Dropped leaves over and over again

• Thread starter iveweed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

iveweed

Feminized plant, 40d old. It gets 16h light with a HPS light, 450+ ppfd at the very top. The medium is always moist but since it's compacted I think roots can absorb water. I water with 0,5L water ph 6 every day(the water drops at the base of the fabric pot now, I squeeze the medium every day to avoid compaction). After watering, leaves rise up for 10/12h, afterwards dropping leaves start over. Once a week I give a bit of fertilizer with nitrogen in.
Average temperature 28 degrees and 50%+ humidity.
Some advice? Do I need transplant,?

Dropped leaves over and over again
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Feminized plant, 40d old. It gets 16h light with a HPS light, 450+ ppfd at the very top. The medium is always moist but since it's compacted I think roots can absorb water. I water with 0,5L water ph 6 every day(the water drops at the base of the fabric pot now, I squeeze the medium every day to avoid compaction). After watering, leaves rise up for 10/12h, afterwards dropping leaves start over. Once a week I give a bit of fertilizer with nitrogen in.
Average temperature 28 degrees and 50%+ humidity.
Some advice? Do I need transplant,?
your not watering properly and quit squeezing the bag..
what size bag is that?
what and how much nutrients do you feed?.

I

iveweed

your not watering properly and quit squeezing the bag..
what size bag is that?
what and how much nutrients do you feed?.
I have squeezed the pot in order to manage to reduce density, it was like a block I can't even make holes with a stick before squeezing. Pot is 20L if I am not wrong.
I feed very little.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

You only have a 1/2 a bag of potting mix in the bag, Why?
What potting medium is in the bag? Best explanation you can please.

You say you give the plant some nitrogen fertilizer once in a while?
What fertilizer in how much water? How often?

I

iveweed

1 pic medium
2/3 pic fertilizer.
I give 15 ml fertilizer once a week.
It can appear 1/2 but it doesn't, it's more 3/4.

IMG 20231019 223740
IMG 20231019 210838
IMG 20231019 210842
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hello again.
How long have these plants been in this soil ? It's a preloaded soil meant to sustain the plant for quite some time.
It's N-P-K = 14-16-18. Quite high in Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium.
The reason I'm asking is. If you take a look at the tips of the leaves in the first picture you posted. A lot of the leaf tips are curled under. This is a sign of very high soil nitrogen content and the plant is not happy about it.

The liquid fertilizer 8-3-7
1 L of this stuff contains 80,000 PPM N
30,000 PPM P
70,000 ppm K
If you put 5ml = 1 teaspoon in 1 liter of water you dilute it 200 X
5ml X 200 = 1 Liter

400 PPM Nitrogen 400 PPM is at least double the nitrogen content you should be feeding!
150 PPM Phosphorus
350 PPM Potassium

So Dilute it. 1 teaspoon - 5ml in 2 liters water.
200 PPM Nitrogen 200PPM Nitrogen is still just a little on the high side. It's ok for a plant twice this size.
75 PPM Phosphorus
175 PPM Potassium

Lets look at 1 Teaspoon = 5ML in 3 Liters water.
133 PPM Nitrogen - I'd say that this would be the correct dilution for this plant.
50 PPM Phosphorus
116 PPM Potassium

***** You must first take into consideration that the plant is in a preloaded soil.
Only after the plant has used up the nutrients in the soil, is it safe to use the liquid fertilizer dilutions suggested above!

Basically it's likely sitting in hot soil.
Stop feeding. Do a nitrogen content in the soil test and see where it's at.
When the plant has used up the available Nitrogen in the soil pick up feeding.
5 ML in 3 Liters water threw Veg.

I

iveweed

Hello again.

It's N-P-K = 14-16-18. Quite high in Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium.
The reason I'm asking is. If you take a look at the tips of the leaves in the first picture you posted. A lot of the leaf tips are curled under. This is a sign of very high soil nitrogen content and the plant is not happy about it.

The liquid fertilizer 8-3-7
1 L of this stuff contains 80,000 PPM N
30,000 PPM P
70,000 ppm K
If you put 5ml = 1 teaspoon in 1 liter of water you dilute it 200 X
5ml X 200 = 1 Liter

400 PPM Nitrogen 400 PPM is at least double the nitrogen content you should be feeding!
150 PPM Phosphorus
350 PPM Potassium

So Dilute it. 1 teaspoon - 5ml in 2 liters water.
200 PPM Nitrogen 200PPM Nitrogen is still just a little on the high side. It's ok for a plant twice this size.
75 PPM Phosphorus
175 PPM Potassium

Lets look at 1 Teaspoon = 5ML in 3 Liters water.
133 PPM Nitrogen - I'd say that this would be the correct dilution for this plant.
50 PPM Phosphorus
116 PPM Potassium

***** You must first take into consideration that the plant is in a preloaded soil.
Only after the plant has used up the nutrients in the soil, is it safe to use the liquid fertilizer dilutions suggested above!

Basically it's likely sitting in hot soil.
Stop feeding. Do a nitrogen content in the soil test and see where it's at.
When the plant has used up the available Nitrogen in the soil pick up feeding.
5 ML in 3 Liters water threw Veg.
I really appreciated what you have said, medium is 50+ days old and the producer has said that no need to fertilize until 30d old. I want move the pickle on another point tho, my medium tends to cemented, it's always wet, after about a day leaves just drop down, as soon as I water(only water, no fertilizer added)leaves rise up, I don't think that this is caused to over feeding. What's your opinion about this event?

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Mills light w perlite looks like a nice all around potting mix.
As far as fertilizer goes all I can do is crunch numbers and pass them along. What you do or don't is up to you.

It sounds like your running the plants a little on the dry side so the leaves are wilting. When you water an hour later everybody is standing up pretty.
How often do you water and how much are you giving this plant?

I have to say that any nutrients that where in the potting mix are long used up.
Consider feeding 8-3-7 Fertilizer 5ml in 3 liters water. and see how she does.

When she is a little larger switch to 5ml in 2 L water. I posted values above.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I have squeezed the pot in order to manage to reduce density, it was like a block I can't even make holes with a stick before squeezing. Pot is 20L if I am not wrong.
I feed very little.
Dude that solid feeling is your roots, don't mess with them. Definitely never do that again ever please no more squeezing, for the sake of your rhizosphere. But that being said, best of luck! 👍

I

iveweed

Mills light w perlite looks like a nice all around potting mix.
As far as fertilizer goes all I can do is crunch numbers and pass them along. What you do or don't is up to you.

It sounds like your running the plants a little on the dry side so the leaves are wilting. When you water an hour later everybody is standing up pretty.
How often do you water and how much are you giving this plant?

I have to say that any nutrients that where in the potting mix are long used up.
Consider feeding 8-3-7 Fertilizer 5ml in 3 liters water. and see how she does.

When she is a little larger switch to 5ml in 2 L water. I posted values above.
I water(only water )her 1l per day

H

hawkman

to add - had a issue like you and it was over-watering - didn't water it for 5-6 days Also "root rot" causes this. Then adjust your water schedule to 2-3x's a week your enviromentt is a big factor when it comes to watering

I

iveweed

to add - had a issue like you and it was over-watering - didn't water it for 5-6 days Also "root rot" causes this. Then adjust your water schedule to 2-3x's a week your enviromentt is a big factor when it comes to watering
If I don't water once a day leaves drop immediately worse tham the pic I sent

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
If I don't water once a day leaves drop immediately worse tham the pic I sent
if your watering correctly a 20 litre bag will take 3000-4000 ml of water to saturate fully.. every 2-4 days depending..
the plant that old without significant branching out is because of improper watering..

B

Bdubs

I’ll throw something out there.
You may have a very expressive plant. If she droops she is telling you she is hungry. And when you feed she perks up, she likes it. Sometimes you run into expressive plants that droop when they are hungry. It may be one day or 3 days. Cloth bag? You’re losing moisture through the bag. Especially if you have good airflow, the soil is prematurely drying out. Or she is just telling you when to feed her.
I would not make any major changes and just feed her when she droops. Keep consistent and watch how often she droops. I’ve had a plant that expressed herself in that way and she was heavy Sativa dominant strain. She was just hungry every 2 days.
If you are feeding with no runoff, it makes sense that she is hungry every 2-3 days. (Nothing wrong with feeding exact and no runoff)
I wouldn’t try to manipulate the plant for her to act as you want but to let her tell you what she is wanting. If no other problems, I’d just feed her as I have and when she droops during the light hours and doesn’t perk up, she is probably just a little dry.

B

Bdubs

Someone mentioned soil level in the pots. It could be that they are drying out fast or she needs feed so often because she is literally drinking it as it comes thinking it won’t get fed again or she has full root coverage already.

Dry spots? Maybe she needs a full runout feed and then she needs that soil moist all the time and not allowed to dry out.

I always suggest to people in grow bags to line the outside circumference with top soil as it retains moisture and will help prevent the inner soil from drying out.

Bigger is always better when we think root zone availability. If she is root locked, she is going to focus feeding whatever and whenever it comes, and taking it fast.

Basically she is just hungry and needs more availability for a longer feed time. But in this specific situation, I think it’s too small of a root space availability.

The 2-3 days for the girl I was speaking of consumed the entire 20 gallon bag, once she reached flower week 5, she drooped all the time and I took my feed from once every 4 days to once every 2 days and she was fine. Always a slight droop if I checked her early lights on, but she would perk up quickly, which told me she wasn’t hungry. No runoff feed on this example. So I boiled her down to 2 days she was getting fed.

I

iveweed

Someone mentioned soil level in the pots. It could be that they are drying out fast or she needs feed so often because she is literally drinking it as it comes thinking it won’t get fed again or she has full root coverage already.

Dry spots? Maybe she needs a full runout feed and then she needs that soil moist all the time and not allowed to dry out.

I always suggest to people in grow bags to line the outside circumference with top soil as it retains moisture and will help prevent the inner soil from drying out.

Bigger is always better when we think root zone availability. If she is root locked, she is going to focus feeding whatever and whenever it comes, and taking it fast.

Basically she is just hungry and needs more availability for a longer feed time. But in this specific situation, I think it’s too small of a root space availability.

The 2-3 days for the girl I was speaking of consumed the entire 20 gallon bag, once she reached flower week 5, she drooped all the time and I took my feed from once every 4 days to once every 2 days and she was fine. Always a slight droop if I checked her early lights on, but she would perk up quickly, which told me she wasn’t hungry. No runoff feed on this example. So I boiled her down to 2 days she was getting fed.
So summing up: I need to add more soil until the edge of the pot, I need to feed her every time she needs it.
Is it right ?
She is so right now.
Lower leaves are getting yellow.
Is she too little thick?

IMG 20231022 WA0079

Latest posts

Top Bottom