(Fatman's) DIY nutrient mixing guide

• Thread starter squarepusher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pimples

I know this is a thread on making your own nutes out of base salts and i hate hyping a line but ive used them all. I dont mix my own. I should but i like convenience and ease and iam willing to pay for it....to an extent. It seems Ionic one part has the right ratios in my experience. With a grow at 3-1-5 and a bloom at 3-2-6....it just "seems" the way to go. Now you will probably need a calmag supplement for SOME strains when using coir as a medium. Not all but some. Now if they could just list the minimum analysis (the label is really generic)...make the dilution rate more concentrated (4 tspn per gallon to hit target ec) which is hard to do for a true one part...and quit raising thier prices they would truly have "the Ultimate Solution". HDI in Lansing really needs to release a "for coco" blend like the sister company Growth Technology in Europe and Australia. I did email an HDI rep once and he sent me the gma on the line including the "for soil " bases. I think i deleted it but i do recall Ionic being low in calcium...especially the soil blends. I suspect this is because its a one part. What the rep sent me was in both w/w% and w/v %. In anything but certain varietals in coco coir the base line 3-1-5 and 3-2-6 needed nothing whatsoever. Ive used it in all kinds of mediums and methods of delivery. Aero....dwc...rdwc...rockwool drip and flood...hydroton...nft...peat mixes...and coco coir. Its popular with the water based hydroponic growers...dwc and the like. The brand just works. The ratios seem ideal especially when i read about smarter growers than me finding 3-1-2/ 3-1-4 or the like being an ideal profile for cannabis. The good folks at HDI/Growth Technology were truly onto something (Dr. Carl Barry..Giles Ginstone..Harley Smith) . As was Heath Robinson back in the day. Anyone have any opinions??? This is a great thread by the way.

Last edited:
2broke2smoke

2broke2smoke

Hey outre99,

Maybe the white stuff floating in your mix is gypsum. If your stock solution is too concentrated you can leach gypsum out of solution:D

2b2s

azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

Im putting in the order today from CHN. Just trying to find the simple things that weigh a ton locally. So far, no luck. There's no way I can find chelated micros and most of the other stuff locally, especially in smaller sizes.
Ive called every ag supplier around and all they have is 25 and 50 lb bags of micros, questionable epsom and subpar in-house calcium nitrate.

That did sound bad on my part, sorry. I never meant to cut you out and take your free information. Your advise and time spent answering my questions is invaluable. Thank you! From my research, CHN carries top grade stuff at a competitive price.
jr peters is reasonable on their mix of soluable traces (m.o.s.t.) in small amount that will last a lifetime.

The Terps

The Terps

Sorry I have been reading nmeeks post for like the last 3-4 hrs and can do no more reading tonight but have a question. I'd like to try something similar to his program which I have a basic grasp of.

I currently run mills nutrients and an enzyme or something through a series of four dosatrons in two gal pots of Tupur. So sticking with my current system I'd like to mix as complete of a regimen possible using only 4 dosers. I'd like to mix salts as evenly spread through the fertigators as possible but don't remember what things play nice together and what doesn't. Anyways thanks for reading. And any advice will be greatly appreciated

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Sorry I have been reading nmeeks post for like the last 3-4 hrs and can do no more reading tonight but have a question. I'd like to try something similar to his program which I have a basic grasp of.

I currently run mills nutrients and an enzyme or something through a series of four dosatrons in two gal pots of Tupur. So sticking with my current system I'd like to mix as complete of a regimen possible using only 4 dosers. I'd like to mix salts as evenly spread through the fertigators as possible but don't remember what things play nice together and what doesn't. Anyways thanks for reading. And any advice will be greatly appreciated

I'm pretty sure you can run the Meeks formula out of two dosers, one for the calnit and one for everything else. Maybe a third if ph needs to be adjusted. The idea being calnit is the ingredient that doesn't play well with others unless added at the end.

rshackleferd

rshackleferd

About four years ago i came to this thread and have been using fatmans coco coir recipe ever since with awesome results. I did a grow comparison between foxfarms trio formula and fatmans coco coir recipe and fatman won hands down. The only thing i have changed was the concentration amount in part a and b. Instead of using one gallon i used a half a gallon of distilled water to make the concentrate. With fatmans recipe i don't have to worry about supplements or even the ph. its all figured in. Never wasting hard earned cash on commercial ever again. A hundred bucks will last a lifetime and i didnt have a problem finding the ingredients online.

