First Ever Grow, No Til, Documenting Every Learning Step

• Thread starter FutureGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ecompost

Ecompost

I’ve been pushing all her fan leaves down and letting the fresh shoots get all the light so far. It seems like it’s doing really good like that.

Also I could use some of your guys’ advice with a scrog. Looking online I probably chose the worst starting strain you could get since they’re supposed to be massive plants, I’m just wondering how much above my pot should I do my first scrog layer?
You might want to talk to a professional tomato grower buddy, do you have any in your area?. You really want to talk to someone growing fruit and not leaves :) They will explain how this happens via watering and NPK delivery or not, and what we can do as growers to encourage our plants to be less leafy and more buddy :)
Plants use up to 30% of their energy to process N, they tend not to leave it, they take it, this is why we always see those leaves clawing over. Some clawing is OK I reckon, since moderate stress toughens up our plants, and the systems they use to defend themselves are beneficial to us, eg power of high, taste and so on
I will leave the SCROG guys to talk about that

Ecompost

Ecompost

Unfortunately I don’t yet, I could order some but we have some pretty solid nurseries out here so I was thinking when spring rolls around I’d pickup some clover and rye, maybe a third as well... I could go buy a bale of hay or something in the mean time but doing something like that would be kinda overkill for one pot lol. I could mow some of my grass down and use that possibly?

Im also planning in adding worms when it gets warmer outside. Do you guys think using what I find in my backyard to be a good idea? My backyard is full of lava rock soil since I’m so close to a volcano and the worms grow massive.

As far as hydro growing faster, yesterday I watered her and came back in 3 hours later and she’d grown atleast an inch!

Your plant is crazy frosty man! Looking amazing!
you can use a mulch matt. these you can buy from ebay or garden stores. Yes you can use your outdoor stuff, why not? is it growing healthy plants?
You might want to treat it, nematodes and so on work well for this, as do many types of fungus, beauvaria bassiana a good example, this will ensure you dont have latent or live insects and so on which might hatch, wake up with the warm inside and cause a problem.

Anything you can do to save money is a good idea, but do a test before you commit wholesale and know things change outside, there are better times of year to collect your media from the wild, but local pest data will tell you this not me :-)

nature is code, plants and so on are like signposts, or clues if you like. Understanding what plants you have growing natively, tells you an awful lot about the conditions of the soil underfoot and whether is worth investigation or not.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Small update. Everything is going crazy smooth except a day ago I seen a few yellow tips. All I can find online is nuts burn so I'm assuming it's that even though I haven't fed the soil in a week.

Anyways she's getting really big here's a couple pictures View attachment 773514
sometimes when the environment changes, say wet to dry air, our plants can pick up moderate defs, esp of non mobile elements. It is unlikely to a nutrient excess mate because the plant is very young and I doubt it has had time to accumulate toxic levels of salt in the leaves at this stage but its not impossible if you have been crackers with the NPK, more likely a Ca2+ def caused by a drop in turgor pressure, itself a response to an environmental change, meaning the nutrient solutions and water, is not making its way to the very extremes of your plant, eg the tips of the leaves.
Check air RH%, check Temps Air and Media day and night.

F

FutureGrower

You might want to talk to a professional tomato grower buddy, do you have any in your area?. You really want to talk to someone growing fruit and not leaves :) They will explain how this happens via watering and NPK delivery or not, and what we can do as growers to encourage our plants to be less leafy and more buddy :)
Plants use up to 30% of their energy to process N, they tend not to leave it, they take it, this is why we always see those leaves clawing over. Some clawing is OK I reckon, since moderate stress toughens up our plants, and the systems they use to defend themselves are beneficial to us, eg power of high, taste and so on
I will leave the SCROG guys to talk about that

I unfortunately don’t know if tomato growers out here, but I do have teaming with series and a couple other books i really need to stop procrastinating and just read lol.

F

FutureGrower

you can use a mulch matt. these you can buy from ebay or garden stores. Yes you can use your outdoor stuff, why not? is it growing healthy plants?
You might want to treat it, nematodes and so on work well for this, as do many types of fungus, beauvaria bassiana a good example, this will ensure you dont have latent or live insects and so on which might hatch, wake up with the warm inside and cause a problem.

Anything you can do to save money is a good idea, but do a test before you commit wholesale and know things change outside, there are better times of year to collect your media from the wild, but local pest data will tell you this not me :)

nature is code, plants and so on are like signposts, or clues if you like. Understanding what plants you have growing natively, tells you an awful lot about the conditions of the soil underfoot and whether is worth investigation or not.

