drying my harvest

• Thread starter Hondaguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hondaguy

Hey guys just about to chop my girls down but had some questions. This is my 4 or 5th grow indoors and every time i chop the plant dry to quick and uneven. my rh is anywhere from 30% to 45% and temps like 70 75. Ill hang the plants hole fans any everthing for like 1,2 days and pull the fans off and let sit for 2 more days an thats when the outside gets crispy but the inside is still green. so i cut the branches off and hang them on a line an thats where they loose there smell. i here people drying for 7,10 14 days how do you guys do it cuz im always affraid to cut them down an mess all my work up in the last step. was thinking of getting a humidifyer today to boost the rh to 55 60%. if any body could help me out i would appreciate it

sixstring

sixstring

a humidifyer would be a good idea to get that rh up around 60-65% but i cut and trim my plants right away and put the trimmed nugs into a rack.takes about 4 days at 40% and 75f for my stuff to be ready for jars.lots of dif ways to do this to suit your needs,slower is always better if you have the time.

sensicloud

sensicloud

When you get the rh into the 50-60 range you will notice such a big difference in your flowers. The loss of smell etc you're describing will improve greatly. Also, make sure you're not drying in direct light at all, it should be kinda dark at least or really dark in that area.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey guys just about to chop my girls down but had some questions. This is my 4 or 5th grow indoors and every time i chop the plant dry to quick and uneven. my rh is anywhere from 30% to 45% and temps like 70 75. Ill hang the plants hole fans any everthing for like 1,2 days and pull the fans off and let sit for 2 more days an thats when the outside gets crispy but the inside is still green. so i cut the branches off and hang them on a line an thats where they loose there smell. i here people drying for 7,10 14 days how do you guys do it cuz im always affraid to cut them down an mess all my work up in the last step. was thinking of getting a humidifyer today to boost the rh to 55 60%. if any body could help me out i would appreciate it
Stop pulling the fans off, they slow down drying. Get the humidity up to 50%. Your goal is dry in a week to ten days. Leave the plant alone for a month, just keep the RH in that 50% range, and temps as low as possible.

H

Hondaguy

ok got the humidifyer yesterday goin to chop tonight see how it goes thanks guys will let u know how they turned out

H

Hondaguy

Good morning guys just wanted to give an update chopped the 7th so it's been 4 an a half days at the end of today. I had cut the hole plant down and hung with all leaves on plant all the big fans have now fell down and are covering the buds. Fans are not dry yet but there are getting there buds are still moist. Question is when should I pull the fans and cut into branches and debating. Got the rhythm up to 55 60 and temp is about 68. 70*

K

kolah

Lots of good ways to skin the cat. You may want to read DJ Shorts methods on harvesting and curing which you can find from a search here on the farm. From my experience a very slow cure is best. Old DJ states to cure as slow as possible but to avoid mold issues. I try to stretch out my hanging time as long as possible, then put them into mason jars to be burped and lightly rolled twice a day. I skip putting them in paper bags as IMO the paper bags suck out a lot of the terpenes (flavor/taste)

Slow is the way to go. YMMV.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Good morning guys just wanted to give an update chopped the 7th so it's been 4 an a half days at the end of today. I had cut the hole plant down and hung with all leaves on plant all the big fans have now fell down and are covering the buds. Fans are not dry yet but there are getting there buds are still moist. Question is when should I pull the fans and cut into branches and debating. Got the rhythm up to 55 60 and temp is about 68. 70*
When you're ready to trim, after they're dried and cured. That's when. Seriously. That's a pretty fast beat ya got goin' there! Can you get the temps down?

H

Hondaguy

hey guys cant really get temp down dont use ac so 68 70 is ass low as i can get it. Just had a question its at this point where i get nervous plants have been hanging hole with all the leaves cut some off but 95% of leaves are on plant. leaves are drying and turning light green buds are getting dry seems to be going good except for the blue dreams still wet no mold just had way bigger nugs. But the smell seems to be changing doesent smell like mold just started to smell green cant really explain it. if i touch the buds they smell good not sure maybe it just the leaf but i get nervous and start cutting them into branches and do a light trim (i dident do anything yet plants still hole) thinking something is going wrong. Dont want to mess this one up

squiggly

squiggly

I get a large moving box per plant chopped (mine are shorter as I'm scrogging usually) I take some wire and just poke it through either side and anchor it. Hang the plant upside down for a bit in there with the box open and let the room get to 50-60% RH. Once the room is at the right RH I close the box up after dropping a remote RH/temp monitor in there.

Then I just keep an eye on my remote display and adjust my RH down in the room by about 1% per day. If the inside of the box goes over 70 ish percent, I open it up. Otherwise just keep adjusting RH down steadily until they are where I want them. Max is 2 weeks (with several plants in boxes drying in a small space). Usually takes about 10ish days.

Another great option is to do the whole process in a climate controlled tent with one of those hanging systems if you can spare the space.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
.02c-
don't worry too much about the smell disappearing during drying- the smell will come back after a small cure and get back to normal after 1-2 weeks curing. My favorite stuff doesn't give up the smells after drying until it's been cured for about a month.

Last edited:
Aladeen OG

Aladeen OG

Learn what works best for you. What some are describing may work best in a beach or wet environment, while some answers could come from people that deal with 100 degree days and zero humidity. Gotta find what works best for you and your zone, but take a bit of knowledge from everyone and work from there

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
hey guys cant really get temp down dont use ac so 68 70 is ass low as i can get it. Just had a question its at this point where i get nervous plants have been hanging hole with all the leaves cut some off but 95% of leaves are on plant. leaves are drying and turning light green buds are getting dry seems to be going good except for the blue dreams still wet no mold just had way bigger nugs. But the smell seems to be changing doesent smell like mold just started to smell green cant really explain it. if i touch the buds they smell good not sure maybe it just the leaf but i get nervous and start cutting them into branches and do a light trim (i dident do anything yet plants still hole) thinking something is going wrong. Dont want to mess this one up
The method I outlined is what i was taught by people who make their living doing this, it works. Swear to God. Leave it whole.
.02c-
don't worry too much about the smell disappearing during drying- the smell will come back after a small cure and get back to normal after 1-2 weeks curing. My favorite stuff doesn't give up the smells after drying for about a month.
A month at LEAST. Loran's LBL didn't get to smelling her best til 2mos in.

H

Hondaguy

whats up guys got the stuff in jars but i think i over dryed some of it. its not powder but its a little crisp. Also while i was trimming they smelt good but not at all like they did when they where growing. I dont no guys if im getting it right seems like every time i screw it up somehow. I went to the local dispensory last night a got some forgot the strain but smell grate and the way the smoke is when i inhale like a heavy smoke i cant really explain it but i cant seem to get my stuff to that point it just real discouraging. I would think the stuff should smell an taste nice after drying an get better with a cure but every time i cure them they change smell not a dank. You guys no when u open a bag or crack a jar an get that dank weed smell. maybe strain i dont no. im growing Blue dream have 2 types one more indica 3 types of bubblegum but none smell like bubblegum 2 types of cheese lemon kush (does smell like lemon but starts to smell diffrent in the jar ) pineapple skunk but dont have the skunky smell.

ElManiaco

ElManiaco

Perfect a method & stick to it... Sea stated a method that a few people I know do, as they're commercial. It'll take a few harvests so maybe journal everything you do then correct/adjust as you go. Can't do it in a couple runs of your first grows ( don't know how many you've done ) but ime it took a few to get it right. I was very discouraged but practice makes perfection applies here. I know you'll get there as I was in your shoes too, it sucked. Now I'm like that's the past & my cured bud is diggity dank! Peace!

H

Hondaguy

What's up guys I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the plants smell so good when they where growing an then I harvest them and that's when it goes to shit. Got good genetics useing hps an mh lights. Growing in coco house an garden useing throws fabric post smart pots I think. I had cleaned them out and noticed the roots arnt big an thick like they would be in a plastic pot. What's a better pot I know it's a pain to flush with smart pots vs plastics. I'm just nitpicking trying to find a problem cuz I'm ready to give up I've grown 15 20 times an never got the end result I wanted.

H

Hondaguy

whats going on guys just had a question i got the buds in jars stuff went in was dry not crumble thow. I checked them the other day buds look good but smells not there yet but the question is how long should i burp the jars for. If i keep burping wont they dry out to much. at what point do i leave sealed.

Aladeen OG

Aladeen OG

55% RH, you can buy a cheap hydrometer to throw in the jars, or you can put all the jars in a single box w lid on it, stir the jars once a day and they will spread moisture evenly among themselves

Top Bottom