First ever grow - can someone please help me gender them if possible?

• Thread starter BC_August
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jakecan

Jakecan

thanks again! im gonna put them in some peat pucks and see what happens, gonna put them in my chilli and tomato tent which is on 12 hours a day. see what happens :)
Do you have a peat puck tray or a tray that you can put a dome over? You're going to want to keep the humidity as high as you can since there are no roots and is basically a clone so same rules as if you were actually trying to clone.

B

BC_August

Do you have a peat puck tray or a tray that you can put a dome over? You're going to want to keep the humidity as high as you can since there are no roots and is basically a clone so same rules as if you were actually trying to clone.
hmm dont have either, would a simply small baggy over top work to increase humidity? i could also keep them in jars, loosely screwed on for a bit of air

B

BC_August

I've put them in separate little jars with 2 small holes drilled into the top for small airflow, should def increase humidity.
Will keep ya'll updated, and start flowering in a week. not overly worried as ive been given the go ahead to do a proper grow, to help pain sufferers. hooray! still have to hide it/go under the radar.

Did you know in New Zealand we had a vote last year to legalise cannabis (with incredibly reasonable restrictions) and we lost by around 2%. insanity. for a country thats meant to be so "Green", some of our people aren't the smartest. legalising it would have easily gotten us out of the recession. But thats a completely separate rant hahah. Thanks for your thoughts and advise everyone :) appreciate it heaps.

Jakecan

Jakecan

I've put them in separate little jars with 2 small holes drilled into the top for small airflow, should def increase humidity.
Will keep ya'll updated, and start flowering in a week. not overly worried as ive been given the go ahead to do a proper grow, to help pain sufferers. hooray! still have to hide it/go under the radar.

Did you know in New Zealand we had a vote last year to legalise cannabis (with incredibly reasonable restrictions) and we lost by around 2%. insanity. for a country thats meant to be so "Green", some of our people aren't the smartest. legalising it would have easily gotten us out of the recession. But thats a completely separate rant hahah. Thanks for your thoughts and advise everyone :) appreciate it heaps.
Is it like a mason jar? Is light still able to get in? I would almost put it in a jar with a clear wrapping over top of it with small holes in it. Don't want the holes to be too big otherwise it won't keep the humidity up.

Jakecan

Jakecan

Yes I did know that! I was very sad to hear our NZ brothers and sisters had to wait until next vote :(

B

BC_August

Is it like a mason jar? Is light still able to get in? I would almost put it in a jar with a clear wrapping over top of it with small holes in it. Don't want the holes to be too big otherwise it won't keep the humidity up.
they're jam jar, light can still get in through the sides and ive drilled two tiny holes in the top of the jar, added a bit of water at the bottom of the jar to make sure it doesnt dry out, checked this morning and can see humidity starting.

good news though! big/favourite plant loved been topped and grew a bunch over night, a lot more bushier ("a lot" for the size of the plant lol). smaller plant not so much, still alive and all but barely any growth. i think i mentioned earlier that it had a hard life early on - from memory i think it grew/sprouted upside down, like the taproot was going the wrong way, so had to give it some help and its always gonna been a slower grower.
decided that once i've swapped in the 100watt led ill give them 7 days of the extra light then flip to 12/12. Think i'll put the scrawny one in the tomato tent to flip it so theres ample room for the bigger plant, ive got a good feeling about her actually being a her.

they've both been (or one has and blown to the other) small crystal like things on their main leaves, but a bit bigger than say, sugar leaves. almost like tiny specks of glass.

i'll start a new thread once i flip and find at least one to be female :) thanks for all your help

and yeah, the vote was such a shame, wont have another one for many years, especially if the Right get in, no one ever expects them to but somehow they do win a lot of the time. in the last year or two they've gained and lost i think 4? leaders, its embarrassing, and the latest leader? an anti abortion, anti gay marriage, anti cannabis, middle aged bald guy. How surprising. so yeah, the legalisation annnnny time soon.