Dude one day I really hope to know 10% of what you know! I’ll see if I can find some pest data over here and thank you

F

FutureGrower

sometimes when the environment changes, say wet to dry air, our plants can pick up moderate defs, esp of non mobile elements. It is unlikely to a nutrient excess mate because the plant is very young and I doubt it has had time to accumulate toxic levels of salt in the leaves at this stage but its not impossible if you have been crackers with the NPK, more likely a Ca2+ def caused by a drop in turgor pressure, itself a response to an environmental change, meaning the nutrient solutions and water, is not making its way to the very extremes of your plant, eg the tips of the leaves.
Check air RH%, check Temps Air and Media day and night.

That’s what it is! My humidity dropped to 38% when I opened the door for like 5 minutes. Unfortunately it’s a tiny room that goes into a decently airy hallway lol. I shut the door and blasted my humidifier right after so I didn’t think anything of it

Thanks man, I was getting a little worried over it but I gave her some aloe and the humidity has been good since, and the tips of the leafs are getting more color

F

FutureGrower

Sorry for a lot of time between updates. Honestly it's been so smooth I really don't have anything to say that I specifically learned from this plant and not online. Which is kinda awesome and 100% credit goes to you guys.

That being said... lol... I have a weird obsession with pinching fan leafs in order to give future shoots the ability to grow. And I broke more than one off in that process! I'm sure that I stunted her growth but I'll know better for future grows!

I marked what day I planted her but then I threw the calendar away so she's a little over 30 days old but I'm not exactly sure lol. The company that makes the seeds says she flower in 45 days so getting there... She already has a lot of nodes

One kinda cool thing I noticed is how some of the bottom branches grow nearly no leafs and rush out to get maximum light possible

I also had to move the light higher because the 5' (closer to 4' when lights hanging) was getting too close and the leaf temps were hitting 85* f

Oh! I'm growing a companion crop by accident! I guess one of the leafs from the plant chose to have offspring or something lol
20180206 131201
20180206 131141

Honestly nothing to update you guys on other than how easy no til is in practice.

@Ecompost I looked a little for how to grow less leafy veggies but didnt find a whole bunch outside of genetics, if you would like to share into some details id love to read :)

F

FutureGrower

Oh I decided not to go with a mulch Matt for this run. I've done so many things wrong throughout this process I just want to get this one harvested and improve the second time around.

I'm also looking at potentially hermieing one down the line to attempt to seed herself just mostly for fun reasons if I'm honest lol.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Sorry for a lot of time between updates. Honestly it's been so smooth I really don't have anything to say that I specifically learned from this plant and not online. Which is kinda awesome and 100% credit goes to you guys.

That being said... lol... I have a weird obsession with pinching fan leafs in order to give future shoots the ability to grow. And I broke more than one off in that process! I'm sure that I stunted her growth but I'll know better for future grows!

I marked what day I planted her but then I threw the calendar away so she's a little over 30 days old but I'm not exactly sure lol. The company that makes the seeds says she flower in 45 days so getting there... She already has a lot of nodes

One kinda cool thing I noticed is how some of the bottom branches grow nearly no leafs and rush out to get maximum light possible

I also had to move the light higher because the 5' (closer to 4' when lights hanging) was getting too close and the leaf temps were hitting 85* f

Oh! I'm growing a companion crop by accident! I guess one of the leafs from the plant chose to have offspring or something lol
View attachment 776440 View attachment 776443
Honestly nothing to update you guys on other than how easy no til is in practice.

@Ecompost I looked a little for how to grow less leafy veggies but didnt find a whole bunch outside of genetics, if you would like to share into some details id love to read :)[/QUO

here are some general articles regarding water stress and tips to maximize fruits

ttps://www.burpee.com/gardenadvicecenter/vegetables/tomatoes/top-10-tomato-solutions/article10369.html

https://extension.arizona.edu/sites/extension.arizona.edu/files/pubs/az1151.pdf

F

FutureGrower

Hey guys... been really terrible at keeping this thread up to date! I apologize for that but I do have hopes to continue it!

I learned so many little things that I’m almost guaranteed to forget to share but I’ll do my best!

First off I finished my first cycle about 2 weeks ago with relatively lack luster results but more on that later.

My last update was in the final days of veg I believe, right after that I decided removing all the leafs might be a good idea lmao! Not really, I was jut super high and seen some sort of fly eating away and a leaf and paniced lol!

The other thing that happened was all the leafs began yellowing I’m assuming from lack of nutrition since after I top dressed with some barley is got better, but I caught it way late.

Drying went I think decent for my first time. I had a couple branches I messed up and didn’t make hangers for but I made it work.

My only struggle I had was keeping enough humidity in the room. I was scared if I brought it above 45ish percent I might be mold since it’s such a tiny room with a humidifier in it.

Trimming was a great learning process, it took me a few hours but towards the end I was getting “decent” and going faster. I way over trimmed the first half, and the weed is a too dry so if I bumped it some of the flower would break off.

As for the weed itself, not the best quality lol. Very stretchy not dense at all, the high is nice but I pulled it a little too late so it’s a little more “medicated”. The smoke itself is actually smooth which is awesome.

All in all, I did damn near everything wrong, chose a strain that’s notoriously hard to grow for my first grow (og kush) and still grew something!

I’m preparing for my second cycle right now. I got worms from my back yard just last night. I have alph alpha seeds on the way and will be growing that a week or so prior to putting my second seed into the soil. I also have the leafs that managed to stay in tact as soil cover for now.

I’ll be growing another og kush auto flower just for comparisons sake.

And these are the changes I plan on making and explanations for why.

Focus on climate! For me I’m in a tiny room that it tempature controlled by my house, but my humidity drops crazy low at night and almost normal during the morning and I have no idea why but my entire house is this way. which means sometimes my rh would be 29 and if I forgot to turn the humidifier off I would walk in and see 70% rh! My rh was so hard on the plants that every matured leaf had their tips curled and dead

Do the minimum defoliation! This seems so damned obvious and is, but if you’re me this clearly isn’t the case! I like smoking in the room with my plant and going through and checking throughout the plant making sure everything is good. When I smoke too much, every time I decide taking a few leafs off is a good idea... so I need to stop that lmao!

Always use pruners or clippers to defoliate when you need too! I was twisting a leaf off and damage the entire branch by fibers that weren’t broken off. I’m sure once I get better I may break my own rule but for now this is needed!

Cut the bottom branches off there were atleast four or 5 branches that grew multiple feet long on the inside of the plant and produced nearly nothing. Surely it’s less energy on the plant, hopefully the stress won’t be too much.

Use a scrog or something to aid growth, atleast in flower. I think it will just produce better quality and make the plant work less.

Top dress/feed every 10days. I’m using mofo’s amendment schedule I should’ve done this from the start but didn’t!

I have some photos I’ll post a little later, it’s nothing impressive I promise! Lol

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@Organikz hey man I do have a question, I’m planning on buying some clovers for ground cover tomorrow as it supposedly helps with nitrogen release, do you have a second ground cover you’d recommend?
I'm not organikz but any of the legume family is excellent for cover crop.......

Ecompost

Ecompost

Hey guys... been really terrible at keeping this thread up to date! I apologize for that but I do have hopes to continue it!

I learned so many little things that I’m almost guaranteed to forget to share but I’ll do my best!

First off I finished my first cycle about 2 weeks ago with relatively lack luster results but more on that later.

My last update was in the final days of veg I believe, right after that I decided removing all the leafs might be a good idea lmao! Not really, I was jut super high and seen some sort of fly eating away and a leaf and paniced lol!

The other thing that happened was all the leafs began yellowing I’m assuming from lack of nutrition since after I top dressed with some barley is got better, but I caught it way late.

Drying went I think decent for my first time. I had a couple branches I messed up and didn’t make hangers for but I made it work.

My only struggle I had was keeping enough humidity in the room. I was scared if I brought it above 45ish percent I might be mold since it’s such a tiny room with a humidifier in it.

Trimming was a great learning process, it took me a few hours but towards the end I was getting “decent” and going faster. I way over trimmed the first half, and the weed is a too dry so if I bumped it some of the flower would break off.

As for the weed itself, not the best quality lol. Very stretchy not dense at all, the high is nice but I pulled it a little too late so it’s a little more “medicated”. The smoke itself is actually smooth which is awesome.

All in all, I did damn near everything wrong, chose a strain that’s notoriously hard to grow for my first grow (og kush) and still grew something!

I’m preparing for my second cycle right now. I got worms from my back yard just last night. I have alph alpha seeds on the way and will be growing that a week or so prior to putting my second seed into the soil. I also have the leafs that managed to stay in tact as soil cover for now.

I’ll be growing another og kush auto flower just for comparisons sake.

And these are the changes I plan on making and explanations for why.

