Do you think this will finish okay?

• Thread starter BigBlonde
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yes, you did. Are you angry? If so, what did I do wrong? I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.

We didn't discuss adjusting the low soil pH, and I doubt there's much that can be done about that at this point. Today's posts have mostly been follow-up on what had been discussed previously and doing some thinking about the next grow. I'll try to do better then.

I'm pretty sure I'm following most of the advice. I can't water in nutrients yet. I adjusted the climate controls. Here's what it looks like now. The humidity is up and the VPD looks good. I dropped the temperature down two degrees, too. I noticed that the humidifier isn't running, so the plants must be transpiring better.

View attachment 1324230
haha nooo not angry, just kinda watching and see that your getting advice but sounded like you didn’t know what to do, well i guess you do, all good.
just during that salts talk i passed over all that..

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

haha nooo not angry, just kinda watching and see that your getting advice but sounded like you didn’t know what to do, well i guess you do, all good.
Hey Nick what should be done about PH? Can it be addressed? I gotta go back and find what you advised.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm pretty sure I'm following most of the advice. I can't water in nutrients yet. I adjusted the climate controls. Here's what it looks like now. The humidity is up and the VPD looks good. I dropped the temperature down two degrees, too. I noticed that the humidifier isn't running, so the plants must be transpiring better.

View attachment 1324230

That's a great step one. Back on the fairway. Time to figure out the proper way to treat that soil now to get the right nutes at the right PH up to the leaves with the right amount of water. @GNick55 would be the advice I follow for this, nothing against any other poster here but you gotta listen to 1 person or you will go crazy. I feel your pain on the "time for lunch" comment. If you want to see how growing should be done using this style, look at Nick's successes.

Any indication the plants are drinking now? The humidifier not running is a good sign, just hoping to see the effects on the plant too. You are not going to fix those damaged areas, but hopefully the other areas are looking different?

Anyhow I'm back to the hydroponics threads where I belong, good luck.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Good! I'm at a point at which I have learned a lot, but still have a lot to learn. This is only my second indoor grow and the first one ended badly. So I haven't yet had a crop. That first failure hurt, but at least I haven't had spider mite problems this time. This grow was doing well till the flip. Then it went to hell in a hurry. It can be overwhelming.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Time to figure out the proper way to treat that soil now to get the right nutes at the right PH up to the leaves with the right amount of water. @GNick55 would be the advice I follow for this
We have a day or so to think about it. The soil is still too moist to water. I hesitate because we don't live near a place where we can buy much to help. We have to order most amendments and they can take a week to get here. By then, it's likely to be too late.

Any indication the plants are drinking now? The humidifier not running is a good sign, just hoping to see the effects on the plant too. You are not going to fix those damaged areas, but hopefully the other areas are looking different?
The left plant in the pictures is showing signs of slight improvement, the other looks a bit worse. Overall, not much visible change. They're both showing signs of using more water. I think all those yellowed leaves aren't transpiring now, so that's probably limiting water use.

The good news is that the buds look like they're progressing well. The left plant is behind the right plant in the number of amber pistils. The two have grown differently from the beginning.

you gotta listen to 1 person or you will go crazy.
True, but a person also has to appreciate all the help, too. The amount of knowledge here is amazing.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
We have a day or so to think about it. The soil is still too moist to water. I hesitate because we don't live near a place where we can buy much to help. We have to order most amendments and they can take a week to get here. By then, it's likely to be too late.

The left plant in the pictures is showing signs of slight improvement, the other looks a bit worse. Overall, not much visible change. They're both showing signs of using more water. I think all those yellowed leaves aren't transpiring now, so that's probably limiting water use.

The good news is that the buds look like they're progressing well. The left plant is behind the right plant in the number of amber pistils. The two have grown differently from the beginning.

True, but a person also has to appreciate all the help, too. The amount of knowledge here is amazing.
is there a grower helping you?
or we just kinda riding this out watching, seeing what’s happening?
anyhoo seems like a couple days before a feeding..
maybe just post a couple pictures everyday as updates..

A

Aligoodtime

I'm not a he, but I tend to keep quiet about it, especially on a forum that is "98% dudes." Using "he" is kinda the default for most folks.

Now, back to the plants...
If people can’t accept you for who you are then they ain’t worth knowing. He/she , trans whatever ! We’re ALL human at the end ov the day.
Hope your all in good company and smoking good herb .
Stay safe

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

the issue is the plants roots probably are so big by now that you cannot actually work the top layer to make any adjustments to it. i would have recommended adding lime to raise you ph. it might work as a top dress but ideally you work it onto the top layer or even lower
stuff like gypsum and rockdust and all the goodies need to go in at the start, or with up potting from a seedling mix

Last edited:
GrilledCheeze

GrilledCheeze

the issue is the plants roots probably are so big by now that you cannot actually work the top layer to make any adjustments to it. i would have recommended adding lime to raise you ph. it might work as a top dress but ideally you work it onto the top layer
stuff like gypsum and rockdust and all the goodies need to go in at the start, or with up potting from a seedling mix
I top dressed my tomatoes last year with lime, not for pH but calcium. It worked great. One issue I see with that is the lime caking up on the soil surface causing the water to not distribute evenly. I think if you mixed it with water into a solution it could help with the low soil pH.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

is there a grower helping you?
or we just kinda riding this out watching, seeing what’s happening?
anyhoo seems like a couple days before a feeding..
maybe just post a couple pictures everyday as updates..
I've had lots of help. @Moe.Red thought you would have ideas about soil growing and specifically about how to raise the pH of the soil. We tested it yesterday and it was about 5.

Yes. We're just trying to make the best of it till harvest. The plants are finishing the 4th week since the flip.

They might need to be fed tomorrow or the day after. Hopefully, they're transpiring better now that we adjusted the VPD.

I'll post pictures. Here's one for today after almost 10 hours of light. I believe they might be looking a bit more green.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

the issue is the plants roots probably are so big by now that you cannot actually work the top layer to make any adjustments to it. i would have recommended adding lime to raise you ph. it might work as a top dress but ideally you work it onto the top layer or even lower
We could top dress some lime with some added soil. We might even have some lime here already, come to think of it.

Anthem

Anthem

I doubt they look all that much better. Def. start about 3 weeks in a soil type media before they actually show up in the leaf surfaces of the plant. Secondly you have mentioned several times " but the buds still look good" of course they do. Why? Because what is the plant trying to achieve? It is trying to keep the buds alive so that it can reproduce. Your best solution to all of this is to take the advise of a single individual and run with it. Every time you post all of the people on this thread will have an opinion. Please help yourself help you and only take advise from one individual on this site. @GNick55 has been using your type of set up for years and is very successful. So please help yourself help you and only take advise from one person. If you think this is complete hog wash I understand but if so. Please just go back to page #1 and read from the start to the end of this thread and write down how many different opinions people have. Remember help yourself help you and only take advise from one person.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

@Anthem
only helped determine the cause but ok ill back down

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I top dressed my tomatoes last year with lime, not for pH but calcium. It worked great. One issue I see with that is the lime caking up on the soil surface causing the water to not distribute evenly. I think if you mixed it with water into a solution it could help with the low soil pH.
Maybe mix some lime with some soil and use that mixture to top dress?

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I doubt they look all that much better. Def. start about 3 weeks in a soil type media before they actually show up in the leaf surfaces of the plant. Secondly you have mentioned several times " but the buds still look good" of course they do. Why? Because what is the plant trying to achieve? It is trying to keep the buds alive so that it can reproduce. Your best solution to all of this is to take the advise of a single individual and run with it. Every time you post all of the people on this thread will have an opinion. Please help yourself help you and only take advise from one individual on this site. @GNick55 has been using your type of set up for years and is very successful. So please help yourself help you and only take advise from one person. If you think this is complete hog wash I understand but if so. Please just go back to page #1 and read from the start to the end of this thread and write down how many different opinions people have. Remember help yourself help you and only take advise from one person.
They look a little better, especially the left one. They'll never look good with so much leaf necrosis.

I prefer people share their ideas. That doesn't mean I'll do everything everyone recommended. That's not even possible. But I can look for commonalities. In this case, fixing the VPD was one. Nutrient deficiencies, especially calcium, is another. The reasons for the deficiencies was unclear, though. Now that we know the pH is low, we might have an explanation for that. Lockout is probably another.

I know that the plants prioritize the reproductive processes. I want to prioritize the buds, too. It has been four weeks since the flip, so, to me, it makes sense to help them prioritize budding. Mostly, I think the best plan is to limp to the finish and make this a learning experience for the next grow.

Anthem

Anthem

They look a little better, especially the left one. They'll never look good with so much leaf necrosis.

I prefer people share their ideas. That doesn't mean I'll do everything everyone recommended. That's not even possible. But I can look for commonalities. In this case, fixing the VPD was one. Nutrient deficiencies, especially calcium, is another. The reasons for the deficiencies was unclear, though. Now that we know the pH is low, we might have an explanation for that. Lockout is probably another.

I know that the plants prioritize the reproductive processes. I want to prioritize the buds, too. It has been four weeks since the flip, so, to me, it makes sense to help them prioritize budding. Mostly, I think the best plan is to limp to the finish and make this a learning experience for the next grow.
First I will leave you alone moving forward because you will be a problem for anyone to help and well. More than I have tried to suggest to you to just follow the advise of one person. So what will happen in this grow is something like this. You will take the advise of all and get a general consensus of that is wrong. You will get the materials it takes to fix the problem in about 1 week as you stated after about 4 days of getting the consensus. But it literally took you what 2 weeks of plants going bad for you to post. Know we are at 3.5 weeks to start to fix the problem. Here is what is in store for your plants in the next 5 to 7 weeks. Finishing depends on PPFD, nutrients and strain in general. So we have lets split the difference 6 weeks of flower left. And of those 6 weeks we have weeks 4 thru 6.5. This is the time when the plant requires the most nutrients. See the thing is your plants are already literally eating themselves to support the flowers, so while you are contemplating your next move the plants are killing themselves. I wish I could stick around to the finish but I have better things to do with my time.

Top Bottom