P

Pimples

About four years ago i came to this thread and have been using fatmans coco coir recipe ever since with awesome results. I did a grow comparison between foxfarms trio formula and fatmans coco coir recipe and fatman won hands down. The only thing i have changed was the concentration amount in part a and b. Instead of using one gallon i used a half a gallon of distilled water to make the concentrate. With fatmans recipe i don't have to worry about supplements or even the ph. its all figured in. Never wasting hard earned cash on commercial ever again. A hundred bucks will last a lifetime and i didnt have a problem finding the ingredients online.
Foxfarms Grow Big...Big Bloom...or whatever its called..and the other one...been around forever. I remember when Foxfarm was just small time mom and pop family company. Just a straight laced vegetable nute company. They got on the indoor wink wink bandwagon since them early days. There shit works...but there are FAR BETTER brands than them. Dont get me wrong. They work. But that whole semi organic or half and half shit...nah. Tried it. Years ago. I have moved on. If you want a semi organic...or half and half...Botanicare Pure Blend Pro is much better. More thought and research went into that one...when it was just Pure Blend back in the day. But even that one is subpar in my experience compared to all salt brands. I know of bigger forum growers that would agree.

A

argo

Cogos, if you know about these chem salt fertilizers, then you know that there are cheap forms and expensive forms, I'll use DAP vs MAP as a good example, and I'm going to assume that you know exactly what I mean when I mention DAP/MAP.

I won't argue with you about AN, they're expensive as hell and mostly marketing in my opinion.

But you're not winning many people over by coming in here and basically stomping all around the place. If that's your goal (to troll) then we mods will help you along. If it's not, I've got to ask you again to use a different approach and make it far less confrontational than you've been using.

And I hadn't noticed that shaggyballs had made it over here.

A

argo

i beleive you are one of the companys go to for memorizing a couple paragraphs adding then in conversation like you know something i have seen this alot..
The Sales pitches of the benefits of MAP and DAP tend to focus on their different pH of dissolutions. pH of dissolution refers to the pH of the solution in and immediately around fertilizer granules. The pH (water) of dissolutions for MAP and DAP are approximately 4 to 5 and 7 to 8 respectively ().

Any theoretical benefits of MAP or DAP based on different pH of dissolution are rarely transferred to consistent performance in the field. of course i looked at advanced crap and low numbers and urine you got all kinds of crap in that bottle...a proprietary blend lmao ...is there fertilizer in that bottle?

P

Pimples

Doesnt anyone here think that some people think WAY too much about mineral feed nutrients to grow cannabis? I do. Its pretty damn simple. Not the rocket science alot.of forum lurkers play it out to be.

F

Find.Fatman

also, I wanted to post some of Fatman's "suggested" formula's. I haven't double checked these, and am simply copying and pasting. Turns out, Lucas may work, but not be that great. Here are some recommended formulas for using RDWC type systems, or I'm sure would work in any system recirculating

The below formulations are for recirculation reservoir systems. They are low ammonium nitrogen fertilizations so they have lower phosphorus as typically phosphoric acid is being added quite often due to pH rises during high nitrate uptake. If you like I can make up formualtions more desirable to your growing method. Your method is more like a soil grow but with out the humus to buffer against pH rises. Your system would likely do better with lower calcium, and magnesium but higher phosphorus as one would use with a drain to waster hydro like a high pressure aero system.

fatman's Veg Formulation
ppm

Nitrogen 267
Phosphorus 82
Potassium 291
Magnesium 93
Calcium 261
Sulfur 123
Iron 10.00
Manganese 5.00
Boron 5.00
Zinc 5.00
Copper 1.00
Molybdenum .09

Ounces

Part A

Calcium Nitrate 91.5
Potassium Nitrate 17.4
Iron Chelate 7.14
Part B
Potassium Nitrate 17.4
MonoPotassium Phosphate 27.3
Magnesium Sulfate 66.4
Manganese Sulfate 1.423
Boric Acid / Solubor 1.944
Zinc Sulfate 1.542
Copper Sulfate .311
Ammonium Molybdate .013
Volume of Stock Solutions
5.3 gallons
Dilution Rate 100
EC 2.75
pH 5.8
TDS 1925

fatman's Bloom Formula
ppm
Nitrogen 240
Phosphorus 74
Potassium 261
Magnesium 84
Calcium 235
Sulfur 111
Iron 10.00
Manganese 5.00
Boron 5.00
Zinc 5.00
Copper 1.00
Molybdenum .09

Ounces

Part A

Calcium Nitrate 82.2
Potassium Nitrate 15.6
Iron Chelate 7.14

Part B

Potassium Nitrate 15.6
MonoPotassium Phosphate 24.6
Magnesium Sulfate 59.7
Manganese Sulfate 1.423
Zinc Sulfate 1.542
Copper Sulfate .311
Ammonium Molybdate .013
Volume of Stock Solutions 5.3
Dilution Rate 100
EC 2.47
TDS 1729
pH 5.8

Yes the formulations can be made in smaller batchs. Say for a 1.06 gallon batch divide each ingrediant by 5. A batch of say 5.3 gallons of concentrate means 2.65 gallons of Part A and 2.65 gallons of Part B. Not 5.3 gallons of each. The formulations should cost about $5 per each gallon of 100 to 1 concentrate.

Hi,
Can the veg formula be used for veggies like swiss chard, spinach etc.. basically all leafy greens.

BTW anybody knows where is FatMan..?????????

squarepusher

squarepusher

Hi,
Can the veg formula be used for veggies like swiss chard, spinach etc.. basically all leafy greens.

BTW anybody knows where is FatMan..?????????
For leafy green, you want Nitrogen dominant nutrient NPK. So, something like 5-3-3 would be good option.

No, lost track of Fatman, he was paranoid type, but I guess rightfully so after spending all that time locked up

F

Find.Fatman

For leafy green, you want Nitrogen dominant nutrient NPK. So, something like 5-3-3 would be good option.

No, lost track of Fatman, he was paranoid type, but I guess rightfully so after spending all that time locked up

Thanks for responding..

Actually I am very new to hydroponics and in India we don't have companies manufacturing nutrients specifically for hydroponics. GH is available through Amazon but very expensive. So I thought I will try to make nutrients my self. Upon searching net most recipe was by FatMan. I thought of trying his recipe but since it was for mj (I guess) and 7 years old I thought let ask in forum again someone might have come up with something better.
Below is his recipe so if you can provide me something on similar lines i.e. with ppm/ec of each component that will help me more. I can then use hydro buddy to get required grams of each fertilizer.

Fatman's Veg Formulation
ppm

Nitrogen 267
Phosphorus 82
Potassium 291
Magnesium 93
Calcium 261
Sulfur 123
Iron 10.00
Manganese 5.00
Boron 5.00
Zinc 5.00
Copper 1.00
Molybdenum .09

Ounces

Part A

Calcium Nitrate 91.5
Potassium Nitrate 17.4
Iron Chelate 7.14

Part B
Potassium Nitrate 17.4
MonoPotassium Phosphate 27.3
Magnesium Sulfate 66.4
Manganese Sulfate 1.423
Zinc Sulfate 1.542
Copper Sulfate .311
Ammonium Molybdate .013

Volume of Stock Solutions
5.3 gallons
Dilution Rate 100
EC 2.75
pH 5.8
TDS 1925

N

nemojackson

Hi totally new here,i have exhausted my self reading with great enthusiasm this wonderful epic forum on nutrients and i loved it, trouble is i am now even more confused from where i have started, i have searched on the net and googled for correct nutrients dilution rate and stumble on a thread by "fatman"s, which brought me here,can someone in a knowledge shed a light on the subject and in simple way please explain in grams and litres the correct mixing ratio for say a 100L mix,in my arsenal i have potassium sulphate,mono potassium phosphate and calcium nitrate,i also have 12% humic acids chleated
iron magnesium sulphate and 20-20-20 for good measures, i can also obtain any other nutrients if needed,
i also have seen quite a few nutrient formulation software for hydroponics who offer there services,any direction/recommendation will be appreciated, i know there will be few opinion on what works best grow and flower but for me it is a starting point and say goodbye to overly expensive liquid fertilisers
again great knowledge
20170520 101355
20170520 101342
20170520 101255
20170520 101133
20170520 101108
20170520 101219
20170520 101219
20170520 101108
here

N

nemojackson

forgot to add i grow in 50/50 coco-perlite and using 85% phosphoric acid as ph buffer

Latest posts

Top Bottom