Expert Seeds "Sweet Zombie" under 2 Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..............

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Odiesel

Odiesel

Alex......plant spectrum for $100!

The CO2 bags have been useless, since I've had the exhaust on almost all the time. There is negative pressure in the room as I have to yank on the door to open it.

The Orange Gasm were slightly taller because they were 85% sativa......this one is 95% indica. Total opposites. But, at this point, I'm not discounting anything.

But in the end, I don't care why........ results are all that really matters to me.

I'm more worried now about yesterday's late defoliation and how these plants will react to it. They are definitely slower growers than the O.G.
I dont think you should be too worried about the defoliation and im sure they will respond very well to it.

sshz

sshz

It's probably a bit later than I wanted to do it, considering how much I removed............. day 21 in flowering. I'll review it in a week, and let's see how they look.

Dopey28

Dopey28

I dont think that 1930 would work better than the 1700e simply because how wide the 1700e is it can hit both sides of the plant.the dimming the light might get you some height growth sshz..

My understanding is the 1700e like the sypdr 2 were designed with vertical farming in mind. I know osram suggests 6” spacing and co2 as ideal setup. I’m thinking the 1930 is being marketed as more of a direct replacement for hps. Especially given the wording in the promotional material “convert a facility is days not weeks” ie. just swap these instead of converting to vertical farming?

sshz

sshz

Forgot to mention........... I was in the room tonight counting branches again. MY numbers yesterday were way off. Most plants were in the 24-26 branch range, I thought it was lower. The Orange Gasm's were in the 12-16 branches, these have way more........BUT, I didn't lolipop these like I did the last crop so most likely, that most of the difference.

Madmax

Madmax

Forgot to mention........... I was in the room tonight counting branches again. MY numbers yesterday were way off. Most plants were in the 24-26 branch range, I thought it was lower. The Orange Gasm's were in the 12-16 branches, these have way more........BUT, I didn't lolipop these like I did the last crop so most likely, that most of the difference.
Man thats alot..too busy making branches than going upwards ha..

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
The new light's were well worth it IMO, much better intensity for sure. Your stuff is looking great as always.

So I'm in like 2nd week of flower now with these. I'm doing what you suggested earlier which is to put them onto the floor and let them "grow" into the lights. I've lowered them to the 65,000->75,000 lux range. I've also been using the UVB lights on and off in 15 min intervals a few times per day, trying to get them acclimated.

Do you think that's too low? Have you been tracking your intensity outputs?

Hope they don't stretch too much. Been doing lots of training to keep them low and level. I think I'm at around day 45 from seed here. I've got 2 plants in this 5 gallon cloth pot actually. Last time, they were a bit too thick maybe, so some streching might help them from having any issues related to becoming overly fat, which is a good problem to have, LOL

But that's a lot of space between them lights and the canopy. Please advise.

IMG 20201118 210429
IMG 20201118 235247
IMG 20201118 210510
Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

LOL I've never grown mushrooms but I've kind of always wanted too, everybody used to be able to order them from The High Times magazine I don't know if that's possible anymore

I think you're saying they cost $25 per unit and their I believe 30 watts each. Too bad the watts are so low per bulb I've been using to 41 Watts UV LEDs I don't know how well they work yet cuz I just started the switch over!. Like my normal t fives are 54 Watts from what I understand more watts the brighter light the LED UV light tubes on buying like tubes I'm buying slowly but surely to replace my T5 fluorescents are 41 Watts with a one year warranty but they also cost $39 Plus tax most of my fixtures hold 6 bulbs so it's going to take a while I've already had to take two of the UV LEDs back one burned out and the other one burned up literally

54 watts and very powerful. They should start low and max out at about 15 min per hour on time. I have not used them yet. They are extremely high in UVB. Something you cannot get from LEDs

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Burnz sunrise and sunset are options on a lot of controllers. I use the trolmaster and it has that option as well. Kind of interesting they have came out with this like. It uses 120 more watts than the 1700e. It is less efficient than the 1700e. I am picking up some 1700e today after work for a new grow.
Looks like with more Umols and less efficient they are probably using some LED's and equipment that while less efficient do provide a spectrum that is closer to HPS.
IR diodes are less efficient. Maybe they added them?

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
They already had IR diodes, that's what the Osram's 660's are for, they might have changed the footprint, or perhaps there adding in UV, which would also be much less efficient, that would be my guess. Unless they've tried to add something from the far IR, which would be like closer too 700 nm.

TBH, I don't think adding UV diodes are going to have the same intensity than something like these agromax lights, seems like the florescent technology is kinda made for this range of wavelength.

NewWorld

NewWorld

Migro got a UVB fitting for sale for £80. Apparently you only use it last 2 weeks of flower. 1 hour a day. It makes the plant create THC. It the plants natural defense against UVB. So 1 hour a day max or you can damage the plants. Also UVB slows growth so you only do in in the last 2 weeks. UVR is ultraviolet rays/radiation. It a general term for UVA, UVB and UVC combined. Although in LED you can guarantee its almost completely UVA. As UVB LED's are poor and insanely expensive. Would cost about £15k to fill a bar the size you got. UVA can slow stretching, combined with infrared it can increase yields. If your not supplementing infantred then personally I dont see the point. Unless the fitting you have contain a lot of far red. Far red causes the plant to stretch, can make them lanky. If you havent been having a problem with lanky plants, then like I said I cant see how UVA will help. Them selling the lights ad UVR is a marketing trick. They can describe what UVR does. But as I mentioned UVR is UVA/B/C. Its UVB that increases plant potency. I'm going to add UVB lighting on my next grow. Probably migros. Will only buy one fitting and move it around my tent being it only needs to be on for a hour. I looked at supplementing UVA and far red but it's hard to work the correct t ratios out. To much far red will lead to lanky plants with no extra yield. To much UVA will suppress growth. A small amount out of UVA is good as white LEDs dont create any. Where HIDs do create some UVA. As your buying all from the same company I'm guessing theyve worked out the exact ratios needed. Cant see them making something thatll damage the plants.

GrowingFather received two of the new Gavita UV fixtures and it was his grow area you are looking at, not mine.....LOL

I'm so friggin confused by it all now, I may not do anything in the short term. I'm seeing some nice UVB fixtures for $250-$300 each, but I need to do more research.

The point remains though........, I can produce high quality product with superb weight, as proven by the last crop so I'm not overly concerned with adding them at this point. If I was growing for my own stash I'd be more apt to do it, but for the masses, they probably won't even know the difference.

NewWorld

NewWorld

They already had IR diodes, that's what the Osram's 660's are for, they might have changed the footprint, or perhaps there adding in UV, which would also be much less efficient, that would be my guess. Unless they've tried to add something from the far IR, which would be like closer too 700 nm.

TBH, I don't think adding UV diodes are going to have the same intensity than something like these agromax lights, seems like the florescent technology is kinda made for this range of wavelength.
Agromax has good UVB output

sshz

sshz

So, regarding these............

AgroMax Pure UV T5 Bulb – 4 Foot
$27.95

The AgroMax Pure UV T5 provides your garden with a concentrated blast of UV-A and UV-B spectrum light. Indoor plants, by virtue of being grown under artificial light, have little to no exposure to UV in traditional setups. In many plant species, exposure to UV-B light will significantly boost and cause changes in phenolic compounds, flavonoid pigments, resins, oils, etc.
– Fits all 4 ft. High Output T5 Fixtures, F54T5HO Lamp Type
– 75% UV-B, 25% UV-A output
– 1 year warranty

1. How long do the bulbs last?
2. What's their coverage area?
3. At what height are they placed?
4. Is one light fixture recommended over another?
5. Are there other, "safer" options?
5. Anything else should I be asking?

sshz

sshz

And here' an article on why you SHOULD include UV-A when growing under LED's..........

).

sshz

sshz

Regarding the above article, I keep thinking about why Gavita would produce a UV-A LED to use with their 1700e's.......... it's easy to write it off as a marketing ploy, and it may well be- but I have a lot of respect for their stuff and based on the 1700e's, there are probably specific reasons they produce it. I'm going to email my contact there and ask for some more specific info.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Regarding the above article, I keep thinking about why Gavita would produce a UV-A LED to use with their 1700e's.......... it's easy to write it off as a marketing ploy, and it may well be- but I have a lot of respect for their stuff and based on the 1700e's, there are probably specific reasons they produce it. I'm going to email my contact there and ask for some more specific info.
Fwiw https://www.blackdogled.com/blog/which-is-better-uva-or-uvb/

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So, regarding these............

AgroMax Pure UV T5 Bulb – 4 Foot
$27.95

The AgroMax Pure UV T5 provides your garden with a concentrated blast of UV-A and UV-B spectrum light. Indoor plants, by virtue of being grown under artificial light, have little to no exposure to UV in traditional setups. In many plant species, exposure to UV-B light will significantly boost and cause changes in phenolic compounds, flavonoid pigments, resins, oils, etc.
– Fits all 4 ft. High Output T5 Fixtures, F54T5HO Lamp Type
– 75% UV-B, 25% UV-A output
– 1 year warranty

1. How long do the bulbs last?
2. What's their coverage area?
3. At what height are they placed?
4. Is one light fixture recommended over another?
5. Are there other, "safer" options?
5. Anything else should I be asking?

1. I would think several years. As the hours they are run is very low compared to say other UV lamps that may run 12-18hra a day typically about 1yr life these run nowhere near as long.

2/3. It will depend on exposure time you use and height you have. At 4 feet they will cover a 4x4 and I would start about 5 min per hr and work up. At 2 feet they would cover 2x4 and I would literally start with 1 min per hr.

I have not yet used these so I can't say from experience but u will send you a pm. You absolutely want to little over to much cause these can fry plants fast. So start small and work up.

4. Need a High Output t5 fixture. Of course the better the reflectors the less wasted light. I used the sunblaster cheapos.

5. Many safer options as the higher uvb output the more dangerous. Because of the amounts of UVB. The attractive part for me is because of the massive amounts produced i can run this bulb far less than other increasing the life by a very significant amount and less cost to run power wise.

6. Ideal grow phase to run them.... jury is still out. I plan to run last few weeks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The UVA may increase photosynthesis kinda like an Emerson effect but the opposite side of the spectrum. New evidence shows that UVA and to a point UVB works codependently with blue light. Remove one or the other and you loose that effect.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter

6. Ideal grow phase to run them.... jury is still out. I plan to run last few weeks.
Fwiw, and i don't think it's worth much, i have had them off for a few days after hitting them hard early. Plan to do just a couple shorter shots in the days leading up to cut.

Just my feel after having been on this UV ride a second time now. But this is with a much, much weaker fixture (lizard bulb).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom