do cfls really work

• Thread starter still learnin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

still learnin

ok i have moved, so while i get my new space set up, i was wondering how many cfls&wat wattage works best.there will only be about 3 plants n 5gal buckets.so any advise will help.. keep growing the sweetherb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

Skunkenstein

Absolutely!! They are probably the most important Light for seedlings and Doing cuttings. I would go to your Local shop and buy one of the 125w or 200w CFL'S with a Hood.Cfl's will grow a plant up to a certain Point,then you really need to step up to a 400w Metal Halide or Jump right into flowering with an HPS.The powerful cfl's are great for keeping the plants bushy and compact initially..But they will eventually Demand more light and start to stretch.You would be selling yourself short to not make the leap to the serious Lights for Flowering..esp. in 5 gallon buckets.Your Plants wont have the energy Necessary to grow roots into all that soil..Hope this helps!!

S

still learnin

hey thanks, i do have a 400wt hps air cooled, but not set up yet.got to build room.what im trying to do is get it started early&move out in spring to the garden.. once room is up & running i would like to alternate cfls &hps for heat problems..im in the dirty south it gets hot without 400wts running..do the 65wt cfls do good?

S

Skunkenstein

I would say 65w Flouros would be ok for seedlings for just a brief period of time..other than that, they are really weak.Air cooled hoods are a must almost anywhere you live..Heat is probably the biggest nuisance in any grow room I've ever encounterd! Build your self a 6x6 or buy a grow tent...AC unit might come in damn handy!! I have a portable 14,ooo btu unit that is basically a heat pump..provides cool air in the summer and heat in the winter..best 550 bucks I ever spent,plus I get all the Free distilled water I need to run in my Humidifier,as I live in an Arid part of my state.Living down south, you just need to make sure you have Fresh air coming in, and stale air going out, to keep any mold issues at bay..keep your air flow moving at all times.74-76 degree temps are Ideal when lights are on..dont let your lights off temps drop to much either..68-70 would be perfect when lights go out.

C

cacamal

hey thanks, i do have a 400wt hps air cooled, but not set up yet.got to build room.what im trying to do is get it started early&move out in spring to the garden.. once room is up & running i would like to alternate cfls &hps for heat problems..im in the dirty south it gets hot without 400wts running..do the 65wt cfls do good?

you can def grow a plant from seed to smoke using cfls. you will need more.i have made outlets in sections supported by semirigid material to bend and mold around the plant.get some of those Y connectors and you can get 42w for cheap.or cheap "flood light"style ones at the depot.anyway just get a bunch on one plant flip it to 12/12 very early because the cfls cannot support too much height and it will see you through until you get your 400 rockin

S

still learnin

thanks,for all the input from two sides. i've read the book"buds for less" but wasnt sure if it realy woked.. so as long as their started after the 3rd node,they could last the flowering.how many lights per plant.6"pots or buckets..

urbanite420

urbanite420

CFLs also make your cuttings root like madness, in my experience.

S

still learnin

yeah iv used em for clonin&seeds,but wasnt sure if they could finish a flowering cycle while keeping them tight..preciate all and any help.

G

Green Cali

CFL's for a short time

I have used 5500k-6500k(blue spectrum) cfl bulbs for veg until the plants are about 8 inches tall then hardened off and into the greenhouse.

S

still learnin

thanks peeps..anyone know if u can finish flowering w/spiral cfls..wish i had a greenhouse..

B

Bill Bloome

Greetings Still Learnin, Hell yes,CFLs definitely work.I get good results from the box I built using CFLs and tubes I had around the house.Got about 20 bucks in my Micro Box and it works very well.Check out my Gallery.

S

still learnin

hey bill bloome, nice shots.it looked like 4 cfls & 2 tubes..what watt r the cfls,and what watt on the hps up top..any vent fans,if so what size fans cfm..

S

still learnin

sweet thread bearsfather..that pretty much did it for me..that shit was gangsta,i didnt think the tub would be big enough ,for all the roots..again thanks..

H

harpdog

I know this sounds stupid but you know the answer and I don't/ What does cfls stand for. Do I go to Lowes and ask for a 6 foot cfls?

B

bicycle racer

they rock in veg never flowered exclusively with them though.

S

still learnin

Read ProGrowannabe's log:

LIKE BEARSFATHER SAID CHECK OUT THIS DUDES GROW WITH EM..I WOULDNT HAVE THOUGHT SO. BUT NOW I DO.:banana1sv6: ILL USE THEM TO HELP WITH HPS IN MY HOT SPOT GROW..I HURED RUNNING A DEHUMIDIFIER WILL HELP KEEP AREA COOLER..IS THIS TRUE?? THANKS TO ALL..

D

dooobster

Check it

This was the first thing I grew cannbis under. Worked great!! LOL

Lights_1.jpg

GrowCab16.jpg

They're 26 watt daylight spectrum cfl's.

You can flower under them but the buds won't be as tight as you get with high intensity. Still getcha stoned :)

Top Bottom