Fan Leaves Removal During Flowering

• Thread starter Nukesrt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Definitely Makes harvesting easier when there's half as much yield to harvest lol
I'm glad there wasn't twice as much. Don't know what I'd do with it all, like I said personal use for me and my wife.

Last harvest was 4 plants and yielded a scoch better than 7 lbs dry.

B

BroScience101

I'm glad there wasn't twice as much. Don't know what I'd do with it all, like I said personal use for me and my wife.

Last harvest was 4 plants and yielded a scoch better than 7 lbs dry.

You're trying to tell me this is almost a 2lb plant https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/cost-of-nutrition-upkeep-in-rdwc.121186/#post-2523426

Edit: it's safe to say that @waayne was the best grower to ever be on this website, and he had 2 lb indoor trees after a 6-8 week veg however his colas were the size of small children

img_4343-jpg.405852

img_4024-jpg.352463

img_4552-jpg.409853

Last edited:
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

You're trying to tell me this is almost a 2lb plant https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/cost-of-nutrition-upkeep-in-rdwc.121186/#post-2523426

Edit: it's safe to say that @waayne was the best grower to ever be on this website, and he had 2 lb indoor trees after a 6-8 week veg however his colas were the size of small children

img_4343-jpg.405852

img_4024-jpg.352463

img_4552-jpg.409853

Aqua man asked the same about 2 months ago in a thread

To defoliate or not to defoliate?

Im not sure how to link a thread but the pictures and scale weights are all there

Last edited:
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Re: removing fan leaves during flower

Here's an older foursome before I went the defoliation way. Mind you different room, window ac, 2, 1000 wt hps in a room 7x10 rdwc on 30" centers. 16 oz dry per.

Does it affect yield?
I don't know but it sure makes harvest easier with a bowl trimmer and drying nets. It's mostly going to get squished anyways.

Remember I'm mostly flying by the seat of my pants.

20190513 102417
MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
are your comments neccessary?

If you want to learn from people who have more knowledge in the first joint of their pinkie fingers (left hand) than you do in your entire being, you might pull up a chair and allow people who know to shower you in knowledge you arent going to gain from the Google. Everyone here is attempting to help you.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Re: removing fan leaves during flower

Here's an older foursome before I went the defoliation way. Mind you different room, window ac, 2, 1000 wt hps in a room 7x10 rdwc on 30" centers. 16 oz dry per.

Does it affect yield?
I don't know but it sure makes harvest easier with a bowl trimmer and drying nets. It's mostly going to get squished anyways.

Remember I'm mostly flying by the seat of my pants.

Imo your grow style dictates that have have to defoliate. Tall plants, HPS/MH set up. Light penetration exponentially decreases the taller the plant is. In this case? Absolute necessity. I'll bet if you did an 8 to 12 cola mainline per plant you could get half the height and as much if not more yield.

The OP appears to be in a limited space grow tent on LEDs. And it appears hes gone mainline or lst. I'd focus on the canopy, strip the undergrowth, and leave the rest alone. If the bud is worth keeping on the plant, then the top of that branch will bust through the canopy line. If not I remove the entire branch so the plant can focus growth in the canopy.

But that's me. Every set up is different. All the circumstances have variants. And as everyone in this thread knows, there's more than 1 way to skin this cat. As long as the end result is dank bud then it's been done right... to some extent lol :)

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Soybean defoliation test

"defoliation caused a significant yield reduction (15‐70%) in all cultivars; this yield reduction was greater for Dunbar than the other two cultivars. In both years, yields were directly related to the light interception capacity of soybean canopies after defoliation."
I've grown soy beans in fields ranging from 20 acres to over 100 acres and I've grown cannabis indoors.

Hardly a comparison. Imo

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Imo your grow style dictates that have have to defoliate. Tall plants, HPS/MH set up. Light penetration exponentially decreases the taller the plant is. In this case? Absolute necessity. I'll bet if you did an 8 to 12 cola mainline per plant you could get half the height and as much if not more yield.

The OP appears to be in a limited space grow tent on LEDs. And it appears hes gone mainline or lst. I'd focus on the canopy, strip the undergrowth, and leave the rest alone. If the bud is worth keeping on the plant, then the top of that branch will bust through the canopy line. If not I remove the entire branch so the plant can focus growth in the canopy.

But that's me. Every set up is different. All the circumstances have variants. And as everyone in this thread knows, there's more than 1 way to skin this cat. As long as the end result is dank bud then it's been done right... to some extent lol :)
Good post, different styles of growing and different reasons why

a4twenty

a4twenty

When you post a controversial subject such as this you’ll get very passionate butt hurt individuals.
Some no what there talking about some think they no what there talking about and some just want to argue about what there talking about.
Twists and turns but at the end of the day it’s to each there own and grow styles, when it comes to there grow style. There’s no rite or wrong when your dealing with someone’s personal grow and defoliation. What’s rite for you might not be rite for me or visa verse:)

sums it up perfectly.

if you have tried this method and give an opinion, its your own. if you've never tried it and give an opinion, it's someone else's. that doesn't necessarily make it invalid,, neither does it invalidate someone's real life experience.

i wonder what kind of response the first person who tried LST, HST, super cropping etc, etc would have received if the internet was around?

if people want to post info for comparisons, try to compare an apple to an apple not a rutabaga.

and a bit of off topic advice that can help in real life and not just on forums. as soon as you resort condensing and smart ass remarks people tune you out and your message gets ignored.

happy growing everyone

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
sums it up perfectly.

if you have tried this method and give an opinion, its your own. if you've never tried it and give an opinion, it's someone else's. that doesn't necessarily make it invalid,, neither does it invalidate someone's real life experience.

i wonder what kind of response the first person who tried LST, HST, super cropping etc, etc would have received if the internet was around?

if people want to post info for comparisons, try to compare an apple to an apple not a rutabaga.

and a bit of off topic advice that can help in real life and not just on forums. as soon as you resort condensing and smart ass remarks people tune you out and your message gets ignored.

happy growing everyone

And that right there is exactly what separates the older crowd from those who weren't alive before the internet was.

My mentor's name was Alan. When you walked into his backyard, everything seemed normal. Until you took a very close look at a short what appeared to be a vining shrub that followed his privacy fence line at no more than 2 feet in height.

That was the early 90's. It was stunning to me. Never had seen anyone do that before. But then again he was teaching me bonsai techniques in desert roses before we moved to cannabis.

So the answer is... the reaction was amazement and surprise that plants could be trained to do that.

It's pretty uh different to watch techniques go into play, in circumstances where it can be better served elsewhere, that have previously been tried and discarded as a constant be all end all instead of something that is used selectively, when appropriate.

Top Bottom