DWC with recirculating drip, brown/yellowing of leaves, some curling. Thoughts on a fix?

• Thread starter natedowg2000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

natedowg2000

I wouldn't touch the plants till they're healthy and thriving. Introducing stress now is like kicking someone when they're down.
I know it was recommended to get rid of the recirculating drip, would you recommend I convert it to an RDWC for possibly better control of the PH?

ACSippi

ACSippi

I know it was recommended to get rid of the recirculating drip, would you recommend I convert it to an RDWC for possibly better control of the PH?
That's a valid idea, can you handle building one tho? If you're buying one that would be better but they're expensive and you gotta make sure you get one that's built right. PH would be easier but don't let that fool you into thinking you can slack. It will be easier for you tho.

You can ditch the rings and let the plant search for water below. They are a bad idea. Make sure to watch my videos on YouTube or here, they will help you start your new system. Start with the 'cleaning clay pellets' video.

N

natedowg2000

That's a valid idea, can you handle building one tho? If you're buying one that would be better but they're expensive and you gotta make sure you get one that's built right. PH would be easier but don't let that fool you into thinking you can slack. It will be easier for you tho.

You can ditch the rings and let the plant search for water below. They are a bad idea. Make sure to watch my videos on YouTube or here, they will help you start your new system. Start with the 'cleaning clay pellets' video.
Will do, I was planning on doing a full flush of the system and taking out the drip. Probably won't modify it until this run scapes by or fails. And I should be able to modify it, have a general idea of how to do it and will just need to do a bit more research.

Which route would you recommend going:
I think Link 1 would be easier but I can get link 2 done if recommended, just not as pretty.

Link 1: https://www.amazon.com/Hydroponics-...qYlAn7y3RAY46HhQwrfR5ZvtuarzkkJBoCAuQQAvD_BwE

Link 2: https://hydrobuilder.com/current-cu...5NjQiOiI3MTU2IiwiYXR0cmlidXRlNDQ5IjoiMjE0NiJ9

ACSippi

ACSippi

Avoid link 1, buckets are too big (5gal) and the lids will make your life hard. Plus I don't think small tubes between the buckets are a good idea.

#2 is some bull doodie, begs me to ask if they've ever grown a plant. Then, the price they're asking makes me want to talk trash.

I know I've seen decent/good rdwc systems. They're out there...

N

natedowg2000

Avoid link 1, buckets are too big (5gal) and the lids will make your life hard. Plus I don't think small tubes between the buckets are a good idea.

#2 is some bull doodie, begs me to ask if they've ever grown a plant. Then, the price they're asking makes me want to talk trash.

Hah yeah I'm not paying $1,500 for that, i was thinking of the first as I already have 5 gal buckets, I can live with the lids as that's already basically what I have but I'll see if I can find something else.

N

natedowg2000

Found this thread, I'd just bring it down to 4 maybe 6 buckets.

ACSippi

ACSippi

Found this thread, I'd just bring it down to 4 maybe 6 buckets.
🎯 there you go! That look about exactly how I'd build mine. Couple exceptions I noticed after briefly looking at stuff he posted. Sand and paint the white tubes. If you want to get fancy they got stuff that preps plastic for paint making it super durable and longer lasting.

Search for square lids with nets. I recently saw some for sale so I'm hoping they're making them again incase I need them one day. There was a time I contacted a plastics place to see if I can get them made but I had to order 500 of them, didn't want to get into business trying to unload all of them.

ACSippi

ACSippi

You want the lid to be one piece for stability. When I made my net pots before there were any I did my lids like him. I don't use trellises and the plants flopped all over if I wasn't careful. Second run I secured the nets to the lids via zip ties and caulk.

The very first net lid I made I drilled ¼ inch holes in the bottom of a cereal bowl. Before long I opened my closet to droopy plants. The terror! The holes wernt big enough for the roots and I choked the plant out 🤣.

RDWCTraveler

RDWCTraveler

Hah yeah I'm not paying $1,500 for that, i was thinking of the first as I already have 5 gal buckets, I can live with the lids as that's already basically what I have but I'll see if I can find something else.
Have you seen this site?

I have two of his systems. Both are four buckets plus res. I have the 5-gallon and the 13-gallon systems. Both work quite well.

This system is comparable to what you're using.
https://shop.pahydroponics.com/4-plant-5gal-stirponic-rdwc-system/

Everyone has their opinion on nutrients. I've tried many. For hydro, I find Cultured Solutions to be the easiest and most effective. It's a sterile feeding system that keeps the roots clean. I've been doing RDWC intermittingly for over 8 years. The products I've mentioned made things a whole lot better.

These are all autoflowers
PXL 20231030 134949594
PXL 20231105 150653254
PXL 20231105 150627416

Sour Hound Dutch Passion  Deep Water Culture

N

natedowg2000

🎯 there you go! That look about exactly how I'd build mine. Couple exceptions I noticed after briefly looking at stuff he posted. Sand and paint the white tubes. If you want to get fancy they got stuff that preps plastic for paint making it super durable and longer lasting.

Search for square lids with nets. I recently saw some for sale so I'm hoping they're making them again incase I need them one day. There was a time I contacted a plastics place to see if I can get them made but I had to order 500 of them, didn't want to get into business trying to unload all of them.
Good to know on the plastic prep. I found these reports from 2021 on the cities tests, you think I'd be fine switching from distilled to tap? If not I can get the Distilled relatively cheaply about $1.57/gal but the hassle of lugging it down the stairs is what kills me. I was looking into an ro system but all of the piping in the basement is copper and I didn't want to tap into that as I'm not as experienced with preping/sweating the copper connectors.

Screenshot 20240209 142700 Acrobat for Samsung
Screenshot 20240209 142710 Acrobat for Samsung
ACSippi

ACSippi

Use Tap water always. Let it sit uncovered for 24-72 hours so the chlorine and cloramine (or whatever it is) evaporates out of the water.

I ventured down the RODI and Distilled. It's fine but more work, measuring in Calmag. Tap water is close so you won't need calmag. If you do notice calmag may help while using Tap water simply up your micronutrients a teaspoon and note it in your feeding schedule.

Also, it's a good idea to get your Tap water checked for heavy metals. Just in case your plumbing is old. Cannabis is for humans and the earth. There is no other plant on earth that's better at ridding the soil of pollutants. Hence 'ditch weed.' They don't call cannabis that because it's worthless garbage, countries literally plant it in ditches to clean the soil because that's where bad stuff goes, the ditches.

Check me out on YouTube, everything's there and I keep adding more. I'm down to explaine anything so if you have questions please ask, it'll help the next guys.

N

natedowg2000

Use Tap water always. Let it sit uncovered for 24-72 hours so the chlorine and cloramine (or whatever it is) evaporates out of the water.

I ventured down the RODI and Distilled. It's fine but more work, measuring in Calmag. Tap water is close so you won't need calmag. If you do notice calmag may help while using Tap water simply up your micronutrients a teaspoon and note it in your feeding schedule.

Also, it's a good idea to get your Tap water checked for heavy metals. Just in case your plumbing is old. Cannabis is for humans and the earth. There is no other plant on earth that's better at ridding the soil of pollutants. Hence 'ditch weed.' They don't call cannabis that because it's worthless garbage, countries literally plant it in ditches to clean the soil because that's where bad stuff goes, the ditches.

Check me out on YouTube, everything's there and I keep adding more. I'm down to explaine anything so if you have questions please ask, it'll help the next guys.
Good information there on the ditch weed and where that term came from. I've tested my water with an XRF gun before, I'm good on metals.

N

natedowg2000

P.s add more clay, you want to cover so light doesn't get into your water or you'll be back here posting slimy brown roots in a couple weeks. Might as well get you a bottle of hydroguard, there are better options but HG is good for a beginner so I'll keep it simple like that.

Other than that you have all the info I can give you now go check your PH again and adjust it a little at a time.👍
What are the better options to hydroguard?
I'm picking up a bottle tomorrow but want to research some others for future use, I'll also be doing a full system flush and getting some new water in there.

N

natedowg2000

Sorry for the bad pic. Watch my RootRot video on youtube. It's very detailed.
Just giving an update, did a full water swap, disposed of my original nutrients and got GH plus the hydroguard. And doing much better as shown.

Next steps are to get rid of the drip ring (perlite is showing bateria growth so I'm going to switch it all out and get rid of the drip ring).

20240227 143631
N

natedowg2000

Just giving an update, did a full water swap, disposed of my original nutrients and got GH plus the hydroguard. And doing much better as shown.

Next steps are to get rid of the drip ring (perlite is showing bateria growth so I'm going to switch it all out and get rid of the drip ring).
Also just posted that and after doing so realized my roots are spread throughout, would it be best to live with the existing perlite and try to clean what I can?

RDWCTraveler

RDWCTraveler

Also just posted that and after doing so realized my roots are spread throughout, would it be best to live with the existing perlite and try to clean what I can?
I use UC Roots from Cultured Solutions. However, UC Roots will kill bacteria, both good and bad. So, if you are using any type of microbes in your nutrients UC Roots will neutralize them. It does a great job though.

X

xYEETMANx

Sheeesh your EC Is high with hydroponics you should start seedlings I would say no higher than .3 EC and slowly increase the PPM on top offs, when monitoring EC/ph were you noticing heavy swings? Your water levels should reduce and your EC should stay static.. if it keeps coming back higher EC lower PH with water levels dropping reduce EC, if EC is dropping and ph is slowly rising I usually increase by .1 EC if within 24 hours the EC drops by 30-50. But you defiantly started way to high leaves are twisting.

I just started flower and I’m only upto 1650 EC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom