do you turn the lights off when you veg?... And if so, how long?

• Thread starter ken dog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

Find a reliable source that says plants need to "sleep"

Farmers and other astute observers of nature have long known that crops like corn and sorghum grow taller at night. But the biochemical mechanisms that control this nightly stem elongation, common to most plants, have been something of a mystery to biologists -- until now.

You do not want stem elongation.... or maybe you do.. I don't though.

Talk about a reliable source.

J

Jalisco Kid

LOL, glad you were in my garden and are telling me after the fact about my plants being stressed. You make assumptions as to why or how the bud rot was brought on in my situation. I can tell you that since dialing my RH back to what Ive always run (around 40-50% in flower) I haven't had this issue and thast the only thing in the environment that's changed. That tells me that , yes it was the high RH that caused it, but thanks for your input.

As to the second line in the quote. I "believe" is exactly right. Just as I believe, and have seen with my own eyes in my own grow, that 24/7 is best for me. And for the "people Ive seen" comment, well I'm not sure who you've seen but ya sure would never catch me using any of that shit you mentioned. I'm not even sure what that was supposed to mean or why it was mentioned but it surely doesn't apply to myself and the other folks I know that run their veg lights 24/7. WTF? MGG

I believe again that if you had a healthy room and took preventions you can rock 70% humidity.You I believe adapted to you room rather then possible change something in it. Green house studies has proven it and jungle weed shows it. You can not show a harvest,flavor,looks advantage over running 24/7. Not that it matters its your room. But by saying you get bigger plants,insinuating that puts out larger harvest.If you are not insinuating that then why run it that way. That's why I brought it up.
The chems I mentioned I mentioned that because people who stress their plants out ,lower immune sys,which allows for problems to arise.
In getting to watch over many many different gardens with different modes of growing and growers I learnt 1 or 2 things about people and plants.

When you start out with killer genetics these days gives people a head trip thinking they did that rather then what was already in the cut.
Anyway I hope your room always rocks for you.
JK

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

"You I believe adapted to you room rather then possible changing something in it" ??? WTF is that even supposed to mean exactly? I don't think I understood what you were saying there as adapting IS changing something, and that was lowering the RH.

As far as the "jungle weed" you're referring to, that would be landrace sats most likely growing native in a humid, hot jungle type of environment, which are much different than heavy dense indicas. Youd think with all the knowledge you seem to try to throw around and all the gardens and growers you've "watched" over you'd know that lol. One thing is for certain here...you have never been in my garden or "watched over" me. You make assumption on everyone based on what you've seen in the grows and with the peeps you've "watched", which I find ignorant from the start.

I didn't just jump into this shit when it started getting all popular and legal and shit. I've been lucky enough to have been doing this long enough to have tried many different things/methods when growing this plant. And the only thing I can attest too 100%, pertinent to this discussion, is that the plants I've grown under 24/7 light were bushier plants with shorter node distance and much thicker/sturdier branching. The 18-6 plants were taller, but were much lankier and node distance was visibly further apart. That's it and that's as far as the "testing" went. I never did weigh the plants when finished and TBH they were prob pretty damn close as far as yield and flavor but the 24/7 plants were much stockier and held the weight better.

"When you start out with killer genetics these days gives people a head trip thinking they did that rather then what was already in the cut"....... I think you might wanna take a look in the mirror before ya ask who's on a head trip here?

This thread was asking what you run and why. I don't understand why some people running 18/6 seem to be upset that some folks find it better and get better results with 24/7. MGG

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I run 24/7 but find the advocates of reduced lighting to be much better referenced and more mature here.

Also, these users are the mostly helpful and least dismissive.

Additionally, I also prefer to read university studies more than Cannabidnesses hearsay. Ask Ed is not where I refer when I need information

Maybe the 24/7 guys here would be more convincing if making their points more carefully.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I might be more convincing if I were actually trying to convince someone of something but I really don't give a shit what others do. MGG

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Honestly, MGG, at this point you seem to be the most upset about the differences in opinion. Just an observation.
heres a bit longer article for you @seamadien I hope it is not PAINFULLY long for you LOL

<o>_<o> Seriously?
Plant Physiology said:
Comparison of Dark Respiration between C3 and C4 Plants

Abstract

Lower respiratory costs were hypothesized as providing an additional benefit in C4 plants compared to C3 plants due to less investment in proteins in C4 leaves. Therefore, photosynthesis and dark respiration of mature leaves were compared between a number of C4 and C3 species. Although photosynthetic rates were generally greater in C4 when compared to C3 species, no differences were found in dark respiration rates of individual leaves at either the beginning or after 16 h of the dark period. The effects of nitrogen on photosynthesis and respiration of individual leaves and
whole plants were also investigated in two species that occupy similar habitats, Amaranthus retroflexus (C4) and Chenopodium album (C3). For mature leaves of both species, there was no relationship between leaf nitrogen and leaf respiration, with leaves of both species exhibiting a similar rate of decline after 16 h of darkness.

In contrast, leaf photosynthesis increased with increasing leaf nitrogen in both species, with the C4 species displaying a greater photosynthetic response to leaf nitrogen. For whole plants of both species grown at different nitrogen levels, there was a clear linear relationship between net CO2 uptake and CO2 efflux in the dark. The dependence of nightly CO2 efflux on CO2 uptake was similar for both species, although the response of CO2 uptake to leaf nitrogen was much steeper in the C4 species, Amaranthus retroflexus. Rates of growth and maintenance respiration by whole plants of both species were similar, with both species displaying higher rates at higher leaf nitrogen. There were no significant differences in leaf or whole plant maintenance respiration between species at any temperature between 18 and 42TC.

The data suggest no obvious differences in respiratory costs in C4 and C3 plants.

Perhaps I'm too simple to get it, but what does this have to do with the specific plant we're discussing here? That we should turn cannabis from a C3 into a C4 type of plant...? That'd be quite a trick!

What the study appears to be after is gaining a better understanding of how nitrogen is used by the two types of plants (as outlined in the chart on page two), and it discusses two photoperiods the study authors used--natural lighting & photoperiod, and then a 16/8 photoperiod. It appears that all plants were on the exact same lighting schedule.

I have to head out to Folsom with Dave this morning, so if someone feels so inclined perhaps they can connect some dots for me, because I don't get what this has to do with the discussion at hand. C4 plants are more efficient at photosynthesis than C3 is what I'm picking up.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

Not upset at all. Just don't understand why some people seem so intent on changing others minds and more specifically growing methods esp. when some have tried both ways and found whats best FOR THEM. Now back to your "observation", if I were upset Id let ya know, but thanks for your concern. ;)

nuttso

nuttso

if you have light 24/7 over your head and you are tired you will sleep. No matter if light is on or off. After 2 weeks you will have your normal rhythm. The carcadian rhythm is omnipresent. I have done several test with mother plants for years. Same strain 24/7 and 18/6. The only thing it seems to slow down is preflowers. Some mothers did go a bit further with preflowering when they have 18/6 than 24/7.

Jalisco, you know that i listen like a child in class when you talk. So if you can tell me where they get stressed i would really apprecciate it. Sry for my english folks. I'm really broke at the moment. No accurate brain function.

J

Jalisco Kid

if you have light 24/7 over your head and you are tired you will sleep. No matter if light is on or off. After 2 weeks you will have your normal rhythm. The carcadian rhythm is omnipresent. I have done several test with mother plants for years. Same strain 24/7 and 18/6. The only thing it seems to slow down is preflowers. Some mothers did go a bit further with preflowering when they have 18/6 than 24/7.

Jalisco, you know that i listen like a child in class when you talk. So if you can tell me where they get stressed i would really apprecciate it. Sry for my english folks. I'm really broke at the moment. No accurate brain function.
There are studies to show just what you wrote about,people working the mid night shift. They die younger and took more sick days. They work(they are green) their making money(they grow) and then the die young(they were stressed) Where does the not stressed come in at?Why did your mothers take longer,if all things were the same but light cycles? Even if you are running 24/7 and changing/cycling the room temps,CO2 and RH for not giving enough time to make sugars and they need to dump their load with gas exchanges. If their are studies of flowering plants yielding more flower/oil please show it to me.
My "belief" is that the plants that are cut from the same momma are grown under 24/7 and 18/6 , in exact same rooms and equipment etc. , have the similar weight(my belief less weight on 24/7),Then there must be something to the 18/6 regiment because it received 25% less energy,(lights off for 1/4 of the time) and yet produce the same output. But if there is a well run study out there show me I have no problem being schooled as I want my work to be the best it can be with the least hassle. No problem changing the way I do things if I see the difference.

Mr green jeans I have no problem with you so please do not take it personally.I am told it is my writing style. Now I appreciate that you lowered you rh, some people would have sprayed their girls w/serenade after dipping them in milk. I just get going when people throw science aside, or read shit like Ed and then tell people not to foliar spray because the light will burn the leafs. Or fools at AN telling people to run nutes at 53-57* because bacteria would not grow, If it sounds not right I ask about it,usually test it myself. I would set down and burn your bud with you anytime.
JK

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

I run 24/7 but find the advocates of reduced lighting to be much better referenced and more mature here.

Also, these users are the mostly helpful and least dismissive.

Additionally, I also prefer to read university studies more than Cannabidnesses hearsay. Ask Ed is not where I refer when I need information

Maybe the 24/7 guys here would be more convincing if making their points more carefully.
Plus that Ed post was from 2003. When science on marijuana was no place to be found.

purpleberry

purpleberry

24/7
Ive been there done that with the light cycle in veg. Ive read it both ways and I tried both ways. If you did a side by side from clone to 15g bush 24/7 vs 18/6 I promise you the 24/7 will be a lot larger.
If you run 18/6 I bet you can walk in your room and find pre flowers, Some strains show more than others. Also never run your veg 24/7 Then move them into the flower room on 18/6 to save $. Run all your veg on the same schedule, They will show pre flowers and not stretch as good if you change it. I learned that by doing it a couple times, and seeing how the plants stall out trying to figure out what to do. They think its time to flower because the days just dropped 6 hours of light , Then they think its time to veg because there is 18 hours of light. 24/7 and 12/12 work the best.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I don't spray with shit...never have. I take my grow very seriously and make sure to be freshly showered and in clean clothing anytime I work in my rooms. I also go to great lengths to keep them clean and disinfected so I don't need to use sprays of any kind and there aren't residuals from sprays passed on to my patients. I don't read Ed as I realize his main objective is to sell books and have been doing this long enough to know not to believe shit that I read unless I have tested it and it works IN MY GROW.
I personally think AN is shit and would never use that crap on anything I planned on smoking but that's just me, I know peeps that use it and love it, so again to each his own, but I wouldn't go to the point of arguging with them to try and change their minds as some have done here on this issue.
I have no prob with being asked about anything I do or recommend. I just don't like peeps trying to tell me my plants might be living but "aren't doing well". Ive seen what "not doing well" looks like on these forums and seeing my plants everyday I know that indeed they are doing well, despite some thinking that 24/7 shouldn't be used and if it is the peeps running it don't know what they're doing. That being said, I have no personal issue with you either JK, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. MGG

J

Jalisco Kid

24/7
Ive been there done that with the light cycle in veg. Ive read it both ways and I tried both ways. If you did a side by side from clone to 15g bush 24/7 vs 18/6 I promise you the 24/7 will be a lot larger.
If you run 18/6 I bet you can walk in your room and find pre flowers, Some strains show more than others. Also never run your veg 24/7 Then move them into the flower room on 18/6 to save $. Run all your veg on the same schedule, They will show pre flowers and not stretch as good if you change it. I learned that by doing it a couple times, and seeing how the plants stall out trying to figure out what to do. They think its time to flower because the days just dropped 6 hours of light , Then they think its time to veg because there is 18 hours of light. 24/7 and 12/12 work the best.
But do you have more weight or a much pretty girl when finished over 18/6? Short term gains with a price does not outgrow 18/6 from my experience. Maybe it's me or my girls and I couldn't get more weight at harvest. But you would have to show me a real study before I switch the timer.JK

Beastgrow

Beastgrow

Where does the not stressed come in at?

The plant adjusts for the light cycle. I happen to notice fastest growth under 24 hours of light. These plants are only 23 days old, already 3 days into 12/12
Image003
Image004

A

apples2ora

You will sleep regardless of lights on or not. If you are tired you will sleep. Want more growth in veg keep RH high and stomatas open. Dur. Science people.

For dumb people

Science = tested logic and proven theory. No wacky light shit needed.

Top Bottom