First grow!!! Any advice appreciated

• Thread starter Gdawwwg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

So im setting up my first grow in the uk btw 🇬🇧

Iv done a fair bit of reserach. And just about to order all i need to get setup. Heres what im starting with.

. Mars hydro 1.2x1.2x2m
With sp3000. 6inch inline duct fan carbon filter combo
. Iws oxypot single x4
. 2 oscilating 6inch fans
. 8 outlet air pump
. GH hydro flora grow nutes
. Hydroguard not available so thinking great white
. Digital thermometer
. Ph tester
. Ph up and down
. Humidifier & demudifier
. Scrog net
Not sure which ph pen or thermometer or ec readers to get. Alot on the market. Something budget and accurate would be ideal. Any suggestions??

Have i missed anything off??? Please let me know.

The plan 🙏🏽
So i wanna put 4 plants in dwc. Single oxypots. 5 gallon buckets. With 2 airstone in each bucket. I was gunna use tap water(still need to test it to check ppm) but i have read that is not always great. Im hoping where i am its not too much of a problem. Use GH nutes because they seem a popular choice. And great white instead of hydroguard to keep roots healthy..iv seen the basics to run a smooth dwc grow.
. Keep water temps down
. Humidity and tent temps
. Ph 5.5-6.5
.change wateer once a week.
. Topping and lollipoping

Probably sick of nubes like me posting by now. But its worth a shot. Any advice or help is appreciated. Just want my first grow to go as smooth as possible. Feel free to take the piss i have thick skin 😁

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I just looked up oxypots - are you sure they hold water? or are you putting them in a 5 gal bucket? I'm confused.

I think you are going to have buckets not connected to anything, not RDWC, correct? How do you change water when the plants are as big as you? and you mention a scrog net, once those are locked in you can't lift the plants or move them without damage.

If this is your first setup, I think you will find it much easier and more controllable to plum the buckets into an external res.

BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

Im running the sp3000 also. Get a dimmer for the lights. Some will say you dont need it, tis some bullshit 😂 EVERY plant is different and some do not like full intensity and this light kicks ass so even if your plant doesnt mind full intensity, dim the light even 10 tp 15% and itll make sure the leds last longer. Also get some stuff incase things go wrong, like mold of pests, ive dealt with both and this is my first grow. Im getting spinosad and maybe purecrop. Idk if dwc attracts bugs like soil but if dwc can experience these issues then its better to already have the products to treat the issues at 1st sign rather than wait and allow it to spread. Idk what brand timer you have but if its cheaper buy a backup. If you can get the 40$ usb microscope that attaches to your phone to inspect trichomes for harvest and to diagnose issues. If i think of any other items ive needed or wanted ill edit

Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

Yeh better be safe than sorry. I feel like i need a back up of everything lol. But thats just way too much money.

Also struggling on which ph and ec meters to buy. So many mixed reviews put me off. Bluelab seem generally the favourite but more at the high end. I was gunna get 'essentials' brand ph and ec meter because they are slightly cheaper.

I think pests are not as much of an issue in dwc from what iv heard. But again better to be safe i spose. Main issue iv heard about is root rot mostly because of high water temps.

My mistake. Im buying the ts3000 not the 'sp' im sure they have a dimmer built in. I might be wrong though. Iv read so much the past month my head is scrambled 📖🤔😳

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Is that a MarsHydro light? They have a bad rep. I would choose a different light.

Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

I just looked up oxypots - are you sure they hold water? or are you putting them in a 5 gal bucket? I'm confused.

I think you are going to have buckets not connected to anything, not RDWC, correct? How do you change water when the plants are as big as you? and you mention a scrog net, once those are locked in you can't lift the plants or move them without damage.

If this is your first setup, I think you will find it much easier and more controllable to plum the buckets into an external res.
I posted a photo of the pot. Yeah that was the plan. I know its more hassle. I did look at the alien rdwc setup(looks amazing) the cost slightly put me off. As its a first grow didnt wanna chuck too much in and lose a heap of money.

All in all iv spent about close to 1500 total.

I was hoping i. Could transfer them into a spare pot (purely for water changes) of just water while i empty whatevers left and top off the water with fresh nutes etc once a week.. I saw a video of a guy doing same thing. Bit time consuming but 4 pots should be ok. Or at least thats what im. Hoping🤞🏼

I might be wrong here(most likely 100% wrong) but can i not just slide the scrog net up as its just hooked on the tent structure. Thinking as im typing i see what you mean that will be difficult without damage. Will have to research that more.

In my head it seems so simple. Love the idea of rdwc. Just dont have the confidence to set up my own. I mean iv seen a few diy videos but i thought 4 single pots would be easier

Screenshot 20211106 002459 comsecandroidappsbrowser
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

First grow? A word of advice. Growing pot is a lot of work. A lot more than you can imagine. Keep it very simple for a couple of grows.
It's easy to get sucked into spending a lot of money only to kill your plants with kindness or decide it takes up more time than you want to spend on your hands and knees with your head in the tent.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Yes its a marshydro light. Iv only seen good reviews tbh. Thats what swayed me towards them.
The lights themselves are not that bad. But customer service is almost zero.
I realize the price point is important, but lights are the single most critical factor in your grow. Spend a bit more for better quality lighting.

Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

First grow? A word of advice. Growing pot is a lot of work. A lot more than you can imagine. Keep it very simple for a couple of grows.
It's easy to get sucked into spending a lot of money only to kill your plants with kindness or decide it takes up more time than you want to spend on your hands and knees with your head in the tent.
Yeh i bet. Im willing to put the time in and also i know its gunna be a learning curve. Most peoples first grows had problems im. Guessing. Been wanting to start growing for years just never had the space

Now a friend has kindly donated their loft space it was too good of a chance to pass up.

I picked dwc as my growing method because i wanted the best possible yield in a small space. Also one of the easier hydroponic setups for beginners. Only time will tell.

Appreciate what youre saying though. Worst case scenario after two harvests i should recoup the money lost. Then its either time to quit or keep learning and pushing forward

Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

I realize the price point is important, but lights are the single most critical factor in your grow. Spend a bit more for better quality lighting.
Ah ok i see. Just going off reviews and setups iv seen online they look decent. Its close to £450 for the 1 light so i didnt go for the really low budget. Thought it would be more than enough for 1.2mx1.2m

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
How important is CS for a grow light though? I mean really, it's plug and play unless something abnormal goes wrong or it was damaged upon delivery and unboxing. #spiderfarmer isn't much different from Mars but loads of folks here seem to love them 🤔 (Even though they can't apparently keep up with their own posts...Lol 🤣)

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

How important is CS for a grow light though? I mean really, it's plug and play unless something abnormal goes wrong or it was damaged upon delivery and unboxing. #spiderfarmer isn't much different from Mars but loads of folks here seem to love them 🤔 (Even though they can't apparently keep up with their own posts...Lol 🤣)
Is customer service important to the grow? Yes, it helps with peace of mind which relates to how well you deal with the issues of your plants.
True, it's not going to directly hurt the grow itself, but why would I buy something that if it breaks, I already know there is no support? That is a waste of time, effort and money.

Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

Thats the two lights i had in mind. Im. Sure there was hardly any difference between the 2. I think the spider cost slightly more. After watching hours of unboxing videos etc 🤣 i decided ts3000 was the one for me

Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

Is customer service important to the grow? Yes, it helps with peace of mind which relates to how well you deal with the issues of your plants.
True, it's not going to directly hurt the grow itself, but why would I buy something that if it breaks, I already know there is no support? That is a waste of time, effort and money.
I hope that isnt the case and everything goes as planned. As long as everything arrives in working order il be just happy to get started.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter

I disagree, no light company will troubleshoot your plants for you. It's a light, period. There are far too many other variables that can impact plants and how are they to tell the light is the problem.

I think one's own research on lighting is better met with results and hands on experience in decision making.

But to your point, we have warranties on these lights. If it's a problem contacting the company for a replacement then yes...most definitely this is an issue and this issue should be expressed to other folks for awareness. I get what you're saying.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Yeh better be safe than sorry. I feel like i need a back up of everything lol. But thats just way too much money.

Also struggling on which ph and ec meters to buy. So many mixed reviews put me off. Bluelab seem generally the favourite but more at the high end. I was gunna get 'essentials' brand ph and ec meter because they are slightly cheaper.

I think pests are not as much of an issue in dwc from what iv heard. But again better to be safe i spose. Main issue iv heard about is root rot mostly because of high water temps.

My mistake. Im buying the ts3000 not the 'sp' im sure they have a dimmer built in. I might be wrong though. Iv read so much the past month my head is scrambled 📖🤔😳
Best EC meter.

Best pH meter

Get 2 or 3 gallon pots, maximum. Brick coconut choir is very convenient for indoor grows.
Use master blend; calcium nitrate, dollar store mag sulfate, and buy some humic/fluvic.

Few other items to pick up;
monopotassium phosphate. 1 lb
calcium hydroxide (pickling lime) 1 lb
potassium hydroxide 1 lb

Things to include for flowering;
Alfalfa seeds;
unfiltered honey
kelp

Some form of Amino acid. I use this; cause it's simple, and good.

Make your own lactobacillus; for foliar; Preventing PM.

Get your substrate inoculated with something like this; Microbrew, but breed your own going forward.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I disagree, no light company will troubleshoot your plants for you. It's a light, period. There are far too many other variables that can impact plants and how are they to tell the light is the problem.

I think one's own research on lighting is better met with results and hands on experience in decision making.

But to your point, we have warranties on these lights. If it's a problem contacting the company for a replacement then yes...most definitely this is an issue and this issue should be expressed to other folks for awareness. I get what you're saying.
It's good to know the company is going to respond if the light fails, and send you a replacement.

I had an issue where I actually caused my own problems (toasted power supply) with the SF1000, and they sent me a replacement, anyhow. All they wanted was pic's of the dead light. bam! it was replaced. It took some time to get in the mail, but they were responsive.

I even took the dead panel, and soldered it into the new one, and now it drives both lights, but runs much cooler.

IMG 20211105 185918559
IMG 20211105 185911302
Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

Anybody got anything to say on these filters. R/o units bit pricey and require setup. Saw these and thought they looked a good cheaper alternative. I know they are small. I would have to run them say 4 times to get enough for for 4 bucket changes once a week. But i would just run them and fill up a water butt so its there ready at end of the week.

Screenshot 20211107 122759 comsecandroidappsbrowser
Screenshot 20211107 122739 comsecandroidappsbrowser
Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

Bad maths lol. Like 10-12 times i would need to run them a week. Seems a lot actually. Roughly i would need 60 litres of water to do a 4 bucket change

Latest posts

Top Bottom