First Time 12 Site Ebb And Grogro

• Thread starter wasfromks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wasfromks

wasfromks

no man......you are doing exactly what you should be.....good job by the way.......
So my worry is that I have 5 buckets hooked up each is at least 2 gallons and my controller bucket is like 3 gallons.....if in 7 days time there isnt enough water in my reservoir it wont fill up each site......so i would either have to fill more in the res at cycle or i would have to refill my res sooner than 7 days because they just drink 25 gallons too quick to wait 7 days. Does that make sense? Maybe I should try 35 gallons.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

So my worry is that I have 5 buckets hooked up each is at least 2 gallons and my controller bucket is like 3 gallons.....if in 7 days time there isnt enough water in my reservoir it wont fill up each site......so i would either have to fill more in the res at cycle or i would have to refill my res sooner than 7 days because they just drink 25 gallons too quick to wait 7 days. Does that make sense? Maybe I should try 35 gallons.
I would add what you been adding. You want them to drink it all without having to top off. You don't want to waste nutes by having to throw them away. If my plant empties the system I just pour a new mix like I would for another for another week. But with yours you could just start with more nutes. Idk what's best honestly. I definitely wouldn't add so much you're throwing it away.

wasfromks

wasfromks

I would add what you been adding. You want them to drink it all without having to top off. You don't want to waste nutes by having to throw them away. If my plant empties the system I just pour a new mix like I would for another for another week. But with yours you could just start with more nutes. Idk what's best honestly. I definitely wouldn't add so much you're throwing it away.
I'm not talking about topping off....my res holds like 50-55gal something like that....say its empty and time to fill up and add mutes..... Instead of filling it up to 25g, I would fill it up to 35 gallons with the proper mix of nutes. 25 gallons just isn't enough in the res to get me 7 days. I could keep the ppm and mix the same just for a 35 gal batch instead of a 25 gal batch. Does that make sense?

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Yea perfect sense, but wish acted like it wasn't a good idea. To me, I just wouldn't mix do many gal that I had to throw away any. I'd just fill what they can drink.

wasfromks

wasfromks

Yea perfect sense, but wish acted like it wasn't a good idea. To me, I just wouldn't mix do many gal that I had to throw away any. I'd just fill what they can drink.
Aha I see what you are saying...why mix more than it will drink...so would it be ok if I filled 5gallon jugs and mix nutes for each 5 gallon jug that way I can just add them to the res as the plants drink through the week?

wasfromks

wasfromks

Like let's say I do the 25 gallons like I have been....then I take a culligan jug and mix up my bloom nutes in that jug.....then as the 25gallons is being consumed, just top off with my pre mixed 5 gallon jugs?

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Aha I see what you are saying...why mix more than it will drink...so would it be ok if I filled 5gallon jugs and mix nutes for each 5 gallon jug that way I can just add them to the res as the plants drink through the week?
I've got issues with topping off because it affects the ratio of the nutrients. Topping off with straight water is ok in my book. But I don't like adding nutes to nutes unless I'm raising total ppm on purpose. If you add nutes to nutes you don't know what that final ratio is. You may be getting close to tox/locking out certain nutes that are not being used as fat as others in the mix.

Wisher619

Wisher619

I very much agree with Jay.....now what you could do is top off with water and then take a reading of ppm and you can fill back up to original but most people ........unless they have it super dialed..........just top with water until 50% of the res has been drained of nutes which means it would then be at half strength.....so you have filled about half res with pure water......you then dump and change out to fresh again.....it ok for plants to deplete the nutes in a cycle.....
JMO

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I very much agree with Jay.....now what you could do is top off with water and then take a reading of ppm and you can fill back up to original but most people ........unless they have it super dialed..........just top with water until 50% of the res has been drained of nutes which means it would then be at half strength.....so you have filled about half res with pure water......you then dump and change out to fresh again.....it ok for plants to deplete the nutes in a cycle.....
JMO
I agree 100%. I like to let them drink it down. I know for a fact plants that are allowed to drink the nutes down grow faster then if you keep the res full. Idk if it's the exposure to air, or the wet/dry cycle or what but they stay happier with the res level dropping through out the week. Some say it makes the roots thick and ugly... I kinda see what they say but it doesn't affect growth negative in any way and the fine roots stay expanding at the bottom throughout the grow. This is all just my experiences and opinion.

wasfromks

wasfromks

I don't want to dilute the mix....and I see what you mean on not knowing how much of this nute its used vs that nute....so it could be dangerous to top off with more nutes.....i will just do the 25 gal and dump and refill from fresh when the plants have drank too much to fill the buckets or every 7 days what ever happens first. We are too close to the finish line to try anything new.

