DWC with recirculating drip, brown/yellowing of leaves, some curling. Thoughts on a fix?

• Thread starter natedowg2000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ACSippi

ACSippi

Yeah what Smokey said. Your going to need to baby sit Your PH till you get it stabilized or those plants won't survive. #1 plant PH is in the good range.

ACSippi

ACSippi

P.s add more clay, you want to cover so light doesn't get into your water or you'll be back here posting slimy brown roots in a couple weeks. Might as well get you a bottle of hydroguard, there are better options but HG is good for a beginner so I'll keep it simple like that.

Other than that you have all the info I can give you now go check your PH again and adjust it a little at a time.👍

N

natedowg2000

P.s add more clay, you want to cover so light doesn't get into your water or you'll be back here posting slimy brown roots in a couple weeks. Might as well get you a bottle of hydroguard, there are better options but HG is good for a beginner so I'll keep it simple like that.

Other than that you have all the info I can give you now go check your PH again and adjust it a little at a time.👍
Thanks for the tip, think I should get a water chiller too?

ACSippi

ACSippi

No, not unless your room stays in the 90s. Moving your air pump out of the tent will help lower water Temps, the light blasting on the pump makes them blow warmer air. If you don't want to move it find something that isn't black to give it some shade.

BryanOconner

BryanOconner

ROOTS. this is a serious issue . You have almost zero roots ! Cant suck up nutrients like that . At this stage they should be 4 foot long .
My advice is going to be different . You need to make roots before you get bigger plants .
Temps 60f to 72f lighting should be week . Turn the light all the way down . Very weak light . Run 18/6 for 10 or so days .
Lets see the roots then.
Unless these were fresh cut clones from a mother plant . Again week lighting required to form roots .
Do not want the plant to grow just roots.

N

natedowg2000

ROOTS. this is a serious issue . You have almost zero roots ! Cant suck up nutrients like that . At this stage they should be 4 foot long .
My advice is going to be different . You need to make roots before you get bigger plants .
Temps 60f to 72f lighting should be week . Turn the light all the way down . Very weak light . Run 18/6 for 10 or so days .
Lets see the roots then.
Unless these were fresh cut clones from a mother plant . Again week lighting required to form roots .
Do not want the plant to grow just roots.
I'm already running as weak as I can, 25% power on my lights, I'll increase the height some though. This is the 21st day, so exactly 3 weeks.

ACSippi

ACSippi

Mix in another .5ml of ph down...in 30 minutes take water from your bucket and pour it through the top a couple times.

Like a 12oz glass worth. You want to buffer your rockwool an medium.

You're getting close...

N

natedowg2000

Mix in another .5ml of ph down...in 30 minutes take water from your bucket and pour it through the top a couple times.

Like a 12oz glass worth. You want to buffer your rockwool an medium.
Perfect, I will do that.

ACSippi

ACSippi

What's happening with high PH (keeping it simple here) is your plants are being locked out from nutrients.

There are tips and tricks to make things easier but I'd have to make a whole tutorial explaining it all. Even without the tips and tricks things get easier as you get comfortable conditioning your water, that's your stage right now, getting comfortable.

After you flush your medium let your water sit for 4 hours and check it again. What you want to do now is get it to stabilize at ph6 (keeping it simple) so you dont have a hard swing into the mid 5s PH.

I don't know the brand nutrients your using or how they react to PH buffering but I feel You're on the right track.

PH is the most important key to growing. Screw  everything else till the PH is right. FOCUS!

N

natedowg2000

What's happening with high PH (keeping it simple here) is your plants are being locked out from nutrients.

There are tips and tricks to make things easier but I'd have to make a whole tutorial explaining it all. Even without the tips and tricks things get easier as you get comfortable conditioning your water, that's your stage right now, getting comfortable.

After you flush your medium let your water sit for 4 hours and check it again. What you want to do now is get it to stabilize at ph6 (keeping it simple) so you dont have a hard swing into the mid 5s PH.

