dry sifting to hashish pressing

• Thread starter GNick55
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

it’s time for you to post some sifting/extracting videos!
https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/my-first-brick-hash-attempt.130369/

Not much more experience pressing a brick than yourself, bought my mold about a year ago along with some screens (used little) and a pollenmaster 500. First runs were an hour long in the tumbler which ive been playing/experimenting with. Always experimenting, last attempt a couple weeks ago i made 4 bricks of weighed material, 100 gm each. The 2 bricks on the left were made from material that was tumbled for 10 min. The 2 on the right were tumbled for 15 min. Notice the compromised thickness yet each brick weights100 gm.
20220310 204804

My mold is a HTP 4 ton, they also make a 8 ton and 10 ton model. Imo heat and pressure are both whats needed.

Maxwax

Maxwax

Is it legal to marry a pound of Hash?

Cuz I would.

Just sayin..

Think about it. It's the perfect spouse. Doesnt cost too much, talk too much, and isn't a huge bummer and waste of time. Plus you wont be able to look back on your mistake because you probably wont remember them. lol

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
some more unknown but different resin, i did two presses so far with the resin as is with a not so hot press first and a more hot press with the second, even though it turned out fine i feel there’s just a bit too much contaminate still in it, thinking i may clean some up for hand pressing, we’ll see..
AEB8A24B 0D3B 446B BFF9 2F67CC84F77C

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I really cant be impressed more than I am. Nice work and tutorials G. Im so looking forward to even getting a gram or two of decent hash from my first grow. I havent smoked hash in 40 years.
Here in Phoenix I've finally found a dispensary that stocks it. They make it as a side product from their grows, and they don't even list it on the menu. Have to know and ask for it. And only $20 a gram. Best thing to burn in a pipe.

Maxwax

Maxwax

Here in Phoenix I've finally found a dispensary that stocks it. They make it as a side product from their grows, and they don't even list it on the menu. Have to know and ask for it. And only $20 a gram. Best thing to burn in a pipe.
I wonder why its not a line item with the tons of trim available. It would sell like crazy. Our dispensaries are pretty corporate so asking for some behind the scenes action would prove fruitless. The security guard that looks straight outta Dog the Bounty Hunter is hilarious though. Looks like hes on the Swat team....lol

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I wonder why its not a line item with the tons of trim available. It would sell like crazy. Our dispensaries are pretty corporate so asking for some behind the scenes action would prove fruitless. The security guard that looks straight outta Dog the Bounty Hunter is hilarious though. Looks like hes on the Swat team....lol
I'm guessing you might be older, like me? The problem with hash is that the younger generation has never seen or tried it. My experience with it goes back to 1974 and the hash imported by The Brotherhood of Eternal Love. The other day I was asking about hash in that dispensary, and a young lady next to me (about 21-22) goes 'Ew, that looks awful! Why would you want to smoke that?'

Sigh.

In that dispensary, there are only two of the (several) budtenders who even know if they have any in stock and where it is. I'm pretty sure the same budtender said he was proud of it, and that he had pressed it from their last grow. Their growhouse is right across the parking lot too.

When I try to look for hash on Leafly, there really isn't a category for it, so you end up with anything that says hash in the name.

I think I'm going to try dry sifting tonight. Been freezing some trim for a few days to prep it.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

here i’ll start this thread with how to and tips, though i’m always learning too, on dry sifting to pressing hash.
than after done,
all hashish methods and tips are welcome, bubble hash too!..
in these videos i’m working with the don biscotti resin, i remember it being a bit difficult resin so let’s see what i have to do for hashish..
the pink starburst worked like a charm with bubble wash, the pink starburst buds will be dry sifted also, hopefully this weekend to see what method is better for that kind.
I've looked over many of the videos, but I'm not sure some basic information I need is in any of them. Perhaps I could ask here?
1. Did you prep your trim at all before getting ready to sift? That is, did you freeze it, chill it, dry it to some RH% or just pull a forgotten jar off a shelf?
2. What micron screen sizes were you using for the two screens in the first video? (I label mine with a big black marker to keep them straight).
3. Do you recommend shaking or vibrating (mechanically) the screens, or just to gently shove the weed around?
4. Your temps (in the 50's) are unbelievably low for someone who has lived the past 40 years in Phoenix. I'm going to be sifting in 76F, though fairly dry humidity level. I don't know that I have the room to do it, but would it do any good to try to chill the screens as well as the tools before sifting? What can I expect to happen differently from your videos simply because I'm at room temp?

Maxwax

Maxwax

I'm guessing you might be older, like me? The problem with hash is that the younger generation has never seen or tried it. My experience with it goes back to 1974 and the hash imported by The Brotherhood of Eternal Love. The other day I was asking about hash in that dispensary, and a young lady next to me (about 21-22) goes 'Ew, that looks awful! Why would you want to smoke that?'

Sigh.

In that dispensary, there are only two of the (several) budtenders who even know if they have any in stock and where it is. I'm pretty sure the same budtender said he was proud of it, and that he had pressed it from their last grow. Their growhouse is right across the parking lot too.

When I try to look for hash on Leafly, there really isn't a category for it, so you end up with anything that says hash in the name.

I think I'm going to try dry sifting tonight. Been freezing some trim for a few days to prep it.
Yeah Im 61. I wonder if its not licensed for sale for some specific legal reason but they sell dabs and wax and resin all GD day so I dont get it. Maybe the thc level of good hash is above the states limit? Like I said Im on my first four plant grow and hope to get enough to fill a few bowls at least.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Yeah Im 61. I wonder if its not licensed for sale for some specific legal reason but they sell dabs and wax and resin all GD day so I dont get it. Maybe the thc level of good hash is above the states limit? Like I said Im on my first four plant grow and hope to get enough to fill a few bowls at least.
No, it's labeled and packaged like their other in-house products. I think it is basically a personal grower/budtender project. He probably loves hash and had the opportunity to make some to have for himself. They limit me to 10 grams per purchase. The word must be out though as it sells out quickly. I also found some pressed kief for sale in Cave Creek - again you had to know about it and ask for it. Not as good though, and $22/gram.

Maxwax

Maxwax

No, it's labeled and packaged like their other in-house products. I think it is basically a personal grower/budtender project. He probably loves hash and had the opportunity to make some to have for himself. They limit me to 10 grams per purchase. The word must be out though as it sells out quickly. I also found some pressed kief for sale in Cave Creek - again you had to know about it and ask for it. Not as good though, and $22/gram.
You need my address homie? lol IDK who to ask so Im askin you! lol Na its cool but fuck I want some shish.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I've looked over many of the videos, but I'm not sure some basic information I need is in any of them. Perhaps I could ask here?
1. Did you prep your trim at all before getting ready to sift? That is, did you freeze it, chill it, dry it to some RH% or just pull a forgotten jar off a shelf?
2. What micron screen sizes were you using for the two screens in the first video? (I label mine with a big black marker to keep them straight).
3. Do you recommend shaking or vibrating (mechanically) the screens, or just to gently shove the weed around?
4. Your temps (in the 50's) are unbelievably low for someone who has lived the past 40 years in Phoenix. I'm going to be sifting in 76F, though fairly dry humidity level. I don't know that I have the room to do it, but would it do any good to try to chill the screens as well as the tools before sifting? What can I expect to happen differently from your videos simply because I'm at room temp?
ok, well every strain is different as with each other’s conditions, so i would think it’s best to break up the buds gently and than put in the freezer for a few days because of the warmth of your environment, along with your cards, etc..
you could pretty much follow the method i used on that last batch by only gently sifting a small amount at a time as it’ll warm up very quickly that’s when you’ll notice that the resin has a sticky texture or not, if so you’ll have to do quick sifts of not a long time for each pile. 2-3 mins each..
because that pile of weed i sifted was very sticky resin i had to clean my screens every 3 sifts with a spray bottle filled with isopropyl/ro water 50/50.. than rinsed in shower and put in front of my giant fan 7500 cfm dry in an hour or so..
you just have to get started to start to really learn, you can read and watch videos to get the idea but the know how will come with experience!
just do it, nothing is wrecked or junk if you fail it’s just in a different form..
by only doing a bit at a time with minimal sifting, there’s a good chance you can sift the weed again or make hash oil..

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

ok, well every strain is different as with each other’s conditions, so i would think it’s best to break up the buds gently and than put in the freezer for a few days because of the warmth of your environment, along with your cards, etc..
you could pretty much follow the method i used on that last batch by only gently sifting a small amount at a time as it’ll warm up very quickly that’s when you’ll notice that the resin has a sticky texture or not, if so you’ll have to do quick sifts of not a long time for each pile. 2-3 mins each..
because that pile of weed i sifted was very sticky resin i had to clean my screens every 3 sifts with a spray bottle filled with isopropyl/ro water 50/50.. than rinsed in shower and put in front of my giant fan 7500 cfm dry in an hour or so..
you just have to get started to start to really learn, you can read and watch videos to get the idea but the know how will come with experience!
just do it, nothing is wrecked or junk if you fail it’s just in a different form..
by only doing a bit at a time with minimal sifting, there’s a good chance you can sift the weed again or make hash oil..
I'm excited to try it this evening. Finally dawned on me that I could experiment with pretty small amounts so I don't have to commit all my stash to my first attempt. I'm planning on using the kitchen island next to the refrigerator so I can quickly pull tools and weed from the freezer. And I can open the fridge doors to send some cool air at me, though I doubt it would do any good.

I'm trying two methods of drying too. For the past three days I just left the top off three jars, one of which is on the couch. The other two are in the freezer. Generally speaking, things dry as well as freeze in the freezer. I'll see if theory matches reality soon. Hmm, maybe not tonight. The Battlebots championship is on tonight!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I'm excited to try it this evening. Finally dawned on me that I could experiment with pretty small amounts so I don't have to commit all my stash to my first attempt. I'm planning on using the kitchen island next to the refrigerator so I can quickly pull tools and weed from the freezer. And I can open the fridge doors to send some cool air at me, though I doubt it would do any good.

I'm trying two methods of drying too. For the past three days I just left the top off three jars, one of which is on the couch. The other two are in the freezer. Generally speaking, things dry as well as freeze in the freezer. I'll see if theory matches reality soon. Hmm, maybe not tonight. The Battlebots championship is on tonight!
so is/was the Masters golf!!
good luck keep us informed

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

you got 4 screens right?
if i remember correctly?
well if your not to rough for too long you should be able to press it uncleaned.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Sigh.

If only we were in Canada - pure green express- top dollar but available

Moshmen

Moshmen

you got 4 screens right?
if i remember correctly?
well if your not to rough for too long you should be able to press it uncleaned.
Im
Getting ready to buy larger screens - you only use 2 right ? With 73 microns or lines per inch ?

I been using a stack of 66 95120 microns - I think the 66 is just a tad small ? What you think

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Im
Getting ready to buy larger screens - you only use 2 right ? With 73 microns or lines per inch ?

I been using a stack of 66 95120 microns - I think the 66 is just a tad small ? What you think
no that’s fine..
i bought one more screen so i use three now..

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

you got 4 screens right?
if i remember correctly?
Yes, 4 screens, starting with 250 micron, then 165., then 150 and finally 75 microns. Not quite clear if I expect to end up with the best stuff on top of the 75 micro screen or below it. Have some unbleached parchment paper and plenty of DVD cases.

I am wondering what brush it is you use? My girlfriend will loan me a set of makeup brushes to use, but I wonder if that's a good idea.

Top Bottom