Ethos Seeds "Candy Store" under 2 Gavita Pro 1700e LED's

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
sshz

sshz

To avoid any confusion, and lord knows I was confused- I started flowering yesterday and what I was referring to was the defoliation, which I planned on doing in 1 week. That looks like it will need to be done earlier than planned.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
To avoid any confusion, and lord knows I was confused- I started flowering yesterday and what I was referring to was the defoliation, which I planned on doing in 1 week. That looks like it will need to be done earlier than planned.
You normally do a first week defo?

sshz

sshz

Rasta Jeff of Irie Seeds (Orange Gasm), whose defoliation podcast I've linked numerous times, recommends doing the first one right before or on the 1st day of flowering. I like to do one within the first week, but not sure it's ideal to do it too early. So, I can't say I have an exact time but I like to see a bit of elongation first.

sshz

sshz

Starting to think about defoliation more and more now......... some of leaves are so damn big. Instead of removing the entire leaf, I'm thinking about just removing the part of the leaf that's blocking growing shoots underneath. What do you think and has anyone done this in the past? This has to be less stressful on the plants AND it's a way to save more leaf material as sugar producers.......just thinking it all over.

IMG 1365

sshz

sshz

At this point I’m thinking about just removing the very low stuff like normal and trimming back the stuff higher up.......make sense? Once I do a plant or two, I think I’ll know what’s best, it’s always the first couple ones you do that are more difficult because you are unsure......

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Starting to think about defoliation more and more now......... some of leaves are so damn big. Instead of removing the entire leaf, I'm thinking about just removing the part of the leaf that's blocking growing shoots underneath. What do you think and has anyone done this in the past? This has to be less stressful on the plants AND it's a way to save more leaf material as sugar producers.......just thinking it all over.

View attachment 1097262
I guess the question is if you amputate part of a leaf will the rest continue to function or will the plant amputate it... I think for the most part it will continue but then there is likely a bigger risk of infection as you have more exposed damage than a small stem.

sshz

sshz

Good point......I’ve done things like this on a limited basis in the past and no issues came from it but it’s a new room, new lights, new everything basically. The biggest leaves have to go, that’s a given. But as you can see, these have a classic indica appearance and although there’s not a ton of leaves, what’s there are large.

I also used to trim clones back regularly and they did just fine as I used to have a 100% Survivor rate when I bothered with them.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Good point......I’ve done things like this on a limited basis in the past and no issues came from it but it’s a new room, new lights, new everything basically. The biggest leaves have to go, that’s a given. But as you can see, these have a classic indica appearance and although there’s not a ton of leaves, what’s there are large.

I also used to trim clones back regularly and they did just fine as I used to have a 100% Survivor rate when I bothered with them.
I think on the idicas pruning as you go is just kinda needed and if done here and there doesn't affect the plant at all stress wise. Biggest oldest leaves showing less photosynthesis (any signs of not being 100%), any leaves that are stacking or sitting on others, any leafs I can't just push out of the way of a growing tip are what I ha e mostly done as maintenance in flower. If it ain't pulling its weight for the plant.... its gone a little at a time

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

I have always just trimmed up the plants towards the end of the stretch period at the beginning of flower and then just removes a few leaves here and there toward the end of the grow, depending on the strain and what had to be removed, on my orange gasm this grow trimmed about 10 days into flower, removed lower stuff leaves etc. and now at week 5 they are solid full leaf, so I took one out 2 days ago and trimmed the shit out of it, just taking leaf. but i took a lot, I mean a lot. that was 2 days ago the plant responded like a champ, it looks much better, obviously getting much more light down through it, but the thing is, I can actually see bigger bud growth, like a fair bit , compared to the other 9 I didn't do. very well maybe just the strain of plant, but i'm going to do another gasm to see how it reacts,

sshz

sshz

If you remember, I was doing full defoliations every week with the Gasm...... the leaves were growing like crazy for most of the grow. I thought it may have been the co2, but it could well just be the strain. Don't be concerned about removing a lot of stuff, it will grow back. Even Rasta Jeff was hitting his plants almost weekly if you refer back to the podcast

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

If you remember, I was doing full defoliations every week with the Gasm...... the leaves were growing like crazy for most of the grow. I thought it may have been the co2, but it could well just be the strain. Don't be concerned about removing a lot of stuff, it will grow back. Even Rasta Jeff was hitting his plants almost weekly if you refer back to the podcast

Yeah these have way more leaf on them then anything else in my rooms, I bet I stripped 85% of the leaf off of it, I'm going to do another tonight to see if it reacts the same.

sshz

sshz

I'm thinking, over the course the Gasm grow- I stripped all the plants twice and they were still over leafy in the end. I can't remember anything like that in some time.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Some strains, you could take nearly every last leaf it seems. Some strains I’m scared to pluck any.
that’s the value in knowledge of how some react. Live and learn. That gasm looks bushy as hell. The bushier the strain. The less it stresses a good pluck IMO.
still interesting listening to everyone’s timing, as to when it benefits the most, with the least shock.

Porky1982

Porky1982

Finally getting some stretch out of some of the plants........I think I can flower a bit earlier than planned, instead of waiting til 5 weeks thru veg on Friday. I'l also probably move all the taller plants to one side and put the shorter plants to the other side, which will let me move the LED's to an optimum height. These will also need a defoliation sooner rather than later, as there's some big ass leaves blocking tons underneath.

View attachment 1096933
Dam they are short and bushy. Are you running your lights at full power for veg or do you have them dimmed??

Looking nice and healthy as always mate. 👍👍

sfsdfuturegrower

sfsdfuturegrower

Huge shout out to sshz, I joined thcfarm to better follow his grow and my first grow will be done with seeds I won in the Super Bowl contest. I need for my state to finalize our medical law (South Dakota) and will then start my own grow journal.

415C0A76 A155 457F 87B8 20EAC28C9577
sshz

sshz

SFSD...... everything is labeled except the front container in the pic. That was an Ethos giveaway of mixed strains I mentioned earlier in this thread. It's like 6-8 different strains, no way to know what's what though. They looked interesting enough, I kept around 10 for myself. Check back thru this thread, you'll find it. And glad you finally got them- the friggen mail still sucks.

If you need further info on what you received, let me know and I'll help you out. By the way, SFSD REFUSED the gummies, even though he's in the U.S. I'm enjoying them instead. LOL

And store them in the fridge or freezer so they last until you are ready........

Last edited:
sfsdfuturegrower

sfsdfuturegrower

Now I wish i wouldn’t have refused the gummies, I fell off the wagon so to speak, but concentrates are a felony in my state so didn’t want to risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom