Electrical Guidelines for Safe Growing

• Thread starter johnnyballbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey Farmers, decided to put together a lil Electrical Faq as requested by Logic. With all the possible scenarios, there's no way i could cleanly make up a thread that covered all angles in one post, so it'll be a continual, work-in-progress kinda thing.

The first thing i'd like to talk about is amperage. Since most farmers talk wattage, at least when it comes to lighting, you need to know how to convert the numbers back and forth. To determine amperage, add up your total wattage, and divide that number by the voltage of the circuit. Say you're running 5,000 watts of light on a 240V circuit. 5,000 divided by 240 equals 20.8 amps. If you were to run that wattage on a 120V circuit, you'd have almost 42 amps, big difference! This is the reason why people run their lighting on a higher voltage circuit, 240V if you're in the US. By doubling your voltage, you cut your amperage in half. This becomes more important as you increase the electrical load. Amperage is what hurts you when you get "zapped." Amperage is also what your circuit breakers work off of, the power is shut off when the amperage surpasses the rated load.

To determine your wattage, add up the total amperage, and multiply that number by the voltage of the circuit. So if you had 10amps of power being pulled from a 120V circuit, multiplying 10 times 120 gives you 1200 watts.

Not only are breakers rated in amperage, so is wire. Which means if you decide you need to change your breakers in your panel to a higher load, you MUST change the wiring also. I can't stress that enough, electricity is something you don't wanna sacrifice on. When a wire is fed more power than it is rated for, it produces heat. Over time, it WILL cause a fire. So if you think you're saving time and money by only changing your breakers, you'll be in for a rude awakening when your whole entire house burns down. While we're talking about staying within electrical ratings, there's another thing i wanna point out. It's best to only use 80% of the circuit, which helps to prevent any problems due to surges. So on a 15amp circuit, don't run anymore than 12amps. On a 20amp circuit, don't run more than 16amps. Remember the 80% rule and use it, not just in your growroom either.

I'm trying to make up a wire ampacity chart that's easy to read, i'll put it up when it's done. That way you can determine what size wire to use with whatever amperage load you have.

T

triconomics

thanks for the info......

how do you check to find out what amperage your breakers are rated? not to change them just to find out what your limits will be

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Most breakers have the amperage rating on the front of the switch. The toggle switch that you turn the breaker on and off with, should have a number on the front of it. That's your amperage.

J

Jalisco Kid

The important reason for 240 vac is you do not put the same load on as you would for your 120 vac wiring. You save on wire. I have a feeling when they look at your statement that you use half the amps some farmers will think you are using half of the electricity. Their thinking leads to half the bill which we know is not the case. JK

T

triconomics

thanks.......I was looking at the breaker and noticed that too before I read the response, figured it was what the meaning was. now I am sure.

so it would be best to have more than one flowering room/tent and run one 12 hours then have the second one come on as the first turns off. that is what I was thinking. if your not concerned about electricity anyway.

is there a larger breaker amperage that we should be aware of?

for instance if someone is running off multiple breakers using a lot of juice in different rooms will it set off a bad thing like a fire, besides the obvious large electric bill. or does it not matter as long as you don't go over each individual breakers %80 amperage rating?

thanks

G

my rule of thumb is 80% what circuit can hold.
10a 110v= 1100w & 80% is 880w
15a 110v =1650w & 80% is 1320w
25a 110v = 2750w & 80% is 2200w

T

Tripod

Hello johnnyballbag . I think you might be the one to ask about this ( if this needs to start or go to a different thread thats cool ) :
Plants - Indoor
EQUALIZER PF2 The Equalizer is the first product of its kind to bring to the residential electrical consumer savings that up to now have only been available to the large industrial consumer. Is this thing for real ? Does it really cut electrical costs and is it by changing the voltage to 240 ? Tks

Top Bottom