DWC with recirculating drip, brown/yellowing of leaves, some curling. Thoughts on a fix?

• Thread starter natedowg2000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

natedowg2000

Dwc with recirculating drip brownyellowing of leaves some curling thoughts on a fix
PH sitting right around 6.0, ec around 1.4 ms/cm, distilled water. Everything I've researched says yellowing on the edge of leaves not the middle. Anyone able to help diagnose?

I did accidently cause burning on 2 leaves being stupid and having butter fingers, but ignoring those the older leaves are turning brown/yellow, started as brown spots in the middle of the leaves.

Dwc with recirculating drip brownyellowing of leaves some curling thoughts on a fix 2
Dwc with recirculating drip brownyellowing of leaves some curling thoughts on a fix 3
N

natedowg2000

BryanOconner

BryanOconner

are you putting A into the water mixing the water then adding B later ?? If not that is a mistake Also send a pic of the roots .
What is your ppm and you have it in the water now correct . Lets measure the ppm of the water
if you mix a and b into a cup together a chemical reaction may happen it may cause issues with how the nutrients work. PPm if you do not know its a meter ebay amazon sells about 15 to 20 bucks

N

natedowg2000

are you putting A into the water mixing the water then adding B later ?? If not that is a mistake Also send a pic of the roots .
What is your ppm and you have it in the water now correct . Lets measure the ppm of the water
if you mix a and b into a cup together a chemical reaction may happen it may cause issues with how the nutrients work. PPm if you do not know its a meter ebay amazon sells about 15 to 20 bucks
Plants are in the water, I will measure the PPM and get root photos when I get home, it'll be a couple hours yet. And by adding base B later, like how much later?

ACSippi

ACSippi

To me it looks like you  had a high PH problem that you corrected?

Before you go adding anything...

Ditch the Distilled water and start over using water straight from your tap (assuming you're not on a well). Let it sit for 24 hours to 3 days. If you need water right now drop a bubbler in the tap water and itll be ready in 30 minutes.

Tap water has minerals the plants use, distilled does not.

Your plant will be fine swapping the water, just use the very top recommendation (seedling/clone) when mixing because your plant is slightly stunted. You'll also want to fill your buckets from the top so you can recondition your pellets and rockwool. At least put a gallon of your new water through the top.

Stay on top of your PH.

BryanOconner

BryanOconner

put in a . Run the water for a wile to it all mixed up. Put in B. minute should be plenty . Good reply above distilled water does take out some nutrients depending on your water source . But your adding it back in anyways . ph 55. to 6.0

ACSippi

ACSippi

distilled water does take out some nutrients But your adding it back in anyways
Not so much tho, distilled will need calmag in addition to the partA/partB.

Tap water mostly eliminates the need for calmag.

I'd also suggest finding a three part nutrient mix, that way you can slightly up your micro nutirients if you're noticing a deficiency and be golden but that's in the future.

And most defiantly, keep that PH in check, its your #1 priority all day every day. New growers should keep it simple at 6, that's the target number throughout the grow cycle. In the future when you get comfortable controlling PH we can talk about fine tuning it. 6 is just easy.

Bryan, I'm curious why you say add part A then mix for an extended time before adding B. Is that what his line suggests? I don't know, maybe that line needs it done that way? I know with GH you can add nutrients back to back with a slight swirl in-between.

N

natedowg2000

To me it looks like you  had a high PH problem that you corrected?

Before you go adding anything...

Ditch the Distilled water and start over using water straight from your tap (assuming you're not on a well). Let it sit for 24 hours to 3 days. If you need water right now drop a bubbler in the tap water and itll be ready in 30 minutes.

Tap water has minerals the plants use, distilled does not.

Your plant will be fine swapping the water, just use the very top recommendation (seedling/clone) when mixing because your plant is slightly stunted. You'll also want to fill your buckets from the top so you can recondition your pellets and rockwool. At least put a gallon of your new water through the top.

Stay on top of your PH.
Good eye, I did have a high PH and corrected was sitting around 7.4, upped the nutrients for a higher ec as that tanked causing the PH to be extremely unstable.

N

natedowg2000

put in a . Run the water for a wile to it all mixed up. Put in B. minute should be plenty . Good reply above distilled water does take out some nutrients depending on your water source . But your adding it back in anyways . ph 55. to 6.0
Sounds good, and I typically did wait around 1 min, adding the part A first in each reservoir the B. I do have calmag but have not added that as it directed to add it during the flowering stage, should I start supplementing now?

N

natedowg2000

Not so much tho, distilled will need calmag in addition to the partA/partB.

Tap water mostly eliminates the need for calmag.

I'd also suggest finding a three part nutrient mix, that way you can slightly up your micro nutirients if you're noticing a deficiency and be golden but that's in the future.

And most defiantly, keep that PH in check, its your #1 priority all day every day. New growers should keep it simple at 6, that's the target number throughout the grow cycle. In the future when you get comfortable controlling PH we can talk about fine tuning it. 6 is just easy.

Bryan, I'm curious why you say add part A then mix for an extended time before adding B. Is that what his line suggests? I don't know, maybe that line needs it done that way? I know with GH you can add nutrients back to back with a slight swirl in-between.
I do have calmag but have not added that as it directed to add it during the flowering stage, should I start supplementing now?

This is actually my first run and the nutrients cam free so I figured may as well use this stuff up and make all of my mistakes with low expectation then switch to a 3 part with a bit more expectation on growth/yield

ACSippi

ACSippi

You were probably told to add it during the flowering stage because veg is typically limited to 4/5 weeks. But yeah, if it was me I'd add in a very little since youre using distilled water. I can't say how much because I'm not familiar with Vivosun products but ¼ tbsp would be fine. Just something ya know?

I feel plants need calmag at your stage and throughout the veg cycle. Why start flowering with deficiencies you probably won't know about or even see.

In the future upgrade to tap water, a 3 part nutrient and you can throw the calmag away because you can use the micro nutrient solution to substitute. It just makes things easier.

I can see you've recovered, at least it looks like it...slightly stunted but thats okay. Maybe there's something on the tip of the new leaves? When you redo water while recovering its important to flush the new mixture through the top of your medium. As you correct keep flushing through the top until your water is stable, may take a couple days to stabilize since you're new, growing pains. But it gets way easier.

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

I do have calmag but have not added that as it directed to add it during the flowering stage, should I start supplementing now?

This is actually my first run and the nutrients cam free so I figured may as well use this stuff up and make all of my mistakes with low expectation then switch to a 3 part with a bit more expectation on growth/yield
Spring water for example in my area is 220 ppm.
This would include an amount of calcium and magnesium plus a bunch of other items.

Ro and distilled are both stripped, so one would use calmag.

Myself, 160 ppm . 32ec
Then a&b to 450ppm .9ec

Flower I use same calmag and then 1-1.2 ec.

Were I find ph and ec balance.

Enjoy the growing

ACSippi

ACSippi

Spring water for example in my area is 220 ppm.
This would include an amount of calcium and magnesium plus a bunch of other items.
And if Smokey is having a calmag problem (unlikely) he can simply up his micro nutrients a bit (½ tbsp per gallon or so) and problems fixed! Cake.

N

natedowg2000

You were probably told to add it during the flowering stage because veg is typically limited to 4/5 weeks. But yeah, if it was me I'd add in a very little since youre using distilled water. I can't say how much because I'm not familiar with Vivosun products but ¼ tbsp would be fine. Just something ya know?

I feel plants need calmag at your stage and throughout the veg cycle. Why start flowering with deficiencies you probably won't know about or even see.

In the future upgrade to tap water, a 3 part nutrient and you can throw the calmag away because you can use the micro nutrient solution to substitute. It just makes things easier.

I can see you've recovered, at least it looks like it...slightly stunted but thats okay. Maybe there's something on the tip of the new leaves? When you redo water while recovering its important to flush the new mixture through the top of your medium. As you correct keep flushing through the top until your water is stable, may take a couple days to stabilize since you're new, growing pains. But it gets way easier.
So after 10 hours today these are the readings, ph crept back up.

Bucket 1, PH 6.15 EC 1.460 PPM. 727
Bucket 2, PH 6.67 EC 1.466 PPM 735
Bucket 3, PH 6.73 EC 1.447 PPM 721
Bucket 4, PH 6.41 EC 1.426 PPM 712

20240201 190817
20240201 190821
20240201 190830
20240201 190835
20240201 190839
20240201 191758
20240201 191813
20240201 191827
20240201 191746
N

natedowg2000

PPM and photos above?, below? Learning the forum still but it's posted

Teslajuana

Teslajuana

I’d use RO water if possible, stay away from city tap water as it usually has chlorine and fluoride which kills plants slowly, reduce ppms significantly to 150 and get an industrial air pump with lines connecting to air stones in each bucket if it’s DWC and keep your ph between 5.5-6.5

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Personally I would ditch the ring .

I want the roots to leave the net pot and grow into the water.

So plant deeper in the pebble to cover my medium.
Damp and not soaking.

I may hand water the perimeter of the clay pebbles just to say yes I got them wet.

Then the bubbling and or streams of water to disrupt the surface.

Don’t bubble like crazy as this can be a pain in the ass to.

Personally I do rdwc with no air pump.

This small amount of bubble should keep your clay damp enough for your plant to realize , hey there water down there.

Top Bottom