First time grower. Immediately went with RDWC

• Thread starter Fro5ty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

And should I add hydroguard to a running system, little by little, or will the chance happen that it shocks the plants? I don’t find any info yet. Only to put in it at 2ml/L

pH is about to settle at 5.7 I think
Yeah add at half strength. Hydrogaurd is a bacteria it won't do any harm. Just an expensive waste if over dosed

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Yeah add at half strength. Hydrogaurd is a bacteria it won't do any harm. Just an expensive waste if over dosed
What do you mean “at half strength”? 50/50 hydroguard/RO water?

and if i dont let te water touch the netpots, at the highest pot, its at least 2 inches in the lowest pot (difference in floor height)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

And if they don’t touch the net pot. How will they get nutritions to grow roots?
You have airstone in each bucket right?

The bubbles breaking the surface mist the bottom of the net pot and you top feed I would say with RW every 2-3 days. In peat or rapids everyday until the roots hot the water. The air Goin in means air coming out from the hydroton. This is very humid so the roots don't dry when the 2 are combined. Because they were started in a cube they need to transition and if the RW stays soaked there is no gas exchange unless running a constant top feed loop as some do for the first week for that reason.

They need air but they need to stay in 100% humidity so they don't air prune or become damaged.

After they have a bit of roots in the water they will have plenty of dissolved o2 and you can raise the water level if you like. I keep mine 1". And don't listen to the bro science of lowering g your water so the roots grow better to seek it out. The bubbles breaking the surface keep the roots coming put of the net pot misted and if it to low that's when you often see then slightly turn brown compared to the submerge root and often after that root rot sets in.. 9/10 you see it start I the area between the water level and the net pot.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

You have airstone in each bucket right?

The bubbles breaking the surface mist the bottom of the net pot and you top feed I would say with RW every 2-3 days. In peat or rapids everyday until the roots hot the water. The air Goin in means air coming out from the hydroton. This is very humid so the roots don't dry when the 2 are combined. Because they were started in a cube they need to transition and if the RW stays soaked there is no gas exchange unless running a constant top feed loop as some do for the first week for that reason.

They need air but they need to stay in 100% humidity so they don't air prune or become damaged.

After they have a bit of roots in the water they will have plenty of dissolved o2 and you can raise the water level if you like. I keep mine 1". And don't listen to the bro science of lowering g your water so the roots grow better to seek it out. The bubbles breaking the surface keep the roots coming put of the net pot misted and if it to low that's when you often see then slightly turn brown compared to the submerge root and often after that root rot sets in.. 9/10 you see it start I the area between the water level and the net pot.
Thank you!!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What do you mean “at half strength”? 50/50 hydroguard/RO water?

and if i dont let te water touch the netpots, at the highest pot, its at least 2 inches in the lowest pot (difference in floor height)
That's hydro block the others up. System has to be level.

Hydrogaurd at half the recommended dose.

Think 1ml per L or gal is half? I'd have to look at my bottle if it's still around. Prob threw it out since it would be expired like 2 yrs now.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Think 1ml per L or gal is half? I'd have to look at my bottle if it's still around. Prob threw it out since it would be expired like 2 yrs now.
The plants are doing better. Looks like some even had some growth on the new nodes.

pH rised from 5.8 to 6.2 when I was asleep. I’m going to put my laundry in and wash some more pebbles because I see that light goes in to some of the potts because they’re not filled to the brim with pebbles. I assume that moisture also will get out then.

I have no way to level my buckets at this point. But, when I putted the clones in, they were all the same height of the water. One clone sticks deeper in the bucket then the other clone. So they should at least all have the same height of the water. Only the netpots diverse in height. Some have an half inch. Others 1,5 inches.
Some of them definitely look happier then yesterdat and I see no new yellowing or burnder tips. So it was either the solution that was to high or the lights to intense/low.
I’m going too put nutritions in the RO water of my tank. Will the water stay good till next weekend? I assume they aren’t going to drink that much now they’re small. So it would be more for the next water refresh.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

So I’ve seen that some leaves are crumpling. There are these 2 plants that have the same crumple, ar the same spot. Could it be because of the wind?
4BC006EF 56CF 442E 99B7 83CD36C3FC3C
760D9121 2240 4746 BF1E B22473F274A8
B531A666 6472 4D81 A7A9 6A5EAF24A619
315D46C9 4EDB 4B7F A922 71A091A75075

here are some other photo’s. Some are still droopy.

