Finally inbound to CO!

• Thread starter COGrowing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
The Rib House/ribs extrodinare in Longmont, I think its the same as the one Boulder..Not been to Llano since I was a kid...I have a few I like to hit in Texas..Dats Good in Lewisville, Davids in Arlington, Sams in Balch springs, Grady's in grandbury, Mesquite BBQ on the square in Mesquite, about 5 in downtown and oak cliff that i cant think of the name of...

Ya man wifey inherited a nice sized cattle ranch in valley spring just outside of llano so ive been hitting coopers a lot. Love that joint. Just cant beat that TX Q

summitoker

summitoker

you guys are making me hungry...after reading this I would happily eat a rack of ribs right now, at 930am haha.
maybe someone is in the area, i was given a card for a bbq place in superior, have not tried it or anything but it might be what you guys from texas are looking for- www.waynessmokeshack.com

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Daaaaammmnnnn that made me hungry as hell....that looks like the spot to try...

ttystikk

ttystikk

You been to Coopers over in Llano, TX TK?

My grandparents retired and ultimately died in Llano. That's the best fucking bbq anywhere. The very definition of Texas style barbeque. You can see Vegans in there eating it... it's that good lol

ttystikk

ttystikk

You'll have to be pretty well-to-do to afford to fund/own a house build w/o insurance. No bank will loan you cash in such a risky situation for a construction loan. (not many banks loaning on new construction/land as it is right now) And hey...what's this about a big grow? I thought you were goin fishin'?

Sorry I missed this- fishing postponed by retinal detachment. Fishing and big grow not incompatible, since I'm automating as much as I can anyway.

I plan to fund this out of my own pocket. Hence big grow. Once it's complete (and code compliant), insurance companies would likely fall all over themselves to insure me because my house will be such an obvious LOW risk compared to others in the neighborhood.

The basic plan is to dig into the south side of a hill, build a home in the mountain and cover it with the tailings. Also known as a concrete reinforced cave. Or, think foundation two stories tall, with a very serious sod roof. Goddammit, this doesn't have to be difficult. No siding, no roofing material. Just foundation. I'll build in plenty of lightjng with the whole south facing side, since it would be all windows. Eaves and decks and setbacks will give me shade in the summer when the sun is high in the sky, and loads of Sun deep inside the structure all winter when the sun is lower in the sky.

What I'm talking about costs not one damn dime more per square foot than standard code built homes, yet the advantages are incomparable!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Ya man wifey inherited a nice sized cattle ranch in valley spring just outside of llano so ive been hitting coopers a lot. Love that joint. Just cant beat that TX Q

I may have to mail you a Franklin so you can FedEx me a proper mess of Cooper's Finest... gives me a lump in my throat to think about sitting at those picnic tables with my grandma, getting messy from my ears and elbows down!

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
When I first moved out here we had BBQ from David's in Arlington overnited in a few times

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
My pork rib chicken stack marinaded in teriyaki, orange, grapefruit, ginger, garlic, slow cooked indirect weber is pretty killer, along with my potato salad, hard to beat guys and gals.......
Got reciepe if anybody wants......

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Mmmmmm 7am and Im starvin...lol....man that sounds yummy CM....Im goin to have to get over to your side of the hill this summer for some carnivor commradery
riverside camp/BBQ.....car camp cooking awesome......

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

The charcoal baskets for the Webers sure do add the versatility to the unit. I love mine.
Firebans are keeping me from getting my grill on! Looks like I'll have to be preped next summer with some, Propane and propane accessories.
Going to have to make a smoker. Used to have one in the city. Would start it early in the morning on trim days. Would mask the smell with the block up in smoke, and at the end of a hard day snipping, there would be plenty of good meat to gnaw on. Was able to put smaller stuff right next to the fire barrel to have it grilled by lunch, too.
Also was a good way to ensure the trim crew showed up. Since others wouldn't feed them, it made my place higher on their list, should there be a 'schedule conflict'.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Dopegeist, ripping a page from Napoleon Bonaparte's playbook; 'an army (of trimmers) travels on its stomach'!

sky high

sky high

The basic plan is to dig into the south side of a hill, build a home in the mountain and cover it with the tailings. Also known as a concrete reinforced cave. Or, think foundation two stories tall, with a very serious sod roof. Goddammit, this doesn't have to be difficult. No siding, no roofing material. Just foundation. I'll build in plenty of lightjng with the whole south facing side, since it would be all windows. Eaves and decks and setbacks will give me shade in the summer when the sun is high in the sky, and loads of Sun deep inside the structure all winter when the sun is lower in the sky.

What I'm talking about costs not one damn dime more per square foot than standard code built homes, yet the advantages are incomparable!

Sounds like what they used to call a "Contact Earth home" in the 90's if I'm readin you right. Cool stuff. Lots of info out there, for sure. I always thought this was a cool approach (rammed earth/tires). Makes my back hurt just lookin at the process though... :D

http://www.touchtheearthranch.com/rhome.htm

ttystikk

ttystikk

Sounds like what they used to call a "Contact Earth home" in the 90's if I'm readin you right. Cool stuff. Lots of info out there, for sure. I always thought this was a cool approach (rammed earth/tires). Makes my back hurt just lookin at the process though... :D

http://www.touchtheearthranch.com/rhome.htm

That's a much more labor intensive version of the same thing. I like using concrete forms and the swarthy Mexicans who know what to do with them. Finish off with a backhoe backfilling around and above the structure, and then finish the one south face and the interior. Done.

sky high

sky high

I'd love to hear more about it/how you'd insulate it/control condensation/heat it/etc. Always wanted to do something like that.... but not sure my head could take another build right now. :arghh: Could be fun watchin' tho!

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

I'm going to start playing with more mechanical ways to pack them tires this summer.

Thinking should be fairly easy to either:
a) Make a movable hammer, suspended with pulley/tripod, attaches to 4wd for the lift, gravity for the drop.
b) Hydraulic hammer with flat attachment on the mini-excavator (most likely, as the mini-ex is affordable and be worth it's weight in gold on a project like this).
c) Find some Mexicans :)

@SH: Usually there is some sort of venting worked into the plans. The earthships I've seen in books have the solar gain in the front, and towards the back the kitchen with roof mounted vent. Air comes in through the garden and heats/cools while humidifying, then makes its way through the house and out the kitchen vent with the kitchen smoke.

R

rebar

That's a much more labor intensive version of the same thing. I like using concrete forms and the swarthy Mexicans who know what to do with them. Finish off with a backhoe backfilling around and above the structure, and then finish the one south face and the interior. Done.

Im thinking the same thing.. Ideas for a roof? I'd really like a no maintenance grass/rubber or metal roof. The grass would be sweet as you could use the area for, whatever.. Depending on the terrain, you could dig down next to a road for the house, and then park on top of your house.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Im thinking the same thing.. Ideas for a roof? I'd really like a no maintenance grass/rubber or metal roof. The grass would be sweet as you could use the area for, whatever.. Depending on the terrain, you could dig down next to a road for the house, and then park on top of your house.

Totally. I can see the TV commercial now; "Jeep parking"

sky high

sky high

I just mention it because I've seen quite a few earthships/\contact earth homes on the market that were abandoned...and full of mold.(there was 80+ acres and a moldy ship for sale last Winter in S. CO) Might have been early pioneers in the approach....dunno. Either way...if it works,,,it seems to work well...and if it's fucked.....it seems it's real fucked. Even Micheal Reynolds has had to learn, through experience, the right way and the wrong way to go about it....and the earthships he builds/designs are mostly above ground. Seriously cool concept though... would love to see someone go for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom