Few questions regarding roots in coco

• Thread starter Sw91
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sw91

Sw91

Anyone had an experience like this? My pots being watered daily in coco daily and is light daily. So I thought time for a pot up, when I check the roots there are some there but it’s hardly looking rooted. Just thought it’s strange as the plants drinking everything thrown at it daily.

Also have some plants in 6litre pots. Watering them just 1 litre and getting run off? Will that change as the plant gets bigger? Used to throw 2 litres at plants in 6litres to achieve run off. Difference is then though I was packing down the coco too much. 1litre doesn’t seem like much though.

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

Yes, as the plants get bigger their hunger and thirst grow as well. Spend time with your plants, they will tell you what they want.

Sw91

Sw91

does the first plant in the smaller pot sound right? watering till run off daily and it’s drinking the lot as pots light in 24hours. Yet roots aren’t wrapping the pot like i have seen with others growing in coco? Gonna pot it up tonight anyway.

the plants getting a litre and seeing some run off in 6litre pots. as they grow then it’ll take more to achieve run off your saying?

I feel the only area I need to improve really is getting better roots. I can get decent yields and dont run into any issues. Just seem to not have the best roots compare to others I see online.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

What is in the water you're giving them? Using Zym and/or Rhizo? Are you watering by hand or on timer?

Sw91

Sw91

They are getting a feed of 1.1ec canna coco a and b and yes also using rhizo. Plants look healthy no issues there. Just not seeing the roots really wrapping the pot like when others post photos of their roots. The plant in the two litre deffo needs potting up but just thought I’d see more roots considering how much she is drinking

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

They are getting a feed of 1.1ec canna coco a and b and yes also using rhizo. Plants look healthy no issues there. Just not seeing the roots really wrapping the pot like when others post photos of their roots. The plant in the two litre deffo needs potting up but just thought I’d see more roots considering how much she is drinking
Hmm righto. Definitely one for someone with more experience haha. I think I was a little higher than you with nutes early on, more around 1.3, but later found my base water was 0.7 so was under feeding. But used 1 ml a litre of rhizo all the way through veg. This was day 21 in 8 gal pots.

1E25A553 A540 45FB B2F4 1180288C8B5D

Sw91

Sw91

You are growing in coco and using 8 gallon pots which works out at 36litres right? Jesus lol couldn’t imagine using a pot that big.

I have roots don’t get me wrong, it’s just I’m not seeing the whole pot wrapped in roots like others seem to get.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

You are growing in coco and using 8 gallon pots which works out at 36litres right? Jesus lol couldn’t imagine using a pot that big.

I have roots don’t get me wrong, it’s just I’m not seeing the whole pot wrapped in roots like others seem to get.
Will never happen again haha. Just bought the kit from the hydro store but they're pretty old school, 'more roots more shoots' guys. I will be going to 2 or 3 gal fabrics.

Sw91

Sw91

When I start my next lot in coco I will be treating it different. At the start this time round I watered daily till run off from day 1. Have seen people advise this but my roots wasn’t looking great tbh.
Have seen people say to water till run off once the pots at about 50% of its fully saturated rate? Which does seem similar to what I had done in a previous grow with clones which went lovely. In the end I was watering daily and could just flood the pots soon as the tops looked to be going dry.
My current plants are growing in 6litre pots but I’m not seeing explosive roots like I say. I have not being letting the coco dry out and watering every second day when the pots feel bit lighter. The coco is never allowed to dry out completely and I’m hoping as time goes on they will want watering daily. I usually get to the point where I am watering daily anyway. Just in the past I would pack the coco down to much and coco wasn’t holding oxygen so could over water them if I didn’t water when bone dry. Which made vegging them twice as long as it should be.

Confident I will get to where I need to be. Just wish I was seeing the explosive roots completely wrapping the pot like I see with other peoples photos. I’ve only had that once or twice.

2Bad

2Bad

Yea light roots are normal...honestly I transplanted my 1 gallons to 3gallons and they were thin.. what did u start them out in jiffy pellets?

Sw91

Sw91

Started int pellets then into small pots, I messed up here IMO as I was to keen with watering. Was watering daily till run off from the start and have since read only to do that once a pot is rooted.
Anyway from the small pots I went into 2litres and when I potted up I had terrible roots again.

I am now in 6litre pots, plants look fine in terms of health. Just poor roots, I see people with roots completely wrapping the pot. Mine has a few white roots running down the pot. I’m letting the pots get a little light but certainly not bone dry, far from that. Then watering until run off. It’s only taking about a litre to get run off? Like I say I’m the past a 6litre pot would have two litres thrown at it. Only difference then is I was packing the coco down to much. 1 litre to get run off still doesn’t feel like much though for a pot that size?

Some plants have better roots than others tbh. I can’t believe I’m messing up with something so basic. Have done plenty of grows in coco but I always have felt my roots have been poor and it’s slowed down my veg time. I worked out that was because I was packing the coco down to much. Or so I thought lol last grow my mate gave me clones, I didn’t pack the coco down and watered a lot sooner than I usually would. Ended up with proper lovely roots then. This time round I’ve been watering sooner as I haven’t packed the coco down so not worried about over watering. Yet for some reason on some plants the roots just look terrible?

Would love someone to help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?

2Bad

2Bad

Started int pellets then into small pots, I messed up here IMO as I was to keen with watering. Was watering daily till run off from the start and have since read only to do that once a pot is rooted.
Anyway from the small pots I went into 2litres and when I potted up I had terrible roots again.

I am now in 6litre pots, plants look fine in terms of health. Just poor roots, I see people with roots completely wrapping the pot. Mine has a few white roots running down the pot. I’m letting the pots get a little light but certainly not bone dry, far from that. Then watering until run off. It’s only taking about a litre to get run off? Like I say I’m the past a 6litre pot would have two litres thrown at it. Only difference then is I was packing the coco down to much. 1 litre to get run off still doesn’t feel like much though for a pot that size?

Some plants have better roots than others tbh. I can’t believe I’m messing up with something so basic. Have done plenty of grows in coco but I always have felt my roots have been poor and it’s slowed down my veg time. I worked out that was because I was packing the coco down to much. Or so I thought lol last grow my mate gave me clones, I didn’t pack the coco down and watered a lot sooner than I usually would. Ended up with proper lovely roots then. This time round I’ve been watering sooner as I haven’t packed the coco down so not worried about over watering. Yet for some reason on some plants the roots just look terrible?

Would love someone to help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?
Yeah I did pellets too. Mine are thin too. I didnt use silica until month and a half into veg.. Is there silica in yours? maybe it could use more? What's your humidity temp and ph?

Sw91

Sw91

My issue IMO is almost certainly to do with me and how I’m watering the coco. I know not to let the coco go bone dry. plus like I say I’ve done plenty of coco grows in the past.
I see canna themselves and others say treat the coco more like soil until the pot is rooted. by letting the pot get 50% light?
Then others say ignore that water until run off from the start regardless of the weight of the pot.

I have tried both and still feel like my roots aren’t looking good. I’m at the stage where after weeks of vegging I’m ready to bin the whole lot tbh. So got nothing to lose and open to ideas.

Sw91

Sw91

Here’s some photos, first up a plant that’s been in a 2 litre pot for ages. watered to run off every day. Roots haven’t really wrapped the pot like you’d expect for a plant it’s size?
F5BA2ABB 15FA 4D99 8FCE 0FDCED88598B
729469ED 5DC6 4E60 BEAB DD8F59D5C31B
30220B7F E556 476A B8D0 81FF63CD1298

Sw91

Sw91

Next up one the ladies in the 6litre pots which as you will see seems to have better roots than some the others but still not great.
0CAD6D27 52AC 491B 9DAA DEC94B2B513E

048B752F E7A9 4055 BF07 C4EA93C58EB5

now another in the 6litres with even worse roots.
DAE8946A C407 454F B3B4 87AFC5FE35B9
002FCC8C 99F1 4CDF A756 EBC55D1D9E9C

Sw91

Sw91

Notice the bottom photo the coco looks a little on the dry side. Pot still have some weight to it though and never had a plant go droopy from under watering. So could maybe be the light. I could water it now tbh and I know it won’t go over watered. I’m just wanting to do what’s best to get the roots to take off.

2Bad

2Bad

My issue IMO is almost certainly to do with me and how I’m watering the coco. I know not to let the coco go bone dry. plus like I say I’ve done plenty of coco grows in the past.
I see canna themselves and others say treat the coco more like soil until the pot is rooted. by letting the pot get 50% light?
Then others say ignore that water until run off from the start regardless of the weight of the pot.

I have tried both and still feel like my roots aren’t looking good. I’m at the stage where after weeks of vegging I’m ready to bin the whole lot tbh. So got nothing to lose and open to ideas.
Whats your ph...you use microbes? silica? calmag? next time take the net off the jiffy pellets as well.

Last edited:
Sw91

Sw91

Health wise the plants themselves I feel look okay. I gotta admit usually I’m topping plants and have them looking much better. I just been more focused on the roots this time round. I was packing the coco down to much previous grows and thought that was the reason for my slow veg. Even then though I’d get to the point where pots are light if not watered daily. And I would have decent size well trained plants and yield decent. I just thought me not packing the coco down this time would see faster growth and better roots. Hasn’t worked out that way though

2Bad

2Bad

Right well give more details i'm sure someone will chime in if you do

Top Bottom