Ethos Seeds "Candy Store" under 2 Gavita Pro 1700e LED's

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seb

Seb

Good point......I’ve done things like this on a limited basis in the past and no issues came from it but it’s a new room, new lights, new everything basically. The biggest leaves have to go, that’s a given. But as you can see, these have a classic indica appearance and although there’s not a ton of leaves, what’s there are large.

I also used to trim clones back regularly and they did just fine as I used to have a 100% Survivor rate when I bothered with them.

Hi everyone, @sshz are the petioles of the fan leaves not long (and flexible) enough "to knit" them together 2 by 2? I was doing this in the past instead of doing some defoliation, and still doing it for squat indica's with big ass fan leaves like yours. It can be a bit of work for the first few days as the leaves will try to get back where they originally were (you can bind them together to avoid this), but it allows the light to go deeper to the lower branches without having to cut the fan leaves off.
I hope that makes sens.

Thanks!
Seb

C827996d02a62ccd70b84e676c7601b58dbdcd
sshz

sshz

Yes, I see what you are getting at. These leaves are so big, I don't think there's anything you can do but cut them back or remove them. When lights come on at 11AM, I'll take a pic compared to my hand. With smaller leaves, that just might work. With these, there's no hope. LOL Bottom line though, I need to "open" these up more, as not a drop of light is getting thru to the lower parts of the plants.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I think with a new strain the ideal is to just remove a few at a time to see how the plant reacts. If it were me, i would clip off a big fan at the second level from top (same leaves you cut on sweet zombie) on one side and see how she reacts after 72 hours. If she's popping up a branch to fill (a new cola, basically) then I'd do the round and clean up the bottom. If not, just clean up the bottom and do some bending.

Last edited:
Dopey28

Dopey28

Hey sshz
I own a pair of spydr 2i. So they email me to sign up to these webinars (on various subjects increasing yield etc etc)
usually under the pretence of commercial production but being a bit or a nerd. I usually sit and watch. Latest one was on spectrum outside of par. Thought I would share the link incase you wanted to give it a watch. The actual study results are only about the first 20 mins with a q and a period after.
http://www2.fluencebioengineering.c...XJLFW3YA67WYLKXLRPO63ZHHGJSXWEE6H5AG7H4======

sshz

sshz

So, I'd recommend watching the first 20 minutes of the video but to sum it all up, their findings show:

1. UV-B reduces overall yield and does NOT effect resin and terpene concentrations (production).

2. Far Red is expensive to produce and adding more white light (instead of far red) is just about equal in results but cheaper. The main advantage to the far red is stem elongation, although it reduces branch quantity.

I think the UV-B findings kind of runs contrary to Bruce Bigsby's studies but the far red is similar. I'm wondering if I just wasted $200 on the UV-B lights.........LOL I'm also wondering if I can send Bruce the video and try to solicit some type of response from him?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Notice they harden the plants off at the beggining of flower? Also did not see what intensity was tested... lettuce extremely bad example to compare with UVB.

Dopey28

Dopey28

Notice they harden the plants off at the beggining of flower? Also did not see what intensity was tested... lettuce extremely bad example to compare with UVB.

The hardening of the plants like that is something they recommend in all the documentation of there lighting regiment.
I have to admit I noticed they didn’t give details on intensity of uvb. I was in a hurry when I watched it so I didn’t stick around for the q and a portion so I don’t know if it was addressed there.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The hardening of the plants like that is something they recommend in all the documentation of there lighting regiment.
I have to admit I noticed they didn’t give details on intensity of uvb. I was in a hurry when I watched it so I didn’t stick around for the q and a portion so I don’t know if it was addressed there.
Yeah me either... good point I may have missed it... but most studies showing an increase use UVB only at the end of the grow... another grower here @Moe.Red did the same as the video and came to the same conclusion... no increase. I think it's important to note this difference from the studies showing an increase. After all the science behind it is the stress it induces so if they are acclimated early in flower that would kinda put a damper on the purpose no?

Dopey28

Dopey28

So, I'd recommend watching the first 20 minutes of the video but to sum it all up, their findings show:

1. UV-B reduces overall yield and does NOT effect resin and terpene concentrations (production).

2. Far Red is expensive to produce and adding more white light (instead of far red) is just about equal in results but cheaper. The main advantage to the far red is stem elongation, although it reduces branch quantity.

I think the UV-B findings kind of runs contrary to Bruce Bigsby's studies but the far red is similar. I'm wondering if I just wasted $200 on the UV-B lights.........LOL I'm also wondering if I can send Bruce the video and try to solicit some type of response from him?

sorry I didn’t break down the findings and save you some time. I know personally I like to see the conditions of an experiment for myself. Not all science is good science and some experiments are flawed from the beginning.

things I liked about there design shared environmental conditions. Several strains, several exposures, several runs.... but like aqua I wish they gave a bit more information. Uv intensity would have been nice, how well were other parameters maintained? Ie were all plants given the same amount of water, were canopy temps the same (like did uv result in increased temps in those sections)
I’m of the mindset if it’s science and we can measure it measure and present the information.

sshz

sshz

Somehow I think Bigsby has less skin in the game, and probably has a more scientific regimen. Fluence is trying to sell you lights, Bigsby is giving out information. I’ll give a whirl this grow, paying particular attention to leaf health and we’ll see how it goes.

Madmax

Madmax

Yeah i do.they are not needed.i think your dope grows just fine and im sure your buyers arnt complaining....

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I definitely think there is a danger to yield. I also think you would have to be an absolute imbecile to look at this and feel like you nailed it.

Screenshot 20210301 220152

🤷‍♂️

sshz

sshz

Just for conversation purposes......the picture to the left above at day 46 shows you would probably still have 2.5-4 weeks left in flowering under normal circumstances. If you weren't going to start the UV-B until the last 2 weeks, the other pic's would be irrelevant, as would the decline in health of the plants. Usually, the last 2 weeks- most of the pistils have started to die off anyway and you are really in a "pod swelling and hardening" period with an increase of resin being produced on the empty pods that make up each cola.

My point is the health impact would be minimal if only given the UV-B the last few weeks, as the plants are in decline anyway. The main issue remains the increase of resin production under UV-B lights the last 2 weeks, and we now have conflicting info.

Here's another article I often refer to....... make sure to check the very bottom part that specifically talks about marijuana.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Just for conversation purposes......the picture to the left above at day 46 shows you would probably still have 2.5-4 weeks left in flowering under normal circumstances. If you weren't going to start the UV-B until the last 2 weeks, the other pic's would be irrelevant, as would the decline in health of the plants. Usually, the last 2 weeks- most of the pistils have started to die off anyway and you are really in a "pod swelling and hardening" period with an increase of resin being produced on the empty pods that make up each cola.

My point is the health impact would be minimal if only given the UV-B the last few weeks, as the plants are in decline anyway. The main issue remains the increase of resin production under UV-B lights the last 2 weeks, and we now have conflicting info.

Here's another article I often refer to....... make sure to check the very bottom part that specifically talks about marijuana.
Kind of my point. Like obviously all three plants look awful (yes, even the control).

If you have a healthy plant to start with, what does it look like?

Interestingly, the paper you linked suggests it's the UVA that may increase trich formation and the uvb is for the thc specifically.

Screenshot 20210301 225122

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Kind of my point. Like obviously all three plants look awful (yes, even the control).

If you have a healthy plant to start with, what does it look like?

Interestingly, the paper you linked suggests it's the UVA that may increase trich formation and the uvb is for the thc specifically.

View attachment 1097841
If you download the link on the post attached, you will get this paper. It is by far the best i have found on this subject in terms of breadth if nothing else. It appears to be more of a lit review than new research, but it is well-presented.

Screenshot 20210301 230506
Screenshot 20210301 230526
Screenshot 20210301 230746
Screenshot 20210301 230801
Screenshot 20210301 230811

Last edited:
Dopey28

Dopey28

Somehow I think Bigsby has less skin in the game, and probably has a more scientific regimen. Fluence is trying to sell you lights, Bigsby is giving out information. I’ll give a whirl this grow, paying particular attention to leaf health and we’ll see how it goes.

see I was thinking the opposite. I figured when I logged into the thing it was all going to play out as an infomercial for their new uv and far red supplemental light fixtures which drop next month. (Fictional products btw)

i also am sceptical of any research coming from a company and not unbiased lab work (which to be honest is getting to a point That you really need to look into how studies were funded these days too)
So I was kinda shocked when the over all message was “there’s no need for you to buy extra products from us that we could have thrown together in like a week and happily sold to at an inflated cost”

I mean growers how want uv or far red are just gonna go buy it anyway and at this point give another company there money

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I definitely think there is a danger to yield. I also think you would have to be an absolute imbecile to look at this and feel like you nailed it.

View attachment 1097820

🤷‍♂️

My point is the health impact would be minimal if only given the UV-B the last few weeks, as the plants are in decline anyway.
Thought about this point again some more...those plants in the pic are all basically disasters. If my sugar leaves look like that halfway through week 7, I am incredibly angry with myself for how badly I have screwed up. I will expect sub-optimal results at harvest. I know this from experience.

Those plants on the right are practically dead for all the production they are doing. That's not what bud grown in, for instance, Hawaii, Colombia, etc (where it is getting hit hard with UV rays) is going to look like if it's grown properly. We all know this.

Strange study.

I think, in general, when it comes to plants I would be more interested in studies that employ multivariate regressionary analysis across a high number of plants to control for confounding variables as opposed to these attempts to zero out said confounding variables because it's frustrating to know what to make of the latter (the experiment design is almost always going to be problematic) and at least with the former you can do your own analysis if you take issue with the way they did it (assuming they will share their data, which would be nice since it's supposed to be science).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom