Fan Leaves Removal During Flowering

• Thread starter Nukesrt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

schwazzing weed then running it through shredders and claiming that makes your weed top shelf? All done with way overcrowded clones. Yield would be better in standard sog. I urge everyone to do there own side by side comparison.

Yeah never got great vibes from the 3 a light guys, never tried their product so I cannot comment on the quality. But I have nothing but respect for Green Gene and Miami Mango who both kill it with this method, and both will admit that heavy defoliation is not the right choice for every garden.

CF89

CF89

Here’s a few of mine. Not the best. I removed a TON of leaves and feel it screwed me in the end. Not gonna do that next time. Maybe strategically removing the giant ones that are blocking the others. But only a few. Not 200 fan leaves at a time.

8BBB7A13 C63F 42EF 8EAD 5E5686E9288A
0E755AFF F946 41FF 8D83 3D93D370552A
7E657E6A AEB0 4F4F 932A BA3667E88481
F48ACAB0 E88A 41BB 914B CDF963E1C573
C50D2FF6 3F33 4E2D A66B E36765BB7FE9
01CE204A 89C4 4BEA 9C99 03AE3F4925CD
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Fan leaves are an important part of the cycle of life of a marijuana plant.
the only time they should be stripped of fan leaves are at the end of week 7-9 or 10 depending onthe strains finishing cycle.
this plant is in week 7 and 5 days.
I will strip all the fan leaves starting tomorrow.
This plant should produce close to 1# when finished.
98D5BF8C 1499 48A7 B396 779B1A31B37B

B

BroScience101

Fan leaves are an important part of the cycle of life of a marijuana plant.
the only time they should be stripped of fan leaves are at the end of week 7-9 or 10 depending onthe strains finishing cycle.
this plant is in week 7 and 5 days.
I will strip all the fan leaves starting tomorrow.
This plant should produce close to 1# when finished.View attachment 1064243

What strain? Looks delicious

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Here’s a few of mine. Not the best. I removed a TON of leaves and feel it screwed me in the end. Not gonna do that next time. Maybe strategically removing the giant ones that are blocking the others. But only a few. Not 200 fan leaves at a time.
Yeah, at that point you're just paying to light up the floor. The idea the fan leaves "block" bud sites is kinda suspect. That would mean the plant does not share its collected energy as a system and that each fan leaf is assigned a specific part of the plant... I don't really think that's how it goes 🤔

CF89

CF89

Well I asked on here and couldn’t get an answer as to what’s more important to get light. Bud sites or fan leaves 🤷‍♀️

also. Regarding 1lb per plant. We need wayyyyyy more info lol. Single plant in a 50gal hydro setup vegged for 4 months under a 1000hps light I’m going to assume lol.

Part of my defoliation was aphid control too. Learned lots that’s for sure.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Well I asked on here and couldn’t get an answer as to what’s more important to get light. Bud sites or fan leaves
The answer to that is all of the above.
The energy you want going to the buds comes from all the leaves.
The more leaves the more energy to the buds.
(Photosynthesis) :)

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

Well this is right now... plants look happy and not stressed after the heavy defo i did.

09692104 8AD2 4975 8590 25AE2B4283DE
CF89

CF89

Well gee. Where were you with your grade 2 pictures when I posted this very valid question that no one seemed to know the answer to.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Well gee. Where were you with your grade 2 pictures when I posted this very valid question that no one seemed to know the answer to.

My grade 2 picture points have a purpose.
Plants need leaves for photosynthesis, the more the better for bloom growth and the health of the plant.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Well I asked on here and couldn’t get an answer as to what’s more important to get light. Bud sites or fan leaves 🤷‍♀️

also. Regarding 1lb per plant. We need wayyyyyy more info lol. Single plant in a 50gal hydro setup vegged for 4 months under a 1000hps light I’m going to assume lol.

Part of my defoliation was aphid control too. Learned lots that’s for sure.
25 gallon pot in soil, clones were takin September 3, veged under 315w CMHs
Flowering under 1000W gavita DE, CO2 at 1500ppm in a sealed room 10x14 with 10 foot ceilings. 4 ton A/C temps at 72-76F in flower weeks 1-6 temps dropped to 66-68F to finish week 7-8. Gavitas upped to 1150W last 2 weeks of flower.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

25 gallon pot in soil, clones were takin September 3, veged under 315w CMHs
Flowering under 1000W gavita DE, CO2 at 1500ppm in a sealed room 10x14 with 10 foot ceilings. 4 ton A/C temps at 72-76F in flower weeks 1-6 temps dropped to 66-68F to finish week 7-8. Gavitas upped to 1150W last 2 weeks of flower.
Is that 1000 wt per plant?

growsince79

growsince79

Yeah, at that point you're just paying to light up the floor. The idea the fan leaves "block" bud sites is kinda suspect. That would mean the plant does not share its collected energy as a system and that each fan leaf is assigned a specific part of the plant... I don't really think that's how it goes 🤔
Ever notice how your stickiest, best tasting buds are always under the huge shade leaves?

a4twenty

a4twenty

my yields were also shit.

can you not think of any reasons why?

just by simply looking back through your posts. you've over fertilized, put your lights too low, had to upgrade your lights, had light burn, been battling aphids for most of the grow, topped numerous times, done heavy defoliation and lst multiple times during veg, had ph issues, temperature issues....

l'd suggest your low yeild was because of a multitude problems and not necessarily relevant to what the OP is asking.

CF89

CF89

can you not think of any reasons why?

just by simply looking back through your posts. you've over fertilized, put your lights too low, had to upgrade your lights, had light burn, been battling aphids for most of the grow, topped numerous times, done heavy defoliation and lst multiple times during veg, had ph issues, temperature issues....

l'd suggest your low yeild was because of a multitude problems and not necessarily relevant to what the OP is asking.

Over fertilized how?? First grow I used double the amount (recirculating) and had no problems. Tinyyyy bit of tip burn but that’s about it. Second grow I used half the nutrients (drain to waste program) so how exactly was I over fertilizing when I fed them about 700ppm once per week. They were starved if anything.

lights too low? When? Where? Where was the light bleaching and damage showing that??? Where’s the light burn? I had them too high at one point (60cm) and then lowered the (30-40cm). I seriously think you got me confused with someone else

it all worked fine for my first grow. The light that apparently needed upgrading, the over fertilized plants. Etc. My first grow went great with all that stuff. The second grow was absolute shit and I feel it’s because of the major major defoliation that I did. Since when is basic LST responsible for hurting yields when I vegged for 2 months

where were my ph issues? I was at 5.75 to 6 the entire grow? So was I over feeding or under feeding due to my ph issues???

The only major, possibly negative thing I did different between grow 1 (3.5 oz per plant) and grow 2 (2 oz per plant) was major defoliation. Absolutely relevant to what the op is asking 🤷‍♀️

I feel like defoliation and stripping the plant to nothing except a bud site is what caused my shit yields because I didn’t really overly struggle or fail at any other areas. I made a mistake or two and had a problem or two yeah. But the biggest, most significant one, I feel, was defoliation about 200 leaves at once, several times throughout the cycle with no recovery time. I tried asking and getting an answer here but not a single soul knew that very basic and apparently obvious knowledge. Learned that one myself the hard way over a period of 6 months. Awesome.

Gotta love forums and sharing knowledge so mistakes like that don’t happen and basic questions like that can be answered and not just ignored. Awesome communication we got here 👍

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom