First time grower. What you guys think?

• Thread starter Rolandomota
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So when you did 24hrs in the beginning you had issues? Well hell maybe I really need to switch to 18/6. I used that to replant my plants. Also I feed them that stuff at lower levels the what they say to of course. And well they look better then they were looking. I replanted the in one gallon air pod things.

We all go through the learning curve and then some.

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

We see that a lot. Half filled cups and pots. Is it just mis calculating the volumes? I added 25% perlite to a bag of happy frog from the beginning and that filled 5 nursery pots. But i was worried at the time.

That doesnt explain the seedling cups. I leave a gap to back fill when the seedling stretches but not half a cup. I read the taproot should have 4-5 inches to go down for best root ball results. Greenhouse seeds site says that too.

Sorry i am high and babbling.
Nah your good bro. And I need to fold them down cause not gonna replant lol.

Nihle65

Nihle65

Agree and disagree. In hydro most run sterile systems but even the live systems have limited bacteria and usually no beneficial fungi i will get to this importance in a min.

Here is what i'm getting at. While growing under 24 hr light does work its not that the plants get tired and need sleep like people. There a couple tings here one in very high light they do benefit from a calvin cycle to aid in optimal photosynthesis and prevent photorespiration (keeping this very simple) during lights on. But in mid to lower light like most indoor grows this is not really need and 24hr light can be run without any slow down of photosynthesis or photorespiration happening.

Now in during the calvin cycle the plants release starches and other goodies that feed and attract beneficial bacteria these bacteria and fungi form a symbiotic relationship with the plant. The plants feeds them and the bacteria and fungi break down nutrients ans produce enzymes beneficail to the plant as well as provide defenses against other pathogens and nasties. This is the benefit in soil.

So my view is that if your in hydro go for it run 24/7 if you not blasting them with 80k lux. If you are in soil there is a clear benefit to running 18/6 even without a massive amount of light.

I should add these process do carry out to some extent even in 24 hr light

My opinion only
I did fail to mention that im in pro mix for the 18/6. But im with you on the hydro, i'd be doing 24/7....

Nihle65

Nihle65

We see that a lot. Half filled cups and pots. Is it just mis calculating the volumes? I added 25% perlite to a bag of happy frog from the beginning and that filled 5 nursery pots. But i was worried at the time.

That doesnt explain the seedling cups. I leave a gap to back fill when the seedling stretches but not half a cup. I read the taproot should have 4-5 inches to go down for best root ball results. Greenhouse seeds site says that too.

Sorry i am high and babbling.
puff puff pass... Lol...

Nihle65

Nihle65

I agree with most posts move the light closer use the hand method back to your hand hold your hand over the plant and then feel the back of your hand if the light is too hot then it's too close it's look worm it's perfect I would definitely put it about 4 in from your plants also I'd put a low speed fan to strengthen up them lonView attachment 903015View attachment 903015View attachment 903015g stems.. Happy growing I'm using a 600 w HPS and it's 16 in from my plant this is my new purple urkel lady
Nice job.
Beautiful...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

They looking better. Well kinda. Lol.

Yup. New healthy looking growth there. But the soil still looks very unevenly dry. It really should be saturated at this point and let to dry properly between waterings. That is what makes the roots search and grow looking for nutrients and moisture all through the pot. Which is ultimately our goal. A dense packed pot of roots.

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

Yup. New healthy looking growth there. But the soil still looks very unevenly dry. It really should be saturated at this point and let to dry properly between waterings. That is what makes the roots search and grow looking for nutrients and moisture all through the pot. Which is ultimately our goal. A dense packed pot of roots.
Yeah I guess I need to learn how to water. Didn't wanna over water. Guess it's hard to learn how to hit that wet spot lol well for me it is I guess.

Bud shiners

Bud shiners

Yes looks very good I agree looks a little dry Don't worry about overwatering with cloth pots hard to overwater with cloth pods That's one of the reasons they were design plus for airflow also you can get yourself a water reading meter at Fred Meyer for about four bucks but I use the pickup method water your cloth pots about 20% runoff then feel the weight of them then wait three or four days and when you pick up the pot again it'll Will be really lightweight almost like a feather That's when I water but I agree that's what it looks like on some of your little guys that are droopy leaves it needs some water evenly again don't worry about overwatering and cloth pots That's why they were designed plus to have good air flows this updated man happy farming

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah I guess I need to learn how to water. Didn't wanna over water. Guess it's hard to learn how to hit that wet spot lol well for me it is I guess.

Over watering is more too often than too much. Watering to saturation and then runoff is important. when they are young if in a big pot is the only time to water lightly in a ring around them.

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

Yes looks very good I agree looks a little dry Don't worry about overwatering with cloth pots hard to overwater with cloth pods That's one of the reasons they were design plus for airflow also you can get yourself a water reading meter at Fred Meyer for about four bucks but I use the pickup method water your cloth pots about 20% runoff then feel the weight of them then wait three or four days and when you pick up the pot again it'll Will be really lightweight almost like a feather That's when I water but I agree that's what it looks like on some of your little guys that are droopy leaves it needs some water evenly again don't worry about overwatering and cloth pots That's why they were designed plus to have good air flows this updated man happy farming
Ok thanks for the info. I guess I'll wait a day or 2 before I water since I believe I feed then water then feed. Could be wrong?

Top Bottom