Does growing next to different plants increase terpene production?

• Thread starter socks4free
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
socks4free

socks4free

Hey guys so I've seen a couple videos recently where people are talking about their plants and had hinted that growing next to different types of plants can help increase the amount of different terpenes your plant produces.

I was wondering if this was true? The science behind it seems to make sense if the roots are Intermingled but has anyone else heard of this? Is there any available data to back this up?

GoldenDragondnw

GoldenDragondnw

Supporter
Hey guys so I've seen a couple videos recently where people are talking about their plants and had hinted that growing next to different types of plants can help increase the amount of different terpenes your plant produces.

I was wondering if this was true? The science behind it seems to make sense if the roots are Intermingled but has anyone else heard of this? Is there any available data to back this up?
Idk I grow different strains next to each other. Haven't grown where their roots entertwin3d tho this sounds like a good experiment to try.

socks4free

socks4free

Idk I grow different strains next to each other. Haven't grown where their roots entertwin3d tho this sounds like a good experiment to try.
Well in the video I just saw the other day the guy was actually talking about a different species of plant all together like a mint plant for example. I hadn't even considered another weed plant that's interesting too.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I think they're talking about plants in the same bed of soil. Because of the root exudates for other plants could influence a shift in terps. I companion plant all the time but for other reasons.
20230716 091902

socks4free

socks4free

I think they're talking about plants in the same bed of soil. Because of the root exudates for other plants could influence a shift in terps. I companion plant all the time but for other reasons. View attachment 2010761
Yes this is what I was talking about, I was hoping to find someone who had done this or who could point me in the dirrection of a study on it. It would definitely be interesting to read/listen to.

I haven't purposely planted any companion plants but I do let the natural clovers stay in my garden as I've read they help increase available nitrogen.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Yes this is what I was talking about, I was hoping to find someone who had done this or who could point me in the dirrection of a study on it. It would definitely be interesting to read/listen to.

I haven't purposely planted any companion plants but I do let the natural clovers stay in my garden as I've read they help increase available nitrogen.
I listened to a guest on future cannabis project podcast on YouTube honestly. This is my 2nd season doing this. In my bed I parsley lemon grass dill and lavender.

socks4free

socks4free

So after some more research on companion plants I am gonna plant some alfalfa in my garden when the seeds I just ordered get here in a day or two as It can be planted this late, helps add nutrients to the soil, and is Perennial. Then for next year I'm planning on growing some chamomile, lavender, and adding a 2nd type of clover.

Will be interesting to see if there is any increase in quality from this year to next. I recently took some clippings from 3 of my current plants and plan on taking some from one more of my plants so next year I'll have 4 of the same plants as this year and so as long as there isn't any major issues in either of these grows I should get a rough estimate of how well this actually works.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Look up cover crops for cannabis/hemp/marijuana

There are tons of beneficial and detrimental plants that can be used as cover crops (companion plants) for cannabis. For example, planting clover with your cannabis will help increase available nitrogen in your soil. Other plants like Cilantro (or coriander- same thing) can make your soil too acidic and harm your plants. So, do some research on cover crops and you'll be able to figure out what you want for what you want to achieve. Unfortunately I don't have time to go into explicit details on all the different plants you could use but a quick google search on the topic should point you in the right direction.

socks4free

socks4free

Look up cover crops for cannabis/hemp/marijuana

There are tons of beneficial and detrimental plants that can be used as cover crops (companion plants) for cannabis. For example, planting clover with your cannabis will help increase available nitrogen in your soil. Other plants like Cilantro (or coriander- same thing) can make your soil too acidic and harm your plants. So, do some research on cover crops and you'll be able to figure out what you want for what you want to achieve. Unfortunately I don't have time to go into explicit details on all the different plants you could use but a quick google search on the topic should point you in the right direction.
Thank you, I just read about a bunch of different cover crops and companion plants for weed this morning actually.

I ordered some alfalfa seeds and Im gonna be ordering some other Seeds shortly but I already have white clover growing in my garden naturally!

H

hawkman

NO - terpene's are made by each flower (plant)r they don't "rub" off so to say

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Thank you, I just read about a bunch of different cover crops and companion plants for weed this morning actually.

I ordered some alfalfa seeds and Im gonna be ordering some other Seeds shortly but I already have white clover growing in my garden naturally!
While your researching look into Korean natural farming or jadam. I can honestly say I see a massive difference in growth and terps. I have a zucchini and sweet pumpkin FPJ that always delivers the stank 😋

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

It's not about transferring terps it's about the what the companion plants release back into the soil for your plant can use to create more/different terps. This can be very beneficial for plant health also.

socks4free

socks4free

From what I've read this morning certain plants actually can increase terpene production. An example they give is chamomile that can make the plants increase oil production in effect increasing the amount of terpenes in the bud.

Edit: yarrow is another plant that is supposed to increase oil production in cannabis plants when grown together.

socks4free

socks4free

While your researching look into Korean natural farming or jadam. I can honestly say I see a massive difference in growth and terps. I have a zucchini and sweet pumpkin FPJ that always delivers the stank 😋
I add fox farms bush Doctor microbe brew to my water once every week or two from seedlings. It has 40 or 50 different types of mycos and other beneficial microbes. Here's the back label off the bottle.

I definitely saw a big improvement all around in my plants health after I started using the stuff last year and am very happy with the results!

81QPPOthfsL AC SL1500
Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I add fox farms bush Doctor microbe brew to my water once every week or two from seedlings. It has 40 or 50 different types of mycos and other beneficial microbes. Here's the back label off the bottle.

I definitely saw a big improvement all around in my plants health after I started using the stuff last year and am very happy with the results!
That look good I make my own super labs.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Don’t plant anything that will serve as a bridge for pests. Personally, I don’t want any other plants anywhere near my pot plants. If I’ve done my job with the soil, they are good. I don’t like getting too cute! But that’s just me!

Last edited:
socks4free

socks4free

Don’t plant anything that will serve as a bridge for pests. Personally, I don’t want any other plants anywhere near my pot plants. If I’ve done my job with the soil, they are good. I don’t like getting too cute! But that’s just me!
There's not much options I have not to have pests near my plants, im out in The woods not out in the open so I'm not worried about adding a couple different types of plants that are beneficial to my plants. Infact I'm looking at a couple different plants as possible additions because they attract predators that will eat pests on my plants.

I regularly find spiders and ladybugs(and other predators) on My plants, I Leave them to do their thing while killing any kinda pests I see which seems to keep any pests that may get on my plants from getting out of control. I do also spray Dr zymes to prevent wpm which also kills a bunch of pests too so it's just not a worry for me in my current situation.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
There's not much options I have not to have pests near my plants, im out in The woods not out in the open so I'm not worried about adding a couple different types of plants that are beneficial to my plants. Infact I'm looking at a couple different plants as possible additions because they attract predators that will eat pests on my plants.

I regularly find spiders and ladybugs(and other predators) on My plants, I Leave them to do their thing while killing any kinda pests I see which seems to keep any pests that may get on my plants from getting out of control. I do also spray Dr zymes to prevent wpm which also kills a bunch of pests too so it's just not a worry for me in my current situation.
There are a lot of plants and flowers that repel insects. Lavender and Chrysanthemums are great additions to any garden to repel pests. There are different plants that repel different pests, as well. Dill helps keep spider mites and aphids away. Lemongrass repels mosquitos, etc. etc.

Top Bottom