe me this sucks!!) all the other hoses are just regular 1/4 inch air lines.

hopefully these pics help.
IMG 0237
IMG 0235
IMG 0232
IMG 0239
IMG 0240
IMG 0241

A

Aaronimoe

the 1/4 inch hose that connects to the pump is from an automotive A/C recharging can thats sold at any auto parts store for under $20.

nice. this is kind of the golden egg to me. I couldnt find a female barb that would screw onto my vac completely. but this makes sense because our pumps were meant for automotive reasons. with this 1/4 tube I can then connect it straight to my chamber or a T-adapter if i want to use a gauge. rather then building my own chamber I went ahead and ordered a Bel-art desiccator which comes with a 1/4 barb with a valve built in!

either way, Glab if it wasnt for this thread i would have never realized how easy/practical a vacuum setup could be. :)

btw. whats all that white stuff your putting in between the threads? silicone?

orbad

orbad

Fyi, automotive vacuum pumps than run off of pressurized air work as well. Harbor Freight has them for like 15 bucks if you already have a decent air compressor. Don't try it with your portable one though.

Glab120

Glab120

nice. this is kind of the golden egg to me. I couldnt find a female barb that would screw onto my vac completely. but this makes sense because our pumps were meant for automotive reasons. with this 1/4 tube I can then connect it straight to my chamber or a T-adapter if i want to use a gauge. rather then building my own chamber I went ahead and ordered a Bel-art desiccator which comes with a 1/4 barb with a valve built in!

either way, Glab if it wasnt for this thread i would have never realized how easy/practical a vacuum setup could be. :)

btw. whats all that white stuff your putting in between the threads? silicone?

its teflon tape...kinda like silicone i guess

Glab120

Glab120

Fyi, automotive vacuum pumps than run off of pressurized air work as well. Harbor Freight has them for like 15 bucks if you already have a decent air compressor. Don't try it with your portable one though.

im familier with what your talking about i think, i just wonder how much HG vac a setup like that could do. being abel to pull 29-30 HG vac is very important.

orbad

orbad

My automotive gauges say I get to about 27. Do the last two make a big difference? It seems to really start expanding up towards my indicated 27, but I could see two more inches making even more difference.

I think if I ditch my regulator on the output of my compressor I may be able to get another inch.

Edit : isn't something like 29.9" a perfect vacuum? Like really hard to achieve?

D

Dan Adabidoo

Thanks for the extra pics. That definetely helps more but also raises more questions because it looks like you've changed your design since the original post. One question I've had is how thick are your lexan sheets in total? Would a half inch thick piece work? Should I get the 2.5 cfm or the 3 cfm pump from harbor freight? What is the pressure gauge for, do you keep it at a certain pressure? I'll probably have more questions when you answer these I apologize but I want to get everything covered.

D

Dan Adabidoo

Gauge question was answered while typing. So you want 29-30 HG? This is just a regular gas gauge?

orbad

orbad

I have a 1/4" sheet of lexan over about a 9-10" pot with a little bit of deflection, but not scary for lexan. 1/2" would be plenty and is what I would use next time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom