First growing tent aka newbie here

• Thread starter Jorj
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jorj

Jorj

Quite understood what should i need to do. Your advice is to make more topping at once or should I do this over time? I will try to experiment on one plant.

And yes, the plants are still in vegetative. They have 39 days

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

You don't want to stress the plants too much. If I was topping a pla that's all i would do to it that day, for a few days to allow it to recover from any shock.
Taking cuttings from the lower branches should not stress a plant too much and I have taken as many as a dozen cuttings from one plant at a time. This Sundae Driver was " Topped" a few days ago, after I had started training the lower branches.
I must tell you I am NOT an expert in this area and beyond a couple of screens and staking out plants with a support for the main stem my knowledge in this area is limited so be sceptical of everything I say.

20201105 180252 HDR
20201105 180303 HDR
20201105 180336 HDR
Jorj

Jorj

As far as I'm reading, I begin to have more questions. It's late to do the topping? Should I cut the main stem at this state? Saw on forum that most of the users do this when the plants are younger.

They are auto's as well, and I saw that some guys don't recommend this.

But I trust your judgement, as I saw that it works for you. Thanks, by the way.

Last edited:
Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

As far as I'm reading, I begin to have more questions. It's late to do the topping? Should I cut the main stem at this state? Saw on forum that most of the users do this when the plants are younger.

They are auto's as well, and I saw that some guys don't recommend this.

But I trust your judgement, as I saw that it works for you. Thanks, by the way.
I wouldn't do it this time, wait until you get this grow done. But you could still trim off half a dozen of the lower branches, this won't hurt the plant and will get rid of those stretched lower branches that would use up more energy and won't produce very much plus if you place the cuttings into a glass of water they should root for you and that will give you some extra plants to play around with.
Take the cuttings above 2nd node on branches, do the first 4 or 6 or 2 if you like, whatever you feel comfortable cutting off. As long as you use clean tools and take care you won't do any harm, in fact it will help the plant fill out and make it stronger.

Jorj

Jorj

Just to be sure that I've got it. For example, on the first node, should I cut the fan leaves and above the second node of the branch? Tried to make a drawing on the plant.

Cutting
Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

There this book, you can download it in pdf for free. Its called the Cannabis Growers Bible by Greg Green. Make sure its Greg Green.
Its been a long time since I read that book cover to cover, twice, but its the only book you will ever need to read.
I take fan leaves off that are dying, thats all, until in flower and then I will remove fan leaves that shade bud sites from the light.
You can just nip the very end of the branch where the new growth it or move down the branch to the next node and cut it there.
If you were cutting someones hair for the first time, you wouldn't go crazy and leave the person bald! Well dont go crazy on that plant or it could end up bald!
I believe these plants are alive and at some level even aware so you need to be relaxed and confident in what youre doing.
Start with the very bottom branches then it won't matter too much if you mess up but I really don see that you will. The second node up the bramch working from the main stem is where you need to cut to get the plant to replace what you just cut off. Go to the end side of the node so the nide gets left of the plant.
As you learn you will be more sure of yourself and you will find yourself wanting to learn all there is no know, which will take a whole lifetime and you will still be learning.
If I have any plants kicking around that I can take reasonable photos of that will show you what I am talking about I will upload them here. Not sure I have such a plant right now but I will take a look, there maybe a clone with enough growth to be able to get a good photo of. Download that book, most useful thing I can tell you about growing Cannabis. Cannabis Growers Bible, Greg Green. My photos have been published in the Cannabis Breeders Bible by the same guy.

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Just to be sure that I've got it. For example, on the first node, should I cut the fan leaves and above the second node of the branch? Tried to make a drawing on the plant.
Hey, how are you doing?
This is where you want to be
Link below, couldn't post it here?
Of course nobody is getting those sort of results first time but it just shows what is possible. I don't know if that plant is from seed or not but by just looking at that photo I can tell you that the particular strain of cannabis responds well to " High Stress Training". I haven't been to his profile but If I was growing in a tent, or not, I'd keep an eye on what that guy is doing because he is doing it right. Very impressive with just one plant.

