Experimental 2KW G13 4' X 8' SCROG

• Thread starter DrFeelGood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DrFeelGood

In my opinion, superthrive does just about as much as roots excel. The roots excel definitely gives it another kick, but I can't decide if it warrants the extra expense. Hard to say, but anyway, DFG, LOVE what you've got going. I just switched to the same type of method, I am loving it so far, and you are killing it with the 4x8 net! I'm doing 2-3 15 gals per 1000w Raptor, haven't gotten quite as big as you've taken it..lol, but it gives me something to shoot for, keep it green!

Very interesting! What concentration are you using of the Superthrive, and during which weeks? Thanks man, wait until you see the other trick I have up my sleeve i think it will make this grow even more ridiculous!

Dr FG

D

DrFeelGood

I wouldnt worry about the roots , they are probably almost at theyr maximum .when are you going to flip is the question . *Looking forward gl . Im getting my diesel plant flipped soon also .

I am waiting until the screen is pretty much full because I have something that I thought of while heavily medicated and weaving the screen the other day. The G13 is still adjusting and hasn't started to stretch quite yet.

Dr FG

E

evmcg

What concentration are you using of the Superthrive, and during which weeks? Thanks man, wait until you see the other trick I have up my sleeve i think it will make this grow even more ridiculous!

What they say for the Superthrive is 1 drop per gallon, I usually use a little more than that, its never too scientific..lol, I just pour a little in the cap of the bottle and go for it. I use it throughout veg at least once a week, and usually through week 5 or 6 of flower. And I can't wait to see what tricks you have! I am running a few Chunky Diesels, a Blue Widow Hashplant, and the rest will be my favorite lady, Bubba Kush.

S

Samurai11

That's one BIG-ASS g13 plant!!!!! :sign0005:

I'm gonna be runnin' some unibomber and reeferman grapefruit soon-
got some beans from a buddy. :) Keep up the good work Doc.

D

DrFeelGood

That's one BIG-ASS g13 plant!!!!! :sign0005:

I'm gonna be runnin' some unibomber and reeferman grapefruit soon-
got some beans from a buddy. :) Keep up the good work Doc.

Thanks for making your first post be on my thread Samurai11! The Reeferman's Grapefruit is great you are going to love it!

Dr FG

C

casmel

I am waiting until the screen is pretty much full because I have something that I thought of while heavily medicated and weaving the screen the other day. The G13 is still adjusting and hasn't started to stretch quite yet.

Dr FG

Yeah , its good to have the shoots bigger and screen full , then bloom it , cos you get more bud sites then and more bud in this situation , you have lots of stems and big root container . So yeah its very reasonable . gl . My diesel is flipped too now so imma get harvest a bit closer than you , ill post pics too then . :fixed:

S

SAPFO

if you read some of the threads around, the best way to scrog is to train the plant into the scrog over the vegging time. seems like alot of people use the word scrog, when they are only supporting the plant with the netting. anyway good luck bro i hope it goes good.
it looks like you cut about 80% percent of the plant away.

So you say weaving is the proper way? I have a lot topple over late in bloom.

Dr, your Skyscrogger thread was one of the ones that made me sign up. I'm in!

B

budseyeveiw

yeah check out the lsd threads and theres a good tutorial on scrog. if you weave and weave then top, the side shoots will be the flowering heads.
not undermining this grow in the slightest as im following the thread fo sure.
but technically there is ''different'' way of scrogging

D

DrFeelGood

Everybody does it a little bit differently. I like to weave it through and create a completely even surface that maximizes the surface area and gives almost perfectly even lighting. Thanks for the compliments, I hope you enjoy my new technique that I am going to employ.

Dr FG

D

DrFeelGood

Multi-Planar Scrogging

Sorry about the delay on updates, but I have been busy with various projects. I have thought of a name for my scrogging experimental technique that I have been working on and I have some pictures to show you. I have not seen anyone using this method before and if anyone has seen this elsewhere please let me know. I definitely would like recognition for this if it increases yield like i think it will and it turns out that this is an original idea that I have come up with. I call it "Multi-Planar Scrogging", and more specifically the "PENTASCROG" with "Penta" denoting that there are 5 planes being scrogged. There are 4 vertical screens attached to the borders of the horizontal screen. They form a five sided box or basket if you will. The reason that I thought of this is I was thinking about the way that I like to scrog by weaving the branches through the screen in order to keep the growth mostly horizontal (for even light coverage and maximum surface area).

One of the problems that I ran into with the Skyscrogger was that it shot up chutes that blocked out the light from the growth at the screen which caused it to produce fluffier medicine in the light-starved areas of the screen. From this experience, and seeing how the various RDWC scrogs of the same strain turned out, I decided that when weaving the screen it is best to cut off the chutes and avoid overcrowding. The plants with uncrowded branches running horizontally produced denser, easier to trim meds, and bigger yields.

In this thought process I realized that it would be advantageous to cut out the center chutes. I also noticed that the colas along the edges of the screens were uncrowded, and grew up vertically forming healthy dense buds. Then this got me thinking about how you are not supposed to be able to yield more than 2 pounds on a single 1000 watt light which optimally has a throw of a 4' X 4' area. The ratio then would be a limit of 2 pounds per 16 square feet, which reduces to 1 pound per 8 square feet. It seems like the 1 pound per 8 square feet limit is accurate and usually only achieved by a skillful grower with the proper strains who uses the sea of green method. However I hypothesize that the limit of yield per 1000 watt lamp can be further maximized by increasing the surface area using my experimental Multi-Planar Scrogging / Pentascrog method.

This math is all for the 8' by 4' G13 scrog, and I have added a 1 foot tall border that runs around the perimeter. The 4' X 8' screen has a surface area of 32 square feet which would have a maximum yield of 4 pounds by conventional methods. Now add in the 1' tall border with a total surface area of (1' X 4') X 6 panels = 24 additional square feet of surface area. This could increase the yield by the same percentage that the surface area increased assuming that they are directly related. This would make the theoretical maximum yield go up by 24/32 = 75% to a theoretical maximum of 4 X 1.75 = 7 pounds.

Now the best yield that I have gotten with a single plant under 1 KW in a 4' X 4' screen so far is 1.6 pounds (this was a plant that had solely horizontal uncrowded growth), so I am going to use that ratio to calculate what I believe is my realistic maximum achievable yield for a single plant in the 4' X 8' G13 Pentascrog. 1.6 X 2 lights X 1.75 = 5.6 pounds realistically assuming that the relationship between surface area and yield is in fact direct.

Now for the coolest part- if this technique is used with a single plant in a 4' X 4' screen under 1 KW the theoretical yield actually increases by a higher percentage, it doubles! A 4' X 4' screen has a surface area of 16 square feet and with the 1' tall border on all four sides it increases by (1' X 4') X 4 panels = 16 square feet, an increase of 100%! This means the theoretical max for this surface area is 4 pounds, and a realistic maximum for a single light Pentascrog would be 2 X 1.6 = 3.2 pounds. Of course this will require either a longer veg time, a very stretchy, probably Sativa dominant strain, or perhaps both. :evilgrin0040::anim_09:

By the way I chose the border height of 1' because you have to be able to reach the center of the screen.

Personal note (Proof once again that it is good to share!): Through being baked on ISS, and explaining my rationalizations and calculations, I just now realized that it would be a great idea to add one more vertical screen2' x 4' screen that will bisect the 4' x 8' screen. This panel will be shared by the two lights so realistically I can only count it as an increase for one of the lights, but it is still an increase in total surface area for the single plant of 8 more square feet. This gives a new total surface area of 64 square feet and a theoretical max yield of 64 square feet X (1 pound/8 square feet) = 8 pounds. This this gives a realistic potential maximum yield of 64 square feet X (.8 pound/8 square feet) = a full 6.4 pounds. I can put this bisecting screen in there solely because there is a light on both sides and this will leave nothing in the shadow when the chutes run up the screen.

