First growing tent aka newbie here

• Thread starter Jorj
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jorj

Jorj

Hello,

So it seems that I'm back in business. Mounted the hood, remade the vent system, replace the ducting and now it work's. I'm waiting for oppinions.

Business 1
Business 2
Business 3
Snaggleroots

Snaggleroots

Hello :), where do you pull your fresh air from?
You dont need a carbon filter until your plants start stinking.
Can you vent your air into another area besides your grow area, like outside, up a chimney, maybe through a dryer vent, or anything like that?

Jorj

Jorj

The whole tent is near a window. At the top is gets the vicious air out and sucking fresh on the bottom. I'm still testing and learning things, so it tooked me a while to put the ventilation in place. Carbon filter included :))

Jorj

Jorj

@Sh311Sh0ck3d - Not the case here. Today, at 8:30am were 7C... At 4:00AM were 4C. My girls are at 18-20C in the morning, when I start the light. And a friend still needs to sleep in the room :))

@CFC7143 Thanks! It means that I'm on the right track

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

@Sh311Sh0ck3d - Not the case here. Today, at 8:30am were 7C... At 4:00AM were 4C. My girls are at 18-20C in the morning, when I start the light. And a friend still needs to sleep in the room :))

@CFC7143 Thanks! It means that I'm on the right track
As long as its warmer when you have the lights on than when they are off, in your grow space. A negative differencial is not desirable.
Most places in nature are cooler at night, darkness than they are during day light hours. Whatever we are growing we try to emulate nature.
Temps drop here with the Sun and rise again the next day with the Sun, as you'd expect.
When you have some spare cash you should look at the LED range avilable. I like Lumatek, they are now producing the same lights for the US and Canada market. The biggest advantage I find is the lack of heat produced, indeed that is why I got rid of the 3 x 600 hps and replaced them with two Lumatek 600 watt pro LEDs. I was struggling with temps in the high 30's and no way to bring fresh air into the room. I cannot know holes in ceilings or walls to bring air in. Its not ideal but the LED's have resolved my heat issues. Besides, the plants seem to be doing better, probably because they are not being cooked.

Jorj

Jorj

Hello again guys,

Got a question about trimming. If some bottom leaves don't get enough light because of top leaves, what's to be done? And my cat bit a few leaves btw. Didn't get them down, but the leaves have some marks. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
If you plan on removing the bottom leaves anyway you could smear a little tabasco sauce on them first and leave them for a few days, that will teach the cat not to go near your plants ever again if it chews on them.

Jorj

Jorj

@JSH1973 didn't tough about that, but will do. Thanks for the good advice ! :))

Can I ask your oppinion about the plants as well?

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
@JSH1973 didn't tough about that, but will do. Thanks for the good advice ! :))

Can I ask your oppinion about the plants as well?
In my eyes your plants look really good but bear in mind I'm on my first grow myself so I'm not exactly the most experienced.

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Hello,

Managed to take some photos of my girls. I appreciate any opinion, just to give one :D
They look like they are very healthy and well looked after. The side branching is very long, if you cut it of just above the second node of the branch you could pop the cutting/s into a glass of water and watch them grow roots. If you are careful everytime you take a cutting two more shoots will appear in its place.
You may have to get some supporter on those branches. These plants grow really quickly and can get out of control if you don't start a " train" them. Its much easier than it sounds. Just a matter of providing support for the lower branches as when the bud starts to grow you don't want the weight to break the branch. I am training a Sundae Driver at the min. I haven't been posting much about that but I will get some photos uploaded, its still early days. Keep in mind, not all strains respond well to " topping" so read up plenty before you go chopping up your plants!
Whatever you've been doing, seems to be working great.

Jorj

Jorj

First time growing, lack of experience, that's my main concern, that I don't know what to chop and don't want to ruin them. Can you draw on my plants what should I cut, please?

I will search the forum also

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

First time growing, lack of experience, that's my main concern, that I don't know what to chop and don't want to ruin them. Can you draw on my plants what should I cut, please?

I will search the forum also
The plant is still in veg right?
Find a diagram of a cannabis plant, showing branches and main stem.
Before you do that make sure you have a clean blade, not one that you will cut yourself with, you must take great care. I use a scalpel blade and a plastic plant label. I put the plastic tag behind the branch I am cutting, in front off my finger so as when I cut the stem I am supporting it and the blade its not going to cut me, it will hit the plastic tag, anything will do as long as it stops the blade cutting on through and into you.
I do this to take clones, you might not want to bother and if that is the case then you could just use scissors but still take care. If you cut above the second node on any branch the place you took the snip from will replace it with 2! You can cause a plant to "bush out" by just nipping the ends, new growth but again " topping" plants, nipping the top off the center stem isn't for every strain, you could destroy a plant by nipping the top or you could double or triple your yield depending on how you " train" the plant. Obviously there is more to increased yield than just training the plants but this definitely helps.
Looking at your plant right now the easiest thing to do would be to just get it cut back how you want it and then get some strong thin sticks and carefully place them into the soil so they come up alongside the branch, or main stem, you want to support. Use something that wont cut into the plant as it grows to attach the branch to the support. There are many examples of this.
Also look at 'SCROG" or screen of green. Its a simple method to maximize your yield without changing lights ir number of plants. The plants are flexible but they will snap if you are not patient. Bend the branches a little every day, don't rush it, nobody is going anywhere so just take your time. If you take care, as in be careful around the plants, and take your time, you and your plant/s will do fine.
Anything you cut off the plant, with a stem, can be rooted, the ideal length will vary depending on who you ask but I'd say as long as they need to be to reach the water they will need to live. Cuttings don't really need any light to grow roots but they do better in a temperature between 18C and 22C.

Top Bottom