• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Thanks Biomaster........good stuff.

Questioning why you would drop back down to 2 hours at the start of week 2???

Its basically to give the plants a break, after the ending of week 1 @ 2.5 hours. That's a terrible explanation.... The plants seem to build more bud density during a "lull" or low point in UVB intensity/duration if that makes sense.

Your trying to almost "train" the plant to respond to the UVB/A exposure......my example is during runs that used a straight 2-3 hours exposure times for 14 days produced less bud density. It seems during peak levels of UVB the plant slows growing.....this may interfere with certain methods that rely on late stage flower bulking.

If you run a strain for 8 weeks flower its less important, but if you run the same strain 11 to 12 weeks, the schedule and timing becomes more important.

Currently testing using the light in mid to late stages of veg at various durations....going to schedule a 1 hour duration at midpoint from seed to harvest next.

Last edited:
TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Also have some schedules that goes beyond a 14 day cycle, but extends to 21 days. Main difference is the incremental increase in duration steps up from 30 minutes to an hour to max time is much smaller.

I can dump all the scheduling schemes (up to about 10) that I've tried if interested.

The one posted is the one that seems to be a fair starting point, but you will quickly want to adjust/tweak that schedule to fit your growing methods and Genetics.

You have an advantage in your growing methods, as you only allow the strong to stay, and your using reputable genetics IMHO.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

I've read in some scientific studies that growers use the light the entire grow, obvious for lesser "on" times.

Yes sir! I'm in firm belief this light supplement has use from seed to harvest.......I just can't prove it....yet!! LOL

Currently using this test kit for cabinoids.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

The method is pretty straight forward, its finding good sources for a kit. As sshz commented, not the best reviews.....takes practice, and the cost of the little kits adds up fast. Especially if you got a couple different strains going and then the control group has to be tested or its just numbers.....

The kits I've found is meant for the home user wanting to know how strong the brownie batch is before giving it to grandma...

Option B is sourcing each individual chemical and reactive agents plus materials which presents its own difficulties and cost.

The "Proper" method in my mind is the $15,000.00 machine that the lab uses......but that's not happening!! LOL!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've read in some scientific studies that growers use the light the entire grow, obvious for lesser "on" times.
From my understanding it can be used to harden them off in young plants before transition to outdoors but the reason it only the last 2-3 weeks is because it elicits a stress response that results in the benefit of more trich production etc. As @TheBioMaster pointed out you can see the improvement within days. If we run em all along the plants harden off and become accustomed to it

sshz

sshz

Thinking about this further and what impact, if any, defoliation has since you are removing so many leaves. Does the UV-B advantage come from the rays hitting all the leaves or just the leaves within the buds? With that, should the bud leaves be retained and only sun leaves removed or just remove as I’ve been doing? You guys didn’t think think was going to be easy as pie did you? I still have a load of questions, but let’s start there.........

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Thinking about this further and what impact, if any, defoliation has since you are removing so many leaves. Does the UV-B advantage come from the rays hitting all the leaves or just the leaves within the buds? With that, should the bud leaves be retained and only sun leaves removed or just remove as I’ve been doing? You guys didn’t think think was going to be easy as pie did you? I still have a load of questions, but let’s start there.........
So my thought is you are basically trying to coax out the phenotype that arises from UV exposure (given the plant's genetics) without actually hurting the plant. Like make it successfully heroically defend itself. So you hit whatever compound the plant uses to detect uv exposure and that, through a process i don't understand, triggers the gene or gene set that reacts to this exposure and expresses itself in some chemical way that increases the acid production that ultimately leads to thc.

So i think you want to mimic a sunny climate by having it hit the canopy. Don't think you need to worry too much about stuff under etc. The point is for the plant to notice it's there and trigger the maxing out of the uv response without hurting it. What that "max" is I have no idea but my suspicion is you hit diminishing returns fairly quickly vs the damage you do with too much exposure.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

But you didn’t answer my question.......is the process formed on the leaves or clauses? Point being, if leaves are necessary, then removing them will have a negative impact on resin production.

Im going to guess here but based on a few facts. I think the defoliation wont matter as the trichomes are a direct response to the light. Sunscreen is a word used to describe them. And the frostiest plants grow on the side of a mountain in the desert rather than in a dense rain forest so makes sense.

Solis tech had tests on the 10k finishing bulb where the thc increase was the same running the uv strong bulb only the last two weeks as when they ran it full cycle.

so i guess the buds alone can produce the trichomes fine in response to the uvb because the plants were flushed and fading the last two weeks in the test.

Om sorry i dont have the old link. Its from a couple phones ago. But i did a ton of research on this stuff. I also decided not to bother as the thc increase alone does nothing for a quality high imo and i dont have product tested. If i still did it could make more money at the dispensary cause of the higher thc.

sshz

sshz

Also, happy to report tonight that everything has popped thru the soil and are doing well. A big difference from the Bepop already. So, I'll make today day 1 of veg.

Also going down to 20 degrees or lower here tonight so I may just leave the LED's on tonight to keep the room reasonably warm.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

From my understanding... not experience it will increase not only trich production but also cannabinoid, terp concentration. So if my understanding is correct than your will not only see more trich but the concentration of the cannabinoids should also increase not just produce more. Also from my understanding much like defoliation (in some strains not all) it is a result of stress. So if this treatment is started from early veg and continued you are losing out on the stress response but there is a possibility that there are other benefits or similar benefits provided from stimulating the specific photo receptors through the grow.

Personally I feel that we benefit more by restricting uvb until late flower and eliciting a stress response from the plant. But I have yet to use or test this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom