Electrical question...

• Thread starter webstar5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
webstar5

webstar5

Ok, I have this breaker (shown below) on my sub panel, going to a 30 amp swith box which goes to a T104 timer. The timer has 4 x 220V outlets connected to it.

I currently have two 600w DUAL Lumatek ballasts. I want to upgrade to 6 x 1ks. That would be roughly 27 amps.

The qeustion is...Can I run 6k with my current light board setup?
http://i139.invalid.com/albums/q320/ryanwebstar5/Picture008.jpg
http://i139.invalid.com/albums/q320/ryanwebstar5/Picture009.jpg

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I wouldn't do it. 6 1000w ballast can draw about 31.80 amps. I like 20% extra as a rule though so it might be possible but not ideal. Timer boxes that I've found in Hydro stores do not leave any cushion at all. Not good IMO. Hope you get some more expert advice that can tell you how just hard you can push that 30amp. I don't wanna push mine at. Just me though. Good Luck and be careful!

fred

H

Hogdady

Your 1k's draw slightly more than 1000 watts, closer to 1100. That's 30 amps right there. Your circuit load should not be more than 80% of breaker rating.

webstar5

webstar5

I figured as much...what do you think about it running 4k safely?

S

sirsmokealot

depending on the guage wire your using you could just replace the 30 amp breaker with a 40 amp breaker. I have the same timer being feed with 10/3, powering 6 1K's, no problems for about a year now...I calnt tell from the picture but it looks like you might only have 12/3. What is the point of the switch box? If you wanna kill power to the timer why not just turn its breaker off?

B

blahman

I wouldn't do it. 6 1000w ballast can draw about 31.80 amps. I like 20% extra as a rule though so it might be possible but not ideal. Timer boxes that I've found in Hydro stores do not leave any cushion at all. Not good IMO. Hope you get some more expert advice that can tell you how just hard you can push that 30amp. I don't wanna push mine at. Just me though. Good Luck and be careful!

fred

I've seen some really bad electrical gear for light setups at hydro stores. No safety buffer with them at all. I wouldn't be able to sleep with half the things they sell.

webstar5

webstar5

Ya, I got my light board from the Hydro store. So Ill just run four 1ks for now, and upgrade my breaker and switch to 40 amps, and check what size wiring I have. Its the same size as my stove.

Top Bottom