Last edited:
Jorj

Jorj

Hello and sorry for the late reply. Well, I trimmed the bottom and they seem oke.

Yes, that looks like an impressive plant, he know what he’s doing. For me, as a begginer, my main plan os to get them trough the whole procces. Had couple of tries and fails.

After these two, I will research more and go for feminised plants, not autos. Seems more challenging

594D433A 5A3B 4BEE BFFC 63391E0678F7
853403AD 27B5 404E BE22 89124EFEEDFE
98F9EBAF DBB3 4870 B202 C457D968BDED
Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Hello and sorry for the late reply. Well, I trimmed the bottom and they seem oke.

Yes, that looks like an impressive plant, he know what he’s doing. For me, as a begginer, my main plan os to get them trough the whole procces. Had couple of tries and fails.

After these two, I will research more and go for feminised plants, not autos. Seems more challenging
Yes, take your time. You should have complete control over the plants and their environment. Once you do you will find growing like riding a bike.
Did you keep what you cut off?
You know clones not only carry the parent plants sex but they also carry the parents genetic age. Those bubble gum clones about a week or so from finishing are over a year old. I cracked those seeds on the 10/19/19.

Jorj

Jorj

Kind of, yes, kept the leaves to train the cats to stop eating them:)).

I did put two branches in water, but they died rapidly, so I abandoned. I'll try again when I'll trim, because I don't have another branch

RR1

RR1

It will work without the prefilter 1-2 days, till the air cooled hood will arrive and I'll remake the whole system. Not a big issue, right?
One thing I noticed about your tent grow. You have the setup wrong, IMO. Definitely use the sealed hood, use your blower to suck air through your lights, then use an inline carbon filter, then out the room, if you are worried about smell. (I'm not) By pulling air through the tent vents, then through the open end of your sealed hood, then out, is twofold. 1. You always are pulling fresh fresh air into your tent through the bottom vents. 2. You are always pulling the heat out of your tent through your lights. Much easier to keep 21-26c.
Good luck,
RR1

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Kind of, yes, kept the leaves to train the cats to stop eating them:)).

I did put two branches in water, but they died rapidly, so I abandoned. I'll try again when I'll trim, because I don't have another branch
Oh no, "cuttings" go into like a shock when you take them from the main plants and they look like they are wilting, or dying but if youre patient and give them a day they recover and perk up. They don't need much light, just a temperature around 18C to 22C and you should start to see a change in the stems with a week and roots soon after. I use rockwool cubes but I take a lot of cuttings and the cubes just help keep things tidy.

20201011 144932 HDR2
Jorj

Jorj

One thing I noticed about your tent grow. You have the setup wrong, IMO. Definitely use the sealed hood, use your blower to suck air through your lights, then use an inline carbon filter, then out the room, if you are worried about smell. (I'm not) By pulling air through the tent vents, then through the open end of your sealed hood, then out, is twofold. 1. You always are pulling fresh fresh air into your tent through the bottom vents. 2. You are always pulling the heat out of your tent through your lights. Much easier to keep 21-26c.
Good luck,
RR1
Quite tried your way, but I have limited space between walls and tent ( it's in a corner of the room) and I cannot make the air circulate better. Basically, the hot air stays near the bottom of the tent. Tried hood - extractor in tent, sucking trough the hood and blowing trough carbon filter, outside the tent. It was a lot of ducting and for me, didn't worked quite well so I've remained with the actual setup. Temps are between 22-25C now. 26C if my colleague plays on his PC.

As I'm doing it now, the hot air goes directly outside trough the window, thanks to some ducting.

@Sh311Sh0ck3d I did it the same way, but dried and died and now I don't have other cuttings.

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Temps are between 22-25C now

@Sh311Sh0ck3d I did it the same way, but dried and died and now I don't have other cuttings.
[/QUOTE]
Your Temps look good. An air moving fan, 6 " or so would help, especially if its placed so its blowing air from below the canopy. You can get a little clip on fan, Ive two of them, one on each Lumatek driver, keeping that kit cool will make it last longer.
You can take a cutting from pretty much anywhere on the plant. Might be more difficult to root. This cloning, although straightforward its not something you need to be worrying about too much. Its an excellent way to hang on to great genetics. Only once did I miss the opportunity to clone my plants, my first grow. Strain dependent, like Chronic, need as long as 10 weeks in veg to reach maturity but most strains need at least 8 weeks in veg ( from seed) before you should flower them and you can still take cuttings 21 days into flower, although its always best to take cuttings from plants in veg. I don't know if the same applies to "feminized" seeds. Only ever grew feminized seeds once and I didn't have great results.
You can be better prepared next time.
There's as many ways to grow Cannabis as there are strains. Remember, when it comes to plant food, especially nitrogen, less is more.

Jorj

Jorj

Please help? Its a sign of over or underwatering?:( Colors are good, but one of them is droopy. The one from the left side looks good, but on the right side, not that good. Some oppinions please?

Today, in the morning, were both fine :(

57F08F0D DF1D 44B1 9C67 DE4A52139FF0
255FF8F9 2693 46F3 8452 B872DCAE76D1
Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Please help? Its a sign of over or underwatering?:( Colors are good, but one of them is droopy. The one from the left side looks good, but on the right side, not that good. Some oppinions please?

Today, in the morning, were both fine :(
How much water are you giving them? When do you water them?
I try and water at the same time all the time, around 7 pm is the start of their day. You don't want to water them just before lights out, they won't use the water and it will drive up your humidity. Humidity always rises when the light is off, usually.
Plants always recover from under watering, as well as over watering. If you think you have over watered them just back off and let them dry out, obviously not too long.

Jorj

Jorj

2L at 2-3 days. Those are 18L pots, but they aren't fully covered with soil (another mistake made at the begining). I water them in the same time, usually in the second part of the day, when I take my work brake. Just a normal bottle, with couple of holes.

But it looks like over or underwater? Anyway, I will back up a bit, as you said.

Sh311Sh0ck3d

Sh311Sh0ck3d

2L at 2-3 days. Those are 18L pots, but they aren't fully covered with soil (another mistake made at the begining). I water them in the same time, usually in the second part of the day, when I take my work brake. Just a normal bottle, with couple of holes.

But it looks like over or underwater? Anyway, I will back up a bit, as you said.
That seems like a lot of water. I use much smaller containers, 5 1/2 litre pots for the 10 weeks of the plants life.
I only give them about 330 ml of water each every other day and they do fine on that. Over watering is the most common mistake made by new gardeners, even some of us who should know better can get a bit watering can happy. I've other plants I hadly water at all, those Sundae Drivers but they are just kicking around until I can create some space.
These plants are pretty hardy and difficult to kill.
This guy @BurnzYzBudZz is using similar size containers. Check out what he's doing as far as watering goes. I read a lot of these guys threads and they mention how much water to give the plants, they also talk about "run off" and not to let the plants stand in run off water too long.
I water my plants from below, I have them stood in plastic 1 x 1 metre trays but Ive a lot of plants to take care off and not much time. My lights don't come on until 7pm so unless I want to be up all night I need to be getting in there at 7 and get things sorted. I always try and get them sorted as soon as the lights come on because, firstly, that's when the plants are using it and secondly, I don't want any excess water in there when the lights go out. The extra water will drive up your humidity and that will lead to further problems for your plants, especially in flower.
I'd lay of the water until that soil dries out and then I'd give less more often and at the start of the plants day, which might not be the start of your day. Try and work it out, especially when you go into flower, that you feed, water at the beginning of the plants day. But less is more, remember.

Hopefull Stoner

Hopefull Stoner

@Snaggleroots can u pm me on making a vent for one hole to put in a window. new tent grow is coming up fast. thx.

Jorj

Jorj

@Sh311Sh0ck3d Hello and sorry again for the late response. Very busy days at work.

so, the problem was kind of solved. They were underwaterd. I've given to her water and she is fine now. Both of them are fine.

I apply the finger method and lifting the pots. I didn't had a problem till my last post, when i asked for a little help. So what is a correct amount of water in your oppinion, based on the pots and plants age? Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom