First grow, first diary. We are In Utero.

• Thread starter SC69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SC69

SC69

Supporter
This damn soil and the water. I just need to throw in the towel. Hahaha. “Don’t let it get dry or wet, leave it consistently moist.” I spy with my little eye a word that starts with F! Am I taking this too seriously? The drying thing?

it’s dry on top, finger and meter tell me middle too. It’s wet on the bottom by meter. If I water it, I’ll moisten the top/mid a bit, but wet the bottom more. If I go too far and moisten the top/mid too much, I smell disaster. Haha. Help!! @PK1 you know my old watering habit helped doom me outdoors, and that I’ve been trying to be better. I know the plant will tell me but it can’t be great for it to constantly have to ask for water. I’d be pissed and it’s alive like i am, right? I just want it to have it. It was 6 days last time but I believe I overdid it in the transplant. It’s been only 4 days though. I don’t want to give it to them. I kind of feel like a dude who drown his last girlfriend and won’t give the new one any water. Haha.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

If you get a meter and use it the way we recommend, then your soil will always have a slight dampness which you want, but mostly dry, which you also want.
It's a fine line and takes just a bit of practice.

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I can just talk here right, my “diary” etc. @PK1 you got me right on the spot with the light pretty quick when I had it too close and high. They seem to love it. I have maintained the height every couple days. At what point, will I increase? Not for a while because they love it and are growing, or do they need more soon? Increase it slowly, over days? Lower and higher intensity, or one or the other?

I do have what’s become known as a pretty powerful light for only 600watts since I bought it. I only picked it over an E720 because a review said that the 720 actually drew 780w from the wall, and this drew 612w in real world tests. I was really trying to be conscious of it because even though I’ll be paying it, I don’t want the roommates shocked. I realize the difference is nothing, I’m just weird. I’m happy though and feel I got the better product. It didn’t hurt that the PhotonTek just has a cool look as well. I know you or anyone can’t give me exacts. I’m just trying to figure the thing out. I’m liable. Haha.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
If you get a meter and use it the way we recommend, then your soil will always have a slight dampness which you want, but mostly dry, which you also want.
It's a fine line and takes just a bit of practice.

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL
It’s where you said. It’s reading wet. So, you’re telling me I’m insane and leave it. The top and middle is fine? Haha. I’m not sure if maybe there could be differences in living soils too. They all have different bases and formulas. This maker says never dry.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
It’s where you said. It’s reading wet. So, you’re telling me I’m insane and leave it. The top and middle is fine? Haha. I’m not sure if maybe there could be differences in living soils too. They all have different bases and formulas. This maker says never dry.
But I hear you because that’s impossible. I am insane. The bottom would get muddy. I got you. I’m waiting. I’m taking the “dry” thing too literally. They mean dried out complete and full.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
This is just a bit ago. I’m pretty happy but if anyone sees something, please, as always, say something. I do not know. Someone said watch the “gal” in the back because she might be a dude. She’s been tall like that the whole time. She was the end of a 12” (so silly) seedling light so got some stretch early, but there’s no explaining since, and the one on the other end got normal.
Ugh. I keep forgetting. Gorilla Glue or Bruce Banner. There’s 2 more of each in the pic. I will go now and check for the 100th time and report.

Legs is Gorilla Glue. Confirmed.
3957186F 41FE 4783 A3A7 5667B5FC7594

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Lookin good.

Make 2 holes in the side of each pot. One at a quarter the way up, another at half. In living soil, when the middle is reading around 2 to 3 and the bottom is 3 to 4, it's time to water. They are not completely dry, but they are dry enough. If you do not let them dry a bit, you will get root rot and destroy the plant.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Lookin good.

Make 2 holes in the side of each pot. One at a quarter the way up, another at half. In living soil, when the middle is reading around 2 to 3 and the bottom is 3 to 4, it's time to water. They are not completely dry, but they are dry enough. If you do not let them dry a bit, you will get root rot and destroy the plant.
That is why I was so confused and realize it was me overthinking it (again). It won’t dry to the point of danger, while the bottom is still ok. You’ll all get me there. I’m just a bit slow on uptake. It needs to stew. Ha.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Lookin good.

sounds like what i've been saying for the last three pages 😄

SC69

SC69

Supporter
sounds like what i've been saying for the last three pages 😄
I listened to you every step. And said so.

This came during it and I did it.

Now I cleared up my overthinking the term dry, being in a complete different medium. And gave them nothing. ✌️

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
you wanna know something, when i was growing my 3rd plant i had a surprise trip to take that would take four days. I watered the plant until I had run off, i also allowed the fiber pot to sit in the runoff water for 10 min just so that the entire soil and fiber pot was soaked. It made the plant droopy and i went on my trip. Four days become ten days and i thought for sure the plant was dead when i would returned. Well guess what, The plant was more happy than ever, it was grown and had big ass leafs and the bottom of the pot was slight moist.

That experinse showed me that the more i watched and cared for it the more problems there were. feeding it when it was needed and Leaving it was the best thing that happen to that plant. lol!

Moshmen

Moshmen

you wanna know something, when i was growing my 3rd plant i had a surprise trip to take that would take four days. I watered the plant until I had run off, i also allowed the fiber pot to sit in the runoff water for 10 min just so that the entire soil and fiber pot was soaked. It made the plant droopy and i went on my trip. Four days become ten days and i thought for sure the plant was dead when i would returned. Well guess what, The plant was more happy than ever, it was grown and had big ass leafs and the bottom of the pot was slight moist.

That experinse showed me that the more i watched and cared for it the more problems there were. feeding it when it was needed and Leaving it was the best thing that happen to that plant. lol!
Overloving #1 killer! Been there done that

SC69

SC69

Supporter

In your case yes. And it works for you. It’s not necessary though and I can’t be faulted for thinking I don’t want them to stress, I just want it done, correctly. And if this medium dries out completely, with the plants in it, I’ll never get it back to life until it’s able to be fully amended. I am not watering the plant!!! I really don’t understand the response that much. There’s no issues. I did and have been listening to you. We keep having spots where maybe you aren’t reading fully. For me, watering to runoff, is not ideal and not recommended. My nutrients aren’t in the water. They’re in the soil. The idea is to keep them there. In living form, creating it.

Last edited:
SC69

SC69

Supporter
Overloving #1 killer! Been there done that
Yea, I was up there once today. Wait, twice because I went back to make sure big gal was GG. It’s the soil I wasn’t understanding fully and am straightened out. I’m much more calm than I was at first. I realized I was going to kill them being too anxious. Haha.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
lets figure out what caused the leaves to die, and then i would like you to only keep your eyes on your termometer. Like don't even look at the plants for seven days and NIGHTS! very important 🤣

SC69

SC69

Supporter
lets figure out what caused the leaves to die, and then i would like you to only keep your eyes on your termometer. Like don't even look at the plants for seven days and NIGHTS! very important 🤣
Which leaves? The 2 plants with 2 bottom dead yellow leaves? Is it all that uncommon? Why does everything else look ok? Was it from the transplant? I don’t know. Doesn’t seem to be an ongoing issue.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
You again didn’t read what I’d written. Hahaha. I didn’t have to look today to see if any critters had eaten anything? Didn’t have to inspect for bugs etc?

Reactions: PK1

Latest posts

Top Bottom