Dr. Bruce Bugbee and light leaks discussion

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blastfact

Blastfact

Look I brought a counter point of a sort into @PhoenixFlower thread so maybe they would not have to stress so much about total blackout. Total blackout is just not needed. A few light leaks here and there, a stray led does not in the big picture stress a plant out or make for a herm. Or even as much light as a cell phone screen can put out from time to time. While cannabis is sensitive to night light and needs to be respected. It's clearly not the be all end all many of us once thought,,,,, myself included. With years of outdoor growing in the clandestine world it always baffled me why bright moon light in a otherwise very dark environment. Or lighting from a all night thunder storm. Or a phenomena we get hear called heat lighting that happens on a clear hot night when there's been a solar storm. And other sorts of light pollution never messed with the plants. BUT I'm to worry about light leaks in my enclosures, closets, tents, rooms when it comes to a indoor grow and make a big deal out of it? Something is not adding up. The good Dr. video puts some perspective on the subject. I had a cousin and some other good friends move to Alaska. They had outdoor grows going and never had a herm issue. The plants never got to be monsters like what could be grown in there home states of Ok./Ar. but very viable outdoor where the sun never completely goes away during the short grow season. The Dr. brings up light color, NLI and temp. And the need for more study.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Look I brought a counter point of a sort into @PhoenixFlower thread so maybe they would not have to stress so much about total blackout. Total blackout is just not needed. A few light leaks here and there, a stray led does not in the big picture stress a plant out or make for a herm. Or even as much light as a cell phone screen can put out from time to time. While cannabis is sensitive to night light and needs to be respected. It's clearly not the be all end all many of us once thought,,,,, myself included. With years of outdoor growing in the clandestine world it always baffled me why bright moon light in a otherwise very dark environment. Or lighting from a all night thunder storm. Or a phenomena we get hear called heat lighting that happens on a clear hot night when there's been a solar storm. And other sorts of light pollution never messed with the plants. BUT I'm to worry about light leaks in my enclosures, closets, tents, rooms when it comes to a indoor grow and make a big deal out of it? Something is not adding up. The good Dr. video puts some perspective on the subject. I had a cousin and some other good friends move to Alaska. They had outdoor grows going and never had a herm issue. The plants never got to be monsters like what could be grown in there home states of Ok./Ar. but very viable outdoor where the sun never completely goes away during the short grow season. The Dr. brings up light color, NLI and temp. And the need for more study.
As a new grower, I think it's best to be safer than sorry, and because of that, I'll keep the tinfoil/cardboard concoction on my window as wll as the blackout blinds and will NOT turn my room light on at any time after 8pm.

I've spent lots keeping this 300watt growlight on for 18hours/day for the past 3mos., as well as the effort exerted to water my plants and administer nutrients. I do not want all of that effort and money spent into resources to go to waste.

Blastfact

Blastfact

As a new grower, I think it's best to be safer than sorry, and because of that, I'll keep the tinfoil/cardboard concoction on my window as wll as the blackout blinds and will NOT turn my room light on at any time after 8pm.

I've spent lots keeping this 300watt growlight on for 18hours/day for the past 3mos., as well as the effort exerted to water my plants and administer nutrients. I do not want all of that effort and money spent into resources to go to waste.
Right on!!!!!!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I read somewhere where it has to do with Lux. Moonlight is like 5 or 10 lux at most. Sunlight is up into the thousands. There is a certain lux threshold when the plants start responding to it. Just my two cents.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

A few light leaks here and there, a stray led does not in the big picture stress a plant out or make for a herm.
I agree. We need to consider that there is more involved than a light leakage. There are also factors such as the general health of the plants, their genetics and the species' inherent ability to tolerate stress and adapt. That's not to say we should ignore light leakage. It's just an expression of my belief that these plants are adaptable and somewhat stress-resistant when they're in good health.

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

From Apogee’s website regarding their Light Pollution Sensor:

“Many plants are affected by interruptions in dark periods even by extremely dim light (less than 0.05 micromole per m2 per second).

Blastfact

Blastfact

From Apogee’s website regarding their Light Pollution Sensor:

“Many plants are affected by interruptions in dark periods even by extremely dim light (less than 0.05 micromole per m2 per second).
Watch the video to get perspctive concerning that number....

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

Watch the video to get perspctive concerning that number....
“Different sources indicate the range of minimum photon flux densities (PFDs) that can inhibit photoperiodic responses in various short-day crops (including cannabis) is from about 5 to 1 μmol∙m-2∙s-1. In a study that investigated stray light in the range of 20 to 0.02 μmol∙m-2∙s-1, we found that PFDs ≤ 0.1 μmol∙m-2∙s-1 (16-h photoperiod) could invoke measurable delays in the normal transition and development cannabis flowers under a 12-h photoperiod. Therefore, our threshold stray light level for the upcoming cannabis photoperiod trials was set at half this, ≤ 0.05 μmol∙m-2∙s-1.

Blastfact

Blastfact

“Different sources indicate the range of minimum photon flux densities (PFDs) that can inhibit photoperiodic responses in various short-day crops (including cannabis) is from about 5 to 1 μmol∙m-2∙s-1. In a study that investigated stray light in the range of 20 to 0.02 μmol∙m-2∙s-1, we found that PFDs ≤ 0.1 μmol∙m-2∙s-1 (16-h photoperiod) could invoke measurable delays in the normal transition and development cannabis flowers under a 12-h photoperiod. Therefore, our threshold stray light level for the upcoming cannabis photoperiod trials was set at half this, ≤ 0.05 μmol∙m-2∙s-1.
Have you watched the video made by the man that ownes the company/made the meter used in that study you reference for perspective?

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

Have you watched the video made by the man that ownes the company/made the meter used in that study you reference for perspective?

Yes.

His study found that Cannabis could safely handle light pollution levels of 10 nmols or .01 umols before it would affect growth.

Last edited:
BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

I feel like you're seeing something that is going over my head.... Would you please explain?

In the video, what I am hearing, is that light pollution levels of .01 umols and below are safe, while light pollution levels above .01 umols begins to slow/affect growth in cannabis.

Am I misunderstanding this?

Last edited:
I

IamN2pot

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

and how was I able to read the headlines on a newspaper in the greenhouse on a full moon???? We were off grid with power at a premium, so no outside porch lights were on. Looking back on it in view of this new 'light' from Dr. B. the only thing I can come up with is light pollution coming from inside the house, through the windows, and into the greenhouse? I mean there ain't alot of differance between 2 micro umols (or what ever they are, I'll get it right) and 4, but as shown in the video, enough to begin to read with. I'm certainly not going to sit here and try to argue with a micro photon (or what ever it's called) light measuring instrument.
But it does beg the question, how much and where to get one to measure the light levels. Those are his parting words of advice.

oh and @PipeCarver, did I remember to say THANK YOU! Today, as my kid would say, I got some knowledge dropped on me today. ☮️ 😉 👍 🧓 N2

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

and how was I able to read the headlines on a newspaper in the greenhouse on a full moon???? We were off grid with power at a premium, so no outside porch lights were on. Looking back on it in view of this new 'light' from Dr. B. the only thing I can come up with is light pollution coming from inside the house, through the windows, and into the greenhouse? I mean there ain't alot of differance between 2 micro umols (or what ever they are, I'll get it right) and 4, but as shown in the video, enough to begin to read with. I'm certainly not going to sit here and try to argue with a micro photon (or what ever it's called) light measuring instrument.
But it does beg the question, how much and where to get one to measure the light levels. Those are his parting words of advice.

oh and @PipeCarver, did I remember to say THANK YOU! Today, as my kid would say, I got some knowledge dropped on me today. ☮️ 😉 👍 🧓 N2

Measurements were in nano- & micro- moles,
1 umol (micro) = 1,000 nmol (nano).

I think you were referring to nanomols in your statement.

I

IamN2pot

Measurements were in nano- & micro- moles,
1 umol (micro) = 1,000 nmol (nano).

I think you were referring to nanomols in your statement.
Yes, and thank you for the quick correction. So Amazon???? and something that measures nanomols. 👍

Blastfact

Blastfact

I feel like you're seeing something that is going over my head.... Would you please explain?

In the video, what I am hearing, is that light pollution levels of .01 umols and below are safe, while light pollution levels above .01 umols begins to slow/affect growth in cannabis.

Am I misunderstanding this?
10 nmols is the threshold. Then look at the levels of light below that as he demonstrates. Even with the cell phone screen and a small power led on there is not enough light to effect the plants. So it's more than safe to say a light leak in a tent or light coming under or around a closet grow door is not harmful as long as you can't read by it in basic terms. The idea we need and must have blackout is not true. He goes on to mention color of light in basic terms, NLI and temperature. And while I'm grateful to have a MQ-610 for reading my PPFD no way I'm going to go buy a light pollution meter or honestly worry about little light leaks.

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

10 nmols is the threshold. Then look at the levels of light below that as he demonstrates. Even with the cell phone screen and a small power led on there is not enough light to effect the plants. So it's more than safe to say a light leak in a tent or light coming under or around a closet grow door is not harmful as long as you can't read by it in basic terms. The idea we need and must have blackout is not true. He goes on to mention color of light in basic terms, NLI and temperature. And while I'm grateful to have a MQ-610 for reading my PPFD no way I'm going to go buy a light pollution meter or honestly worry about little light leaks.

Great explanation. Thank you, sir.

Top Bottom