Focus on climate! For me I’m in a tiny room that it tempature controlled by my house, but my humidity drops crazy low at night and almost normal during the morning and I have no idea why but my entire house is this way. which means sometimes my rh would be 29 and if I forgot to turn the humidifier off I would walk in and see 70% rh! My rh was so hard on the plants that every matured leaf had their tips curled and dead

Do the minimum defoliation! This seems so damned obvious and is, but if you’re me this clearly isn’t the case! I like smoking in the room with my plant and going through and checking throughout the plant making sure everything is good. When I smoke too much, every time I decide taking a few leafs off is a good idea... so I need to stop that lmao!

Always use pruners or clippers to defoliate when you need too! I was twisting a leaf off and damage the entire branch by fibers that weren’t broken off. I’m sure once I get better I may break my own rule but for now this is needed!

Cut the bottom branches off there were atleast four or 5 branches that grew multiple feet long on the inside of the plant and produced nearly nothing. Surely it’s less energy on the plant, hopefully the stress won’t be too much.

Use a scrog or something to aid growth, atleast in flower. I think it will just produce better quality and make the plant work less.

Top dress/feed every 10days. I’m using mofo’s amendment schedule I should’ve done this from the start but didn’t!

I have some photos I’ll post a little later, it’s nothing impressive I promise! Lol
Nice to hear from you again brother and we all live and learn, its the nature of life itself.
The action plan you have seems legit buddy, dont over stress your head tho, no use growing meds if the process itself is adding to potential radical accumulation. Stressed minds are ultimately the most harmful for the human body.

I suggest you might want to spend time drinking Saffron tea instead of smoking with your plants. I think saffron is a better drug for the mind where we are seeking relaxation and buoyancy without neglecting memory. There is no research on cannabis that i have found, that it impairs your decision making ability, at least where that research itself doesn't appear flawed by methodology, but I dont smoke around my plants just so i dont forget to do things.
I also have task sheets mate, sounds geeky but its a hangover from farming school that I always do instinctively now, whenever I consider planting anything! I am gad i do, it helps me to trouble shoot, prevents me doubling up or missing jobs. I plot all of this on a growing schedule, this is just an annual calendar mate :)

Plants are like clocks, they can be used to remind us time is passing. If we dont do things on time, we may as well not bother as often times protein cascades and related biological pathways induced, mean the doors are shut to our toolkits. Secondary paths are activated to compensate for less than perfect conditions, and our interference is then not welcome unless we too have evolved to consider the switch in process our previous tardiness may have encouraged, and so what we might do right in the moment to boost alternate growth induced pathways rooted in survival can be very counter intuitive to that we have learned before.

I agree inside lighting requires a finer hand for plant pruning. A better understanding of plant training techniques to maximize the sweet spot of effective light and our plants time in it is time well spent.
Removing branches that fall outside of the sweet spot will give your plant more energy to invest where the light does make a difference. removing too many sun collecting leaves is always a bad idea given how critical leaves are to plant life
Unlike our sun, any man made light has serious limitations when faced with any distance to travel. the light 1ft away from the bulb is substantially reduced, where a foot in outside light makes no difference at all.
Use a light meter to map out the sweet spots in your space. use technology to improve the areas you can, eg using Mylar based reflective materials or other which will help control the losses. added, leaves in the shade, versus those in the light is how plants see or at east understand where they are. if we remove too much we simply confuse our plant and this causes widespread chaos. No more than 30% ever IMO
Understand it is environment that grows decent plants. We can help it with bottles and training, but we cant grow gems where the environment isnt playing its role, or we dont have the budget to decide ourselves :)

Its a blessing plants are so determined to grow :)

Last edited:
F

FutureGrower

I've never tried saffron before but I'll look it up and try It! My decision making stoned is usually way better than sober at times but I guess I have some undiagnosed OCD or something and the power or Christ compels me to rrmovethe leafs lol

I do have a calendar actually and I always have a blank piece of paper for any notes I need to remember but I'm going to go one step further I believe and make notes in my phone to do whatever the plant needs... I wasn't going to but after reading your message this will 100% help

I will be planning on par meters, mylar/reflective lining in the future just for financial reasons mostly but also I want to add positive steps each time and narrow down the things that make the most impact.

Thanks for your reply buddy good to talk with you again!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
to add some of the most devastating erb I ever toked was loose fluffy sativa. Not sure why everyone nowadays is so hooked on nugz so tight it breaks the teeth of our grinders....... :cool: its all about the medicine not so much the looks or texture. But that's just me sayn. Each to their own....... :D

Top Bottom