Dr. Bruce Bugbee and light leaks discussion

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

10 nmols is the threshold. Then look at the levels of light below that as he demonstrates. Even with the cell phone screen and a small power led on there is not enough light to effect the plants. So it's more than safe to say a light leak in a tent or light coming under or around a closet grow door is not harmful as long as you can't read by it in basic terms. The idea we need and must have blackout is not true. He goes on to mention color of light in basic terms, NLI and temperature. And while I'm grateful to have a MQ-610 for reading my PPFD no way I'm going to go buy a light pollution meter or honestly worry about little light leaks.
I have a MQ 610 also. I bought an Apogee SQ-420X ($234) and compared the two units against each other.

The Apogee SQ-420X with the “Immersion Setting” turned on, I was getting almost the exact same readings as my MQ-610 under several different LED lights with different color spectrums. I was really shocked as the results considering the upfront cost of the SQ-420X at $234 vs. the MQ-610 at $568.

Certainly take my findings with a grain of salt, but I was very impressed. I posted a thread about it in the LED lights section.

Wolfe

Wolfe

I wonder the difference between light interruptions between indoor and outdoor spaces. Outdoors obviously has the moon which can get pretty bright when it’s at its peak. However, a porch light flipping off or on periodically and a street light perhaps. I wonder the actual intensity required to trigger disruptions in cannabis. Also the variations in cultivars and which may be more susceptible to those changes than others. With my own experience over a 12 year period of growing outside. I’ve noticed intensity of light from sources such as neighbors turning their lights on periodically, leaving on for hours, and some street light pollution has not had enough of an effect to cause my plants to stress enough that they would produce seeds. Without a light meter of some kind and documentation there is no real way for me to quantify that information. I can base only off experience. My experience with indoor in growing since 1999. I’ve seen indoors seems to be much more sensitive to light pollution. Again I had no way to quantify that amount which may have triggered stress. Only a potential cultivar that could have been more susceptible to being affected by stress. In turn from my perspective and experience it seems cannabis is more susceptible to changes in light from possibly a more controlled environment. There’s no way for me to measure this though without proper documentation and light measuring devices along with other genetic and environmental factors being taken into account. Glad there are people studying these effects like Bruce Bugbee.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

YESSS!!! My two cents, i am a outdoor cannabis grower and in the pursuit of the cannabis trees i have seen a bunch of different things; Starting a month or more early and then transferring them to the outdoor climate. First season running all my plants shocked into flower went from 18/6 to natural, super sucked, re veg didnt really happen and lost a huge garden. Second go at this i ran lights but took advice from "knowledgeable" growers and tapered down to 13ish and then went outside. SHOCKED into flower!!! Bunch of crap got out the patio lights a set em' straight but lost time to re veg. Third time around ran lights the entire time and had no issues, also i might mention that this garden was on the side of a highway with the headlights hitting it from about 60ft away. Season after that tapered down the lights, hung up a few solar light and kept all the plants out of flower EXCEPT the clones. They shocked into flower in even under supp lighting didn't come out. As a seed grower i havent had any experience with clones, always been taught to grow seed plants to grow monsters. This season i had a road with headlights not so often and three well light up porches with direct line of sight to the garden no herrming at all. Then i take clones inside from my herm free outdoor garden and with some blinking lights and pin pricks the whole garden hermmed bad inside..

SO! Seeds vs clones, totally makes a difference! Clones are less stable and more apt to shock and refuse to come out. Also more likely to herm imo

Top Bottom