Jakecan

Jakecan

Okay awesome! I'm excited to hear what the sex of the plant is. Were they regular seeds or feminized seeds do you know?

Jakecan

Jakecan

Such a shame. I feel like those are always the leaders that get in around the world... The wrong people run this world :/

B

BC_August

Okay awesome! I'm excited to hear what the sex of the plant is. Were they regular seeds or feminized seeds do you know?
just a couple of seeds found in a bag of average bud from a friend. Because of legality theres no way a seed bank could be a viable business, so feminized seeds don't really exist here, as far as i know. Even the seeds i'm getting from the old seed guy are regulars. He did seem to know the thc and cbd content, 8% and 8% indica dominant. which im pleased about, i prefer lower thc and the higher cbd will be perfect for the medicinal products i plan to make. Once i've paid some bills ill be getting another grow tent and be doing some proper (but still medium sized) grows. This is more of an experiment to see if i could do it, for fun, and to see how difficult it is. as far as PH levels, NPK, nutrients etc i've dont nothing other than make my own growing mix (coir, perlite and not alot of soil) and added small amounts of basic organic vege fert and they've been fine :) i imagine it'll be a different story for a bigger grow but thats why ill be doing more research while i wait for the money to invest in it :)

B

BC_August

Such a shame. I feel like those are always the leaders that get in around the world... The wrong people run this world :/
i know right? like, pretty much everywhere, its insanity. You should see the protests and anti government crap here simply because our prime minister is female, who has done a fine job dealing with a world wide pandemic. while the opposition is like "naaah its fine, open everything up, we need to drink beer and watch boats at the harbour in our richest city that has an insane wealth and poverty gap that we'll do nothing about"

Sounds familiar right?
sorry, last ill go on about politics hahah

Jakecan

Jakecan

just a couple of seeds found in a bag of average bud from a friend. Because of legality theres no way a seed bank could be a viable business, so feminized seeds don't really exist here, as far as i know. Even the seeds i'm getting from the old seed guy are regulars. He did seem to know the thc and cbd content, 8% and 8% indica dominant. which im pleased about, i prefer lower thc and the higher cbd will be perfect for the medicinal products i plan to make. Once i've paid some bills ill be getting another grow tent and be doing some proper (but still medium sized) grows. This is more of an experiment to see if i could do it, for fun, and to see how difficult it is. as far as PH levels, NPK, nutrients etc i've dont nothing other than make my own growing mix (coir, perlite and not alot of soil) and added small amounts of basic organic vege fert and they've been fine :) i imagine it'll be a different story for a bigger grow but thats why ill be doing more research while i wait for the money to invest in it :)
Fair enough! I have heard a lot of seed banks wont ship to NZ or AUS. But fair enough! Keep experimenting and love the process. I did the same when i first started growing. Just grew bag seed for the experience. Most of it ended up herming and i would through it out but learned a lot from it!

B

BC_August

Fair enough! I have heard a lot of seed banks wont ship to NZ or AUS. But fair enough! Keep experimenting and love the process. I did the same when i first started growing. Just grew bag seed for the experience. Most of it ended up herming and i would through it out but learned a lot from it!
cheers man :) trust me, if these herm ill still be attempting to use them for something hahah, we're going through a drought and even at the best of times its easier to find sinister substances than it is to find weed here, and they're generally cheaper. nuts right? have a great day! (night? its 9am here) off to work

B

BC_August

Decided to flower the smaller plant in my tomato/chilli tent and focus on the bigger plant that i have a good feeling about. Smaller plant didn't like the topping and it's growth has stunted dramatically while the bigger plant grew substantially over just 1 night. The larger light arrived and has been installed, will see how it is after a week then flip :)

Found out the seeds i'm getting are "Ruderalis Indica" which may not be too exciting for many people but is exactly what im wanting - higher cbd and a hardy plant thats easy to grow. Even after almost 2 decades of smoking im still a light weight, wasnt so much in my 20's but definitely am in my 30's so I'm looking forward to being able to have a small smoke during the day and going about my business, while making higher cbd medicinal products for sufferers. So yeah, pretty excited :)

sambapati

sambapati

just topped both, should i let them recover a bit or switch straight to 12/12. i read somewhere that slowly transitioning to 12/12 is good to do. but the internet is full of misinformation, hence why i joined this forum :)
Best advice is for your plants to be in complete darkness for 36 hours prior to the 12/12 switch, there is all kinds of scientific support for this. It helps the plant get super ready -- I did 48 hours last grow and it works fine....

