Does anyone use Sweeteners during veg? Can i or should i?

• Thread starter Masonsdad15
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Masonsdad15

Masonsdad15

I'm wondering if I can use either Botanicare Sweet and or Mendocino Honey in the veg cycle. Similar to how Heavy 16 prime is used in veg. There is some mixed information out there. Some advertising says "good for all stages of growth" but the official feeding schedules for each do not have anything listed for veg use. I would think that at least the Mendocino Honey could act similar to H16 Prime and use its Molasses to help feed the mediums microbes. I'm using growdan cubes with a flood and drain system. With TPS roots as a root booster and Great White as a inoculant. My worry is one it's just a waste and second (mostly) that these products have hormone stimulants that are not compatible with vegative growth. Also maybe Please lmk if you happen to use these products and if so what your experience and knowledge is on them. Thank you.

H

hawkman

Yes look at Canna it a sweetner that has 5 types of sugars in it

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I'm wondering if I can use either Botanicare Sweet and or Mendocino Honey in the veg cycle. Similar to how Heavy 16 prime is used in veg. There is some mixed information out there. Some advertising says "good for all stages of growth" but the official feeding schedules for each do not have anything listed for veg use. I would think that at least the Mendocino Honey could act similar to H16 Prime and use its Molasses to help feed the mediums microbes. I'm using growdan cubes with a flood and drain system. With TPS roots as a root booster and Great White as a inoculant. My worry is one it's just a waste and second (mostly) that these products have hormone stimulants that are not compatible with vegative growth. Also maybe Please lmk if you happen to use these products and if so what your experience and knowledge is on them. Thank you.
JMO but I think all that stuff is snake oil and I prefer what nature offers unadulterated(if the plant actually can assimilate it in the first place,and has no adverse effects if it can) as far as taste goes,you can always have a spoonful of honey with your bong rip.. The only good "stimulant" I have ever found was superthrive but I have never done clone side by side comparisons so it may be too,walmart even carries it now,it used to be really expensive but they have dropped the price considerably.

Potfairy

Potfairy

Adding sugar to the soil boosts mycorrhizal activity and colonization. Sugar is one of the nutrients soil fungus cannot very readily make on its own. So beneficial fungi will partner with a plant’s roots to gain access to the sugar the plant produces via photosynthesis, while sharing water and a plethora of other nutrients. This makes the plant more resilient, disease/pest resistant, drought tolerant, and produce a better quality product.
Now, I have an educated informed guess as to why occasionally feeding the soil sugars helps the plant. Being as sugar is often the primary limiting factor to a fungal colony’s growth, the added sugar causes a population boom of beneficial soil fungus. When that sugar is consumed, the colony looks for a new source of sugars, hence colonizing the plant’s root zone more thoroughly. On top of that, the newly expanded colony is larger and has access to smaller areas of the soil than the plant’s own roots do. This leads to a consistently higher uptake of nutrients and water, better growth, and more resilient/stable tissues. I hope this helps explain everyone’s different opinion on “when” soil sugars are a benefit.
My opinion- Unless you are growing Ancient Methods, Natural Farming, or Organic, the added sugar is at best a waste, and at worst a draw to pests and disease.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

My opinion- Unless you are growing Ancient Methods, Natural Farming, or Organic, the added sugar is at best a waste, and at worst a draw to pests and disease.

I posted a link recently about what happens when you add molasses to your feed. Your microbe colonies go crazy and then die off, causing a bunch of other issues.

As for sweetners, its the sulfates that stimulate the plant's terpene mechanism. Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. They will do the same thing in veg as the commercial product sold for 10-20x more than a bag of epsom salts cost.

During flower, I'll use a potassium sulfate based formula like "Zen Products - Candy Man." It contains zero sugars but adds the potassium that's actively involved in finishing your plants and the sulfates to stimulate the terpenes.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Botanicare only contains - Epsom salt, ferrous sulfate and cane sugar.

Yes you can use it during veg. But it's way overpriced. Just add some cane sugar to your feed.
I've used the product. It now sits on my shelf ... unused. I didn't notice any difference between those grown with and those grown without.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Adding sugar to the soil boosts mycorrhizal activity and colonization. Sugar is one of the nutrients soil fungus cannot very readily make on its own. So beneficial fungi will partner with a plant’s roots to gain access to the sugar the plant produces via photosynthesis, while sharing water and a plethora of other nutrients. This makes the plant more resilient, disease/pest resistant, drought tolerant, and produce a better quality product.
Now, I have an educated informed guess as to why occasionally feeding the soil sugars helps the plant. Being as sugar is often the primary limiting factor to a fungal colony’s growth, the added sugar causes a population boom of beneficial soil fungus. When that sugar is consumed, the colony looks for a new source of sugars, hence colonizing the plant’s root zone more thoroughly. On top of that, the newly expanded colony is larger and has access to smaller areas of the soil than the plant’s own roots do. This leads to a consistently higher uptake of nutrients and water, better growth, and more resilient/stable tissues. I hope this helps explain everyone’s different opinion on “when” soil sugars are a benefit.
Plants make their own sugar through photosynthesis.