9E813D71 F7D6 4DB3 9302 335B309B4B69
7848CAE0 8B0E 4E7A 82B7 BA6C1851F2A6
C617F4C3 5289 4A7B A9BA 5902FE97CD8B

This is the one I snapped. I don’t think he is going to make it…
87694DBC ADFA 4F47 BF50 99A6806D3B96
0D3E7A83 C389 4B7D 9A66 EB8816C60C28
26E69996 2223 4150 9478 F1DFED184A31
B0429A50 2C5F 4769 BA55 561917F7879C

CBD0282B FB20 40C8 97C1 721DB5E52039
Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Hey man.

looks like my post doesn’t have any traction anymore. Should I make a new one?
I just saw that all the plants have gotten purple stems. Should I be worried? Yesterday only like half of them were purple. I was planning today to put nutes in the reservoir but now I’m afraid that my plants will die before next weekend. And those nutes are going to waste…

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

how do your new nodes look? I wouldnt worry about old growth as much as new growth.
The new growth is a lixed bag. Some plants barely had new growth, maybe none. Others did good. Some of them the new growth is yellowish tho. I’ll add some pics in 5 minutes. Then you can compare them with the ones from yesterday.

I’m hoping that by writing every I do, down hete. You guys will help me with my first grow. Because I have the feeling that the things that I learned the last months, aren’t always the correct info… Like with the EC…

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

So I havnt been following as well as I should, you and Aqua gotta lot going on. Yall both lost me lol. . So to add a different train of thought. .

I looked at your nutrients, it looks like they try to copy the flora trio series. If so, do you use calmag? Then im wondering what kind of plugs those clones were in, they looked amazing honestly. Im more less wondering if the plugs where ph neutral and did they have feed in them?

So, in my experience, once there are roots, or the stem and first node is above the bucket lids, I fill the pots with water. I like to keep my rockwool completely submerged under water. The hydroguard will promote growth by keeping the roots clean and destroying pythium. I see on here Aqua is recommending to keep water level under the netpot for misting, which im sure works. I just never do that and I find it also works too. So yea, ill recommend trying to fill the system, this will allow whatever was left in those plugs to exit and dissipate into the water. This will also make it easier for the BB to make a lovely home inside your starter plugs.

If your stems on new growth are red, I find it means its overfed(unless too much light). For your stage right now, with those nutrients, I would be at 225ppm, or .3ec. I find there are 3 options. Not feeding it a specific nutrient, feeding it a nutrient, and overfeeding it a nutrient. Basically if you make a fresh batch at 225, it might not sound like its enough, but I can assure you it is. Now how long that solution will last is dependent on how many plants you have and your res size. I have 6 plants in an 80 gallon system so it lasts a while. For example my sprouts will be at this 225 ppm, and they just broke surface, first node opening. Im going to fill the tote the rest of the way today, and I wont add more nutrients until my ppm is about 150.

Im not the best at chemistry, but im pretty good at helping others figure shit out somehow lol. . .Anyways, just a thought. Hell id let a few drops of clonex gel slide down into the plugs first. Then perhaps a slight top feed to wash it down low.

Like I dont see how this isnt an uptake problem. Ive also have only been growing for a short time so dont do anything I say, unless it makes sense to you. I just know what id be doing if I were you lol.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

how do your new nodes look? I wouldnt worry about old growth as much as new growth.
I don’t really see any new growth if I compare the photo’s. So it’s hard to tell.
So I havnt been following as well as I should, you and Aqua gotta lot going on. Yall both lost me lol. . So to add a different train of thought. .

I looked at your nutrients, it looks like they try to copy the flora trio series. If so, do you use calmag? Then im wondering what kind of plugs those clones were in, they looked amazing honestly. Im more less wondering if the plugs where ph neutral and did they have feed in them?

So, in my experience, once there are roots, or the stem and first node is above the bucket lids, I fill the pots with water. I like to keep my rockwool completely submerged under water. The hydroguard will promote growth by keeping the roots clean and destroying pythium. I see on here Aqua is recommending to keep water level under the netpot for misting, which im sure works. I just never do that and I find it also works too. So yea, ill recommend trying to fill the system, this will allow whatever was left in those plugs to exit and dissipate into the water. This will also make it easier for the BB to make a lovely home inside your starter plugs.

If your stems on new growth are red, I find it means its overfed. For your stage right now, with those nutrients, I would be at 225ppm, or .3ec. I find there are 3 options. Not feeding it a specific nutrient, feeding it a nutrient, and overfeeding it a nutrient. Basically if you make a fresh batch at 225, it might not sound like its enough, but I can assure you it is. Now how long that solution will last is dependent on how many plants you have and your res size. I have 6 plants in an 80 gallon system so it lasts a while. For example my sprouts will be at this 225 ppm, and they just broke surface, first node opening. Im going to fill the tote the rest of the way today, and I wont add more nutrients until my ppm is about 150.

Im not the best at chemistry, but im pretty good at helping others figure shit out somehow lol. . .Anyways, just a thought. Hell id let a few drops of clonex gel slide down into the plugs first. Then perhaps a slight top feed to wash it down low.

Like I dont see how this isnt an uptake problem. Ive also have only been growing for a short time so dont do anything I say, unless it makes sense to you. I just know what id be doing if I were you lol.
I’m having fresh RO water ready to make a new solution.

60CCBDFF 3566 44A7 B31B 025D24E1FD11

this is the same plant. The leaf that I’m holding has gotten worse the last days. The first pic is today.

So I was really planning to make a nutrition solution that’s stronger, before your reply. I honestly just used the Tri-part, Hydroguard and balanced my pH. I didn’t use Cal-Mag. As I was told that it’s a supplement and to wait with supplements to decrease the chance of lock-out. There is already cal-mag in the tri-part to. Should I add 2ml/L anyway in the new batch? Should I flush with pH balanced tapwater first?

also: I’m maybe was stupid, but I filled my next reservoir on Friday. How long does RO water with very little nutrition in it (still 0.0EC) stay good before it goed stale? And will it last another week when I add it on (original plan was) Wensday?

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

If your stems on new growth are red, I find it means its overfed(unless too much light). For your stage right now, with those nutrients, I would be at 225ppm, or .3ec. I find there are 3 options. Not feeding it a specific nutrient, feeding it a nutrient, and overfeeding it a nutrient. Basically if you make a fresh batch at 225, it might not sound like its enough, but I can assure you it is. Now how long that solution will last is dependent on how many plants you have and your res size. I have 6 plants in an 80 gallon system so it lasts a while. For example my sprouts will be at this 225 ppm, and they just broke surface, first node opening. Im going to fill the tote the rest of the way today, and I wont add more nutrients until my ppm is about 150.

Also to add. Yesterday was the first day that I was home to see the lights go off. Normally I go to work and the lights go off and back on before I come home. NOW. Yesterday I saw my timer of 1 600W light was malfunctioning. So it’s possible that it stayed on 24h a day. It swicthed of the moment I took the plastic cover of. I’m going to see today if he is going to shut off on it’s own. Maybe that is also the cause of the problem that I’m having? Altho the leaf tha I showed you, looks like it has gotten worse overnight…

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I don’t really see any new growth if I compare the photo’s. So it’s hard to tell.

I’m having fresh RO water ready to make a new solution.

View attachment 1181949

this is the same plant. The leaf that I’m holding has gotten worse the last days. The first pic is today.

So I was really planning to make a nutrition solution that’s stronger, before your reply. I honestly just used the Tri-part, Hydroguard and balanced my pH. I didn’t use Cal-Mag. As I was told that it’s a supplement and to wait with supplements to decrease the chance of lock-out. There is already cal-mag in the tri-part to. Should I add 2ml/L anyway in the new batch? Should I flush with pH balanced tapwater first?

also: I’m maybe was stupid, but I filled my next reservoir on Friday. How long does RO water with very little nutrition in it (still 0.0EC) stay good before it goed stale? And will it last another week when I add it on (original plan was) Wensday?
My 80 gallon has been sitting for almost a month, i just keep topping it off, ive added over 50 gallon so far. As long as you dont get root rot, it will last until you dump it.

So yea im not famaliar with those nutrients, but being the plant in the picture im looking at is doing good, id say they work without calmag? Idk, i like regular trio with calmag. That stuff says its mixed in, perhaps it is, yea lets just assume it is. So if you were overfeeding that one plant there would have red stems too.

Im still gonna say they are having a hard time pulling the nutrients up to them. Yet when they do, like this one pictured, they will be fine? Id have to see a top shot of that new growth on this one thats going well.

Basically if you have a few that go perfect, yet most die, it was prolly the plugs not allowing the solution to get to the plant? What plugs are those?

Edit: do you use RO water?

Last edited:
Fro5ty

Fro5ty

My 80 gallon has been sitting for almost a month, i just keep topping it off, ive added over 50 gallon so far. As long as you dont get root rot, it will last until you dump it.

So yea im not famaliar with those nutrients, but being the plant in the picture im looking at is doing good, id say they work without calmag? Idk, i like regular trio with calmag. That stuff says its mixed in, perhaps it is, yea lets just assume it is. So if you were overfeeding that one plant there would have red stems too.

Im still gonna say they are having a hard time pulling the nutrients up to them. Yet when they do, like this one pictured, they will be fine? Id have to see a top shot of that new growth on this one thats going well.

Basically if you have a few that go perfect, yet most die, it was prolly the plugs not allowing the solution to get to the plant? What plugs are those?

I use RO water, it goes to 0,0EC.

I’ll take some top photos and then we can compare them in 2-3 days.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

74FC86AD 2CC8 407F A81E 44C44A351258
B23ED5E5 D618 4B66 9F14 A9933355526B
5CF7834D C3F2 445B BD96 83329B715B10
2490FE60 1866 4B79 8CF2 F3CDF1A448B8
367874AD 0509 4EA1 AB2D 9C9CA7076775
A8B10A4A 88B4 4664 AA0C 263FE5505D6F
39FB9969 E61A 44DD B285 2E8D442BC481

The last one is the one you asked. I don’t see any real growth yet on this one. I took pics on the first day of transplant. But the photo’s were focused on the baf leaf and don’t have the top on it. You can see the photo’s on page 2 of the threat I believe.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Are they flowering??? I swear it looks like 2 of them are getting pistols hairs.

All those plants will be fine in the pictures. All of them have have good new growth, and most of the growth can sustain.

Id also raise the room temps a bit.

Show some top pics of the plants your worried most about. Cause those will be fine. At this point to ease your mind you can even cut off the bad leafs on those pictured. Theres enough new growth to say the grow will be fine. I say clip it so you wont think there are issues. Now if those top new fan leafs were all distorted sure, its still got issues. But you wont be fixing the damage in leafs caused by issues, so instead of looking at it all the time, snip them off. Since they are not dead though, they will still help with growth. I only say removing them to ease your mind lol..

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Are they flowering??? I swear it looks like 2 of them are getting pistols hairs.

All those plants will be fine in the pictures. All of them have have good new growth, and most of the growth can sustain.

Id also raise the room temps a bit.

Show some top pics of the plants your worried most about. Cause those will be fine. At this point to ease your mind you can even cut off the bad leafs on those pictured. Theres enough new growth to say the grow will be fine. I say clip it so you wont think there are issues. Now if those top new fan leafs were all distorted sure, its still got issues. But you wont be fixing the damage in leafs caused by issues, so instead of looking at it all the time, snip them off. Since they are not dead though, they will still help with growth. I only say removing them to ease your mind lol..
Oh no. I think i got a pest…

I found webs on 2 of my plants. And I see little white dots. The dots don’t look like bugs or eggs tho. I took some pictures. Altho the webs are kind of unclear. My back camera on ly iPhone doesn’t work. So I can only use the selfie camera. It’s a pain in the ass.
65BBEBCA BF0F 4501 8874 CCEA0D52A8C2
E9DDB1B6 2B92 48C4 8974 50D8D5D71ED0
CC400C29 F883 479D 9BEA 00F9DD843D76

I can’t find anything under the leaves. Only on the top side of the leaves…

Top Bottom