Face Off BX2

• Thread starter MakinGoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MakinGoo

MakinGoo

You're right on with that. I only grow in Coco and I use RO. 5ML of Cal/Mag Minimum. When I first use Coco, I use 7ML, then switch to 5ML. I tried using 2.5ML and my plants went to hell. Goo you need to try Rootamentary! It's bomb! Only 0.25ML per gallon, same company but works better than Seagreen on seedlings and very small plants.
I juss went threw 6 tiny Lil bottles of that stuff.. I really liked it but I'm out & have a few other different root samples I will add every now & then..

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

wonder why my plants stay so nice and green in coco with no cal mag. :-)
Yea same here I've juss added some calmag early when plants r small..then most of my strains don't need any more.. I juss run calmag early b'cuz Jack said never run plain RO water threw coco so I add some calmag so it ain't plain RO water.. I've completed whole grows with out any extra calmag.. But with 1/2 my tent being True OG I'm using calmag every now & then.. Still my true og asks 4 more so I'm gunna bump her up to 7ml per gal

N

nightmarecreature

wonder why my plants stay so nice and green in coco with no cal mag. :)
What nutes do you use? I use House & Garden and my plants, the OG's mainly go shit without 5ml of Cal/Mag. I noticed since I bumped up the Cal/Mag no more red stems even when my leafs were green and perfect. Now my stems are completely green. This is a great video on Coco and mag.

N

nightmarecreature

Can't believe this guy is recommending 200ppm Cal & Mg plus another 100 ppm Mg!

Most formulas call for what, 60 total?
It worked for me! No more red or purple streaks, better yields. He's talking about 200ppm for coco and 300ppm for coco and RO water.200ppm works out to about 5ml and 300ppm about 7ml of Botanicare Cal/Mag. My non OG strains do fine with just base nutes. My OGs however love the 5ml of cal/mag.
Just because your leaves are green does not mean you don't have a magnesium deficiency.

N

nightmarecreature

I use H&G cocos A&B nutes. I called them up months ago and they told me that some growers are having magnesium problems with their line of nutes but they also said some growers are not having any magnesium problems. This leads me to believe it is strain dependant. I use 5mls anyways because it is cheap insurance. Because of the Magnesium problem they are in the works making a Magnesium additive. House & Garden nutes contains plenty of Calcium in their base nutes.

By using enough magnesium, I can spot a defiency a whole lot easier.
Say you have red streaks on the stems.
5ml magnesium CHECK
Calcium CHECK starts out looking like rust spots.
Nitrogen deficiency is easy to spot and starts out with lower leaves yellowing. N deficiency can cause red stems. CHECK
All that is left is P and K for red stems, which makes it easier to solve the problem.
What I'm saying is that by using Cal/Mag it makes it easier to diagnose a deficiency even before it starts. Your plant might look great but red or purple stems is a sign before a leaf yellows or the deficiency actually shows itself.

N

nightmarecreature

if all you need is magnesium, then have you tried just using epsom salt?

Yes. I use to fill 1 gallon of water and add epsom salts till I measured 200ppm. I no longer use Magnesium Sulfate because the sulfate KILLS your beneficial microbes. I just use Botanicare Cal/Mag and lots of bennies.

The Mag thing mainly refers to Coco+RO water+ OG Kush.

619ster

619ster

Yes. I use to fill 1 gallon of water and add epsom salts till I measured 200ppm. I no longer use Magnesium Sulfate because the sulfate KILLS your beneficial microbes. I just use Botanicare Cal/Mag and lots of bennies.

The Mag thing mainly refers to Coco+RO water+ OG Kush.
Doesn't the Botanicare Calmag kill bennies too? I doubt the sulfate does it. It's more on the Iron EDTa from what I've researched. Maybe try using Cali Magic. Better choice IMO.

N

nightmarecreature

If you don't have purple or red stems then your just fine. Look how green the stem is on my Fire OG cut. 99% of the time when I pick up clones, they have red and purple stems. The stems should be almost nearly green or green.
IMG 1291

N

nightmarecreature

IMG 1292
IMG 1294
Doesn't the Botanicare Calmag kill bennies too? I doubt the sulfate does it. It's more on the Iron EDTa from what I've researched. Maybe try using Cali Magic. Better choice IMO.

Sulfur is a fungicide. It also kills bacteria. Yes! Epsom salts do kill bennies. Cal/Mag and Cali Magic are fine to use. Epsom salt foot soaks kill athletes foot. Sulfur at 0.20% is not very much at all but yet it will kill fungus.

619ster

619ster

I'm confused now. I don't know a whole lot about organics, but I know sulfur is essential to plant health. I know the sell Epsom Salts for "organic" gardening purposes as well. But I won't lie, don't know the difference between sulfur and sulfate. That gets in to chemistry.

Yer gettin Lil bit off topic there Nightmare;)
Yea a bit, but you can expect that in Goo's threads lol. But honestly, this is an OG thread, and I feel the discussion is based on keeping OG's happy. I'm sure the information would be helpful to those who may choose to grow these (or any) OG beans, and it would certainly come in handy to know that OG's need plenty Mag to perform to their fullest. Just IMO though. Nothing but respect here!

N

nightmarecreature

Magnesium Sulfate is Magnesium Sulfate.

"Ultra Epsom® Salt is the highest quality, pharmaceutical grade Epsom salt available. Ultra Epsom Salt is ideal for use in a variety of applications, including home, spa, and garden."

I took two years of Chemistry but I can't remember everything. Sulfur alone is insoluble in water. Sulfate is soluble in water. That's all you really need to know about the two. Yes, your plants do need some Sulfur. How much exactly, I don't know but it's not much. That's why they call it a trace mineral and Botanicare Cal/Mag contains trace minerals.

Just try running 5-7ml's per gallon of Cal/Mag and look at your red stems fade after a few days. That's if you have red stems.

619ster

619ster

Magnesium Sulfate is Magnesium Sulfate.

"Ultra Epsom® Salt is the highest quality, pharmaceutical grade Epsom salt available. Ultra Epsom Salt is ideal for use in a variety of applications, including home, spa, and garden."

I took two years of Chemistry but I can't remember everything. Sulfur alone is insoluble in water. Sulfate is soluble in water. That's all you really need to know about the two. Yes, your plants do need some Sulfur. How much exactly, I don't know but it's not much.

Just try running 5-7ml's per gallon of Cal/Mag and look at your red stems fade after a few days. That's if you have red stems.
I've never grown a clone-only OG, but I've ran many OG dom phenos from seed, most noteable ones being Wifi, and Alien Rock Candy. Both I was able to keep VERY happy with base nutes and no cal-mag, grown in coco. Coco is my favorite medium. The Wifi sure did look like it could've used a tad bit of cal-mag, but I feed light so could've been that too. I only use nutes that are complete in everything I feel cannabis needs though. Was using Dyna Gro Foliage Pro (9-3-6 and its a base nutrient not foliage spray) on both Wifi and ARC, and both did fine without extra cal-mag, although I did use occasionally just out of habit (I'm used to adding it with coco and LEDs). But once I switched to Veg+Bloom, I've been using just that with no additives and the ARC (Wifi is gone now) thrives just fine. I think most nutes are usually just low in cal-mag for what cannabis requires. Helps the cal-mag sales! :) But Dyna Gro, Veg+Bloom, and Jacks Hydro w/ Cal-Nit are boss (and complete)! As far as synthetic nutes are concerned at least.

Latest posts

Top Bottom