I don't know the brand nutrients your using or how they react to PH buffering but I feel You're on the right track.

PH is the most important key to growing. Screw  everything else till the PH is right. FOCUS!
Haha sounds good, and thanks for all the help, I'll prime the medium and get that all stable, and yeah, given it's my first run I had low expectations so just figuring it all out.

Choppr

Choppr

@natedowg2000 I would agree with @ACSippi pH was more than likely out of spec, pH is more important for seedlings as they are striking roots, pH 6 is fine/safe as all of the nutrients will be available, I hate rockwool starts for DWC and top watering, rockwool cubes hold too much water and seedlings will show as overwatered (puffy leaf) and they wont search for water, dump the dripper for seedlings... If I use rockwool at all? I cut off a small piece 1/2" x 1/2" for germ, roots will grow right thru it quickly and can be dropped right into the pebble close to the bottom 1 layer of pebble below the Tap. Vivosun should have the cal/nit needed for starting with... most modern nutrient lines will be fine...(avoiding box store brands). Rockwool is great if your going from Cube to Bigger Cube in Flood and Drain or Cube to Coco - keep at it man!

N

natedowg2000

How's it going?
Ph still goes up to about 6.5, so not nearly as much as before,adjust to roughly 5.8. Ec still roughly 1.4 ms/cm. The leaves that were curdling before are now brittle and more curled, browning is continuing on plants 2 and 3. 4 still looks good a couple spots of brown about the size of a sewing needle point.

20240204 172630
20240204 172633
20240204 172638
20240204 172641
N

natedowg2000

@natedowg2000 I would agree with @ACSippi pH was more than likely out of spec, pH is more important for seedlings as they are striking roots, pH 6 is fine/safe as all of the nutrients will be available, I hate rockwool starts for DWC and top watering, rockwool cubes hold too much water and seedlings will show as overwatered (puffy leaf) and they wont search for water, dump the dripper for seedlings... If I use rockwool at all? I cut off a small piece 1/2" x 1/2" for germ, roots will grow right thru it quickly and can be dropped right into the pebble close to the bottom 1 layer of pebble below the Tap. Vivosun should have the cal/nit needed for starting with... most modern nutrient lines will be fine...(avoiding box store brands). Rockwool is great if your going from Cube to Bigger Cube in Flood and Drain or Cube to Coco - keep at it man!
Good to know, I was just trying to limit organic matter and and rockwool always came up, I will switch that up this next time with a smaller piece

ACSippi

ACSippi

Leaves don't repair themselves. You want to watch the new growth.

Pic 1,2,4 are stunted. 3 looks reasonaly good. Even pic 1 looks like it might be kinda okay. Can't really tell about 4 but 2 lol poor girl.

Stay on top of your PH! If you fail that will reflect on my help. I don't think you want to fail tho. Being a new grower you gotta put in that extra effort, the good news is it's worth the effort because next run should be easier for you. Right now you're doing the grunt work. I can see your plants recovering.

Check out this thread I've been working on for guys like you. https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/start-seeds-hydroponics-video-low-quality.156692/

N

natedowg2000

Pic 1,2,4 are stunted. 3 looks reasonaly good. Even pic 1 looks like it might be kinda okay. Can't really tell about 4 but 2 lol poor girl.

Stay on top of your PH! If you fail that will reflect on my help. I don't think you want to fail tho. Being a new grower you gotta put in that extra effort, the good news is it's worth the effort because next run should be easier for you. Right now you're doing the grunt work. I can see your plants recovering.

Check out this thread I've been working on for guys like you. https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/start-seeds-hydroponics-video-low-quality.156692/

Oops I was using the number convetion from my labeled pics before, using the new one, 4 is good just really stunted, 3 has been pulling thought my abuse like a champ. 1 and 2 are the worse. Would it be best to trim off extreamly damaged leaves? If so just the leaves or stem of that branch too?

N

natedowg2000

Also I'll save that thread for reference now.

Top Bottom