This means for the G13 is now officially going to be a HEXASCROG. I will attach the one remaining 2' vertical screen tomorrow after I wake up. I will not have to reach over this screen at all and the center chutes are just waiting to start running up the screen while the rest fills in. These are all theoretical numbers and they assume that the relationship is direct (linear) between surface area and yield, but one thing is for sure it will increase yield. You could even put taller screens on sides that are not ones that you have to reach over for any reason. Also I suspect this technique will work best for people using wide dispersion/ throw hoods such as the Magnum XXXL because light will reach higher on the sides and allow higher side screens. I will try the technique here under these hoods and possibly under the XXXL Magnums we use on the RDWC scrog.

I will post more pics soon once I attach the center vertical screen.

DR FeelGood:bongsmi:

Pentascrog 001
Pentascrog 002
Pentascrog 003
St3ve

St3ve

You sir are a super nerd.. and I like it. I can not wait to watch things progress.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it all out and good luck!

phenotyper

phenotyper

WOW. I love how you have her all caged up. Almost ready for the flip?

Edit: I love the idea of adding a different screen but mainly, I wonder if it is worth it. At first, it sounds like a great idea because of the additional square footage. However, I think you should probably consider the fact that the 1KW lights overlap, providing a lot more lumens to the majority of the canopy. By bisecting that, aren't you taking the chance of more yield at the cost of potentially larfier buds? Not a statement, just something up for discussion.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Now that is what I call scrog! Damn props to you man. Good luck with it...

-nugzz

D

DrFeelGood

WOW. I love how you have her all caged up. Almost ready for the flip?

Edit: I love the idea of adding a different screen but mainly, I wonder if it is worth it. At first, it sounds like a great idea because of the additional square footage. However, I think you should probably consider the fact that the 1KW lights overlap, providing a lot more lumens to the majority of the canopy. By bisecting that, aren't you taking the chance of more yield at the cost of potentially larfier buds? Not a statement, just something up for discussion.

In my RDWC SCROG I did not notice any major difference between the buds that were forming in areas that were forming at either end of the four light row and the ones that formed under the areas in between lights that were getting hit with two lights. The hugest differences were whether or not the buds were overshadowed by top chutes, and whether or not the branches were woven together too closely causing overcrowding. Also the Skyscrogger only yielded slightly over 1.5 pound with two lights overlapping each other and entirely on one plant. I hit and beat that number on multiple single plants under single lights in the RDWC SCROG. All of the buds that end up on the bisecting screen will be getting hit with light from both sides which is part of the reason I want to make it run higher to 2', I want to see how high up on the bisecting screen I can get good dense development for experimental purposes. I have noticed that in veg I have had plants grow up to the light and grow around the hood and up above it. When they do this the growth above the hood ends up normal although the growth hitting the glass is both getting burnt and blocking light.

I am planning to flip once the main screen is full and let it fill out the remaining of the vertical borders as it adjusts itself into flower.

Dr FG

D

DrFeelGood

You sir are a super nerd.. and I like it. I can not wait to watch things progress.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it all out and good luck!

Thank you, I do have a little bit of a mad scientist side that likes to come out and play once in a while bwahahahaha :evilgrin0040: ! I like to think outside of the box... I could be completely wrong which I do not think I am but we will find out through this experiment. This could be a great breakthrough, but if nothing else I should have at least provided some worthwhile original entertainment for a few folks :-)

Dr FG

D

DrFeelGood

Now that is what I call scrog! Damn props to you man. Good luck with it...

-nugzz

Thanks NUGZZ! Lets see what happens. I am just gathering information and learning from my data and observations at this point to refine my technique and improve efficiency. It should prove to be educational...

Dr FG

D

DrFeelGood

After taking a quick measurement I am only going to make the bisecting screen 1.5' tall which reduces the total surface area by 2 square feet and the theoretical maximum yield is now 7.75 lb and the realistic potential maximum yield is 6.2 lb. I will put the bisecting screen in later tonight and post some pictures.

Dr FG

D

DrFeelGood

The 1.5' X 4' bisecting screen has been installed... Here are some pictures of it.

Dr FG

Bisected 001
Bisected 002
Bisected 003
Bisected 004
Top Bottom