Eriophyid Mites or "Hemp Russet Mites" in Colorado

• Thread starter DeezNugzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
eyecandi

eyecandi

another interesting tidbit about ozone interactions with plants (gets the experimental mind going ...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone#Agriculture
Agriculture
Ozone application on freshly cut pineapple and banana shows increase in flavonoids and total phenol contents when exposure is up to 20 minutes. Decrease in ascorbic acid content is observed but the positive effect on total phenol content and flavonoids can overcome the negative effect.[71] Tomatoes upon treatment with ozone shows an increase in β-carotene, lutein and lycopene

Dorje

Dorje

I should have added that ozone will kill your bud's smell... definitely don't use it with plants that have buds on them. Before we had big charcoal filters I used to build in-duct ozone generators using neon light ballasts... but some people introduced ozone into the flowering room, and it has a huge negative effect on the smell. A large enough dose will kill ALL of the smell... not good.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I should have added that ozone will kill your bud's smell... definitely don't use it with plants that have buds on them. Before we had big charcoal filters I used to build in-duct ozone generators using neon light ballasts... but some people introduced ozone into the flowering room, and it has a huge negative effect on the smell. A large enough dose will kill ALL of the smell... not good.
Unless you're dealing with a contingent of locals who are using the smell as a means by which to impinge upon your rights to grow and consume, as I have been. The smell, in fact, has been the most often quoted reason to limit outdoor cultivation where I live. Fortunately indoor cultivation wasn't impinged upon, but it most certainly will be up next if people are smelling it.
I use Physan 20 for sanitation and sterilization. Does anyone know if these mites are affected by quaternary ammonium compounds like Physan 20? Hold on... lemme read mah label. Ok, nothing on the label, but lookie what Google Scholar found me!

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v212/n5062/abs/212643b0.html

Here's the list of scholarly articles for my search, using terms "quaternary ammonium effect eriophyid mites."

If those of you who are dealing with these aren't including quaternary ammonium compounds into your IPM strategy, you may want to consider using it.
^^^ ???? No research on the part of cannabis growers into this? Tssss....

altimood

altimood

Unless you're dealing with a contingent of locals who are using the smell as a means by which to impinge upon your rights to grow and consume, as I have been. The smell, in fact, has been the most often quoted reason to limit outdoor cultivation where I live. Fortunately indoor cultivation wasn't impinged upon, but it most certainly will be up next if people are smelling it.

^^^ ???? No research on the part of cannabis growers into this? Tssss....
I'm trying to understand you here miss maiden: Are you talking about using physan as a foliar?

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
If it don't smell, it won't sell...... NOBODY WANTS YOUR SCENTLESS WEED! Please, just stop growing if you don't understand that......

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
amen bud! Learned that when i was 14....

Yep, I'm figuring out Seamaiden has the grow skills of a 14 year old, so it kind of makes sense! She ought to read more, and post less, she might learn something......... hopefully no one on the Farm starts spraying thier plants with Physan....... ugg! May as well use Roundup, it's cheaper, and probably kills quicker!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You're amusing, but misunderstanding me completely, Bud. I never said to foliar, I'm suggesting that, based on research that's already out there, perhaps quaternary ammonium might be another method for dealing with Eriophyid mites.

As far as the smell, as I said, I've been dealing with the local board of supervisors impinging seriously upon county patients' ability to grow outdoors, and the reasoning that they're using is the smell as a nuisance. In fact, the smell is what allows them to declare it a per se public nuisance. In fact, public nuisance is what many municipalities are using as a means by which to undo the CUA and MMPA, and many of them are using the smell as the basis.

So, while YOU may not be able to sell your weed, we have a larger problem in that we may not even be able to grow it, depending on who our neighbors are. I'm much, MUCH more interested in keeping myself in my weed and preserving patients' rights than selling.
I'm trying to understand you here miss maiden: Are you talking about using physan as a foliar?
I didn't read enough of the abstracts to move beyond quaternary ammonium compounds and their effect on eriophyid mites. But I'm pretty sure I provided the link to the entire Google Scholar search I did, and from there anyone can read the abstracts. If you have a membership to a university library, you may even be able to read the entire paper.

T

triangle kush

As far as the smell, as I said, I've been dealing with the local board of supervisors impinging seriously upon county patients' ability to grow outdoors, and the reasoning that they're using is the smell as a nuisance. In fact, the smell is what allows them to declare it a per se public nuisance. In fact, public nuisance is what many municipalities are using as a means by which to undo the CUA and MMPA, and many of them are using the smell as the basis.

GOOD!! Look at it this way, say your neighbors paint cars all day in their garage and the paint fumes are filling up your backyard. Cookouts with paint smell in the air?? Dont bother your neighbors..mountain code of ethics.

eyecandi

eyecandi

yes good. it takes extra $$, but ventilating clean/non smelly air is what is and should be expected from any grow. 'be a good neighbor' is not just MtnCode, it's good life code. once in a while smells are fine, but living/working next to it constantly is an insult to those who could care less about cannabis and just pushes their buttons. my 2 coppers

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How do you do that when you're growing outside, exactly?

It's actually a bit amusing, considering that we're a Right to Farm county, which means that if your neighbor keeps livestock and you don't like the smell or the flies--tough shit.

eyecandi

eyecandi

I thought CO law prohibited outdoor grows?

Right to Farm is usually applied to rural areas, not the cities (don't know where you are, but most commercial ops are within city limits)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm in California. You can check my signature for the thread I started on our fight of the cultivation ban.

I am indeed in a very rural area, with a guaranteed right to farm. Had to sign a disclosure and everything when we bought the property.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sorry about that! I was only trying to address the idea of using quaternary ammonium compounds for treating these little shits, and then the smell thing came up, so I mentioned how it's causing a real problem for many patients, but forgot completely to qualify CALIFORNIA patients.

Mea culpa, aka D'OH!

Dorje

Dorje

Interesting problem, Seamaiden. If it's a public nuisance then you'd think it was harmful and not just a smell everyone doesn't appreciate. Sense of smell is COMPLETELY objective, so unless it's a harmful chemical, saying the smell of mmj is a nuisance has no basis in fact whatsoever, many people might find it pleasant. The problem with them doing this with mmj, is that it could be applied to anything that smells.

I think that if you tested this in court and came up with the right arguments, there is no way you could lose because the logic to call a simple smell a public nuisance is flawed in a rural farming area. I could see it being a nuisance in a city, but that's a whole 'nother set of rules.

Dorje

Dorje

Interesting problem, Seamaiden. If it's a public nuisance then you'd think it was harmful and not just a smell everyone doesn't appreciate. Sense of smell is COMPLETELY objective, so unless it's a harmful chemical, saying the smell of mmj is a nuisance has no basis in fact whatsoever, many people might find it pleasant. The problem with them doing this with mmj, is that it could be applied to anything that smells.

I think that if you tested this in court and came up with the right arguments, there is no way you could lose because the logic to call a simple smell a public nuisance is flawed in a rural farming area. I could see it being a nuisance in a city, but that's a whole 'nother set of rules.

Umm, that would be subjective... Can't edit?

Top Bottom