S

sshortguy1

Its too early to tell! Unless you send a leaf sample to a lab to have it tested you'll have to wait until you flip to 12 12 and then usually a week in they will start to show preflowers! Nice work though! I think you will be very happy with your experiment! Don't be afraid to top! Theres tons of info out there and in such a small space it might benefit you to top once or twice just so you don't max out on height!
that depends on the strain, I grew some that were at least 3 feet tall some even taller back in the 90s

Jakecan

Jakecan

that depends on the strain, I grew some that were at least 3 feet tall some even taller back in the 90s
Oh forsure. I remember I grew a plant that was crossed with a Hemp strain and she grew from 3ft flipped to flower and grew to over 10ft tall indoor. Ended up not finishing her because she was ugly and wasn't going to give me much (being mainly hemp pheno) was cool to see though.

S

sshortguy1

View attachment 1195163
Some more of the canopy.

11.4oz dry weight harvest on an Auto Fem.
how many plants to get that?
Oh forsure. I remember I grew a plant that was crossed with a Hemp strain and she grew from 3ft flipped to flower and grew to over 10ft tall indoor. Ended up not finishing her because she was ugly and wasn't going to give me much (being mainly hemp pheno) was cool to see though.
oh, I bet. I have gotten that feeling the very very 1st time to see 3 plants grow into an adult, this was back around 1992, which was good enough for me, it was hell though through trial & error seeing it grow to be a big gal then see it die then back to seedling again, which I been there chin up & keep your head clear enough to remember what you read, I learned from going to horticulture for which I wouldn't be thinking of growing weed, wouldn't have met my wife that told me she'll look at her flowers but won't look at mine? tells me they are the ugliest flowers she has ever seen, lol

traeold420

traeold420

Best advice is for your plants to be in complete darkness for 36 hours prior to the 12/12 switch, there is all kinds of scientific support for this. It helps the plant get super ready -- I did 48 hours last grow and it works fine....
can you please post some links to these studies showing 36 hours complete darkness prior to 12/12 is beneficial? Thank you in advance!

B

BC_August

So the new lights been installed, the "100watt" version of the "50watt" led that was in there, lowered it slightly as i didnt think it would need to be that close, 5 or 6 more days then ill do the 36 hours darkness thing, maybe, id like to research that first - either or ill flip to 12/12 then.

Question though, those dumb bendy blurple lights i have in there, if i switched them all to red, do you think that may cause the plant to start preflowering a bit? or is it not even worth trying/bad for it?

Found a moisture/light/ph meter for $2NZD (prob around a buck USD) at one of the rubbish dump/tip salvage shops here, just wanted it for the moisture part, definitely tells me its wet but we'll see once the soil dries out a bit :) happy i didnt pay full price, been considering it for weeks.

but yeah, red lights - good idea or bad? or will it probably just do nothing?

thanks again for all your help. im taking as many photos as possible and will start a thread once its all done with photos throughout the process/experiment etc. Still don't know if shes a female so could be a waste! more of a practice for when i get the better seeds - although from what ive read, Ruderalis Indica is super easy to grow and can withstand quite a bit.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I myself wouldnt light deprive them for 36 hours. Also those having Ruderalis genes, they may be autoflowering. Id ask the guy you got them from.
Im also not a big fan of topping. Id rather bend the plant over, and train the secondary brannches towards the light. That way you keep the growing tip, which will add more secondary branches as it grows. This way it will turn into a round hedge. Also considering thats a 100w LED Id get pretty close to the top of the plant.
Are you also using the 50w LED, along with the 100W?? I would.

Latest posts

Top Bottom