H

hawkman

Canna Sweetner (FOOP) $50.00 during veg I concern myself with the plant structrure (training, ect) in flower concentrate on buds (enhancers, ect)

R

ritoMox

You're talking about outside in the ground, right?

R

ritoMox

Would FFJ be considered a sweetener 🤔?
I'm thinking that sweeteners don't work that way. It's my understanding that FFJ KNF style using all of that sugar in the ferments is a soil acidifier.
Edit: But then again, it looks like FFJ would sweeten your buds✌️

This article makes me wonder if old school skunk bud didn't have a bit of real skunk mixed in the soil🤔🤣

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

I'm thinking that sweeteners don't work that way. It's my understanding that FFJ KNF style using all of that sugar in the ferments is a soil acidifier.
Edit: But then again, it looks like FFJ would sweeten your buds✌️

This article makes me wonder if old school skunk bud didn't have a bit of real skunk mixed in the soil🤔🤣
That article is out of a magazine. How do they make money? Selling magazines and companies purchasing add space. There is no real science to that article. Bunch of Dick heads just trying to take your money

R

ritoMox

That article is out of a magazine. How do they make money? Selling magazines and companies purchasing add space. There is no real science to that article. Bunch of Dick heads just trying to take your money
Not following your logic, bud. Novaracer was asking if Fermented Fruit Juice would be considered as a sweetener. My sentiment on sweeteners is inline with what Buzzzz said above in post #4. What say you? Yes, I agree that the industry is full of people trying to swindle a buck. An example of capitalism at its finest.✌️

Anthem

Anthem

Not following your logic, bud. Novaracer was asking if Fermented Fruit Juice would be considered as a sweetener. My sentiment on sweeteners is inline with what Buzzzz said above in post #4. What say you? Yes, I agree that the industry is full of people trying to swindle a buck. An example of capitalism at its finest.✌️
I would assume anyone asking about FFJ and KNF would at least realize KNF stands for Korean Natural Farming. So while FFJ has its place in the recipe for KNF. KNF in and of itself all about using natural ingredients to grow.
The bases of the thread was not about the topic you are speaking of. Do sweeteners do something? Yes but not what the nutrient companies would like you to think. Just another case of Cannabis Nutrient Companies mis leading people to sell more products.

R

ritoMox

Well yeah, it's true that the thread isn't about adding real skunks to soil🤣 I'm pretty sure that nutes aren't the only thing that cannabis companies mislead folks on. I still wouldn't be using all of that KNF sugar regardless of what it would do. ✌️

Anthem

Anthem

Well yeah, it's true that the thread isn't about adding real skunks to soil🤣 I'm pretty sure that nutes aren't the only thing that cannabis companies mislead folks on. I still wouldn't be using all of that KNF sugar regardless of what it would do. ✌️
Never mentioned anything about the skunk comment just that nutrient companies are misleading in their comment about what does what to the plants. If you and sugars to a healthy soil full of good microbes you will see a burst of new growth from the plant but the sugars are not what is doing the work. Adding the sugar to the soil feeds the microbes colony which in turn exchange’s carbs from the plant for nutrients the microbes get for the plant.
KNF if done correctly can have amazing results. Myself I have only read and watched about it but the results speak for themselves.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Sulfates are the real sweeteners, not sugars or fermented sugars. Stuff like magnesium sulfate or potassium sulfate are what a grower is looking for.

However, there's no buds to sweeten during veg. So with that said, there's no reason to chase after high dollar products at all.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I don't know about skunk but I have had great luck with garbage fish(carp,suckers,dogfish) from the lake less than 1 mile from my house🤣 I personally started my knf journey this spring. I started with fpj then ffj and LAB. Now I just finished my IMO collection box. I have been gardening for about 30years easy and I have never had such ridiculous results 🙃 a straight up game changer for sure.

R

ritoMox

I don't know about skunk but I have had great luck with garbage fish(carp,suckers,dogfish) from the lake less than 1 mile from my house🤣 I personally started my knf journey this spring. I started with fpj then ffj and LAB. Now I just finished my IMO collection box. I have been gardening for about 30years easy and I have never had such ridiculous results 🙃 a straight up game changer for sure.
Are you growing in the ground or in pots? I had a friend that would toss roadkill deer in a hole, cover it and grow out of it. Weed was fire when I tried it. Knowing that, the idea of someone tossing skunks in a hole doesn't sound to far fetched. However, would the skunks imbue their stank into the weed? I know true skunk weed (the skunk weed that actually smells like a skunk) is genetic, but if someone were trying to make it even more skunky, seems that if the skunk stank could imbue the weed with more stank without ill effects, that would have been something that someone would have tried. I'm more of an outsideofhtebox kind of person, so please don't mind my need to share my insanity with the world.😁✌️

Latest posts

Top Bottom