do you guys think wall reflection REALLY makes a big difference?

• Thread starter Noworries
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
from what i see it works as a texture and pigment...theres a reason most houses have knock down ceilings and flat white paint...texture breaks the light up ..rite?..white reflects it??..add white walls , and all you need is a small light to light up a room...
if you look at the reflectors in our hoods, the are pebbled for texture ..rite?...im no pro ...:)

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
as far as additives ...fungicide can be added, most paint stores have it in a lil package..you can even add a pesticide also..you can build a badass paint for your grow room for cheap..dry lock is a good sealer+ additives addeed all ready..give me a bit and i will git you guys a cost and square footage

420Gator

420Gator

I have to call bs on anything that claims a 90%+ reflection rate, that would nearly DOUBLE the light in a room.....bullshit!

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
1 gallon latex drylock 20$
zinsser mildew shite 3$
bug juice 16$
roughly 225 square foot of coverage..you could get a bit more coverage out of it also..i like nice coats, so i shoot to the low side of the square footage..
from what i seen at the growilla site...price is real close,, and i bet the product are close to the same

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

jim,does drylock contain titanium dioxide?what do you know about that additive?

update,drylock DOES contain titanium dioxide according to their MSDS sheet!

soserthc1

soserthc1

1 gallon latex drylock 20$
zinsser mildew shite 3$
bug juice 16$
roughly 225 square foot of coverage..you could get a bit more coverage out of it also..i like nice coats, so i shoot to the low side of the square footage..
from what i seen at the growilla site...price is real close,, and i bet the product are close to the same
Good info just logged this in my book of cannabis knowledge and it will be added to my new grow room upon construction ..... karma my friend .... peace soser

ttystikk

ttystikk

I have to call bs on anything that claims a 90%+ reflection rate, that would nearly DOUBLE the light in a room.....bullshit!

It really does. What you're forgetting is that light intensity continues to attenuate at an exponential rate, whether it hits a reflective surface or not. This accounts for your observations.

jim,does drylock contain titanium dioxide?what do you know about that additive?

update,drylock DOES contain titanium dioxide according to their MSDS sheet!

ALL whitish paint has titanium dioxide in it; it's what makes white paint white! They went to it after the EPA wisely outlawed 'lead whiting' as the white base in paint. I'm not sure that any more needs to be added to the paint, since paint works by drying and depositing the layer on the surface. It's still titanium dioxide... the thickness will be more a result of application technique than initial percentages.

reeldrag

reeldrag

Behr premium plus has the highest level of titanium dioxide in a home owner grade Im sure you could find a higher grade but the price would be thru the roof

soserthc1

soserthc1

It really does. What you're forgetting is that light intensity continues to attenuate at an exponential rate, whether it hits a reflective surface or not. This accounts for your observations.

ALL whitish paint has titanium dioxide in it; it's what makes white paint white! They went to it after the EPA wisely outlawed 'lead whiting' as the white base in paint. I'm not sure that any more needs to be added to the paint, since paint works by drying and depositing the layer on the surface. It's still titanium dioxide... the thickness will be more a result of application technique than initial percentages.
would hurt to add the bug juice as anything that can deter bugs would be helpful imho.....

Sinner D

Sinner D

I just got done building my grow room a couple weekends ago, and I was on a tight budget. Not only did I space the studs 24" to save on lumber, but it also helped when hanging the interior paneling I chose for the walls. It's basic 1/8" 4' x 8' "Thrifty White, Hardboard, Panel Board" from the HD. It was $11.87 a sheet and I didn't have to mud or paint like I would've had to with drywall. Also, the paneling can double as a dry erase board, so I can post 'to-do' lists or reminders right in plain sight.
I do think, in my amateur opinion, that it's best to have a reflective surface or color on the walls for a grow. But I also think that what 420 Gator said is true, there is a lot of over hyped products that are unnecessary in the market of indoor gardening. Remember, necessity is the mother of invention, and freedom to do what you want or need to with your operation, has a lot to do with what you have in your wallet!

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i had a buddy that just got done wrapping 2 grows at sepperate spots. one of them was in an area with green blocks for the walls. and another was in a room with matte white paint on the walls. the lowers seemed airy in the green room so he just got dont using mylar all over the walls. and has another run about to be started.

one question with that light meter dosent it just measure that one spot? so your getting 30 lumens every inch of refective material.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Sure you can use Black or Red or Pink but that does not make it the best. Yes you have a nice grow and what your doing your happy with.

The facts are that adding a reflective wall will produce more than not having one. The material or color is important. A nice white flat white is a real good way to go or the reflective film or Panda with the white outside.

TRY ALL BLACK WALLS... LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES

Black is the worst color you can use. Black absorbs light and white reflects it.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

honestly when i started growing indoor i just used panda film. As i expanded went with flat white paint. moved on to double sided mirror mylar, rocked that for years and had way better results than just using a white surface. now recently, i spent the chips on reflectix, IMO $ well spent all the way around the board. Props to MWD^^^. it has many other uses other than reflection and it was the easiest thing in the world to put up. And if you ever put up mylar by yourself than u might know what im talking about......
Z

Top Bottom