First time grower. What you guys think?

• Thread starter Rolandomota
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deke

Deke

This is how I watered at that stage. Every two or three days with a sprayer. Can't over water this way.
20190902 061058

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

So a lil update my plants started to look really sad. And I burned on of the leaves bad with light being to close. I did not account for the growth. Well I transferred to one gallon smart pots. And added better soil then what I had. I was using miracle grow. Now I am using foxfarm ocean soil. Also bought some of their bottles to add to water to help them grow. Another fuck up I was doing was not checking ph well imma start doing that also after I mix all the food. So here goes nothing gotta learn from my mistakes. Also just got the last of what I need for my grow tent pictures to came later. Thanks for everyone that has taken time to answer my question. Oh I for got to mention how bad the roots looked lots of them were brown and dead looking with a funny smell to them. All the roots had collected at the bottom near the drain hole. They never spread around the soil. So yeah gotta learn some how right lol.

20191026 203052
20191026 203049
20191026 202925
20191026 202922
20191026 202920
20191026 202911
20191026 202904
20191026 202846
20191026 202849
20191026 202852
20191026 183049
20191026 183046
20191026 182920
Rolandomota

Rolandomota

Not sure what happened but losing a leaf if it was ripped of is no concern.
No I had moved my grow box. Had people over when they left put it back. Put light a lil to close and burned the leaf while I was out. Here is a pic of said leaf.

20191025 212317
Rolandomota

Rolandomota

Yeah I hope so I had to replant early roots were super fn bad. Had them in clay pots with bad soil long ass steam and at the very bottom a root ball. Was hard to get out of pot and that was letting soil get dry dry. Just have them their first feeding with the new shit I got. So I'm hoping for the best.

20191026 183052
Nihle65

Nihle65

O
Yeah I've been doing that water about every 2 days. I even do the finger method knuckle deep lmao. But yeah the roots scared me. I might go buy some more lights help her grow big. I've been putting them out side in the morning and bring them in around 6. Think that's helped them grow. Also have them on 24hr light.
Plants are like people, they to need sleep. I always go with 18/6 in veg.
Don't over think things bro.

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

Yeah I do. And in a first time grower trying tio grey this down. So you think 24hrs light is bag for them? I have heard both good and bad. I think they ste coming back to life. I'll post some pics in a lil while.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Agree and disagree. In hydro most run sterile systems but even the live systems have limited bacteria and usually no beneficial fungi i will get to this importance in a min.

Here is what i'm getting at. While growing under 24 hr light does work its not that the plants get tired and need sleep like people. There a couple tings here one in very high light they do benefit from a calvin cycle to aid in optimal photosynthesis and prevent photorespiration (keeping this very simple) during lights on. But in mid to lower light like most indoor grows this is not really need and 24hr light can be run without any slow down of photosynthesis or photorespiration happening.

Now in during the calvin cycle the plants release starches and other goodies that feed and attract beneficial bacteria these bacteria and fungi form a symbiotic relationship with the plant. The plants feeds them and the bacteria and fungi break down nutrients ans produce enzymes beneficail to the plant as well as provide defenses against other pathogens and nasties. This is the benefit in soil.

So my view is that if your in hydro go for it run 24/7 if you not blasting them with 80k lux. If you are in soil there is a clear benefit to running 18/6 even without a massive amount of light.

I should add these process do carry out to some extent even in 24 hr light

My opinion only

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Agree and disagree. In hydro most run sterile systems but even the live systems have limited bacteria and usually no beneficial fungi i will get to this importance in a min.

Here is what i'm getting at. While growing under 24 hr light does work its not that the plants get tired and need sleep like people. There a couple tings here one in very high light they do benefit from a calvin cycle to aid in optimal photosynthesis and prevent photorespiration (keeping this very simple) during lights on. But in mid to lower light like most indoor grows this is not really need and 24hr light can be run without any slow down of photosynthesis or photorespiration happening.

Now in during the calvin cycle the plants release starches and other goodies that feed and attract beneficial bacteria these bacteria and fungi form a symbiotic relationship with the plant. The plants feeds them and the bacteria and fungi break down nutrients ans produce enzymes beneficail to the plant as well as provide defenses against other pathogens and nasties. This is the benefit in soil.

So my view is that if your in hydro go for it run 24/7 if you not blasting them with 80k lux. If you are in soil there is a clear benefit to running 18/6 even without a massive amount of light.

I should add these process do carry out to some extent even in 24 hr light

My opinion only

This is very interesting. I had better growth and way less stress through to the end with 18/6. 24 hrs gave sick and stressed plants when i was new so i switched. Never occured to me that in veg i water only and use ocean forest like supersoil but with transplants and have a root zone full of beneficial bacteria i need to feed.

Now i can manage the 24 hrs fine but it does require fertilization. Now i know why.

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

This is very interesting. I had better growth and way less stress through to the end with 18/6. 24 hrs gave sick and stressed plants when i was new so i switched. Never occured to me that in veg i water only and use ocean forest like supersoil but with transplants and have a root zone full of beneficial bacteria i need to feed.

Now i can manage the 24 hrs fine but it does require fertilization. Now i know why.
So when you did 24hrs in the beginning you had issues? Well hell maybe I really need to switch to 18/6. I used that to replant my plants. Also I feed them that stuff at lower levels the what they say to of course. And well they look better then they were looking. I replanted the in one gallon air pod things.

20191027 112040
20191026 183049
20191026 183046
20191026 182920
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

They are not going to get airflow tucked into those bags like that. If ya can roll down the rims.

We see that a lot. Half filled cups and pots. Is it just mis calculating the volumes? I added 25% perlite to a bag of happy frog from the beginning and that filled 5 nursery pots. But i was worried at the time.

That doesnt explain the seedling cups. I leave a gap to back fill when the seedling stretches but not half a cup. I read the taproot should have 4-5 inches to go down for best root ball results. Greenhouse seeds site says that too.

Sorry i am high and babbling.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

We see that a lot. Half filled cups and pots. Is it just mis calculating the volumes? I added 25% perlite to a bag of happy frog from the beginning and that filled 5 nursery pots. But i was worried at the time.

That doesnt explain the seedling cups. I leave a gap to back fill when the seedling stretches but not half a cup. I read the taproot should have 4-5 inches to go down for best root ball results. Greenhouse seeds site says that too.

Sorry i am high and babbling.
Lol nope that makes perfect sense.... I see many posts of 3-5 day old seedlings asking why they are stretching... and often they light burnt them trying to get them more light to prevent stretch. Seeds stretch IME they always do for the first weekish

Top Bottom