Wisher619

Wisher619

no usually what you do is this
1. fill res and fill with nute consentrate
2. every few days you top off with water....
3. nute level starts to drop and become deluted....always maintain ph ( never let it go above 6.2)
4. when you have toped off equivilant to half the res....or....your girls have depleted nutes to half strength...you dump and start over...usually 1-2 weeks depending on how much your girls drink...
that is pretty much the standard
I didnt know you werent doing that....
see with a DTW system.....nutes stay level never depleting so every few gallons I refill with water....until I am 50% nute strength...I then dump and start over
are you just letting them deplete the res and then starting over.....that could become dangerous.....not trying to alarm you
but next time check your ppm's when say at half full...you might be suprised at how high it is...as plants drink much more water then nutes...and the nutes become concentrated.......not trying to nock anyone off course....just didnt know how you were running your system

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

3. nute level starts to drop and become deluted....always maintain ph ( never let it go above 6.2)
4. when you have toped off equivilant to half the res....or....your girls have depleted nutes to half strength...you dump and start over...usually 1-2 weeks depending on how much your girls drink...
see with a DTW system.....nutes stay level never depleting so every few gallons I refill with water....until I am 50% nute strength...I then dump and start over
are you just letting them deplete the res and then starting over.....that could become dangerous.....not trying to alarm you
but next time check your ppm's when say at half full...you might be suprised at how high it is...as plants drink much more water then nutes...and the nutes become concentrated.......not trying to nock anyone off course....just didnt know how you were running your system
Ok, see I never top off and I keep the ppm level low enough that when I check mid week the ppm has dropped a lil bit. Now towards the end that gets harder but even then my ppm maybe raises 50-75ppm by the end of the res. If my ppm is jumping 100ppm or more I lower the ppm. Everything stays happy and balanced that way. But most of the time they drop 75-125ppm.

Wisher619

Wisher619

yeah gotcha......that is fine as well......
it is just easier...and you know...when they hit there stride they just start sucking shit down so you just keep topping off and checking ppm until 50% nute strength
I know peeps that top there nutes when they top there res....so they will let drain to say 30% and top back up to 100 then check ppm and up the nutes to reach max again
and then just dump and fill every 2 weeks...
there are alot of ways
to me the easiest and safiest is the way I explained just because there really is no tweeking at all...it is just super simple
but everone has there way....and if it works...no need to change anything....

unless some is running exactly the same shot as you but somehow pulling way more weight....then its time to question ...hahahah
but yeah you all should be fine

wasfromks

wasfromks

Makes sense I was doing the top off with ro if my ppm was higher...otherwise I was letting it ride if ppm was good.

wasfromks

wasfromks

Ok, see I never top off and I keep the ppm level low enough that when I check mid week the ppm has dropped a lil bit. Now towards the end that gets harder but even then my ppm maybe raises 50-75ppm by the end of the res. If my ppm is jumping 100ppm or more I lower the ppm. Everything stays happy and balanced that way. But most of the time they drop 75-125ppm.
Yes my ppm has been dropping since going into flower....I haven't had ppm rise since being in flower and I never have to adjust pH really ...I set it and check it but never end up having to adjust. I noticed that pH lowers instead of rises since I've been in flower.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Yes my ppm has been dropping since going into flower....I haven't had ppm rise since being in flower and I never have to adjust pH really ...I set it and check it but never end up having to adjust. I noticed that pH lowers instead of rises since I've been in flower.
That's exactly how I like my hydro. Set it and forget it. People make it hard. The ph being lower is a lil different for me tho. It's really rare that my ph drops. But you're doing great dude. Don't change nothing lol

wasfromks

wasfromks

That's exactly how I like my hydro. Set it and forget it. People make it hard. The ph being lower is a lil different for me tho. It's really rare that my ph drops. But you're doing great dude. Don't change nothing lol
They look super hashy

Wisher619

Wisher619

have to agree....you are lookin great.....just keep a watchfull eye for any changes.....I usually notice around week 6-7 girls start sucking there water down quickley.....and res may become consentrated....then again you all keep your ppm's really low so you probably wouldnt ever go over what would be harmfull.....and that is why you guys are good to go.....alot of peeps I have run with will run around 2.0.....so when plants start hittin the stride....it can climb to 2.5-2.8 even 3 in like 2 days......

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

have to agree....you are lookin great.....just keep a watchfull eye for any changes.....I usually notice around week 6-7 girls start sucking there water down quickley.....and res may become consentrated....then again you all keep your ppm's really low so you probably wouldnt ever go over what would be harmfull.....and that is why you guys are good to go.....alot of peeps I have run with will run around 2.0.....so when plants start hittin the stride....it can climb to 2.5-2.8 even 3 in like 2 days......
Yea I've been there with floranova. I've been as high as 1500ppm+ and yea it gets super concentrated. But that was before I really knew shit. I still grew monsters but we're always toast before they came down. Leaves were roasted. The cure took way longer and flavor was never where I wanted it. But I swear you'll still grow monsters. That was when I just topped off with water and changed 7-10 days. I've noticed maybe the plants aren't quite as big but the product is def better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom