Eye damage from lighting?

• Thread starter singingcrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Nice info whazzup. You guys are still missing something, and it's something big, right in front of us now, looks to be about 825nm, and it's the most intense part of the bulb's spectrum. Thing is we can't see it, but it's still giving us cataracts and retinal damage if we don't wear the right glasses. No offense, go read.

generalgrievous

generalgrievous

Like i said ..the m7's rock ..and i look like t888 terminator working in my rooms...

Cerebro ..i love your avatar...

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

100% uva and uvb protection is the most possible. Available at wally world pretty cheap. Foster Grants at 20 bucks high for me.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Dood, you're stoned and keep saying the same thing. Guess what? Some of us did the research and realized we're frying our eyes with just sunglasses on. And some of us had a stinking feeling that was the case just by how our eyes feel, wearing sunglasses. Others of us who've tried shade-green welders aren't happy with the shitty color filtration and inability to see our plants well. Now gee, wonder why anyone would be interested in trying something better?

Oh and by the way, you're wrong.

neverbreak

neverbreak

better safe than sorry. 1000w lights are not dim. if it hurts your eyes to stare at them, then they're doing ya damage. be smart and don't compromise ya health because of funds or idiots on the internet telling ya otherwise.

neverbreak

ttystikk

ttystikk

For those concerned about IR, this is relatively low energy... otherwise, staring at campfires would cause eye damage. Intense heat sources are another story, because these generally bring other spectra into play. UVC is blocked by the glass envelopes around the bulbs themselves; the mfrs. are required to do this or their lights would be unsafe to be around at all.

ttystikk

ttystikk

If it hurts your eyes to stare at your lights, don't stare at your lights dude, or any of you. If you stare at your plants, the ambient light is okay. One might argue that staring at a 1000w light is idiotic instead of someone saying don't stare at 1000w light. Even when I'm driving east to my job in the morning it is more brutal then I ever experienced in grow room. Of course I don't stare at lights. You might get a sunburn on the back of your head, but thats another story.

To reiterate without all the reading. Don't stare at lights. Not even 100w table lamp. If your goal is to stare at lights, by all means invest in expensive eye protection, goobs.

This logic is acceptable only in the (soon to be blind) eyes of an idiot. The obvious fact that 'schultz' is so painfully ignoring is that light is entering our eyes all the time, whether we're looking at the source or not. Ever seen someone with sunburned eyes? Pretty safe bet that person wasn't staring at the sun! More likely, s/he was simply stupid enough not to wear sunglasses in a high glare environment, like snow, or water. OR A GROWROOM.

Before saying something really stupid, it might pay to think a little first, schultz. Otherwise, someone gullible might believe your dumb ass and end up hurting themselves. I wouldn't pick on you like this except over a matter of personal safety and the longevity of people's eyesight.

I mean, WOW, dude- get your facts straight before you shoot from the lip in a safety thread?!?

jollycuntstable

jollycuntstable

Hi folks,

Went to the optician today for an eye exam and he said I have degenerative vision in my eyes with some loss of light penetration. Apparently the light is being difused rather than my eyes using available light. He said this is from damage from being in the sun and asked if I spent a lot of time outdoors.

Has anyone else had eye damage from indoor lights? I spend a bit of time everyday under my 1000W HPS bulb in my grow tent. I don't exactly stare up at the vent and fixture, but it is hella bright in there, as we all know.

Any and all information gratefully read! Thanks! Lisa
yes i can agree!!...suffered eye damage from growing...using 1.2kw for 3.5 years i never knew i had done some damage....its very similar to AMD ... slight blurred vision...and no cure...and glasses DONT work....always wear PROTECTION :)

ttystikk

ttystikk

As I said above, any protection is better than none, and for $4.97, you can get Berkeley brand wraparound sunglasses at Walmart's sporting goods section. They're UVA and UVB, glare reducing and polarized- sold specifically for looking into water to see fish, a high glare application if ever there was one.

I'm not saying these are the best, but I AM saying everyone can afford $5.00 for sunglasses- and it's dumb not to wear at least these in your growroom. Sure, if you can afford better, get them...

One more point; HID lighting is not the only culprit! CFL puts out plenty of UV light- it's how they work! And LED is also high in UV, and possibly the worst for your eyes out of this whole group. Why? Because the light spectrum is so focused, your eyes remain dilated, letting in even more of the damaging rays.

cephalopoda

cephalopoda

oi always avoid looking at the lights when it go check on my plants. pretty sketchy about eye damage from them as theyre so bright

ttystikk

ttystikk

oi always avoid looking at the lights when it go check on my plants. pretty sketchy about eye damage from them as theyre so bright

So wear sunglasses- just not looking at lights is no way to avoid damage. $5 at Walmart in the sports section. Seriously...

generalgrievous

generalgrievous

Being under the t5's seem to cause the most instant pain...

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

As I said above, any protection is better than none, and for $4.97, you can get Berkeley brand wraparound sunglasses at Walmart's sporting goods section. They're UVA and UVB, glare reducing and polarized- sold specifically for looking into water to see fish, a high glare application if ever there was one.

I'm not saying these are the best, but I AM saying everyone can afford $5.00 for sunglasses- and it's dumb not to wear at least these in your growroom. Sure, if you can afford better, get them...

One more point; HID lighting is not the only culprit! CFL puts out plenty of UV light- it's how they work! And LED is also high in UV, and possibly the worst for your eyes out of this whole group. Why? Because the light spectrum is so focused, your eyes remain dilated, letting in even more of the damaging rays.

Exactly the point I was making in post 40 and 43 in this thread. Was trying to inform masses they don't need 200 and 400 buck glasses. My Foster Grants are 100% uva and 100% percent uvb for 20 bucks. No Matter how much money you spend, you can't beat 100%. No such thing as 110% no matter how many times people say it. 20 bucks or less. Welding goggles (LOL) and 200.00 glasses unneccessary any think that is bad advice for the masses. Over and out.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Exactly the point I was making in post 40 and 43 in this thread. Was trying to inform masses they don't need 200 and 400 buck glasses. My Foster Grants are 100% uva and 100% percent uvb for 20 bucks. No Matter how much money you spend, you can't beat 100%. No such thing as 110% no matter how many times people say it. 20 bucks or less. Welding goggles (LOL) and 200.00 glasses unneccessary any think that is bad advice for the masses. Over and out.
fucking idiot rides again..

K

kayawoman

wow didnt realize that my lights cud cuase eye damage. better start wearing my sunglasses in there! they filter out uv rays so figure they should be ok.

B

Badmf

Common man seriously, protect your eyes with the best uva/uvb glasses you can afford outdoors as well. Be smart not a smart azz. wraparounds are best.

O

organiclover

welding glasses can be bought at grainger for about $17
this is not a joke - people on other forums have really screwed up their eyesight in vert rooms without protection
crack all the jokes you want or go spend $17 and save your eyes - its up to you

Y

yayarea

I would look into the $25 pair posted earlier in this thread. I have the m7s, and they are amazing, but I think the added price is for their stylish look an high end construction. I believe they both serve the same purpose.

outwest
I have the $25 lumii glasses, IMO they are good as far as true color but the lenses are not dark enough for vertical lighting. Does anyone know if the method7 glasses are okay for vertical lighting? ttystikk the $5 dollar glasses you talk about are they pretty dark?

Top Bottom