Does anyone use side lighting in flower?

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've been using side lighting in my veg closet when my plants get large enough, then I put them in flower without any side lighting other than reflection. With my 1000w hps I'm wondering about adding a few led strip lights to help harden up the lower buds. Some of these led are cheap enough to put around the perimeter without adding much in electric costs........Just a passing brain fart I saw these on Amazon earlier and wondered if these or similar could help or hinder.
Does anyone use side lighting in flower

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I've considered this. I'm sure it will increase yield and quality of those lower buds, I just don't know how much.

A have a couple of friends who use the ol' vertical hang HID method, with no reflector. It works well for them.

sambapati

sambapati

I've been using side lighting in my veg closet when my plants get large enough, then I put them in flower without any side lighting other than reflection. With my 1000w hps I'm wondering about adding a few led strip lights to help harden up the lower buds. Some of these led are cheap enough to put around the perimeter without adding much in electric costs........Just a passing brain fart I saw these on Amazon earlier and wondered if these or similar could help or hinder.View attachment 1215119
A grower on the forum named OneDrop used a product made in Australia called Bud Buddies they were red spectrum led bulbs that attached to either a wall or stick or something like that. He grew some wicked bud and it seemed to work. I have some red LED roll thing that may or may not be powerful or not to make a difference

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
A grower on the forum named OneDrop used a product made in Australia called Bud Buddies they were red spectrum led bulbs that attached to either a wall or stick or something like that. He grew some wicked bud and it seemed to work. I have some red LED roll thing that may or may not be powerful or not to make a difference
Ya thank, I don't see anyone using or talking about additional side lights. I think it could help specially in small spaces like tents...low heat, low watts I'm talking myself into it....I just need a push lol.....

• Haha
Reactions: PK1
sambapati

sambapati

Ya thank, I don't see anyone using or talking about additional side lights. I think it could help specially in small spaces like tents...low heat, low watts I'm talking myself into it....I just need a push lol.....
https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/lets-see-your-frostiest-flowers.58222/page-482#post-2548772. PC, take a look at this thread and you can see the red light is on inside the tent. Possible that you could synch them with the Police Roxanne song and have it sing out "turn on your red light" .....whenever you walk in the room. Not sure about whether they sell them in the usa -- there are also side CFLs that can be hung.

F

FreeTheWeeds

Check the photos in my thread.

For veg lighting, I used 4 - 10Watt 2' LEDS grow strips mounted to a wooden frame hanging from the top of the grow tent. You can see it in one of the earlier photos.

For flowering, I still have the 4 LED strips lit, hanging over the plant, plus I have 4 - 20Watt 4' LED grow strips, one in each corner. All lights are running 12 hours on, 12 hours off. They're visible in almost all the photos.

All my LED lighting cost me less than $75. Plus, they use only a total of 120 Watts. Trying to keep the electrical costs down.

I'm hoping with the side lighting, that all the lower buds will also grow nice and heavy. So far it seems to be working.

The last three weeks of flowering, I plan to have two 15Watt UvB bulbs also lighting the plant for 4 hours a day, during the middle of the 12 hours. Since the plant is a GDP, it produces more trichromes the more it's exposed to UvB light during flowering. I've read that Indica's produce more trichromes the higher in altitude that they're grown, more UvB rays.

Have a good day.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Dr. Bruce discussed this. It depends on the grower if you feel it is worth it. Yes, it increases yields, but the required extra light offsets much of the yield cost-wise. So, that means it is your choice.

F

FreeTheWeeds

Dr. Bruce discussed this. It depends on the grower if you feel it is worth it. Yes, it increases yields, but the required extra light offsets much of the yield cost-wise. So, that means it is your choice.
I'd read about the UvB, but can't see the recommended use for at night. In nature, the plant gets it's Uv's during the daylight hours, not at night. Plus, outside, the plant will get its heaviest Uv bombardment during the high noon hours. This is what I want to duplicate.

Considering the two UvB bulbs use 30 Watts total, for 21 days at 4 hours a day, about 84 hours @ 30 Watts, the cost is only several dollars. Not too worried about yield cost. This is for personal consummation and is a test run on having a setup for three plants growing thru rotation to keep me supplied.

Thanks for the input.

Have a good day.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'd read about the UvB, but can't see the recommended use for at night. In nature, the plant gets it's Uv's during the daylight hours, not at night. Plus, outside, the plant will get its heaviest Uv bombardment during the high noon hours. This is what I want to duplicate.

Considering the two UvB bulbs use 30 Watts total, for 21 days at 4 hours a day, about 84 hours @ 30 Watts, the cost is only several dollars. Not too worried about yield cost. This is for personal consummation and is a test run on having a setup for three plants growing thru rotation to keep me supplied.

Thanks for the input.

Have a good day.
I'm not talking about UV lighting just extra side lights to boost the lower branch buds...not so much in a Scrog lit area but more for my open grow where my sidewalls can be any where I want them. I just ordered these.

The running cost is minimal, your calculations are off. a bit

.."30 Watts total, for 21 days at 4 hours a day, about 84 hours @ 30 Watts, the cost is only several dollars "
Where I'm living its only $0.16/kwhr...your cost are only about $0.40 for the 84 hrs.

I had Amazon gift card money burning a hole in my wallet. They fkin lie about delivery, once you click order they set a different date...

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'll have to find that Dr.Bruce video....He speaks in a language I can understand and he's not as long winded as some of the experts, he gets to the point.

sambapati

sambapati

Thanks for the input.

Have a good day.
Somewhere I read that putting the timer on for 15 minute 'segments' every few hours during light time is the way to go, not leaving them on too long at any one time -- avoid burn marks. I haven't gotten the timer going but have (the road to hell is paved with)good intentions to do it tomorrow. Anyway 40 watts T12 G13 with "USA technology" is getting it done.

F

FreeTheWeeds

I'm not talking about UV lighting just extra side lights to boost the lower branch buds...not so much in a Scrog lit area but more for my open grow where my sidewalls can be any where I want them. I just ordered these.

The running cost is minimal, your calculations are off. a bit

.."30 Watts total, for 21 days at 4 hours a day, about 84 hours @ 30 Watts, the cost is only several dollars "
Where I'm living its only $0.16/kwhr...your cost are only about $0.40 for the 84 hrs.

View attachment 1216056
I had Amazon gift card money burning a hole in my wallet. They fkin lie about delivery, once you click order they set a different date...

Glad I'm off on the high side with the electrical costs.

This is what I ordered for the top and side LED grow lights that I'm using.

Don't stare at these LEDs, you'll be light blinded for several minutes afterwards if you do. I have to turn off the vertical LEDs when working in the tent, otherwise I'm light blinded for about 15 minutes afterwards if I don't.

Have a good day.

Herman420

Herman420

I actually have a set of these exact LEDs. I used them when I first started for germinating and seedlings. I've been thinking the same thing. They're cheap and don't use much electricity, but the output I'm not sure is worth it....I'll follow this. Please update.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I actually have a set of these exact LEDs. I used them when I first started for germinating and seedlings. I've been thinking the same thing. They're cheap and don't use much electricity, but the output I'm not sure is worth it....I'll follow this. Please update.
More toys....it'll be too late for this run but I have a Bubble Bomb ready to go I flowered 1 BB under this light already..it'll be interesting to see if side lights do anything to improve her......not likely as they're so week but I can probably keep them pretty close without burning them and improve penitration to the lower buds, that's all I'm aiming for

Herman420

Herman420

I'm currently on my 4th flower cycle, so I'm new. My current "fixation" is on cloning. I have a monster clone that I'm revegging. It was literally a bud 2 weeks from harvest I stuck in a cup of soil. My next venture is breeding a Jager Kush male with a Durban Poison female.

F

FreeTheWeeds

I updated my post with new photos.

I would have to say that running the side LEDs along with the overhead LEDs is making a great difference in bud growth and development on the lower parts of the plant.

I'm very happy so far with the results.

Have a good day.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I updated my post with new photos.

I would have to say that running the side LEDs along with the overhead LEDs is making a great difference in bud growth and development on the lower parts of the plant.

I'm very happy so far with the results.

Have a good day.
I'm only wanting to use them through flowering to give that 1 ft layer below the canopy some light. I intend on putting them vertically around them. If I was to scrog them ( which I'm not ) but right under where the netting would be.....I grow in an open space and I don't do a lot of lolly popping, I get a lot of pot from undergrowth I can cook with. What some call larf I call chocolates or cookies...

This is off a Jam / Purple Haze @ 8 weeks tomorrow without side lights....Its this stuff I'm looking to boost some

100 6769
sambapati

sambapati

I'm only wanting to use them through flowering to give that 1 ft layer below the canopy some light. I intend on putting them vertically around them. If I was to scrog them ( which I'm not ) but right under where the netting would be.....I grow in an open space and I don't do a lot of lolly popping, I get a lot of pot from undergrowth I can cook with. What some call larf I call chocolates or cookies... This is off a Jam / Purple Haze @ 8 weeks tomorrow without side lights....Its this stuff I'm looking to boost some
Also 8 weeks along with mind tricks and a plant with shades of pink salmon leaves. Have temps turned down to 21 at night 23 during the day the blacklight is on 4 hours daily. They are consuming much less H20. 1 more lite coconut water feeding on Sunday. I have 3 blurples, 3 cfls, 1 string of red lights just switched my Mars Hydro to 100%. I have fans dehumidifier and air filter 24x7.

20220216 160548
20220216 160626
20220214 174049
GoblinSmasher

GoblinSmasher

I'm currently on my 4th flower cycle, so I'm new. My current "fixation" is on cloning. I have a monster clone that I'm revegging. It was literally a bud 2 weeks from harvest I stuck in a cup of soil. My next venture is breeding a Jager Kush male with a Durban Poison female.

Very interesting, I have a plant that is in flower. Too late to take any good clones of it. Have been considering revegging it as its the only one of that kind i have..but unexperienced on it

Top Bottom